Adam Gase’s Clueless Coaching Clouds Picture on Player Performance

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Lou Holtz says hello.

Holtz would've hammered Gase's team.  And I'm talking about Holtz himself, in his current condition, could suit up and hold Gase's offense to a FG.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Sure you dont.  Just all those pesky posts where you defend him, argue for him, blame everyone else says differently.

Yeah, last year.  Such an awful thing, a Jets fan supporting the Jets in 2020.   

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Stop with the ridiculous idea that Saleh has to win a number you pulled out of you ass to prove himself.

If 0-4 was enough to get Gase fired in your eyes and if 7 wins was enough to get Gase fired in your eyes then Saleh has to outperform both metrics to be satisfactory.  That’s rational.  

SAR I

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Leo is long line of Jets that show up in a contract year, kinda glad we aren’t the ones paying him this time. I wonder if Seattle would make that trade today for our best player in Jamal. 

Douglas didn’t get enough for Leonard and got too much for Jamal.  A wash.  A “C” for Douglas, no different than his free agency periods or drafts.  

SAR I

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, SAR I said:

If 0-4 was enough to get Gase fired in your eyes and if 7 wins was enough to get Gase fired in your eyes then Saleh has to outperform both metrics to be satisfactory.  That’s rational.  

SAR I

Support is one thing.  Sounding clueless is another

Really. You can keep doing the we need X amount of wins shtick all you want.  No one is paying attention to your loony demands.  You just really don’t understand the game.  
More importantly you don’t understand the team.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Support is one thing.  Sounding clueless is another

Really. You can keep doing the we need X amount of wins shtick all you want.  No one is paying attention to your loony demands.  You just really don’t understand the game.  
More importantly you don’t understand the team.  

Forreal. 

I wish our mods would just lock every Adam Gase Thread. 

That way @SAR I would have absolutely nothing to talk about. 

Any Jets fan who sucks off Adam Gase abd disrespects Joe Namath isn't an NY Jets fan but instead; a troll. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

If "kicking ass" is taking a 7-9 team down to 2-14, my lord, what exactly would "sucking ass" look like?

Joe Douglas is great at punting our best players and penny pinching.  Doesn't sound like Brian Cashman to me.  Doesn't sound like Glen Sather to me.  But what do I know about playoff teams.

SAR I

You are better than this. Pull yourself together. You had your “A” game in the uniform thread.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

I seem to recall prior to last season you had started a thread starting with the phrase  “Call me Crazy “ will start the season 6-0. Your reasoning was that they had a rather easy schedule and that turned out not to be the case so to say that Saleh needs to win 8 games with an easy schedule is an arbitrary figure which doesn’t need to be met in order to have a successful season which to me will be steady improvement throughout the year and really see tangible proof that the team is going in the right direction and can be a consistent contender for years to come. 
would like to see the same progress when Waldo took over in 78 in which we went 8-8 with a young team and in 79 had same record. 80 was a poor year but 81 came and the Jets wee an excellent team. Don’t think it will take that long with this team as constructed now another good draft should be in playoffs next year 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, CSNY said:

I seem to recall prior to last season you had started a thread starting with the phrase  “Call me Crazy “ will start the season 6-0. Your reasoning was that they had a rather easy schedule and that turned out not to be the case

No.  We had a horrible head coach.  Or so I'm told.

13 hours ago, CSNY said:

so to say that Saleh needs to win 8 games with an easy schedule is an arbitrary figure which doesn’t need to be met in order to have a successful season

Adam Gase could win 7 games with this schedule, improved roster, and hot young quarterback, he won 7 games with far less in this town.  So Robert Saleh has an 8 win mandate as he is a much better head coach, he has a far more talented roster, a brilliant coaching staff, and a 9th home game against a terrible opponent.  That is a completely fair expectation from a fanbase that wanted to run the last guy out of town after 4 measly games with a 3rd string quarterback.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

That is a completely fair expectation from a fanbase that wanted to run the last guy out of town after 4 measly games with a 3rd string quarterback.

No one wanted to run him out of town after 4 measly games with a 3rd string quarterback.  Stop making shlt up to help your troll routine

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, SAR I said:

f 0-4 was enough to get Gase fired in your eyes and if 7 wins was enough to get Gase fired in your eyes then Saleh has to outperform both metrics to be satisfactory.  That’s rational.  

