Look Back: How Good was Revis in 2009???

10 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

He dominated Ochocinco twice in the 2009 season in back to back games.

image.png.a4c30ee4e605a250e01325afde64117f.png

I lost all respect for Ochocinco after those two matchups, only because he wasn't a man of his word. 

After our week 17 game where Revis shut him down on 4 targets/0 catches/0 yards?

He promised the national Media if Revis were able to lock him down in the playoffs the following week?

That he'd change his name back to Chad Johnson. 

Playoffs vs Revis?

image.png.c30455fb2109ba462781348cdf49e679.png

6 targets/2 catches/28 yards/0 TDs/Loss. 

And he still never changed his name (liar). 

In 2009 he recorded 72 Receptions for 1,047 receiving yards and 9 TDs. 

However against the greatest coverage CB of All Time throughout 2 games he could only record 2 catches (10 targets) for only 28 yards and a whopping 0 TDs. 

image.png.77cfee7544b928dd3d791e2f7f7b695c.png

Physically manhandled and absolutely mind fkd by #24!

10 hours ago, Warfish said:

He's obviously the best DB in Jets History.

I would not say he is the best DB of all time.

I think when Revis was at his absolute best, he is better than everyone in the history of the game. However, he did not dominate for as long as I would have wanted him to call him the actual best of all time. 

10 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

You can’t ignore the constant contract disputes and holdouts when you evaluate Revis. Was he a great cover corner in 09? Yes. Was he a completely selfish player who cared much more about money than winning and the Jets? Yes. Revis always measured his career in dollars and not wins.  He was the most contract centric player I can remember.  Every. Single. Off-season. Revis Island is the perfect nickname for him as a player and a teammate. His holdouts hurt the team.  And I never saw one example of leadership or locker room presence from him. When the team started to resemble a circus in 2010, he was one of the ringleaders.  People  knock Namath, but he cares and he is still following and supporting the team. Where is Revis?  He doesn’t care. He’s counting his money in Pittsburgh with his uncle.

There are plenty of great players that were constantly in trouble. You cannot knock Revis for wanting what he deserved. 

On 6/4/2021 at 2:34 PM, Jet Nut said:

But read deeper, some Jets fans will tell you how that really wasnt true and Revis isnt as good as Jets fans make him out to be.  And list all those who were better

I've never seen a CB go from one side of the field to the other and shut down a teams #1 WR threat.  Ever.  Not Sanders, not anyone.  Add in the things Revis did that Sanders refused to do like match up against those #1s, like play the run and tackle. 

Namath, Curtis Martin, Revis, all our best players you can come here and pretty much read the same thing.   Jets fans overrate them.

Suspect it's because of how his 1st tenure ended (with the Pats) and how his 2nd tenure was awful. That should not diminish how great he was in his prime.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Jet2020 said:

If there’s one player I wished was loyal, selfless, and team first, it’s Revis. 

He became a mercernary, but he isn't the only one. And the cap does that to every NFL player who is not a primo QB. 

Revis was so great in 2009 (against big name WRs) that teams and QBs would'nt even look his way nor challenge him come 2010. 

2009: 31 passes defended (career high). 

2010: 10 passes defended. 

Opposing offenses quickly realized throughout 2009 that is was mentally and physically impossible to beat Revis one on one on the outside,

so therefore come 2010; Revis had them beat on Saturday before the games even started on Sunday (they wouldn't dare challenge him). 

2009 gets all the hype (and rightfully so). 

But 2010 was my favorite Revis year. Because that season he completely eliminated his side of the field (best season statistically) because no QBs would even look his way. 

1 hour ago, Jet2020 said:

I sat down every WR1 whenever they played against Revis in my fantasy league in those years, especially 2009. I think guys like AJ Green and Julio Jones I rested. 

Great strategy to have back in 09' but 2010 was the real year to sit your WRs; because 2010 (only 10 passes defended) QBs literally wouldn't even look his way (waste of time) after what he had done just the season before. 

image.thumb.png.9cbfdf0cdad97ffbee1995e085e71513.png

#24's 2007-2011 dominance was the greatest 5 year run for any CB of All-Time ( Regardless of era).  

That 2012 ACL injury stole and robbed pure greatness (I wanted to cry). 

Had Revis never tore his ACL in 2012? 

He would've never been traded to TB heading into 2013; he would've been paid long term by the Jets (and rightfully so)

On 6/4/2021 at 10:50 AM, Warfish said:

He was a very good, HOF worthy DB.  Let me say that up-front.

With that out of the way, I also continue to think that Revis benefitted from "superstar reputation" as much as his actual play.

