Steve Young: A Football Life

32EBoozer

NFLN had Steve Young biopic on yesterday. On several occasions he would be narrating from his book “In The Huddle with...Steve Young. Or maybe “ Qb: Behind the Spiral”

I took extra interest because Zach listened to his audio book. Man that guy was tough when he ran the ball. Reminded me of Warren Moon the way he gave as good as he got. Zach better not try imitating that part of his game. 

Key takeaways: 
    * Handling fan reactions & expectations: Young’s battle with replacing an aging legend. Having Zach understand and manage the pressure of carrying the hopes of long suffering Jet fans is critically important. Seeing the last young QB shown the door after 3 years & having the ability to shut that out (like Young in SF replacing Montana) and perform at a very high level will require discipline.

* Overcoming disappointment & challenges: The 49ers faces the Aikman, Irving, Smith Dallas Cowboys in ‘92 & ‘93 and lost both game’s handily. Young speaks about how he came to realize the more difficult the challenge the greater the accomplishment. Even told the story of meeting Troy at the 50 and saying “ Thanks for coming today” and how Troy responded “ Um yeah.... ok” Young was the MVP in a 38 - 28 win.

There was a lot of other “Zen like” quotes in the book and I’m glad Zach has been preparing for this moment for a decade (driving & flying all over the country to participate in All-Star camp & using the free time to listen to Young and other successful people’s audiobooks on the way). This kids all about competing & succeeding. He has the arm strength and the mental chops learning the system and playbook. His working on the mental preparation aspect can be the thing that gets this kid over the top.

Brady didn’t have the unique physical gifts to be the GOAT. It’s been his tenacity, hatred of losing and his mental awareness and grit that has defined his success..... hoping Zach can achieve the same, but it will be a heavy lift. At least he’s started the process.

Steve Young knows this kid and his family and was openly pushing for the 49ers to get to #2 to take Zach while also begging the Jets to pass on him so as to not destroy his future 😁

Edited by 32EBoozer
  • Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, isired said:

And with all of that, crazy to think Young was a 30 year old, 6 year NFL veteran before he became SF's QB1. It's not like he was some young rook trying to navigate all of that.

Yeah that had to be humbling for a guy who is in the CFL HOF and the NFL HOF.

Siefert wasn’t exactly the greatest coach either.

I also watched Troy Aikman A Football Life. Jerry Jones screwed that organization big time getting rid of JJ. They could have had 2 additional SB rings! Aikman was cursing out Switzer openly about needing to be a leader. One day in camp Irving and several other guys sneak out of camp and don’t come back until 6 AM. They’re hung over and Switzer calls off practice early saying “you guys aren’t with it today” Aikman gets in Switzers face calling him out. Switzer says “you want me to cut Michael Irving”? Aikman says “No, you start by cutting that guy and that guy and that guy on the spot and make Irving run until he pukes”!
Aikman was a tough SOB and it was sad how his career ended.

3 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Reminded me of Warren Moon the way he gave as good as he got. Zach better not try imitating that part of his game. 

My best friend growing up was the biggest Warren Moon fan.  I watched him as much as the Jets.  He threw the tightest prettiest spiral ever.

But for the life of me I cannot remember him ever running with the ball. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

NFLN had Steve Young biopic on yesterday. On several occasions he would be narrating from his book “In The Huddle with...Steve Young. Or maybe “ Qb: Behind the Spiral”

I took extra interest because Zach listened to his audio book. Man that guy was tough when he ran the ball. Reminded me of Warren Moon the way he gave as good as he got. Zach better not try imitating that part of his game. 

K

Did you ever see Joe Kapp play?? He knocked out a LB'er that was trying to tackle him. Not a great QB but a tough dude..

4 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Key takeaways: 
    * Handling fan reactions & expectations: Young’s battle with replacing an aging legend. Having Zach understand and manage the pressure of carrying the hopes of long suffering Jet fans is critically important. Seeing the last young QB shown the door after 3 years & having the ability to shut that out (like Young in SF replacing Montana) and perform at a very high level will require discipline.

* Overcoming disappointment & challenges: The 49ers faces the Aikman, Irving, Smith Dallas Cowboys in ‘92 & ‘93 and lost both game’s handily. Young speaks about how he came to realize the more difficult the challenge the greater the accomplishment. Even told the story of meeting Troy at the 50 and saying “ Thanks for coming today” and how Troy responded “ Um yeah.... ok” Young was the MVP in a 38 - 28 win.

There was a lot of other “Zen like” quotes in the book and I’m glad Zach has been preparing for this moment for a decade (driving & flying all over the country to participate in All-Star camp & using the free time to listen to Young and other successful people’s audiobooks on the way). This kids all about competing & succeeding. He has the arm strength and the mental chops learning the system and playbook. His working on the mental preparation aspect can be the thing that gets this kid over the top.

Brady didn’t have the unique physical gifts to be the GOAT. It’s been his tenacity, hatred of losing and his mental awareness and grit that has defined his success..... hoping Zach can achieve the same, but it will be a heavy lift. At least he’s started the process.

Steve Young knows this kid and his family and was openly pushing for the 49ers to get to #2 to take Zach while also begging the Jets to pass on him so as to not destroy his future 😁

Ok great but has Wilson played Madden since he was a toddler. That would really impress me. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

My best friend growing up was the biggest Warren Moon fan.  I watched him as much as the Jets.  He threw the tightest prettiest spiral ever.

But for the life of me I cannot remember him ever running with the ball. 

ty... Moon was a great passer but runner???... 

23 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Key takeaways: 

I've checked & haven't seen any highlights of that in the NFL...  maybe when he was in college or the cfl but nothing worth talking about from the NFL... Steve Young was a Beast running in college, the usfl & the NFL... nonetheless, I don't want Zach having to run at all if that's possible & if he does I want him to slide like he's stealing second.

1 hour ago, jetsons said:

ty... Moon was a great passer but runner???... 

I've checked & haven't seen any highlights of that in the NFL...  maybe when he was in college or the cfl but nothing worth talking about from the NFL... Steve Young was a Beast running in college, the usfl & the NFL... nonetheless, I don't want Zach having to run at all if that's possible & if he does I want him to slide like he's stealing second.

Steve had that one amazing run vs the Vikings (??).  Young was quite the scrambler early in his career.

On 5/29/2021 at 12:14 PM, Savage69 said:

Did you ever see Joe Kapp play?? He knocked out a LB'er that was trying to tackle him. Not a great QB but a tough dude..

Better yet, Bert Jones with the Baltimore Colts.  

He banged as good as anyone I've seen get and he was one hell of a QB until the injuries ended his effectiveness 

56 minutes ago, Larz said:

Rice made Montana and Young not the other way around 

Yeah. Right. That's 100%, false. 

1981 Montana went 13-3 (SB Champions). 

1983 Montana went 10-6 (NFC Championship Game appearance). 

1984 Montana went 14-1 (SB Champions). 

Etc. 

And lol Jerry Rice wasn't even drafted until 1985...

Montana was already a 2x SB winner and a 3x Pro Bowl QB (by the time Rice arrived)...

so wtf are you talking about?!?

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1