Interesting that you turn it into wanting Gase fired when he won 7 but the reality is it was the next year that put the nail in the coffin.  

Funny that you repeat 7 wins over and over and over as if t were a big deal or not the product of playing teams with 3rd string QBs etc.  Ignoring a 2 win season.  Ignoring 13 straight losses.  

Funnier is that you defend Gase because he had to play a 3rd string QB and then praise him for beating a team playing their 3rd string QB.

19 hours ago, AFJF said:

Holtz would've hammered Gase's team.  And I'm talking about Holtz himself, in his current condition, could suit up and hold Gase's offense to a FG.

Maybe so.  But he couldn't coach worth a damn at the NFL level, and quit midseason.  Some guys just aren't built for the pro game.  Gase wasn't either, but he was better than Holtz, because he didn't simply quit.  

Gase was indeed one of the worst coaches in Jets history.  But I do put him ahead of Holtz and Kotite.  

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, AFJF said:

Worst coach in team history still has support from a select few.  Hilarious.

Weird article writer still has a strange obsession/hatred for a coach no longer here.  This same weird dude also at one time was a fan/defender of Manish Mehta.

More hilarious.  

The more venom you spew at Adam Gase, who I do not like at all as a coach (but I do appreciate for getting us rid of Macc and bringing in Douglas), the more it makes me want to defend Gase out of spite.  Because you're a weird dude who writes articles for JN and then defends those articles on the board in smug, Manish Mehta-esque fashion.  So if these posts upset you I know I'll keep writing them at every opportunity.  

But you did like Ryan Fitzpatrick so at least you have that going for you.

On 6/1/2021 at 10:47 AM, SAR I said:

Tell me when it makes the team, you know, better.  Jamal Adams and Leonard Williams would have make the Jets better this season.  You should be crying about that. 

Whether or not the draft picks will replace Jamal Adams is an unknown at this point.  As is the notion that the salary cap space has been better used elsewhere instead of going to sign up Adams long term.  What is not debatable is that Adams was the Jets best player and we traded him for what is behind door number two.  I will never forget the strip of crosstown Jones.  Best football since the last AFC Championship game. 

As for Leonard Williams, only those with blinders refuse to admit that we traded a 24 year old 10+ year NFL starter for a can of beans.  A 10+year NFL starter who can play inside out (at end or tackle) and is scheme versatile (can play 3-4 or 4-3) because he can play one-gap or two-gap.  If he is still here, he starts.  Where?  Anywhere on the defensive line.  In fact, he starts on any NFL team and makes them better.  Just because the truth is harsh does not mean it is not the truth. 

I try to remain optimistic and tune out the past decisions.  It is water under the bridge at this point and we have a team to support.  We wear the Green and that's our fate as Jet fans.  But  the dumping on our former players can get old too.  Especially when it is not justified.

All that being said, I am still rooting for the Seahawks to go 0-16 so we get the #1 pick.  Why?  Because I am a Jet fan.  That's why. 

9 minutes ago, clayton163v said:

As for Leonard Williams, only those with blinders refuse to admit that we traded a 24 year old 10+ year NFL starter for a can of beans.  A 10+year NFL starter who can play inside out (at end or tackle) and is scheme versatile (can play 3-4 or 4-3) because he can play one-gap or two-gap. 

10+ year starter?  Because he had one solid year in a contract season?  That's a little premature, no?  And we've heard that whole "versatility" bit before.  Muhammad Wilkerson had the ability to play every position on the DL at one time, too.  That didn't work out too well.  

A 3rd & 5th was the most we could have gotten for him at the time.  He'd be worth a bit more now (no one is giving up a 1st round pick for Leonard Williams even after his performance last season), but we didn't have the luxury to wait on that.  It was either trade him, franchise him, or pay him.  The latter 2 options were not exactly ideal, especially the last one.  With Quinnen Williams on the roster, there's no chance in hell the Jets were going to keep 2 ridiculously expensive DT's on the roster at the same time.  One had to go, regardless.  

• Upvote 1

On 6/1/2021 at 11:03 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

But Macc isn't gone and Douglas isn't here if it wasn't for Gase.  So for that I'll be eternally grateful.

Terrible coach.  But in the big picture stuff, Gase had at least a clue.  You suck Gase, and thank you.  

