What If?

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We did have a horrible roster; on this we never disagreed.  The arguments we had were over whether Douglas was turning things around. 

My take was Maccagnan was at fault for like 98 % of our problems, but you believed Douglas was making a lot of poor decisions in his first offseason (first 2 if you count 2019 when he arrived late in the game) and might not be the right guy at GM.  

Now we seem to be on the same page that Douglas is doing good work, and that's weird!  

This is half true.  I believed JD was making the roster worse, but I was also very clear that I was pretty sure he was doing it on purpose. - cleaning house and understanding that the only way to do it right was just tear the thing completely down and start over.

When you guys were telling me he was making good moves and making the roster better I was just being clear that he wasn't - he made the roster worse and there's simply denying that...But he did what he had to do.

Now, I also wasn't sure that was the case and he could have been completely incompetent, but this off-season and more importantly draft proved out very clearly, at least to me, that he knew what he was doing and has an understanding of what it takes to win in today's NFL.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This is half true.  I believed JD was making the roster worse, but I was also very clear that I was pretty sure he was doing it on purpose. - cleaning house and understanding that the only way to do it right was just tear the thing completely down and start over.

When you guys were telling me he was making good moves and making the roster better I was just being clear that he wasn't - he made the roster worse and there's simply denying that...But he did what he had to do.

Now, I also wasn't sure that was the case and he could have been completely incompetent, but this off-season and more importantly draft proved out very clearly, at least to me, that he knew what he was doing and has an understanding of what it takes to win in today's NFL.

Well even in a roster tear-down situation, you still have to draft well.  To my recollection, you didn't like the 2020 draft nearly as much as I did.  So in that sense, yes, I argued he was making the roster better because he was drafting smart. 

Obviously, letting talent walk in FA/trades and replacing them with cheaper options is almost always going to make the roster worse in the short-term.  I never argued otherwise.  My take was those were the right calls to make at that time.  That combined with stockpiling picks and drafting well was how Douglas was going to make the roster better, it just wouldn't come to fruition in 2020.  

On 6/1/2021 at 6:25 PM, FidelioJet said:

Looking at this roster, there are a lot of questions but what if all of them were answered positively.  I'm not talking unrealistic goals but ones that individually are all reasonable..

Now, I realize they ALL won't happen but let's imagine they all do...

What If....

Offense

• Becton makes the leap and becomes a top 10 LT
  • AVT lives up to the hype and has a strong rookie year
  • McGovern finds his old form and is a top half of the league center
  • Cameron Clark wins the RG job as he outplays GVR and the others
  • Herdon learns to catch and lives up to even a little bit of the hype from his rookie year
  • Elijah Moore becomes a true weapon that can take it the house on any given play
  • Michael Carter (RB) is as good as advertised, scares defenses to keep more guys in the box
  • Mims breaks out this year and combined with Davis they become a true one-two punch.  Neither being a #1 but combined as two strong 2's that compliment each other
  • Zach Wilson plays smart, controlled football.  Shows he can make plays - keeps defenses honest but still looks like a rookie  - 3,200 yards or so type season.

Defense

1. Q breaks out and becomes a truly dominant interior DL
  2. Rest of the DL plays solid and is a top 5 unit
  3. Lawson holds true to form - guy that gets a lot of pressure but doesn't have huge sack numbers - but disruptive none-the-less
  4. Mosley returns to all-pro form
  5. We sign another solid CB like Sherman or some other solid starter - overall below average group but not bottom 5
  6. One or two of these late round rookies become legitimate contributors

Individually nothing on that list should surprise anyone, the idea of them all happening is the issue - but just for fun...

What's the record of this team?

If my aunt had balls , she would be my uncle .

Just noodling this offense a bit after watching the Moore video in another thread.

QB - check (but of course it's all on Wilson)

WR - check (Davis, Crowder, Mims, Moore and Cole are a solid and fairly deep unit)

RB - check (we don't have a bell cow but our system prefers a few young bucks, which we have)

OL - assuming health, we probably check four of five boxes here.  And at RG, we have at least three guys vying for the spot

TE - the biggest unknown.  Maybe Herndon recovers his mojo.  Maybe Yeboah is a gem.   

What I see is we are 2, maybe 3 players from having an offense that is ready to score points if Wilson turns out to be what we hope he can.  Give me a strong TE (unless we already have him) and an answer to the RG question, and there really isn't a weakness.  Throw in a solid swing Tackle and that's icing.

It's not KC yet, but it's got the potential to be playoff caliber.  I think next FA and draft should deliver us the rest of what we need.

Last year at this same time, we were probably looking for answers at 9 of 11 positions.  Basically everyone but Crowder and Becton.  A new system, coaching staff, and some health (hopefully|) have answered a few of them, and FA/Draft have answered more.

If you want to grade Joe Douglas on how he's doing, this is his midterm exam, and I think he scored very well.

• Upvote 1