Look Back: How Good was Revis in 2009???

The greatest coverage CB of All-Time. 
His ACL injury stole NFL greatness. #24 was robbed of an untouchable career. 
His 2010 season was just as insane. 
Not even #21 Sanders shadowed #1 WRs on an island one on one on the outside; because 90% of the time Sanders coaches would line him up against lesser #2 WR's while they rolled coverage over to opposing #1 WRs. 
Revis Island changed the CB position forever. 

Omg I thought your comments about this year’s Knicks D being on par with the Ewing/Oakley years were delusional but this really takes the cake. You have no idea what you’re talking about with a comment like this about Sanders. I’m gonna go ahead and assume you weren’t alive back then.Wow.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Omg I thought your comments about this year’s Knicks D being on par with the Ewing/Oakley years but this really takes the cake. You have no idea what you’re talking about with a comment like this about Sanders. I’m gonna go ahead and assume you weren’t alive back then.Wow.

You're telling me Sanders DID NOT LINE UP ON THE OTHER SIDE against opposing #2 WR's?!?

Maybe it's you, who didn't watch him play. 

Yes. Occasionally Sanders had his matchups against Jerry Rice etc but most of his career was guarding #2 WRs. 

3 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Omg I thought your comments about this year’s Knicks D being on par with the Ewing/Oakley years but this really takes the cake. You have no idea what you’re talking about with a comment like this about Sanders. I’m gonna go ahead and assume you weren’t alive back then.Wow.

Bingo.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

There are guys who played at the same time, at the same level, who are still playing in Sherman and Peterson. 

That's because they were drafted after Revis. And that's why they're still playing ?

Revis: 2007. 11 year career. 

Sherman: 2011. 10 year career (currently FA). 

Peterson. 2011. 10 year career. 

So. WTF are you even talking about? 

#24 is on every NFL expert's TOP 5 CBs of all time. 

4 1st-team All-Pro's and 7 Pro Bowl's. 

Before his ACL injury he was the greatest coverage CB of All Time. One on one on an island against #1 WRs. 

• Upvote 3

During our back to back championship runs. Their was no better player. He singlehandidly took away one side of the field and just shut down the best WR on that team. He was taken for granted what he was going to do and he did it to perfection. For a career. No one was better than Deion at that position

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

1-2 stellar seasons. He got paid every other year. Robbed of nothing. This sport has seen many athletes produce 1-2 incredible seasons and vanish.

He changed nothing about the position. There are guys who played at the same time, at the same level, who are still playing in Sherman and Peterson.

He was a rare gem for the Jets. In the grand scheme of things, Jets fans over-rate his significance because we don’t get to have nice things.

Correct.  Had a few elite seasons, a few good seasons and a few bad seasons.

Very overrated by Jet fans.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

1-2 stellar seasons. He got paid every other year. Robbed of nothing. This sport has seen many athletes produce 1-2 incredible seasons and vanish.

He changed nothing about the position. There are guys who played at the same time, at the same level, who are still playing in Sherman and Peterson.

He was a rare gem for the Jets. In the grand scheme of things, Jets fans over-rate his significance because we don’t get to have nice things.

ABC8FCB9-D092-4DC1-A354-0726E5982BC3.jpeg

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Lets just take a quick look at just how good Revis was in 2009.   

Love him or hate him simply amazing!!

Best season ever by a CB as far as shutting down ANY WR.  Wasn’t the best playmaker but he handled his business in man like non other since the rule changes and it’s not even debatable to me.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Wow some of you seriously underrate Deon Sanders. People didn't throw to his side of the field either. Why? There was a good chance he was going to pick you off and take it to the house. Sanders was a great corner and play maker.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, rldev said:

Wow some of you seriously underrate Deon Sanders. People didn't throw to his side of the field either. Why? There was a good chance he was going to pick you off and take it to the house. Sanders was a great corner and play maker.

Sanders was way better then revis and for much longer.  

He was a very good, HOF worthy DB.  Let me say that up-front.

