2021 JN Fantasy Football (ESPN)

JN Fantasy Football 2021  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Should we make it a money league this year? (NOTE: Venmo would be the preferred method of payment)

• No
    • Yes, for $50 per player
    • Yes, for $40
    • Yes, for $30
    • Yes, for $20
    • Yes, for other amount (specify in thread)
  2. 2. Which playoff format do you prefer? (Keep in mind we expect this to end up a 12-team league again, but it could end up being 10)

• 6 teams, with 2 byes and 2-week playoff matchups
    • 4 teams, with no byes and 2-week playoff matchups
  3. 3. Are you OK with the "Superflex" concept that I've installed? (Essentially an extra flex spot which can go to a QB, RB, WR, or TE)

4. 4. Would you like to install a "Coach Win" concept, where a coach win earns you points and a coach loss loses you points?

51 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

@Paradis @ElBarrioJets @JustEndTheSuffering @Jet_Engine1 @heymangold @PS17 @JTJet @BornJetsFan1983 @kdels62 

Predator still hasn't posted since February, so I went ahead and removed his spot.  We are now a 10-team league.

It sounded like some of you guys were OK with the Optional/3rd QB spot as long as it was only 10 teams instead of 12, thus meaning that no more than 30 QB's would end up getting drafted.  Is this the case?  If not we can do a standard 2-QB league.  Boring, but whatever.  

The winning vote was for this to be a money league, for $50 per player.  A couple of you did NOT want to do a money league, so I am checking in on that as well.

I'm in, whatever is decided...within reason

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

@Paradis @ElBarrioJets @JustEndTheSuffering @Jet_Engine1 @heymangold @PS17 @JTJet @BornJetsFan1983 @kdels62 

Predator still hasn't posted since February, so I went ahead and removed his spot.  We are now a 10-team league.

It sounded like some of you guys were OK with the Optional/3rd QB spot as long as it was only 10 teams instead of 12, thus meaning that no more than 30 QB's would end up getting drafted.  Is this the case?  If not we can do a standard 2-QB league.  Boring, but whatever.  

The winning vote was for this to be a money league, for $50 per player.  A couple of you did NOT want to do a money league, so I am checking in on that as well.

I'm good whatever the format! 2 QB / a super flex right?

• Upvote 1

1 QB with a super flex is the current format on the table.  Each team can draft a max of 3 QBs.

Ahhhh  superflex...   now that's a league where a Ryan Fitzpatrick can have tremendous value.  Superflex is like entering the fantasy twilight zone.  I did it once and liked it while both QBs were riding high.  One tailed off and the other got hurt and that's all she wrote.  Just missed the playoffs.  Get ready for QB dependency syndrome. 

On 6/3/2021 at 10:02 PM, JTJet said:

I REALLY want that coach slot though lol. Even if it's just +1/-1 for win loss. Just adds an interesting dynamic and can literally be the difference maker on some weeks. 

I'm not joining the league but was reading through the thread. What is this concept? I just did a google search for it and can't find it anywhere? Do you essentially draft a HC as well and if he wins that week, you get x points added to your weekly score?

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I'm not joining the league but was reading through the thread. What is this concept? I just did a google search for it and can't find it anywhere? Do you essentially draft a HC as well and if he wins that week, you get x points added to your weekly score?

Yes. 

It's a really fun angle if you do it right. In ESPNs FF setup, if you go under the settings for adjusting which positions are on your roster for your league, you can select the coach option. Then you just draft one during your draft. 

In the past I've done a +1/-1 option for win/loss, with another +4/-4 if the win/loss is by a 28+ point margin. In the right scenarios, it can wildly swing your weekly matchup if say your coach wins against someone by 28 and their coach loses by 28, boom, 8 point swing.

I've also added punters before, then scored them based off of their average punt distance and how many punts inside the 20/10/5. 

I like doing these set ups so fantasy feels more whole, punters and coaches affect the teams/games just as much as anyone else, so why not? 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Yes. 

It's a really fun angle if you do it right. In ESPNs FF setup, if you go under the settings for adjusting which positions are on your roster for your league, you can select the coach option. Then you just draft one during your draft. 

In the past I've done a +1/-1 option for win/loss, with another +4/-4 if the win/loss is by a 28+ point margin. In the right scenarios, it can wildly swing your weekly matchup if say your coach wins against someone by 28 and their coach loses by 28, boom, 8 point swing.