It's far easier to give up low yards and few TD's when QB's and OCo's are terrified of throwing in your direction.

Between his great (at times) play, and his massive, hyped, reputation, as well as the Refs treating him to some degree under "Jordan Rules" when it came to PI, it was obvious that most O-Co's simply preferred to beat up on our other, much less good, DB's rather than even test Revis.

And there is a difference between being constantly tested and winning, and not being tested much at all.

As Revis got a little older, and O-Co's started testing him, his "elite Revis Island" rep was torn up, he was burned, alot, regularly, in those later years.

One wonders if he was tested alot more in those "elite" years if he'd still have been so elite.  Maybe he would, it was pre-injuries as well, which surely played a factor in his speedy decline in those later years.

Always an interesting topic.  

This just simply isn’t true. In 2009 Revis was targeted 108 times, fifth most in the league (most was 113). No corner in football was asked to do what Revis did that year, and QBs did the opposite of shy away from testing him. The Jets defensive game plan that season was basically dare the QB to throw in Revis’ direction, most QBs took the bait, and they ended up having the number 1 defense in football and particularly the number one passing defense in virtually every category by a significant margin. And that’s with Lito Shepherd as the number 2 CB.

Now you’re right in that teams did shy away from him in 2010 and 2011, but that was largely a result of the league realizing from 2009 that throwing at him was a fool’s errand.

44 minutes ago, jvill 51 said:

This just simply isn’t true. In 2009 Revis was targeted 108 times, fifth most in the league (most was 113). No corner in football was asked to do what Revis did that year, and QBs did the opposite of shy away from testing him. The Jets defensive game plan that season was basically dare the QB to throw in Revis’ direction, most QBs took the bait, and they ended up having the number 1 defense in football and particularly the number one passing defense in virtually every category by a significant margin. And that’s with Lito Shepherd as the number 2 CB.

Now you’re right in that teams did shy away from him in 2010 and 2011, but that was largely a result of the league realizing from 2009 that throwing at him was a fool’s errand.

Well said. 

My favorite Revis memory was (our 2009 revenge game against the Colts) @ Indy during our 2010 Playoffs run

(AFC Wildcard). 

#24 held #18's favorite ? in Reggie Wayne to only 1 catch for 1 yard?!?

2010 Reggie Wayne: 111 Receptions for 1,355 receiving yards and 6 TD Receptions. 

But yet?

Not even a HOF QB in Peyton Manning could free up Reggie Wayne.

And not only did Revis completely eliminate an All-Pro in Reggie Wayne (1 Catch/1 yard); but he completely mind fkd and confused Peyton Manning @ the same time.  

And because of that we won by the score of only 17-16 (and held Peyton Manning to only 1 TD thrown and 3 FG ending drives). 

image.thumb.png.e4d26e9aa5f5fa065e1c3a16ecbf9bd6.png

I couldn't care less if an ACL injury stole and robbed the greatest 5 year CB run of All-Time (2007-2011) because at the end of the day...

#24 was the greatest man to man one on one on the outside (and on an island) coverage CB of All-Time. 

#21 Primetime was my favorite PR/KR of All-Time and imo a top 5 CB of All-time as well but in regards to pure man to man coverage ability?

Sanders was no Darrelle Revis. 

Because no one, ever was. 

image.png

35 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I most definitely can. He was off the charts greedy and selfish. If every player though and acted like him, there would be no pro football.

And if every Jets player player like Revis of his prime? The Jets would go undefeated and never lose a game. 

Jets fans such as yourself would've rather had Revis been paid like Dwight Lowery; rather than a Top 5 CB of All-time. 

• Seven years, $150 million, Patrick Mahomes. 

• Six-year, $125 million, Aaron Donald. 

etc. Etc. 

Can I now call Mahomes and Donald "greedy" and 'selfish' for wanting to be paid #1? 

#24 had every right to hold out in order to be paid as the #1 and best CB (ever). 

If you don't want GREAT players to demand being paid?

Or hold something against them when they do?

Well then maybe you shouldn't follow sports anymore ?

Football is a business for these owners and players. 

Because guess what?

The very moment Revis tore his ACL he was shipped out of town come the offseason for DRAFT picks!

STRICTLY BUSINESS.

