Jump to content

Jets Sign Former Niners DE Ronald Blair


HawkeyeJet
 Share

Recommended Posts

Looks like he's a Saleh guy...

https://www.ninersnation.com/2021/3/12/22328134/49ers-release-dl-ronald-blair-place-one-year-tender-on-erfa-daniel-brunskill

49ers release DL Ronald Blair; place one-year tender on ERFA Daniel Brunskill
Blair gets a couple of day head start to find a new home

By Kyle Posey@KP_Show  Mar 12, 2021, 1:41pm PST 88 Comments

Orlando Ramirez-USA TODAY Sports
The San Francisco 49ers announced they’d tendered exclusive rights free agent offensive lineman Daniel Brunskill to a one-year contract. Brunskill figures to be in the mix again to start at either center or right guard for the Niners heading into 2021. We’ll see where the 49ers value him more, but the team felt like Brunskill has done enough to earn another one-year contract.

Brunskill started all 16 games for the Niners this past season. His positional value has come in handy in the past two seasons, as Brunskill has played every position except left guard.

The 49ers also announced they released Ronald Blair. Blair was slated to be an unrestricted free agent. He’s one of the players the coaching staff — specifically Robert Saleh — have consistently praised during this current regime. An early release allows Blair to be free to sign with any team he wants before free agency negotiations begin this Monday.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our 4-3 D-Line is almost set with Lawson @ RE and QW/Rankins in the middle; but I believe our LE position is wide open for competition (for guys like Phillips, JFM and now, Blair). 

I really hope that Seattle has a disaster season after an AWFUL off-season because...

 

A 4-3 D-Line of Kayvon (DE), Quinnen (DT), Rankins (DT) and Lawson (DE) would become our greatest D-Line since the SACK EXCHANGE. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Our 4-3 D-Line is almost set with Lawson @ RE and QW/Rankins in the middle; but I believe our LE position is wide open for competition (for guys like Phillips, JFM and now, Blair). 

I really hope that Seattle has a disaster season after an AWFUL off-season because...

 

A 4-3 D-Line of Kayvon (DE), Quinnen (DT), Rankins (DT) and Lawson (DE) would become our greatest D-Line since the SACK EXCHANGE. 

Vinnie Curry will start opposite Lawson

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Current DL Group

 

Defensive Line  (14)

  • 58 - Carl Lawson 6'2" 265 Auburn (DE)  - Free Agent Signing from Bengals
  • 98 - Sheldon Rankins 6'2" 305 Louisville (DT)  - Free Agent Signing from Saints
  • 99 - Vinny Curry 6'2" 279 Marshall (DE)  - Free Agent Signing from Eagles
  • 95 - Quinnen Williams 6'3" 303 Alabama  (DT)  (Signed Thru 2023)
  • 94 - Foley Fatukasi 6'4" 318 UCONN (DE/DT)    (Signed Thru 2021)
  • 91 - John Franklin-Myers  6'4" 288  Stephen F Austin   (DE/OLB) (Signed Thru 2021)
  • 97 - Nathan Shepherd 6'4" 315 Ft. Hays State (DE/DT)  (Signed Thru 2021)
  • 96 - Jonathan Marshall 6'3" 310 Arkansas (DT) (2021 Draft Pick - 6th Round)  
  • 92 - Jabari Zuniga 6'3" 264 Florida (OLB/DE)    (Signed Thru 2023)
  • 93 - Kyle Phillips 6'4" 277  Tennessee (DE)   (Signed Thru 2021)
  • xx - Ronald Blair 6'3" 270 Appalachian State (DE)  - Veteran "Street" Free Agent (ex-49ers)
  • 79 - Tanzel Smart 6'1" 296 Tulane (DL)   (Signed Thru Unknown)
  • 55 - Hamilcar Rashed Jr. 6'2" 251 Oregon State (DE) (2021 UDFA) 
  • 50 - Michael Dwumfour 6'1" 296 Rutgers (DE/DT) (2021 UDFA)  
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Current DL Group

 

Defensive Line  (14)