I've also added punters before, then scored them based off of their average punt distance and how many punts inside the 20/10/5. 

I like doing these set ups so fantasy feels more whole, punters and coaches affect the teams/games just as much as anyone else, so why not? 

Thanks for the detail. Sounds awesome. As a general rule, I hate the ESPN interface so I stick to Yahoo FF. Will need to see if they have the coach option as I also really like that idea.

In all of my leagues I'm constantly pushing for ways to have each week feel as holistic and natural when compared to a real game as possible. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Thanks for the detail. Sounds awesome. As a general rule, I hate the ESPN interface so I stick to Yahoo FF. Will need to see if they have the coach option as I also really like that idea.

In all of my leagues I'm constantly pushing for ways to have each week feel as holistic and natural when compared to a real game as possible. 

No problem. That natural feel is what I go for as well, keeps it fresh. 

Not to mention, theres nothing like losing a matchup because your punter or coach screwed you lol. 

@Paradis @ElBarrioJets @Jet_Engine1 @heymangold @PS17 @JTJet @BornJetsFan1983 @kdels62 @32EBoozer

When you have a moment, please check out the current league settings and let me know if you approve.  If there are any disputes on any of the rules in place we can put them up to a vote.

Please also let me know which of these potential draft days/times work for you.  You can vote for more than one, so please choose any/all that apply.  The day/time slot with the most total votes will win:

• Sunday, Aug 29:  7:30 PM EST/4:30 PM PST    5 votes
  • Monday, Aug 30:  8:30 PM EST/5:30 PM PST   2 votes
  • Wednesday, Sep 1:  8:30 PM EST/5:30 PM PST   2 votes
  • Thursday, Sep 2:  9:30 PM EST/6:30 PM PST    2 votes
  • Monday, Sep 6:  9:30 PM EST/6:30 PM PST     2 votes

Please also let me know if you would like to conduct this draft via Zoom or perhaps Microsoft Teams, as an offline draft.  

Lastly, I'll be PMing all of you prior to the start of the season with my payment contact info so you that you can send me your $50 dues.  I will be able to accept any of the following:  Venmo (preferred option); Zelle; CashApp; and Facebook Pay.

Thanks all, and good luck!

4 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

@Jetsfan80how do we check league settings? what was it on? I vote Sunday!!

ok sorry espn, got it.

Question - is the play off bracket updates so we get an extra game of reg season for fantasy and fantasy championship game is second to last game of regulars season?

Quick question can we 6 pt QB? Can we do FAB budget verse waiver wire? where everyone get 100 bucks to spend?

Everything looks great the way you have it set up! SO I am ok if not but I really like 6 pt qb and also FAB 100 - that way everyone no matter what has a chance to get FA...

1 minute ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

ok sorry espn, got it.

Question - is the play off bracket updates so we get an extra game of reg season for fantasy and fantasy championship game is second to last game of regulars season?

Quick question can we 6 pt QB? Can we do FAB budget verse waiver wire? where everyone get 100 bucks to spend?

Everything looks great the way you have it set up! SO I am ok if not but I really like 6 pt qb and also FAB 100 - that way everyone no matter what has a chance to get FA...

Generally QBs dont get 6pts for TDs because they touch the ball every single play. Seeing as how this league can have 3 QBs starting per team, prob a good idea to keep it at 4pts. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Generally QBs dont get 6pts for TDs because they touch the ball every single play. Seeing as how this league can have 3 QBs starting per team, prob a good idea to keep it at 4pts. 

That doesn't really make any sense...what do you mean? only 2 qbs can be started...

And a 4pt TD QB elevates qbs who run in a tds more favorable verse those that thrown them. guys like tyrod talylor being top 12 QB is silly. but think about it 6 make everyone equal - running or throwing...

I prefer system that has all QB on equal footing...especially a 2 QB league. It is far from norm to have it 4 pt. That was like 20 years ago... If you don't get one of the runner QBs basically you are at a disadvantage for no reason at all. There is simply not enough running qbs to go around. You should not be punished for random luck picking say last in the draft etc.

Its fine but you should know it gives advantage to those picking higher...and we are playing for money, it should be equal footing for all. You could be picking 8th and ever have a shot at getting one of the higher scoring backs...or more importantly there is a huge advantage of picking a 2nd qb that runs in scores.who ever get that one guy has huge advantage over everyone.

