JETS COULD BE MAJOR PLAYERS IN POST-JUNE 1 FA, BUT.........

15 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

That’s 100% unfounded speculation. You are a verified troll 

Which part?  The weight and condition part?  I dont think that's speculation.

The he doesnt love Football part?  100% speculation.  Troll?  Unfair.  He was pulling himself from games for toe nails and sniffles.

• Sympathy 1

21 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

He was pulling himself from games for toe nails and sniffles

You know for a fact that he pulled himself from games? The coaches didn’t ask him why are you limping or why are you having an issue catching your breath? Did they make the decision to bench him in a lost season or did Becton request out. 
Becton played 70% of snaps last season with no offseason workout supervision by training staff, limited camp and preseason games. Coaching staff smart to find a man of his size and long term importance some rest. 

Only Fant 84% and McGovern 98%played noticeably more snaps than Becton and they’re JAGS who don’t need management at this stage of their career.

Give this narrative a rest already!

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, AlexVanDyke said:

This may be a dumb question but if a team is under the cap by a decent amount, doesn’t it make sense to accelerate the pay of certain guys so that we will have more capnroom in the future?

Why would we want to stay $10 MM under the cap ina particular year? Wouldnt it be wiser to give more money this year to a q Williams or m bechton so they can count less on the cap in future years allowing us more flexibility?

Not dumb.  There is a non-obvious answer though.  You can rollover unused cap into next year (subject to an 89% rule described below).

The final element of determining cap space comes in the form of adjustments. The biggest of these is the salary cap “rollover”. This “rollover” allows teams to bring their unused cap from the previous season into the current season. For 2020, the Indianapolis Colts led the league rolling over more than $41 million from 2019, with a total of seven teams rolling over more than $20 million. These numbers are then added to the base salary cap, $198 million in 2019, to give each team a final cap number.

Teams are limited from stockpiling huge cap numbers into one or two years by the NFL’s 89% rule. The 89% rule means that in any four-year period a team must spend more than 89% of its cap in “cash spending.” There are ways around this for teams, including paying players big upfront bonuses that count as a “cash spend” in that season while sharing the salary cap hit across the life of the contract.

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Not dumb.  There is a non-obvious answer though.  You can rollover unused cap into next year (subject to an 89% rule described below).

The final element of determining cap space comes in the form of adjustments. The biggest of these is the salary cap “rollover”. This “rollover” allows teams to bring their unused cap from the previous season into the current season. For 2020, the Indianapolis Colts led the league rolling over more than $41 million from 2019, with a total of seven teams rolling over more than $20 million. These numbers are then added to the base salary cap, $198 million in 2019, to give each team a final cap number.

Teams are limited from stockpiling huge cap numbers into one or two years by the NFL’s 89% rule. The 89% rule means that in any four-year period a team must spend more than 89% of its cap in “cash spending.” There are ways around this for teams, including paying players big upfront bonuses that count as a “cash spend” in that season while sharing the salary cap hit across the life of the contract.

I’m hoping for a trade with NO Saints or Atlanta to help them out of Cap he’ll while providing us a stud CB or 4-3 LB. we need to accelerate the the upward trajectory of this team while we have an abundance of cap space, draft picks & young talent. We need to be be pushing our timeline as Buffalo & Miami are way ahead of us. We need better personnel quickly while these rookies and 2nd year are cheap

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Maybe our coaches who worked with him, those left in SF know how little he has left?

wat.jpg

If we sign Richard Sherman it will be to play a Josh McCown type roll to our young CBs.  I'd have no problem with that as long as it doesn't take away valuable reps in training camp from the young guys.  And let's remember just how many truly young players we have at CB because it's like.... all of them!  Hall, Austin, Guidry, Lamar Jackson + 2 rookies puts the combined average experience at something like 0.8 seasons of NFL football. So having Sherman there to lead by example, to whisper in the ears of these guys, to say, "Here's why you're keying off the TE before the snap in deciding whether to bale out on the underneath route," is important stuff.