• Upvote 1

But only one player can be the highest paid at his position.  The analogy between Revis and Mahomes would be the Mahomes holds out next season because Josh Allen gets a contract that pays more per season than Mahomes' contract.  Because that is what Revis did. He was drafted in 2007 and ......immediately held out. He signed a 6 year/$36 million (47 page!) contract after missing a chunk of preseason.  Three years into the 6 year deal - 2010, Revis held out and missed most of training camp .  He signed a 4 year/$32 million deal making him the highest paid CB in the NFL.  So what happens next? He threatens to hold out in  2011 and 2012.  The Jets finally have enough of Mr All Holdout and trade his ass to Tampa.  He signs a (terrible - for him) 6 year $96 million deal with NO guaranteed money because, you know, fool me once, twice , three, four times..........After paying Mevi$ $16 million in 2013 in which your man essentially stunk, Tampa released him rather than overpay him again. So he signs a one year $12million deal with NE and get his ring with the Jets arch rivals. Then the Jets, in 2015, agree to one of the dumbest contracts in NFL history, agreeing to "bring Revis home" (along with his Pats SB ring) for a five year, $70 million deal with $39 million guaranteed. Revis plays the entire 2015 season 10-15 yards off the line of scrimmage because he is now fat and slow and getting burned repeatedly.  Revis is torched  by Sammie Watkins in the week 17 win and in lose and go game and the Jets lose and go home.  He steals money from the Jets for 2 more seasons before retiring in 2018 a very very rich man. 

Show me another - any other - NFL player (other than Terrel Owens - who was also a selfish team wrecker) with a contract record like that.  Five contracts total, including 4 from 2010 to 2015 - 6 seasons.  Players are lucky to get three in a career - rookie, one big veteran deal, and maybe if they are lucky, a third big deal. But 4 in 6 seasons?  This is a new contract every 1.5 seasons.  That is not somebody to emulate. That is not "getting what he deserved."  That is just greed.  Eventually, somebody is going to become the highest paid ______ (fill in the blank). A player can't demand to renegotiate every time another player ends up making more per season.  Jamal Adams held out - or threatened to hold out once. For Revis it was a summer time tradition.  

3 hours ago, jvill 51 said:

And then Peyton Manning figured out the whole Revis thing and let him take Wayne out of the game and instead went 3-4 wide and torched the rest of the defense in the second half of the AFC title game.  A CB can only cover one WR and Manning showed that you just let Revis stay on his island with  1 WR and throw to the other guys and move the ball.  

And then Peyton Manning figured out the whole Revis thing and let him take Wayne out of the game and instead went 3-4 wide and torched the rest of the defense in the second half of the AFC title game.  A CB can only cover one WR and Manning showed that you just let Revis stay on his island with  1 WR and throw to the other guys and move the ball.  

I’d have to go back and look at that game. But by memory. In that 2 Nd half Manning was like a surgeon and put the balls exactly where they needed to be against very good coverage. Was just dead on accurate

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

46 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Ok and what happened during the 2010 playoffs the following season? 

Revis completely eliminated Manning's All-Pro WR and blanked his #1 favorite weapon in Reggie Wayne; to only 1 catch for 1 yard. 

And because #18 couldn't utilize an awesome Reggie Wayne?

Indianapolis only managed 1 TD drive (3 FGs)

and lost 17-16. 

CBs who can completely eliminate great QBs #1 WR and #1 Offensive weapon is a BIG DEAL and something that should never be overlooked. 

13 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I most definitely can. He was off the charts greedy and selfish. If every player though and acted like him, there would be no pro football.

The second the owners put the cap in place, they created a situation where players had to look at for their own interests. Revis may be an extreme case, but hate the game, not that player. As a fan that sucks. Why do I have to care how much any team pays any player? What it says is that some owners either are too stupid to be trusted with the checkbooks(and with the Johnson, this may even be the case!) . But really, the NFL wants to keep labor costs artificially low. It's a very short career, and it makes it necessary for a smart player to max out his income. 

Simple fact is Revis was very smart. Didn't hurt having an uncle who had played also. He got paid, unlike many star players who got those BS Drew Rosenhaus nonguaranteed big ass fake contracts.  Some here are faulting a  guy for making money? Don't get that at all. 

12 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

He’s talking about the revenge game (2010 season playoffs played in 2011). 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/game/_/gameId/310108011

• Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, Jets0712 said:

I’d have to go back and look at that game. But by memory. In that 2 Nd half Manning was like a surgeon and put the balls exactly where they needed to be against very good coverage. Was just dead on accurate

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

You’re referring to the 2009 season playoff game. Jets were down to their 3rd and 4th string CB lining up opposite Revis. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Bugg said:

The second the owners put the cap in place, they created a situation where players had to look at for their own interests. Revis may be an extreme case, but hate the game, not that player. As a fan that sucks. Why do I have to care how much any team pays any player? What it says is that some owners either are too stupid to be trusted with the checkbooks(and with the Johnson, this may even be the case!) . But really, the NFL wants to keep labor costs artificially low. It's a very short career, and it makes it necessary for a smart player to max out his income. 

