Jets 6/2 OTAs are open to the media.

52 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Nope never said that. 

My point is about the injuries. 

If this were the regular season Zach Wilson would be expected to win games throwing to JAG WR's. 

Moore and Cole would be the top 2 in that scenario. That's a better combo then they had all of last year. You guys are sleeping on Keelan Cole.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

39 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'm just curious, you post this basic "X is awesome, JD and Salah are awesome, thank you, thank you we finally did it Jets Fans" post alot these days, in almost every thread you post in lately it feels like.

Is this like your new thing?  Your chosen meme?  Did you sell your JN account to Russian Botfarm?

I mean no worries, we all get it, we're all excited, but maybe it might be good to post something a bit more topical, maybe a little more varied, and on-topic once in a while?  A little less repetitive?

It's almost like the people who spent every day leading up to the draft taking about how bad Wilson is and how the Jets should keep Darnold. Must be those same Russian bots I guess. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

You know what makes me sad as a Darnold truther? That at this junction in Darnold’s rookie year he looked bad in practice and any positive instance was spun to be “improvement.” Meanwhile Zach is playing well and I’m getting tingly but I can’t actually compare the two because Zach going from “legit” to a “good rookie” is a negative while Darnold got to go from “swimming” to “showing flashes”

All I know is that I bought in 100% on Darnold, so I'm not going to make the same mistake and anoint Wilson the franchise savior any time soon.

• Upvote 1

Mixed results for Jets’ Zach Wilson near midpoint of OTAs, but still enough encouraging signs | Practice observations, takeaways - nj.com

By Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

The spring is when NFL players work out the kinks.

And that’s especially true for a rookie quarterback like the Jets’ Zach Wilson.

The Jets just drafted Wilson second overall, with the hope that he can practice well enough this spring and summer to earn the Week 1 starting job.

It seems likely that he will start in Week 1. But it also seems likely that he’ll have a bunch more uneven practices like Wednesday’s organized team activities session. That’s just the way things go for a rookie quarterback, especially in the spring.

Wednesday was the Jets’ fifth practice of OTAs, and the second that was open to reporters. So it’s still very early in this process for Wilson.

The Jets have five more OTAs practices (all voluntary) and then a three-day, mandatory minicamp from June 15-17. After that, they’re off until training camp starts July 27.

(Click here for our Wilson observations and takeaways from the Jets’ first open OTAs practice, on Thursday.)

And here’s what we thought of Wilson’s Wednesday practice, as the Jets had only an open practice and no interview access for reporters:

• The numbers: In 11-on-11 team periods, Wilson got eight reps and completed 2 of 2 passes. In 7-on-7 drills, he got 14 reps and completed 8 of 14 passes, with one interception that wasn’t his fault. Wilson was “sacked” once, in team periods by John Franklin-Myers. It was a coverage sack, so perhaps Wilson could have thrown the ball away in that situation.

• What went well: In the Jets’ first two (of three) 7-on-7s segments, they worked on red-zone plays. Every throw went to the end zone. And Wilson was 6-of-10 passing in those segments. His best throw of those six — a quick-release, short pass to Elijah Moore that hit Moore in stride, allowing him to run past Javelin Guidry and into the end zone. Really crisp throw from Wilson. This is the sort of decisiveness the Jets need in the red zone.

Wilson’s best throw in team periods was a well-placed, floating pass to Michael Carter — another nice-touch, in-stride completion — as he got past linebacker Jarrad Davis. Wilson spotted the coverage mismatch and dropped the ball in perfectly, over Davis, for a 15-yard gain down the sideline.

Wilson also threw a great ball over the middle for Braxton Berrios in 7-on-7s. Excellent zip on this pass, through coverage — Wilson clearly has a quick release — but the diving Berrios couldn’t hang on. So close to being the highlight play of the day.

• What went not so well: A few things, but nothing majorly concerning.

In 7-on-7s, Wilson threw a near-interception in the end zone, as he tried to squeeze the ball into tight double coverage. Probably not a risk he needs to take in that spot.