6 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

The GM told us his plans for FA?  

And youre going to take him at his word?

He didnt flat out say he wasnt going after a CB in June.  He didnt say he was happy with the QB situation 

They may or may not sign a couple of players.  Or they might.  Will have nothing to do with a presser JD gave in May

There's way more than just the statements from Saleh and JD that point to this

There is nobody currently on the market with enough upside to be worthy of the investment of either $ or young player time that would be required. There is also no rush, plenty of time to see how things shake out around the league. If a player like Lattimore could be had that is another thing altogether but I would drive a very hard bargain if I were JD.

• Sympathy 2

9 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

There's way more than just the statements from Saleh and JD that point to this

OK.  You’re starting with the premise that when JD talks about players he’s telling the truth.  

3 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

You know for a fact that he pulled himself from games? The coaches didn’t ask him why are you limping or why are you having an issue catching your breath? Did they make the decision to bench him in a lost season or did Becton request out. 
Becton played 70% of snaps last season with no offseason workout supervision by training staff, limited camp and preseason games. Coaching staff smart to find a man of his size and long term importance some rest. 

Only Fant 84% and McGovern 98%played noticeably more snaps than Becton and they’re JAGS who don’t need management at this stage of their career.

Give this narrative a rest already!

You can call it a narrative but I'm making an observation.  Unfortunately for you, there isnt really anything you can say or do to prove I'm wrong.  You're just speculating as well.  Sorry you dont like my observation and opinion.  Is what it is, hope I'm wrong.  

4 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

You can call it a narrative but I'm making an observation.  Unfortunately for you, there isnt really anything you can say or do to prove I'm wrong.  You're just speculating as well.  Sorry you dont like my observation and opinion.  Is what it is, hope I'm wrong.  

You could have speculated that he was frustrated by the nagging small injuries he experienced last year and has dedicated his offseason to getting in better shape for next year. Just as valid and less snarky, Manish-like. Hope Im right.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Or… a team & coach looking to get the 1st pick pulled their starting LT to accomplish that; or …… the HC is placing bets on the game and wants to make certain he covers the spread; or he was sleeping with Becton GF and doesn’t want him injured & spending more time at home.

You have a narrative since you can speculate on anything related to Becton missing a quarter here or a series or two there. You chose to make Becton the focus of your criticism. Resting Becton, who JD selected to be his LT for the next decade, could have come from JD himself. Keep him healthy for the next coaching staff

10 hours ago, JiFapono said:

I'll say it, Becton worries me for a few reasons; weight and condition make him a constant injury concern.  And I think he will take any excuse of an injury, not to play Football.  Not sure homeboy has a passion but rather, see's this as a pay check.

Where do you people come up with this nonsense?  

Wilson is too small and 6' 2", Becton is too big.  

And to ice the cake, Becton will use that excuse to not play ball.  

Dr. Oz and Dr Phil all in one

The reality is that the Jets will be under the cap...and that much of the reason why is that they are not paying a CB or backup QB.  If they did that, they would no longer be that under the cap. 
Eventually JD will need to be judged by wins and losses and not by whether he gets value from draft picks and contract signings.   Teams that overpay are not necessarily stupid-they need to overpay to get the last piece or two necessary to compete.  
Some on this board have made convincing cases that the Jets have sought to systematically underspend to maximize their bottom line, splurging on some big contracts when they needed to hit their minimum.  I don’t know what the answer is, but my vote would be to roll with the roster we have and carry over the money to next year-but next year we need to compete big time. 