Simple fact is Revis was very smart. Didn't hurt having an uncle who had played also. He got paid, unlike many star players who got those BS Drew Rosenhaus nonguaranteed big ass fake contracts.  Some here are faulting a  guy for making money? Don't get that at all. 

The salary cap is what makes the NFL the most successful sports league. Every player is subject to the same.rules. When top players are making $10-40 million a year, nobody is being taken advantage of. The NFLPA negotiated a % of NFL revenues go to the players, so the pot is equitable. Revis may have been smart to earn $100 million or so, but he did it through greed and selfishness. Neither you nor anybody else will convince me otherwise.. And yes it’s a short career to play in the NFL, but a player’s ability to earn money doesn’t end when their NFL career  ends.   

7 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Look. I respect Revis’ talent and his 2009-10 seasons. I will never respect how he handled his contracts and  that irreparably tainted his career. It’s a team sport - the ultimate team sport and he wax purely a me guy. 

Joe Namath "quit" over a nightclub he owned, is that a better reason?  

You have to separate contract from player, Revis maximized his earnings. Yes it was frustrating at times but he was always ready to play.  He's the best player in franchise history, not the most important(we know who that is) but the best.  No career Jet ever dominated their position like Darrelle Revis and he's been gone for 5 years, can we appreciate him now please? We have fans that team is how great Ken O'Brien was after many years away can we please put the contract stuff aside and appreciate the greatness of Revis?

You have to separate contract from player, Revis maximized his earnings. Yes it was frustrating at times but he was always ready to play.  He's the best player in franchise history, not the most important(we know who that is) but the best.  No career Jet ever dominated their position like Darrelle Revis and he's been gone for 5 years, can we appreciate him now please? We have fans that team is how great Ken O'Brien was after many years away can we please put the contract stuff aside and appreciate the greatness of Revis?
Definitely in the conversation along with CMart and a few more.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

Namath retired for one month once and it was in the offseason. Revis had a contract dispute every season of his career. You knock Namath repeatedly and perpetually for years and he’s been gone for over years. It is impossible to separate Revis from his contract disputes, whether he’s been gone 5 years or 5 minutes. He was a great player for a few seasons. He was a sailfish greedy me over team player his entire career. This “ maximized his earnings” mantra is complete BS. I have no respect for a player that spent his entire career with one goal - to be the highest paid CB every season, even if he signed a contract one year before that made him so and another team decided to pay another CB more. He spent as much time worrying about how much the Raiders paid Asumugha as he did about the WRs he was covering, maybe more. I don’t know what Revis’ legacy is - his play or his greed. It was that bad.

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

Definitely in the conversation along with CMart and a few more.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Curtis might fit in the more important category but Revis was a better CB than Curtis a RB.

14 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Namath retired for one month once and it was in the offseason. Revis had a contract dispute every season of his career. You knock Namath repeatedly and perpetually for years and he’s been gone for over years. It is impossible to separate Revis from his contract disputes, whether he’s been gone 5 years or 5 minutes. He was a great player for a few seasons. He was a sailfish greedy me over team player his entire career. This “ maximized his earnings” mantra is complete BS. I have no respect for a player that spent his entire career with one goal - to be the highest paid CB every season, even if he signed a contract one year before that made him so and another team decided to pay another CB more. He spent as much time worrying about how much the Raiders paid Asumugha as he did about the WRs he was covering, maybe more. I don’t know what Revis’ legacy is - his play or his greed. It was that bad.

He prioritized his off friend activity over the team and while he unretired soon after he did miss part of training camp.

My point is not too back Namath bit that was worse to me than any Revis contract dispute.  Revis' issues were about football, Joe's issue was not.

He was the best defensive player in football for a few years, he wanted to maximize his earnings.  It didn't affect his play on the field.  We all say in hard knocks how the team and management viewed him when he signed.    

9 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Look. I respect Revis’ talent and his 2009-10 seasons. I will never respect how he handled his contracts and  that irreparably tainted his career. It’s a team sport - the ultimate team sport and he wax purely a me guy. 

Not too mention 2009 was a long time ago. The Jets didn’t win anything. Time to move on.

On 6/4/2021 at 9:32 AM, Joe W. Namath said:

Correct.  Had a few elite seasons, a few good seasons and a few bad seasons.

Very overrated by Jet fans.  

You have this ass backwards.

He was the single best player the Jets ever drafted and it's not close.  Joe Namath, who I loved had a few good seasons a few bad ones and is mostly under rated by Jets fans.