  • 58 - Carl Lawson 6'2" 265 Auburn (DE)  - Free Agent Signing from Bengals
  • 98 - Sheldon Rankins 6'2" 305 Louisville (DT)  - Free Agent Signing from Saints
  • 99 - Vinny Curry 6'2" 279 Marshall (DE)  - Free Agent Signing from Eagles
  • 95 - Quinnen Williams 6'3" 303 Alabama  (DT)  (Signed Thru 2023)
  • 94 - Foley Fatukasi 6'4" 318 UCONN (DE/DT)    (Signed Thru 2021)
  • 91 - John Franklin-Myers  6'4" 288  Stephen F Austin   (DE/OLB) (Signed Thru 2021)
  • 97 - Nathan Shepherd 6'4" 315 Ft. Hays State (DE/DT)  (Signed Thru 2021)
  • 96 - Jonathan Marshall 6'3" 310 Arkansas (DT) (2021 Draft Pick - 6th Round)  
  • 92 - Jabari Zuniga 6'3" 264 Florida (OLB/DE)    (Signed Thru 2023)
  • 93 - Kyle Phillips 6'4" 277  Tennessee (DE)   (Signed Thru 2021)
  • xx - Ronald Blair 6'3" 270 Appalachian State (DE)  - Veteran "Street" Free Agent (ex-49ers)
  • 79 - Tanzel Smart 6'1" 296 Tulane (DL)   (Signed Thru Unknown)
  • 55 - Hamilcar Rashed Jr. 6'2" 251 Oregon State (DE) (2021 UDFA) 
  • 50 - Michael Dwumfour 6'1" 296 Rutgers (DE/DT) (2021 UDFA)  

Dont be surprised to see some guys moved as time goes on.  Said it around the draft, i could easily see Fatukasi traded this year to make room for some more versatile pieces.  

Gotta believe shepard gets the boot as well. 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

What is the prognosis for Jabari Zuniga? Practice squad? I just do not see how he is going to crack this defensive line group. And, he does not seem like a fit for the type of OLB that Saleh likes. 

Highly doubt he'd clear waivers...

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Dont be surprised to see some guys moved as time goes on.  Said it around the draft, i could easily see Fatukasi traded this year to make room for some more versatile pieces.  

Gotta believe shepard gets the boot as well. 

What do you think Fatukasi's value is, and do you think it will be for picks or a player? We have a lot of picks in 2022?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

What is the prognosis for Jabari Zuniga? Practice squad? I just do not see how he is going to crack this defensive line group. And, he does not seem like a fit for the type of OLB that Saleh likes. 

He has high end potential. I'd be very surprised if he didn't make the 53.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Jdub03 said:

What do you think Fatukasi's value is, and do you think it will be for picks or a player? We have a lot of picks in 2022?

No idea, I think pre draft or draft day I thought he would be a good chip to move up but he's primarily a run stuffer so I think youd hope for a 4th?  Mayyyyyyybe a 3rd? really not sure. 

Problem is now, I think they'd probably prefer to trade him especially if all the other guys step up because you wont cut him, he's very good as an interior run defender.  I think if they can swing a deal for a player or pick then they do it, otherwise they'll just hold on to him for the year as he's certainly a good player.  

I just think we'll see a lot of JFM moving inside and being another rush presence from an interior DL. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

I think Zuniga definitely makes the roster. Douglas just took him in the 3rd round, he’s a plus athlete and now he’s in the perfect scheme fit.

If I had to guess, Bryce Huff will end up being the odd man out. He’s a better fit as a 3-4 OLB but maybe they stash him on the PS along with a guy like Hamilcar Rashed Jr.


Zuniga needs to take a jump forward ASAP.  He was hurt a lot of last year, a rookie with no OTA's and back coaching.  He's still an athletic freak via his RAS score and is now in a better scheme fit.  He's gotta show up this year with all the competition around him.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Guess Blair didn't want to use that head start SF gave him.  He waited almost 2 months to sign.

They probably had a deal a long time ago and just waited to sign him after June 1 for various salary-related reasons

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

What is the prognosis for Jabari Zuniga? Practice squad? I just do not see how he is going to crack this defensive line group. And, he does not seem like a fit for the type of OLB that Saleh likes. 

You know what. Crazy. Forget he was on our roster. 

I really hope this kid gets another shot. As only a 2nd year player. Under coach Saleh. Within a new atmosphere. A different culture. A different different defensive scheme. 