With that out of the way, I also continue to think that Revis benefitted from "superstar reputation" as much as his actual play.

It's far easier to give up low yards and few TD's when QB's and OCo's are terrified of throwing in your direction.

Between his great (at times) play, and his massive, hyped, reputation, as well as the Refs treating him to some degree under "Jordan Rules" when it came to PI, it was obvious that most O-Co's simply preferred to beat up on our other, much less good, DB's rather than even test Revis.

And there is a difference between being constantly tested and winning, and not being tested much at all.

As Revis got a little older, and O-Co's started testing him, his "elite Revis Island" rep was torn up, he was burned, alot, regularly, in those later years.

One wonders if he was tested alot more in those "elite" years if he'd still have been so elite.  Maybe he would, it was pre-injuries as well, which surely played a factor in his speedy decline in those later years.

Always an interesting topic.  

• Upvote 2

Revis was one of the most physical CBs who ever lived to play the position and also tackled like an MLB. 

If you out Revis in Sanders era of the 80s/90s? Forget about it. 

It was much easier for CBs to defend in #21's era than it was in #24's era. Thats an understatement. 

Revis was the greatest coverage CB of All Time. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Please back up these claims with stats, including player faced in man coverage.  Appreciate 

• Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

Please back up these claims with stats, including player faced in man coverage.  Appreciate 

Where can we find "player faced in man coverage" stats for both Revis, and older players like Sanders, Green, etc?

3 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

That's because they were drafted after Revis. And that's why they're still playing ?

Revis: 2007. 11 year career. 

Sherman: 2011. 10 year career (currently FA). 

Peterson. 2011. 10 year career. 

So. WTF are you even talking about? 

#24 is on every NFL expert's TOP 5 CBs of all time. 

4 1st-team All-Pro's and 7 Pro Bowl's. 

Before his ACL injury he was the greatest coverage CB of All Time. One on one on an island against #1 WRs. 

Splitting hairs and missing the point, so you can keep fighting with everyone over moot points.

It’s a good look.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Where can we find "player faced in man coverage" stats for both Revis, and older players like Sanders, Green, etc?

We know the Jets were primarily in man coverage in 2009

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Those are certainly players we could consider.  Certainly not Richard Sherman

6 hours ago, Beerfish said:

All the best #1 Wr's came up against Revis and got totally shut down one after another.

But read deeper, some Jets fans will tell you how that really wasnt true and Revis isnt as good as Jets fans make him out to be.  And list all those who were better

I've never seen a CB go from one side of the field to the other and shut down a teams #1 WR threat.  Ever.  Not Sanders, not anyone.  Add in the things Revis did that Sanders refused to do like match up against those #1s, like play the run and tackle. 

Namath, Curtis Martin, Revis, all our best players you can come here and pretty much read the same thing.   Jets fans overrate them.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

He was a very good, HOF worthy DB.  Let me say that up-front.

With that out of the way, I also continue to think that Revis benefitted from "superstar reputation" as much as his actual play.

It's far easier to give up low yards and few TD's when QB's and OCo's are terrified of throwing in your direction.

Between his great (at times) play, and his massive, hyped, reputation, as well as the Refs treating him to some degree under "Jordan Rules" when it came to PI, it was obvious that most O-Co's simply preferred to beat up on our other, much less good, DB's rather than even test Revis.

And there is a difference between being constantly tested and winning, and not being tested much at all.

As Revis got a little older, and O-Co's started testing him, his "elite Revis Island" rep was torn up, he was burned, alot, regularly, in those later years.

One wonders if he was tested alot more in those "elite" years if he'd still have been so elite.  Maybe he would, it was pre-injuries as well, which surely played a factor in his speedy decline in those later years.

Always an interesting topic.  

another way is how those first and second rex teams still had some good talent and enthusiasm.  i have no doubt bart scott was getting on revis the whole season and made him better.  that's what happens.  rex brings in players no just for their knowledge about the game but also how they can fire up the players around them.

not taking anything away from revis.  he played the position great but even the great ones need to be challenged within the team.