Adam Gase’s Clueless Coaching Clouds Picture on Player Performance

I have hope, but hope is for fools as Samuel Clemens used to say. : /

There really is no way for this thing to go except for up, which is kind of a frightening prospect. The Jets minions will have nothing to bi tch about, whatever shall we do.

I think Mims will turn into a really nice solid player, I'm ready. I was really bummed about Enunwa suffering so many injuries and having his career cut short, it was really a shame; but Mims can be world's better if the chips fall right. I think they will.

I try not to have above average vitriol towards Adam Gase and in general I think I've done pretty well, but Jesus H, did that guy ever suck. Did anyone catch on Draft day last year how he wore an olive drab baseball hat that didn't even have a Jets logo on it? I mean, how symbolically uninterested can you be. 

I don't wish the man any ill will because it's not how I roll, but I don't think I was ever happier to see someone get kicked in their ass. Go Saleh, Go Jets!!!

• Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Gase was actually holding back the hidden cache of secretly great Mike Maccagnan draft picks, for sure.

Disaster City. Now that Mike Maccagnan has been gone for a while it's become painfully apparent how terrible he truly was.

He was using landing Sam Darnold as a bargaining chip to justify holding on to his job, I'm confident in that conclusion. We all know how that turned out. It's really depressing . . .  not that Maccagnan bit the dust, of course; just being disappointed . . . AGAIN. It's almost become a useless exercise in futility trying to parse it.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, jetophile said:

Disaster City. Now that Mike Maccagnan has been gone for a while it's become painfully apparent how terrible he truly was.

He was using landing Sam Darnold as a bargaining chip to justify holding on to his job, I'm confident in that conclusion. We all know how that turned out. It's really depressing . . .  not that Maccagnan bit the dust, of course; just being disappointed . . . AGAIN. It's almost become a useless exercise in futility to even try to parse it.

Agreed. Gase was a hero and a martyr

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Gase was actually holding back the hidden cache of secretly great Mike Maccagnan draft picks, for sure.

winnable.jpg

If Robert Saleh doesn't win 8 of these games it's a joke.  That's the story here.  These sour grapes over a guy who is not even part of the team anymore is meaningless.

Better roster than 2019.  Check.

Better quarterback than 2019.  Check.

Easier schedule than 2019.  Check.

Saleh expected to better Gase in 2019.  Check.

SAR I

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Agreed. Gase was a hero and a martyr

Gase is a scapegoat.  Just like Sanchez.  Just like Carroll.  Jets fans just love 'em some scapegoat.

Joe Douglas' fingerprints were all over the 2020 Jets.  And we went from 7-9 to 2-14.  But, shhh, it was all Adam Gase's fault, don't you dare even mention that we had the same quarterback and same coaching staff, that they were the constants, that Douglas was the variable.  No no no, we're in good hands now.

SAR I

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 3
  • WTF? 2
  • Haha 2

Gase is a scapegoat.  Just like Sanchez.  Just like Carroll.  Jets fans just love 'em some scapegoat.
Joe Douglas' fingerprints were all over the 2020 Jets.  And we went from 7-9 to 2-14.  But, shhh, it was all Adam Gase's fault, don't you dare even mention that we had the same quarterback and same coaching staff, that they were the constants, that Douglas was the variable.  No no no, we're in good hands now.
SAR I

i know you’re kidding of course - no way you’re seriously defending gase - regarding this article i’ve read in numerous stories that van roten improved as season went on but to claim his pre jets form was something we should wish for is silly - he was mediocre while a panther and they let him go happily- will i root for him to be a solid rg? of course - will i root for him to be the player he was for the panthers? hardly likely

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

29 minutes ago, ncjetman said:

i know you’re kidding of course - no way you’re seriously defending gase - regarding this article i’ve read in numerous stories that van roten improved as season went on but to claim his pre jets form was something we should wish for is silly - he was mediocre while a panther and they let him go happily- will i root for him to be a solid rg? of course - will i root for him to be the player he was for the panthers? hardly likely

I am not defending Gase.

I am criticizing Douglas.

And after his last two seasons as GM, it's deserved.

SAR I

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, jetophile said:

Gase is a scapegoat, are you high as a kite? What you're missing is that Joe Douglas got the Johnsons to butt the hell out, something that no-one has ever been able to do. The Johnsons should not be involved with anything except collecting interest.

And there you go, on your way to giving Joe Douglas a free pass for 4 years when you only gave Adam Gase 4 games.

Joe Douglas was given the biggest gift any NFL has ever been given-  11 full months to prepare for his first draft, 10 full months to get ready for his first free agency period, and all he did was take a 7 win Maccagnan roster down to a 2 win joke.  And then he cut his coaching staff loose.  And then he threw his quarterback under the bus.

Joe Douglas is the new Rex Ryan.  Just without the theatrics.

SAR I

24 minutes ago, SAR I said:

And there you go, on your way to giving Joe Douglas a free pass for 4 years when you only gave Adam Gase 4 games.

Joe Douglas was given the biggest gift any NFL has ever been given-  11 full months to prepare for his first draft, 10 full months to get ready for his first free agency period, and all he did was take a 7 win Maccagnan roster down to a 2 win joke.  And then he cut his coaching staff loose.  And then he threw his quarterback under the bus.

