Happy Birthday, Joe Namath

22 minutes ago, SAR I said:

"Joe Namath believes he needs another operation, this time to repair a torn hamstring muscle in his left leg. “The hamstring,” says the New York Jets quarterback, “limits my mobility more than my knees do.” Strangely, the hamstring injury occurred nearly two years ago in a Bahamas water‐skiing accident when his tow‐rope snapped. Throughout the last two seasons it was seldom mentioned by either Namath or the Jets’ medical staff."

https://www.nytimes.com/1976/02/15/archives/namath-deal-hamstrung.html

And one more time, why couldn’t he water ski?  Did it affect his knee?

Newsflash, athletes are people.  They move around, they don’t live in bubbles.   They even, get this, waterski.  Drive cars.  Have accidents.  

8 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Answer my questions:

So if a news story ran next week that said Mekhi Becton went water skiing in the Bahamas while nursing a foot injury and blew out both of his achilles tendons and was lost for the season, you reaction would be, what?

And if you were watching a preseason game in 2004 and saw Chad Pennington, while coming back from a season-ending wrist injury, throw himself head-first into a linebacker after throwing a meaningless interception in a meaningless preseason game and was lost for another season, your reaction would be, what?

SAR I

ever since Joe Namath was lost for the season for attempting a tackle in a meaningless pre season game...  it is what I as a Jets fan fear and expect to happen, each and every year. If not pre season then in the first couple of weeks of regular season.  Like Vinny Testaverde lost for the season on the first series from scrimmage in 1999 by tripping over Curtis Martin.  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Answer my questions:

So if a news story ran next week that said Mekhi Becton went water skiing in the Bahamas while nursing a foot injury and blew out both of his achilles tendons and was lost for the season, you reaction would be, what?

And if you were watching a preseason game in 2004 and saw Chad Pennington, while coming back from a season-ending wrist injury, throw himself head-first into a linebacker after throwing a meaningless interception in a meaningless preseason game and was lost for another season, your reaction would be, what?

SAR I

image.png.7da33e59bbfcbc519c49973ec47deecd.png

22 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

image.png.7da33e59bbfcbc519c49973ec47deecd.png

Adam Gase tries very hard, gives 200%, but sucks, costs the Jets nothing as they were nowhere close to a playoff team:

JW12:  "Get him out of here!  He's a joke!  OMG, what an abomination!"

Joe Namath mails it in, gives 30% if that, plays and lives recklessly and irresponsibly, costs the Jets multiple playoff berths and a potential 2nd or 3rd Super Bowl:

JW12:  "Broadway Joe is a God on Earth!  Love love love the guy!  OMG, he's awesome!"

SAR I

18 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Adam Gase tries very hard, gives 200%, but sucks, costs the Jets nothing as they were nowhere close to a playoff team:

Joe Namath mails it in, gives 30% if that, plays and lives recklessly and irresponsibly, costs the Jets multiple playoff berths and a potential 2nd or 3rd Super Bowl:

JW12:  "Broadway Joe is a God on Earth!  Love love love the guy!  OMG, he's awesome!"

SAR I

@SAR I  you vehemently defended Adam Gase, the worst HC in NY Jets history. 

I will defend Joe Namath the best QB in NY Jets history who by the way is the only QB to ever win a Super Bowl here. 

End of conversation. 

joewilly12

28 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

What makes you so sure that Gase gave 200%?  What in your wildest dreams said to you, he sucks but he put 200% into it?  Gase sucking cost us nothing?  Lol, ok

Your next paragraph is about as clueless as anything anyone has written here.  I’m sorry for fans like you who think they deserve seats and tickets while knowing nothing about the history of the team only about nonsense like uniforms and what outfit to wear to Jets games. 

48 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

It is the depths of absurdism for a Jets fan to dislike a player for giving us "only" one Super Bowl.

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, jgb said:

It is the depths of absurdism for a Jets fan to dislike a player for giving us "only" one Super Bowl.

nfl_sanchez_namath_576.jpg

Is that different than thousands of Jets fans disliking a player for winning 4 of 6 playoff games and giving us “only” two consecutive AFC Championship Game appearances?

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

nfl_sanchez_namath_576.jpg

Is that different than thousands of Jets fans disliking a player for winning 4 of 6 playoff games and giving us “only” two consecutive AFC Championship Game appearances?

SAR I

SB Champion. HOF member. NFL icon and living legend.

Is a bottle of Cristal any different from a ditch filled with dirty rainwater?

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

@SAR I  you vehemently defended Adam Gase, the worst HC in NY Jets history

When he was our coach.  Not anymore.  It’s awful when Jets fans support their team.  I know how much that bothers you.  

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

I will defend Joe Namath the best QB in NY Jets history who by the way is the only QB to ever win a Super Bowl here

You are allowed to respect Joe Namath for his 1 fluke season of glory.  For the other 10 years you should hold him in the same contempt as you do Mark Sanchez or Adam Gase, two Jets on the permanent hate list.  

Be consistent.  Be fair.  Joe Namath screwed you over harder than any other Jet for at least 4 years when they were actually capable of winning a World Championship and 6 more as a drunken turnover factory.  Don’t sweep that under the rug because he figured out a way to win one, you know, by being carried by his defense and not throwing a single pass in an entire half of a Super Bowl.   

SAR I

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

When he was our coach.  Not anymore.  It’s awful when Jets fans support their team.  I know how much that bothers you.  