The answer is to put together a good team before spending big money. Period. The late round picks that fill the roster’s backup roles and special teams are critical. We have whiffed in monumentally bad fashion for upwards of 10 years straight. You can buy an all star team of starters but if your backups don’t even belong on the field you’re gonna lose. These last 3 years our starters were barely NFL quality and out backups had no business in the league. Douglas needs to fix that first and give this team some depth as well as hit on some quality starters. Once that’s accomplished start dropping cash all over FA to fill some final pieces. A guy like Julio Jones does nothing for us really this year in terms of wins.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2

16 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Or… a team & coach looking to get the 1st pick pulled their starting LT to accomplish that; or …… the HC is placing bets on the game and wants to make certain he covers the spread; or he was sleeping with Becton GF and doesn’t want him injured & spending more time at home.

You have a narrative since you can speculate on anything related to Becton missing a quarter here or a series or two there. You chose to make Becton the focus of your criticism. Resting Becton, who JD selected to be his LT for the next decade, could have come from JD himself. Keep him healthy for the next coaching staff

Calm your t!ts not sure why you're so offended by this opinion, it has zero impact on anything.  I made a simple observation.  I wanted Becton.  He was my #1 choice in the draft.  I hope I'm wrong and this was just a blip on the radar but you're just going to have forgive me for vocalizing a concern.

13 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I came up with this nonsense based on a report that Becton is struggling with, injuries, weight and conditioning.  This report, was in this nice little thread we're chatting in...did you read it?  Probably not, I know that's your thing is just interjecting with no prior knowledge of the conversation, so I'll provide it for you:

From the article...  Becton, who has participated in at least one practice, was at the facility all week after missing the previous week. That he didn't practice Thursday suggests a possible injury; teams aren't required to report injuries in the offseason. Going forward, the story surrounding Becton will be his conditioning. He admitted at the end of the season that one of his goals was to drop weight. At the time, one team source said he was north of 363 pounds, his listed weight.

In conclusion, it seem Becton struggles with weight.  Considering it was a goal he set out to accomplish (unsuccessfully thus far) to lose weight, it sounds like this isnt easy for him.  When you couple that with the injuries and the fact he pulled himself from games last year, used all that "nonsense" - to vocalize a concern I have.

On 5/30/2021 at 2:22 PM, AlexVanDyke said:

This may be a dumb question but if a team is under the cap by a decent amount, doesn’t it make sense to accelerate the pay of certain guys so that we will have more capnroom in the future?

Why would we want to stay $10 MM under the cap ina particular year? Wouldnt it be wiser to give more money this year to a q Williams or m bechton so they can count less on the cap in future years allowing us more flexibility?

There's no benefit to doing so. It's not use it or lose it (and is unlikely to ever get to that point). If they finish the season at $10MM under (as you outline), then that amount pushes to next year, making the cap another $10MM higher. e.g. if the league settles on a cap ceiling of $208MM next year, then in this example the Jets' ceiling would be $218MM for 2022, but the amount owed would be the same. Pre-paying doesn't help; you're lowering next year's payroll by $10MM, but you're leaving the ceiling at $208MM. In the end you've got the same amount available.

On the other hand, pre-paying now to lessen the hit later could backfire & be worse (unless you're only pre-paying parts that were guaranteed already, in which case it's a wash). If you're pre-paying any non-guaranteed future money by pushing it to this year, you're effectively guaranteeing more money for no benefit. e.g. McGovern's $8MM salary is guaranteed this year, but his $9MM salary next year isn't. While it may seem like it creates more room next year by pre-paying $6MM of his 2022 salary in 2021, instead of clearing $6MM it may be wasting $6MM: what if McGovern is awful all year long and they want to cut him. With pre-paying, you're first paying him an extra $6MM and then cutting him, clearing a net of $3MM instead of $9MM. 