SAR I

Not yet. Hopefully soon. 

43 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

So the internal structure and the chain of command was working beforehand, I'll write that down. The Johnsons are awful and they're getting less awful because they're deferring. Walt Michaels under Hess got screwed if you want to go there. Adam Gase under the Johnsons did not.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, jetophile said:

So the internal structure was working beforehand. I'll write that down. Walt Michaels got screwed if you want to go there. Adam Gase did not.

I explained my logical rationale for wanting an experienced HC from the offensive side of the ball to oversee a lengthy rebuild.

I explained that after a 7 win season against many obstacles including a 6-2 finish, Gase deserved fan support.

I explained that with the identical coaching staff and identical quarterback returning after a 6-2 finish that the variable that led to a 2-14 disaster was Joe Douglas and his mismanagement of the roster.

You can write that down.

SAR I

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I explained my logical rationale for wanting an experienced HC from the offensive side of the ball to oversee a lengthy rebuild.

I explained that after a 7 win season against many obstacles including a 6-2 finish, Gase deserved fan support.

I explained that with the identical coaching staff and identical quarterback returning after a 6-2 finish that the variable that led to a 2-14 disaster was Joe Douglas and his mismanagement of the roster.

You can write that down.

SAR I

He got rid of Jamal Adams for a huge haul, you're going to cry about that, too? There's no way that anyone can convince me that Joe Douglas didn't leak conversations accidentally on purpose with Dallas over Jamal Adams to see which way the apples would roll in the orchard. Adams took the bait. He was going to be a huge problem, and we got draft capital for his mouthy trouble.

All I know is that the Brothers Idiot are in the background now where they belong. The rest remains to be seen, but how can you even impugn that meddling was a good thing since Woody Johnson bought the team? Just because the Johnsons funded a hospital doesn't mean I would want Woody Johnson to give me brain surgery. Neurosurgeon, please; not someone in Halloween hospital gear with a rubber scalpel contaminating the OR.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, jetophile said:

He got rid of Jamal Adams for a huge haul, you're going to cry about that, too?

Tell me when it makes the team, you know, better.  Jamal Adams and Leonard Williams would have make the Jets better this season.  You should be crying about that.  

7 minutes ago, jetophile said:

All I know is that the Brothers Idiot are in the background now where they belong.

My God, now naive are you? 

To shut fans up the Johnson's announced a phony "structure change".  Nothing is actually changing.  If you think that Woody and Chris aren't signing off on every move, every dollar spent, every player drafted, and every coach signed, you are high.  Saleh doesn't report to Douglas any more or less than Gase reported to Maccagnan.  The owners call all the shots.  That goes for every NFL team.

SAR I

I see merit to both sides of this argument. I think JD did what he had to do in order to rebuild this team. In taking these actions, did he make the team worse in the short run? Yes. 

However, as SAR points out, the "long run" is fast approaching and now we need to see the tangible results of JD's rebuild. To build, sometimes you have to destroy first. It's hard for me to say JD was wrong in doing so, however, his decisions better start paying off this year or we'll be staring at another failed regime. And let me clarify, by paying off, I don't necessarily mean a playoff mandate but this team needs to pass the "eye" test. I can't look back on this team at the end of the year and think "great, we won 7-8 by pure luck and the young guys on this team give me nothing to be excited for". I need to be saying "hey, we only won 7 games but were damn competitive and the young guys look like studs".

The difference between those two statements is the difference between success and failure of this regime.

2 hours ago, jetophile said:

Gase is a scapegoat, are you high as a kite? What you're missing is that Joe Douglas got the Johnsons to butt the hell out, something that no-one has ever been able to do. The Johnsons should not be involved with anything except collecting interest.

But Macc isn't gone and Douglas isn't here if it wasn't for Gase.  So for that I'll be eternally grateful.

Terrible coach.  But in the big picture stuff, Gase had at least a clue.  You suck Gase, and thank you.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Pretty easy to make the case with Herndon

That's certainly a fair take.  Gase never likes to use TE's for some reason, or at least doesn't use them effectively.  Mike Gesicki is thriving in Miami in a post-Gase world.

I do still think Herndon probably sucks but he should perform much better this year than he did the past 2.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Real fans, fans who understand the game and what they were watching understood that the 6-2 finish wasnt because of Gase coaching skills but a perfectly laid out schedule and circumstances as with Pitt playing with a 3rd string QB.  You on the other hand keep repeating 6-2 as if it meant more than what reality told everyone else

Reminiscent of the fans who were shouting about the 8-8 season in 2013 as a reason to keep Rex Ryan.  That season was a complete mirage, as the team was outscored by 97 points on the season (one of the 5 or 6 worst teams in the NFL in that category).  The luck factor from '13 made it easy to predict that the 2014 team would get fully exposed, as they did to the tune of a 4-12 campaign. 

Fast forward to the 2020 Jets, who without an historically easy schedule like they had in 2019 plummeted to the bottom of the league.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

You have reached the point that YOU are the only one upvoting you. Lol

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3