Gase was one of the worst NFL head coaches of the 21st century but he was in Florham Park for 15 minutes before he went to Christopher Johnson and told him Maccagnan had no clue what he was doing.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

10+ year starter?  Because he had one solid year in a contract season?  That's a little premature, no?  And we've heard that whole "versatility" bit before.  Muhammad Wilkerson had the ability to play every position on the DL at one time, too.  That didn't work out too well.  

A 3rd & 5th was the most we could have gotten for him at the time.  He'd be worth a bit more now (no one is giving up a 1st round pick for Leonard Williams even after his performance last season), but we didn't have the luxury to wait on that.  It was either trade him, franchise him, or pay him.  The latter 2 options were not exactly ideal, especially the last one.  With Quinnen Williams on the roster, there's no chance in hell the Jets were going to keep 2 ridiculously expensive DT's on the roster at the same time.  One had to go, regardless.  

Ok, I'll bite. 

Leo has missed two games in six years and started all of them.  He averaged 47 tackles per year over that time period and was selected to one pro bowl.  The 4.5 years he played for us he was a two-gap defensive end whose job was to set the table for the linebackers.  He is getting sacks now because he is on a four man line.  All he has to do is start for three more years and he is a 10+ year starter in the NFL.  The Giants tagged him and then signed him to a three year deal for $63 million, or $21 million per year.  Had they let him hit the market, he gets even more.  We should have NEVER let him go and we should be paying the man for his efforts.  

I think one of two things happened.  Either the owner stepped in and told the GM that: "you spent the money on that corner and I am not going to pay another defensive player big money until that contract has expired.  Trade him."  OR

Leo told the Jets he was leaving and holding out until he was dealt.   The "Jason Peters" scenario that happens to bad teams.

It was one or the other.  He is an above average starter and a moveable chess piece that is a necessary addition to any competitive team.   Nobody lets every down players like that walk or trades them for beans.  It was a bad call by the Jets.  He has had a long career and is far from done.

My only regret is that we waited 4 games to fly the plane.  It should have went up hours after Gase was hired.

Thank goodness Joe D was smart enough to keep him as a sacrificial lamb for the 2020 season so we had a pick high enough to get a real qb in here.

Thank you Joe Douglas.  Thank you!!

33 minutes ago, clayton163v said:

Leo told the Jets he was leaving and holding out until he was dealt.   The "Jason Peters" scenario that happens to bad teams.

Where did you get this from?  No one even hinted this at the time.

Just as he wasnt an above average starter until he hit his walk year and had a better defense in the backfield to help him along.  He now has 2 top 10 cbs lined up behind him

Leos been an ok player, last season was a really good year in the contract push.  If he keeps that level of play up, hes worth $20 mil, if he goes back to what he was with the Jets hes a nice player, no way a $21M per year player.  

1 hour ago, clayton163v said:

Ok, I'll bite. 

Leo has missed two games in six years and started all of them.  He averaged 47 tackles per year over that time period and was selected to one pro bowl.  The 4.5 years he played for us he was a two-gap defensive end whose job was to set the table for the linebackers.  He is getting sacks now because he is on a four man line.  All he has to do is start for three more years and he is a 10+ year starter in the NFL.  The Giants tagged him and then signed him to a three year deal for $63 million, or $21 million per year.  Had they let him hit the market, he gets even more.  We should have NEVER let him go and we should be paying the man for his efforts.  

I think one of two things happened.  Either the owner stepped in and told the GM that: "you spent the money on that corner and I am not going to pay another defensive player big money until that contract has expired.  Trade him."  OR

It was one or the other.  He is an above average starter and a moveable chess piece that is a necessary addition to any competitive team.   Nobody lets every down players like that walk or trades them for beans.  It was a bad call by the Jets.  He has had a long career and is far from done.

I totally agree that his success on a 4-3 line made sense.  Just like QW has and will continue to play very well in a predominantly 4-3 look.  But how many resources are you trying to dump into 4-3 DT's?  Quinnen Williams, a # 3 overall pick who will eventually be looking to get paid, PLUS paying Leonard Williams?  That actually makes sense to you?

QW + the $5.5M per year we're paying Sheldon Rankins is more than enough resources at DT in the modern NFL.  Even in a system like Saleh's that requires all 4 DL being very good at getting to the QB.