Adam Gase was 2-14 dreadful and will never get another coaching opportunity again and Gregg Williams is a p.o.s scumbag type of cowardly person. 

Jabari Zuniga was only a rookie last year during a pandemic off-season because of a worldwide crisis. 

Etc. 

This kid is super talented man. And as an FSU fan of the ACC I really want to give this Florida Gators SEC product another NFL swing. But this time; under coach Saleh. 

Lawson (RDE).

Going up against opposing Franchise LT's. I've missed the 4-3 DE pass rush dating back to the days of 1994; this is going to be fun to watch. 

Quinnen (DT#1). 

Dominating the trenches because a 4-3 Defense is where this kid truly belongs. He was an animal as a NT within a base 3-4 despite no outside pass rush from his OLB's; so I can't imagine the havoc he's going to cause on the interior because of Lawson applying relentless outside pressure. 

Rankins (DT #2).

Nice value signing. 27 years of age. 17.5 career sacks. And a veteran alongside big baby in QW. 

Zuniga (LDE). 

Going up against opposing RT's. 1 on 1 too (because of the pass rushing threat duo of Lawson/QW). This could become the perfect storm for a 2nd year kid in Zuniga. For him to become an NY household name (but this time, under Robert Saleh and not, Adam Gase). 

 

Kid looks awesome and freakishly athletic. 

I feel like Gase would've destroyed everyone if he stayed a second longer; therefore I refuse to quit on our underrated 2020 draft picks and all because of the ways Adam Gase played his players

(he freaking force fed 40 y.o Frank Gore the ball 10-15 times per game for freak sakes to the point of keeping The Johnson and La'Mical Perine glued to the bench). 

Etc. 

Come on man. 

Joe Douglas eyes were on fire 🔥 with excitement. 

Adam Gase? He looked mad. Frustrated. Not happy with the pick. Uninterested.

This wasn't an AG pick. This is a Joe Douglas pick; and now JD had his coach (in SALEH) to tap into this kids potential. 

Adam Gase? on this kids draft night? He looked like a 15 year old kid who didn't get his way (probably wanted an Offense player and probably rightfully so but nonetheless)

and you mean to tell me that as a fan base we're going to absolutely quit on a 3rd round pick? 18.5 career NCAA sacks? 33 career tackles for loss? All because of the Gase/Williams tandem? No thnx you. 

Has perfect size for a 4-3 DE too. 

He's 6'3/264 lbs. 

#94 John Abraham once played 4-3 DE @ 6'4/263 lbs. 

image.thumb.png.0b18792be9716ecf4a7a3d6f51b1596c.png

 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Sarge4Tide

  • 96 - Jonathan Marshall 6'3" 310 Arkansas (DT) (2021 Draft Pick - 6th Round)  

 During my annual highlight sweep before the draft this kid stuck out to me big time. He's  gonna be a player.

 it's funny cuz I knew we wouldn't be going d-line early in the draft. When I saw his profile I said that's our guy. Check him out.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

No idea, I think pre draft or draft day I thought he would be a good chip to move up but he's primarily a run stuffer so I think youd hope for a 4th?  Mayyyyyyybe a 3rd? really not sure. 

Problem is now, I think they'd probably prefer to trade him especially if all the other guys step up because you wont cut him, he's very good as an interior run defender.  I think if they can swing a deal for a player or pick then they do it, otherwise they'll just hold on to him for the year as he's certainly a good player.  

I just think we'll see a lot of JFM moving inside and being another rush presence from an interior DL. 

After Quinnen and Rankin who do you figure they will rotate into the interior D line rotation, if not Sheppard and Fotukasi?  Who plays if they trade them and someone gets hurt?   What lineup do you think they put out in short yardage and goal line???
We have a lot of potential edge pieces but our interior depth isn’t as deep IMO.

Unless the new rookie DT comes in and shows very well, I don’t see either going anywhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

blair seems to be pretty low risk.  it's not they're throwing a bunch of money at him.  he's coming off a bad injury and he's going to have to prove himself.  and if he does then the jets get a good player

as for zuniga, who knows.  he's got the physical talent.  last season was pretty weird on all accounts so hopefully a real training camp with a better coaching staff and he could easily become a force.  not to mention he's going to benefit from having a guy like lawson on the other side.  we'll see.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...