Its not like oh my qb had a bad game and I lost, it is my qb has same number of TDs and yards as your but I lost because the rules say he gets more points for running them in. 

5 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

That doesn't really make any sense...what do you mean? only 2 qbs can be started...

And a 4pt TD QB elevates qbs who run in a tds more favorable verse those that thrown them. guys like tyrod talylor being top 12 QB is silly. but think about it 6 make everyone equal - running or throwing...

I prefer system that has all QB on equal footing...especially a 2 QB league. It is far from norm to have it 4 pt. That was like 20 years ago... If you don't get one of the runner QBs basically you are at a disadvantage for no reason at all. There is simply not enough running qbs to go around. You should not be punished for random luck picking say last in the draft etc.

Its fine but you should know it gives advantage to those picking higher...and we are playing for money, it should be equal footing for all. You could be picking 8th and ever have a shot at getting one of the higher scoring backs...or more importantly there is a huge advantage of picking a 2nd qb that runs in scores.who ever get that one guy has huge advantage over everyone.

Its not like oh my qb had a bad game and I lost, it is my qb has same number of TDs and yards as your but I lost because the rules say he gets more points for running them in. 

We are playing in a 3 QB league. 2 QBs and a utility/flex slot that can be a QB as well.  

Again, QBs touch the ball every single play, RBs/WRs/TEs do not come close, so the scoring needs to reflect a balanced playing field, and that's generally how it's done in fantasy. 

38 minutes ago, JTJet said:

We are playing in a 3 QB league. 2 QBs and a utility/flex slot that can be a QB as well.  

Again, QBs touch the ball every single play, RBs/WRs/TEs do not come close, so the scoring needs to reflect a balanced playing field, and that's generally how it's done in fantasy. 

No, it’s a 1 QB league with an OP spot which will most likely be used by most on a QB.  So, effectively, it’s a 2-QB league.  

The OP spot just provides extra flexibility in case teams don’t have a 2nd QB available in a given week. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No, it’s a 1 QB league with an OP spot which will most likely be used by most on a QB.  So, effectively, it’s a 2-QB league.  

The OP spot just provides extra flexibility in case teams don’t have a 2nd QB available in a given week. 

again i really want to empathize that we should really be using 6 pt for qbs, no offense to the other poster but what he is saying does not compute, I have played alot of fantasy and am way to big of a nerd for it honestly - but the 4pt set up really sets more than half the league at a disadvantage. 6 pt is much more fair and gives everyone a fair shot at winning... if it was a 3 qb league like he said I would not play because the disadvantage at that point.

also the FAB makes it alot more fair too, not just worst team getting best players - all players have equal change to get people...

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You were in the league last year, when we were on ESPN, lol.

And on some things, yeah, I admit Yahoo is better.  But I’ve gotten used to ESPN over the years so I’m sticking with it. 

I said the same thing last year...lol

Next to Yahoo, ESPN FF looks like something made in the early days of the internet. 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Wait I thought you decided on a 3 QB league since it was 10 teams? Maybe I missed something. 

1 hour ago, JTJet said:

Wait I thought you decided on a 3 QB league since it was 10 teams? Maybe I missed something. 

No.  2 QBs (with 3 rostered on each team) ended up being too many for 12 teams last year.  But with 10 teams it’s much more workable.  30 total QBs rostered can work.  36 does not. 

All we did was replace that 2nd QB starting spot with an “OP” spot this year, while reducing the # of teams down from 12 to 10.

No.  2 QBs (with 3 rostered on each team) ended up being too many for 12 teams last year.  But with 10 teams it’s much more workable.  30 total QBs rostered can work.  36 does not. 

All we did was replace that 2nd QB starting spot with an “OP” spot this year, while reducing the # of teams down from 12 to 10.

I see where you're at now. All good. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PS17 said:

Strongly prefer Sunday (8/29) as draft day. My only guaranteed day off. Also is the superflex format confirmed? 

Thanks @Jetsfan80 for organizing. I’ll venmo you $50 when everything is set up. 

For the bold:  Yes unless the majority of the league wishes to veto that decision.  I can set up a poll later this week for any remaining contentious issues (super flex, FAAB, scoring, etc).