4 hours ago, clayton163v said:

Whether or not the draft picks will replace Jamal Adams is an unknown at this point.  As is the notion that the salary cap space has been better used elsewhere instead of going to sign up Adams long term.  What is not debatable is that Adams was the Jets best player and we traded him for what is behind door number two.  I will never forget the strip of crosstown Jones.  Best football since the last AFC Championship game. 

As for Leonard Williams, only those with blinders refuse to admit that we traded a 24 year old 10+ year NFL starter for a can of beans.  A 10+year NFL starter who can play inside out (at end or tackle) and is scheme versatile (can play 3-4 or 4-3) because he can play one-gap or two-gap.  If he is still here, he starts.  Where?  Anywhere on the defensive line.  In fact, he starts on any NFL team and makes them better.  Just because the truth is harsh does not mean it is not the truth. 

I try to remain optimistic and tune out the past decisions.  It is water under the bridge at this point and we have a team to support.  We wear the Green and that's our fate as Jet fans.  But  the dumping on our former players can get old too.  Especially when it is not justified.

All that being said, I am still rooting for the Seahawks to go 0-16 so we get the #1 pick.  Why?  Because I am a Jet fan.  That's why. 

Good post.

Joe Douglas hasn't made our team better, just cheaper.  

SAR I

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Thank goodness Joe D was smart enough to keep him as a sacrificial lamb for the 2020 season so we had a pick high enough to get a real qb in here.

Thank you Joe Douglas.  Thank you!!

Ah, so Joe Douglas is either:

1.  A brilliant, maniacal, evil genius who orchestrated a 7 win team collapsing to 2 wins in an attempt to get the head coach who hired him fired while making sure he didn't get the best quarterback in the draft.

-or-

2.  A guy everyone in the NFL said we hired too early acting like someone who we hired too early.

SAR I

17 hours ago, clayton163v said:

Ok, I'll bite. 

He was a fine player but I can't agree that his performance with the Jets was worth $21MM/year for what he was being asked to do here. By your own description his "job was to set the table for the linebackers" but you don't need to pay out the fifth highest DL salary for somebody playing a support role. He might be worth $21MM in the right position but he wasn't put in a position to put $21MM worth of performance on the field with this team. 

If you pay playmaking salaries to people in support roles--no matter how good they might be--you're going to have every other player demanding the same kind of pay and the players in playmaking roles are going to want astronomical salaries in response. That's part of the problem Tannenbaum created. Everybody on the team was getting paid big contracts because they wanted to hold together what they had and then the big names got contracts that made absolutely no sense (e.g. Sanchez). 

None of us know exactly how that all went down but common sense suggests Leo wanted first round pick pay and probably wanted to go to a defense where he could be a playmaker and Douglas didn't want to pay for a level of performance that wasn't happening in the current system. 

On 6/3/2021 at 7:14 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Weird article writer still has a strange obsession/hatred for a coach no longer here.  This same weird dude also at one time was a fan/defender of Manish Mehta.

More hilarious.  

The more venom you spew at Adam Gase, who I do not like at all as a coach (but I do appreciate for getting us rid of Macc and bringing in Douglas), the more it makes me want to defend Gase out of spite.  Because you're a weird dude who writes articles for JN and then defends those articles on the board in smug, Manish Mehta-esque fashion.  So if these posts upset you I know I'll keep writing them at every opportunity.  

But you did like Ryan Fitzpatrick so at least you have that going for you.

Nobody I've supported has been worse than your guy.  

19 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Nobody I've supported has been worse than your guy.  

First off, Adam Gase is not "my guy".  And...seriously?  Adam Gase is worse than Manish Mehta in your mind? 

Did Adam Gase verbally threaten other reporters (ending the careers of several, with especial vitriol/creepiness towards female reporters), stalk children, cook stories or generally be an overall creep of a human being?  If Gase did any of that, please provide a link.  Otherwise, just being bad at coaching and not winning games doesn't put him in Manish Mehta's category.

If you really believe this, I'll give you the same advice you gave me and several others, though I actually mean it and am not saying it out of snark like you did all those times:  Perhaps consider therapy/counseling, because your knowledge of what is acceptable and not acceptable in society is completely out of whack, and i know firsthand how much counseling can help.