You are allowed to respect Joe Namath for his 1 fluke season of glory.  For the other 10 years you should hold him in the same contempt as you do Mark Sanchez or Adam Gase, two Jets on the permanent hate list.  

Be consistent.  Be fair.  Joe Namath screwed you over harder than any other Jet for at least 4 years when they were actually capable of winning a World Championship and 6 more as a drunken turnover factory.  Don’t sweep that under the rug because he figured out a way to win one, you know, by being carried by his defense and not throwing a single pass in an entire half of a Super Bowl.   

SAR I

giphy.gif

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Even though this so nicely proves my point about how the fanbase treats great players with derision and JAGS with laurels, I just can't do this with you lol.

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

Even though this so nicely proves my point about how the fanbase treats great players with derision and JAGS with laurels, I just can't do this with you lol.

So by your twisted Joe Namath logic, we should’ve held onto Mark Sanchez and Adam Gase for 7 and 9 more years respectively because it is entirely possible that in those years they may have each won us a Super Bowl.  Apparently wasting 10 years for having 1 great year is acceptable to you.  

So from this point forward, every Jets GM, head coach, and starting quarterback should get 11 seasons before we decide they are no good, right?

SAR I

Just now, SAR I said:

So by your twisted Joe Namath logic, we should’ve held onto Mark Sanchez and Adam Gase for 7 and 9 more years respectively because it is entirely possible that in those years they may have each won us a Super Bowl.  Apparently wasting 10 years for having 1 great year is acceptable to you.  

So from this point forward, every Jets GM, head coach, and starting quarterback should get 11 seasons before we decide they are no good, right?

SAR I

mr wizard what GIF

Joe Namath put himself in more physical peril in any Raiders game than Sanchez or TB12 has their entire career.
You should just be thankful he even made it to 1/12/69 in one piece, as clearly his docs said he wouldnt.
He has rightly never had to buy another drink in this town but he unfortunately took everyone up on it, like Mantle, Sinatra, Babe and some other great flawed artists.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, jago said:

Joe Namath put himself in more physical peril in any Raiders game than Sanchez or TB12 has their entire career.
You should just be thankful he even made it to 1/12/69 in one piece, as clearly his docs said he wouldnt.
He has rightly never had to buy another drink in this town but he unfortunately took everyone up on it, like Mantle, Sinatra, Babe and some other great flawed artists.

Had Joe Namath done the right thing and took better care of his already-fragile body, the Jets might have won 3 Super Bowls, the Jets might have prevented the '72 Miami Dolphins from immortality, the Jets surely wouldn't have had losing records in 1970, 1971, and 1973, prime years for our Super Bowl team.

Be proud of Joe Namath for 1 season.  But the other 10?  He was Chad Pennington with a drinking problem.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1

7 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

This is the most exciting time for the Jets in over 10 years and u guys r arguing over joe namath.

Anything to stay miserable.

Only jet fans.

1.  This is not an exciting time to be a Jets fan.  Drafts and rebuilds are not exciting.  Idzik, Macagnan, Bowles, Gase, people were excited about them too.  This time, be smart.  Wait and see if they are actually better before getting your hopes up.

2.  No one is arguing over Joe Namath.  Just telling it like it is, bad decisions, selfish choices, water-skiing being swept under the rug like it didn't happen, these are all wrong.  Joe was a one-season hero.  He was a ten-season waste of time.

3.  Miserable?  It's a glorious June day, we're alive and healthy, there is nothing to be miserable about.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1

On 6/8/2021 at 7:02 AM, SAR I said:

91gy54YqvYL.jpg

What do I know?  Suggest you read a book.

In 1969, with homefield against the Chiefs in a playoff game, Joe Namath was 14 for 40 with 3 interceptions and couldn't get the ball in from the 1 yard line on 4 tries costing us back to back Super Bowls.  14 for 40.  Think about that.

In 1971, Joe Namath, after a predicable interception, made a shoulder tackle in a preseason game, costing him the year. 

Two seasons later, Joe Namath, recovering from a blown knee, decided to go water skiing in the Bahamas and blew out both his achilles tendons costing him another season. 

What a genius.  Bad in-game decision making, preseason shoulder tackles, and water skiing on injured knees.  The guy was a selfish train wreck who had one fluke season where things all came together for him.  Hell, he almost blew that too, up all night on a bender and arriving back to his hotel at 5AM the day of the AFL Championship at Shea.

SAR I

You're a first class jerk.

Mike Drop.jpg

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

You can't handle the truth.  Do that again and your personal attack will be reported.

SAR I

Still bothering mods with your constant reporting of people who are sick of your trolling?

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

You can't handle the truth.  Do that again and your personal attack will be reported.

SAR I

Typical response!!! You failed to mention that the game was played under brutal conditions. The Jets and the Chiefs were the top 2 teams in terms of offense. They could only throw short to the RBs and TEs. I think that might have a little to do with the brutal offense for both teams. But as usual you don't include all the facts. Face it almost everyone on here HATES YOU!!

Mike Drop.jpg

1 hour ago, jetsrule1969 said:

Typical response!!! You failed to mention that the game was played under brutal conditions. The Jets and the Chiefs were the top 2 teams in terms of offense. They could only throw short to the RBs and TEs. I think that might have a little to do with the brutal offense for both teams. But as usual you don't include all the facts. Face it almost everyone on here HATES YOU!!

Mike Drop.jpg

Hate is a strong word. SAR is entertaining when his schtick is fresh. Will have to see which one he adopts next.

• Upvote 1