June 2 in Jet History: Wayne Chrebet Retires

This obviously would vary from fan to fan and be heavily influenced by age, but if there were a "consensus" favorite players list, where would Chrebet fall?  Namath is unquestionably #1, but I think Chrebet might fall at #2 but I may be skewed because I'm relatively younger(37).

That said, me personally, I was never that into Chrebet for whatever reason.  Even if I only consider guys from my lifetime/fanhood, he doesn't make my personal top 5 favorite Jets. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

This obviously would vary from fan to fan and be heavily influenced by age, but if there were a "consensus" favorite players list, where would Chrebet fall?  Namath is unquestionably #1, but I think Chrebet might fall at #2 but I may be skewed because I'm relatively younger(37).

That said, me personally, I was never that into Chrebet for whatever reason.  Even if I only consider guys from my lifetime/fanhood, he doesn't make my personal top 5 favorite Jets. 

He doesn't make my top 5 favorite Jets WR list.   

What a great player. In the end, you were terrified after every tackle cause you werent sure if he was going to get knocked out or not.  

Ill never forget that look on his face as he was laying on his back in the meadowlands after a relatively soft tackle.  It got real bad in the end.

I hope he is doing ok mentally

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Huge fan of Chrebet . 65% of his receptions went for a first down

While he didn't have the same career he reminded me of Steve Largent as in you know where the ball is going and he's still open and catches  it.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Here are a few thoughts on Mr. 3rd down.

Let me start with.. has anybody else ever noticed that Bill Belichick tried to clone Chrebet over the years?  Danny Amendola, Julian Edelman come to mind.

Also it wasn't that long ago that football was a completely different game. By this I mean it used to be focused on toughness and had much looser rules and is now focused on athleticism and ridiculous rules.

Just from memory I believe Chrebet was a jersey kid. I met him a few times at Hofstra practices back in the day. He was a simple everyday guy, kind of how my father described Billy Joel's music. He talked like one of us.

For any of you young guys who didn't get to watch him play in live games let me say that the NFL was different back then. Guys weren't on Twitter congratulating each other for their contracts or exchanging jerseys. Opposing teams players were the Enemy.

Obviously an under sized white dude playing in a predominantly black dude sport he had to earn his stripes. He was a tough gritty little S.O.B. and I don't think I ever saw him drop a ball, but I definitely saw him get into a few scraps lol.

I'd say he played a lot more like Rob Gronkowski then say someone like Antonio Brown. He always showed up in big moments. Those were his wow moments. Hence why they called him Mr. 3rd down.

Lastly he and #87 Laverneous Coles, were my favorite Jet tandem at WR since I've been a fan. Looking back on it it was obvious that those two dudes we're really good friends and had made a pact to be the toughest they could be out on the field. Coles in his own right being just as tough for revealing openly to the league that he was molested as a child. 

It was definitely a different time. Our wide receivers were a force to be reckoned with. Watching replays or highlights doesn't do it the same justice as seeing it live as it happened. It was totally Badass.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Here are a few thoughts on Mr. 3rd down.

Let me start with.. has anybody else ever noticed that Bill Belichick tried to clone Chrebet over the years?  Danny Amendola, Julian Edelman come to mind.

Also it wasn't that long ago that football was a completely different game. By this I mean it used to be focused on toughness and had much looser rules and is now focused on athleticism and ridiculous rules.

Just from memory I believe Chrebet was a jersey kid. I met him a few times at Hofstra practices back in the day. He was a simple everyday guy, kind of how my father described Billy Joel's music. He talked like one of us.

For any of you young guys who didn't get to watch him play in live games let me say that the NFL was different back then. Guys weren't on Twitter congratulating each other for their contracts or exchanging jerseys. Opposing teams players were the Enemy.

Obviously an under sized white dude playing in a predominantly black dude sport he had to earn his stripes. He was a tough gritty little S.O.B. and I don't think I ever saw him drop a ball, but I definitely saw him get into a few scraps lol.

I'd say he played a lot more like Rob Gronkowski then say someone like Antonio Brown. He always showed up in big moments. Those were his wow moments. Hence why they called him Mr. 3rd down.

Lastly he and #87 Laverneous Coles, were my favorite Jet tandem at WR since I've been a fan. Looking back on it it was obvious that those two dudes we're really good friends and had made a pact to be the toughest they could be out on the field. Coles in his own right being just as tough for revealing openly to the league that he was molested as a child. 

It was definitely a different time. Our wide receivers were a force to be reckoned with. Watching replays or highlights doesn't do it the same justice as seeing it live as it happened. It was totally Badass.

interesting point about the bellichiken and guys like welker and edelman.  imo, chrebet put the slot receiver thing on the map.

and just who can diss a local guy making good story?  the jets would be very lucky to have a team full of chrebet like players.

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

interesting point about the bellichiken and guys like welker and edelman.  imo, chrebet put the slot receiver thing on the map.

and just who can diss a local guy making good story?  the jets would be very lucky to have a team full of chrebet like players.

Oddly enough we plucked Berrios off of the Patriots practice squad. I believe there's something to my theory. Evil emperor Belichick is creating a Chrebet clone army!

9 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Oddly enough we plucked Berrios off of the Patriots practice squad. I believe there's something to my theory. Evil emperor Belichick is creating a Chrebet clone army!

i wouldn't go that far but berrios is pretty quick and can get open.  his hands need to be better.

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

i wouldn't go that far but berrios is pretty quick and can get open.  his hands need to be better.

Totally agreed I was just pointing out the stereotype. Chrebet ,Amendola, Berrios, and Edelman are all like nasty little pitbulls LOL! They come off very unsuspecting.

Being tough and Compact and willing to work the middle of the field, finding the open zones makes their type invaluable.

• Upvote 1