The only time there's any reason to do this is if they're in danger of not being at the 89% threshold @nycdan outlined. In that case, you could reach that minimum cash spend now by pre-paying money you were going to pay to those same players anyway. The reason to do that is if there's no higher-priced, available veteran you truly want, and must spend more to satisfy the rule. In that case, better to spend it on someone you know, who's getting that $ anyway, and preserve flexibility for the following year rather than spend it on the next Trumaine Johnson just because there's the cap room to do so and he's available. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

There's no benefit to doing so. It's not use it or lose it (and is unlikely to ever get to that point). If they finish the season at $10MM under (as you outline), then that amount pushes to next year, making the cap another $10MM higher. e.g. if the league settles on a cap ceiling of $208MM next year, then in this example the Jets' ceiling would be $218MM for 2022, but the amount owed would be the same. Pre-paying doesn't help; you're lowering next year's payroll by $10MM, but you're leaving the ceiling at $208MM. In the end you've got the same amount available.

On the other hand, pre-paying now to lessen the hit later could backfire & be worse (unless you're only pre-paying parts that were guaranteed already, in which case it's a wash). If you're pre-paying any non-guaranteed future money by pushing it to this year, you're effectively guaranteeing more money for no benefit. e.g. McGovern's $8MM salary is guaranteed this year, but his $9MM salary next year isn't. While it may seem like it creates more room next year by pre-paying $6MM of his 2022 salary in 2021, instead of clearing $6MM it may be wasting $6MM: what if McGovern is awful all year long and they want to cut him. With pre-paying, you're first paying him an extra $6MM and then cutting him, clearing a net of $3MM instead of $9MM. 

The only time there's any reason to do this is if they're in danger of not being at the 89% threshold @nycdan outlined. In that case, you could reach that minimum cash spend now by pre-paying money you were going to pay to those same players anyway. The reason to do that is if there's no higher-priced, available veteran you truly want, and must spend more to satisfy the rule. In that case, better to spend it on someone you know, who's getting that $ anyway, and preserve flexibility for the following year rather than spend it on the next Trumaine Johnson just because there's the cap room to do so and he's available. 

This is why it was a stupid question by me.  Thanks for the summary; very helpful 

• Upvote 2

On 5/31/2021 at 9:53 AM, JiFapono said:

The he doesnt love Football part?  100% speculation.  Troll?  Unfair.  He was pulling himself from games for toe nails and sniffles.

It was a strange season.

Let's give the kid a full offseason before we label him anything.  

• Upvote 1

On 5/31/2021 at 10:53 AM, JiFapono said:

I’m hoping that was all Adam Gases fault. 

13 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

It was a strange season.

Let's give the kid a full offseason before we label him anything.  

13 hours ago, The Crusher said:

I’m hoping that was all Adam Gases fault. 

Agreed, it was and I'm of mind to give all of the offense a pass on last year because in addition to the strange season, I think coaching was just totally inept and was the worst possible thing to happen to this team.  I havent put a label on Becton, I just vocalized a concern based on observations of his behavior and this report.  I'm very high on Becton.  His ceiling is top 5 in the league IMO.  He was my #1 choice in the draft but when you read reports like this and you remember last season, it's concerning.  People forget, DBrick missed 1 snap his entire career because he was pulled for a trick play.  Being elite is great but it means nothing if you're not available. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/31/2021 at 6:08 PM, Jet Nut said:

The craziest stuff is Wilson is too fragile...6'2" 214. TL is 6'5"and 219.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

On 5/31/2021 at 10:37 AM, 32EBoozer said:

I'll say it, Becton worries me for a few reasons; weight and condition make him a constant injury concern.  And I think he will take any excuse of an injury, not to play Football.  Not sure homeboy has a passion but rather, see's this as a pay check.

@peebag you find it confusing that I called out JiFapono for trolling Becton? Which of his statements have I improperly judged? All this based on a rookie year without TC and much of the preseason in a 2-14 campaign when we were trying to get the #1 pick

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

@peebag you find it confusing that I called out JiFapono for trolling Becton? Which of his statements have I improperly judged? All this based on a rookie year without TC and much of the preseason in a 2-14 campaign when we were trying to get the #1 pick

cuz.....Jets.

• Haha 2