In another 7-on-7 red-zone period, Wilson threw a pass well long for Matt Cole. The next play was Wilson’s lone interception of the day, but it should’ve been a touchdown. The pass was on the mark, but it went off Vyncint Smith’s hands — rough practice for him Wednesday — and Michael Carter II picked it off. A brutal drop.

On Wilson’s third-to-last pass of practice — a 7-on-7 period outside of the red zone — he threw a wobbly ball for Smith. The pass was well off the mark and high. Jason Pinnock almost intercepted it. So even though Wilson’s one pick wasn’t his fault, he did have two other bad and/or risky throws Wednesday that could have been intercepted.

• Final analysis: Wilson didn’t look as sharp as he did in the first open practice of OTAs. Which is to be expected. There are ups and downs for any rookie quarterback. Not that Wilson had any major downs Wednesday, though.

And remember, this was just a snapshot of how he is performing this spring. The Jets have held three (of five) OTAs practices that reporters weren’t allowed to watch. Plus, these are no-pads, no-contact practices. So while it’s fun to recap how Wilson did, you should take anything that happens in the spring with a grain of salt.

Bottom line: As long as Wilson doesn’t look totally lost — and he doesn’t — and manages to avoid getting hurt, this will be a positive spring for him, as he grows and learns.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Mims was injured most of last season. 

Davis also brings somewhat of an injury history here. 

Hope they can stay healthy for the regular season. 

Its OTAs.  You dont even know that either are hurt and if they are would sit if it were a game.

Youre just talking to talk.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

All I know is that I bought in 100% on Darnold, so I'm not going to make the same mistake and anoint Wilson the franchise savior any time soon.

The b/u situation should be addressed ASAP. All of the AFC East have experienced b/u QBs except for us. 

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Its OTAs.  You dont even know that either are hurt and if they are would sit if it were a game.

Last time I checked this was still a football message board NY Jets talk. 

Talk about Robert Saleh, Joe Douglas & the NFL in our NY Jets message board.

3.5m

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

See... no matter how different it actually is, it feels the same. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Last time I checked this was still a football message board NY Jets talk. 

Talk about Robert Saleh, Joe Douglas & the NFL in our NY Jets message board.

3.5m

And me saying you dont know that theyre hurt or why theyre out is football

Crying about OTAs isnt football, its just crying

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I'm just curious, you post this basic "X is awesome, JD and Salah are awesome, thank you, thank you we finally did it Jets Fans" post alot these days, in almost every thread you post in lately it feels like.

Is this like your new thing?  Your chosen meme?  Did you sell your JN account to Russian Botfarm?

I mean no worries, we all get it, we're all excited, but maybe it might be good to post something a bit more topical, maybe a little more varied, and on-topic once in a while?  A little less repetitive?

Thank you. Said the safety out of Florida State we drafted is in his top ten list of players drafted out of that school. That's ban worthy.And people complain about JetsFanShawn. Lol.

6 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

The Jets have three players from the 2019 sixth round in their secondary.  Hampton #177 to the Saints with what was originally the Jets pick, Ballentine #180 to the Giants and Austin #196 to the Jets with a pick Chicago traded in the Mack deal we got from Oakland/Las Vegas/Los Angeles/whatever as the give back in the Osemele deal.

For some reason Jets fans want to anoint Blessuan Austin, but Ballentine had higher upside and even more  reason to need time to develop.  Yes, Austin was coming off his ACL stuff, but Ballentine came from a tiny school and was shot in the leg between the draft and his first training camp.  Ballentine is working under his fourth staff and 5th DC in 3 years.  Shurmur/Bettcher in 2019, Judge/Graham in 2020, then Gase/Williams/Bush in 2020 and now Saleh/Ubrich.  It will be interesting who these guys settle on and if they bring someone in. 

I doubt we are going to bring anybody in at this point.  As I wrote earlier, we have drafted so many defensive backs and invited so many UDFA guys that there is an all out war for jobs and roster spots underway at Linebacker, Cornerback and Safety.  As I wrote earlier:

"While many were perplexed by day three of the draft and our undrafted free agents, there is something at work.  That something is an all-out-war for roster spots on the Jets this season.  It is clear that nobody's job is safe as Saleh implements his new system.  If you ever played the video game "Frogger", then you have a rough understanding of what Saleh is trying to do with his back seven on defense.  To Saleh, every linebacker/safety/corner is a linebacker on running plays.  And every linebacker/safety/corner is a defensive back on passing downs.  The entire back seven is part of the scheme regardless of whether it is a running play or passing play.   

I referenced Frogger since the horizontal crossing of defenders in the passing lanes is part of what Saleh is trying to do.  The same is true in the run defense as everybody is expected to man the barricades to fill gaps.  Through his draft and invites as undrafted free agents, it is clear that there is an all-out-war underway on the Jets for roster spots.

At Corner; Hall, Austin, Jackson and Guidry have been joined by Carter (5th), Pinnock (5th),  Echols (6th) and Isaiah Dunn (FA).  And that does not include Justin Hardee who has the roster made as the gunner on special teams.  Echols and Dunn may be viewed by the Jets as Safeties.

At Safety; Maye, Joiner and Davis have been joined by Brandon White and Jordyn Peters.  White may be viewed by the Jets as a linebacker.

At Linebacker; Mosely and Davis have been joined by Sherwood (5th), Nasirildeen (5th), and Eifler (FA).

Any way you look at it, there are now 19 bona-fide players at linebacker/safety/corner for perhaps 14-16 spots.  Who are the favorites?  Let's face it fellas, there are no favorites.  Anybody can be replaced or supplanted.  There are open roster spots and starting jobs on the line all over the team.  It will be a battle royale in training camp."

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

Confused Excuse Me GIF by GIPHY News

DJ writes for the NYDN.  Same place Cimini, and Mehta worked.  He was the same guy who last OTA said "Wilson was holding the ball way to long"   All the other scribes went out of their way to say it wasn't true.

Expect a lot of negative reporting from him.  

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Or perhaps, and I know this might sound crazy, he's just hoping two players with previous injury history can stay healthy for us in 2021.

Insanity, I know.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

I remember many of us saying the same thing with Darnold, circa 2018.

WEll, not exactly.

Growing pains

Sam Darnold played poorly in his first OTA practice. He looked overwhelmed in the pocket at times. He had trouble communicating with his receivers. He completed only 2-of-10 passes and took two sacks. (No one actually touched him, the pressure just got to him before he threw the ball.) Darnold tossed a couple of interceptions in 7-on-7 drills. And there was another botched snap. 

It was probably a frustrating day for the Jets' quarterback of the future. We don't know. The Jets didn't make him available to talk. But frustration is OK at this stage. A rookie is supposed to look a little lost on his first day of real professional practice.

If Darnold is struggling in August, it might be time to worry a little. But there's nothing wrong with him looking a little overwhelmed on Day 1.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Or perhaps, and I know this might sound crazy, he's just hoping two players with previous injury history can stay healthy for us in 2021.

Insanity, I know.

And that will be two of you who dont understand how camp, OTAs work.

Its June 2, you dont even know that either is injured.  Or how badly if they are.

But go ahead and worry.  Why wait to hear what the issue was.  Or if they would have missed a regular game.

Because if Cole, Davis, Mims and Crowder were out of a game, we wouldnt be playing jags.  

Insanity I know

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Can't wait for the same people saying "relax otas no need for players to be there".  To also say the first few weeks.  "How can you expect the team to be any good and have chemistry if they did not play together in otas?"

You worry about guys missing camp time, not OTAs on 6/2

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

Moore and Cole would be the top 2 in that scenario. That's a better combo then they had all of last year. You guys are sleeping on Keelan Cole.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see him starting over Mims to start the yearWouldn’t be surprised to see him starting over Mims to start the year

Its June 2, you dont even know that either is injured.  Or how badly if they are.

Correct.  I don't think the expression of hope that the Jets WR's stay healthy requires an actual new injury in order to be justified.

Missed time is missed time, it's generally preferable (I think most would agree) that players don't miss time, practice or games.

After all, practice is important too, especially in a new system, under a new Coach, with a new QB.  Especially in the modern NFL of limited practice time.

But go ahead and worry.  Why wait to hear what the issue was.  Or if they would have missed a regular game.

Thanks for the permission. 

I don't really see it as "worrying", more so a generic expression of logical concern based on historical facts.

Because if Cole, Davis, Mims and Crowder were out of a game, we wouldnt be playing jags.  

If only one were out, no, we wouldn't be playing JAG's.  We'd play Moore, the rookie.  I think we're all pleased about that.

If two were out, we start getting into the more JAG'y depth players.  Like Berrios, for example.

With that said, I'm not sure that is terribly relevant to expressing a mild desire at this time of year that, for example, "I sure hope these guys who had previous injuries stay healthy and don't miss time, practice or games".

I'll repeat, practice is important too, especially in a new system, under a new Coach, with a new QB.  

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Interesting hypothesis.

Correct.  I don't think the expression of hope that the Jets WR's stay healthy requires an actual new injury in order to be justified.

Missed time is missed time, it's generally preferable (I think most would agree) that players don't miss time, practice or games.

After all, practice is important too, especially in a new system, under a new Coach, with a new QB.  Especially in the modern NFL of limited practice time.

Thanks for the permission. 

I don't really see it as "worrying", more so a generic expression of logical concern based on historical facts.

If only one were out, no, we wouldn't be playing JAG's.  We'd play Moore, the rookie.  I think we're all pleased about that.

If two were out, we start getting into the more JAG'y depth players.  Like Berrios, for example.

With that said, I'm not sure that is terribly relevant to expressing a mild desire at this time of year that, for example, "I sure hope these guys who had previous injuries stay healthy and don't miss time, practice or games".

I'll repeat, practice is important too, especially in a new system, under a new Coach, with a new QB.  

This seems like such an odd thing for someone to get worked up over tbqh.

A complicated post that ignores the simple fact that its 6/2 or that it will make a difference in games unless it lingers for 3 months.   

I'm not worked up over anything, I made a comment, its 6/2, we dont know why theyre out and dont even know if they weren't given a personal day.  If you've ever followed camp you would agree, a sore toe has the CS sitting you down.   Its all about working yourself into game shape

None of this has anything to do with game 1 100 days from now.

That was the simple point

• Haha 1

From Connor Hughes

Wilson report

The Jets certainly ramped up their offense and expectations for Wilson in Week 2. That’s understandable, considering last week was the first time anyone on offense (with the exception of Coleman) played in this scheme. Offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur was a bit more aggressive with his play-calling. Despite this, Wilson, just like last week, never seemed lost.

The Jets ran two sets of 11-on-11 drills and three series of 7-on-7 work. Two of the three 7-on-7 drills were inside the red zone. It was tough to tell exactly where coaches spotted the ball, but it appeared to be at the 10-yard line. Wilson completed all three of his pass attempts in team drills, but took one sack (John Franklin-Myers). He went 8-of-14 with five touchdowns (all in the red zone) and an interception in the 7-on-7 work. The interception wasn’t really his fault. Wilson threw a pass right to receiver Vyncint Smith. The ball went in and out of his hands, and Carter grabbed it on the deflection.

Two major takeaways on Wilson: Just like last week, he worked entirely against the first-team defense. You’d expect him to force some passes, hold on to the ball too long and have a few miscommunications with receivers. There’s none of that, which is wild.

The second: He’s not throwing the fastball every play. You can see how lively Wilson’s arm is. Normally, when young quarterbacks have a cannon, they’re using every bit of that velocity on every play. Not Wilson.

There was one play when he put everything behind a laser to Moore for a first down on a deep curl. He had to. He needed to get the ball to Moore as quickly as possible so he could get up the field. Two plays later, though, Wilson threw with a perfect touch pass to Carter on a wheel route. He lofted it over the defender’s head (I couldn’t tell who because of awkward vantage point). It’s fun to watch where he picks and chooses his spots.

• Upvote 4