Becton Has Foot Issue

KRL

Gravity, the great equalizer.

A physical freak compared to your peers in a position where practically everyone in the NFL is a physical freak to begin with was always going to be the big risk with Becton.  At some point the human body does not permit this level of physical performance or if it does then it only permits it for a short time.  Look at mobile big men in the NBA and what happens to their ankles, knees and eventually hips.  Usually quickly.

Is it possible that we lucked into the exception which proves the rule?  Sure it is possible.  Anything is possible but this is the worst possible start to a career if the yellow brick road around the corner for Becton was going to be long and sunny the whole way.

For the people still hanging onto the lottery ticket let me save you some time and summarize the likely path this argument will take on these boards.

It is too early to make that judgement, you must be a self-hating SOJF

It is too early to make that judgement, people have won with lottery tickets in the past

It is too early to say that, he just needs to be in the same coaching system for more than one year

Haven't we beaten this topic to death already?

Gravity, the great equalizer.
A physical freak compared to your peers in a position where practically everyone in the NFL is a physical freak to begin with was always going to be the big risk with Becton.  At some point the human body does not permit this level of physical performance or if it does then it only permits it for a short time.  Look at mobile big men in the NBA and what happens to their ankles, knees and eventually hips.  Usually quickly.
Is it possible that we lucked into the exception which proves the rule?  Sure it is possible.  Anything is possible but this is the worst possible start to a career if the yellow brick road around the corner for Becton was going to be long and sunny the whole way.
For the people still hanging onto the lottery ticket let me save you some time and summarize the likely path this argument will take on these boards.
It is too early to make that judgement, you must be a self-hating SOJF
It is too early to make that judgement, people have won with lottery tickets in the past
It is too early to say that, he just needs to be in the same coaching system for more than one year
Haven't we beaten this topic to death already?

I think we are just anxious.... guy has tremendous untapped potential .... and I think most of us are seeing the 50/50 possibilty here and hoping for the best while acknowledging the very real negative possibilites.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

I recall reading the below article about Mekhi focusing on his diet and eating habits. Unless he’s totally reverted back to bad habits, I’m giving the kid the benefit of the doubt and saying he’s not sitting around eating big mac’s all day:

https://www.nj.com/jets/2020/04/how-jets-mekhi-becton-transformed-his-overweight-body-in-16-months-and-why-6000-calories-a-day-is-now-part-of-his-plan-to-dominate-the-nfl.html

On 6/6/2021 at 1:46 AM, Jet Nut said:

Says who?  Who says at 337 lbs he wouldnt have the same injury?  Anyone saying this anywhere other than fans on a Jet board?

Losing 100 lbs would be beneficial too but hes not doing it.  We have 330 lbs all over the roster, none at 6' 7", thats why he weighs what he weighs, hes a mountain of a man.  

The idea from some, not saying you, that its because hes lazy is ridiculous.

Anyone who watched the draft and saw his family knows this kid has a serious eating disorder.  Orlando Pace was 6'7" and an absolute mountain of a man and he played at 325.  Wilfork who was huge played between 325 and 340.  No doubt he got bigger later in his career and it didn't help him.   Becton is 6'7" and probably should be playing between 330 and 340 lbs.  He's got the quickness and the long body to do it.  He doesn't have to be a fat slob at risk in order to handle quick, agile edge rushers.  He's got length, quickness and technique.  

He's not lazy.  He lived his life in a household where having a eating disorder was baked into the cake.  The guy is an amazing athlete and his morbidly overweight.  It's a dissaster for his health, conditioning and his survivability as both a player and a living human being.  

He's college coach had to baby sit him to get him below 370 at under 20 years old.  He was over 385 in college before his coach basically baby sat him down to 368.  

D'Brick who was 6'6" who they lied about at 310 was a real good LT for years playing around 300 lbs.  Powell, arguably the 2nd best tackle to every play for the Jets played under 270 at 6'5".  He looked like a big TE and was a great tackle. 

There is nothing enherently good about being morbidly overweight that helps him play LT at a high level. 

• Upvote 4

our gm picked this guy and hired the staff-the gm and the staff best make sure the guy is in the best shape possible-a number one pick should not be fat and lazy and out of shape and if that is tolerated I blame not just the player but the guy that picked him

we were told Mims and Becton were studs ... time to see it on the field

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, kmnj said:

our gm picked this guy and hired the staff-the gm and the staff best make sure the guy is in the best shape possible-a number one pick should not be fat and lazy and out of shape and if that is tolerated I blame not just the player but the guy that picked him

we were told Mims and Becton were studs ... time to see it on the field

Besides trading away our 2 best players, going from a 7 win team to a 2 win team, firing the entire coaching staff, and gifting the New York Giants an All Pro, can you name a single thing Joe Douglas has done to help this team?  

If we open 0-4 the planes will be flying and the billboards will be rising.  This fanbase has no patience for that type of failure.

SAR I

15 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Besides trading away our 2 best players, going from a 7 win team to a 2 win team, firing the entire coaching staff, and gifting the New York Giants an All Pro, can you name a single thing Joe Douglas has done to help this team?  

If we open 0-4 the planes will be flying and the billboards will be rising.  This fanbase has no patience for that type of failure.

SAR I

You've become a whiney little squirrel. 

Besides trading away our 2 best players : Trading Adams was brilliant.  Adams sucks.  Leo is also a JAG.  Good job there as well.  LOL @ thinking he's special just because he played hard in a contract year.  So did Mo Wilkerson if you recall.  Much ado about nothing. Pitiful argument right there.

going from a 7 win team to a 2 win team: Adam Gase. 100%.  Don't even try to dispute it.

firing the entire coaching staff,:  New HC gets to pick his own staff.  Unlike the Jets of the past (except for Rex's staff), Woody had control on coaching staff, which has been t a really bad thing since Rex was fired.  The most recent firing of what was clearly the most horrific coaching staff in the NFL should put Joe Douglas in Canton, AFAIC.

This schtick is even sillier than your last.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

26 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

I am not a joe d fanboy for sure

his drafts have not been good based on actual production-mims and becton are guys folks point to as big hits but so far on the field they are not.

the roster got much worse on his watch 

now I will give joe credit-I think he hired a good coach

in the end Joe D will be judged on the type of QB wilson is-Joe  decided to let Sam go and bring in the new franchise qb

If Wislon becomes a stud-Joe will be around for a while if he sucks Joe D is toast in 2-3 years

• Upvote 2

On 6/6/2021 at 10:34 AM, Jet Nut said:

Which proves what, that you see an injury to a really big man and see weight loss as a cure?  There have been big OL who had relatively few injuries and smaller/lighter OL who injury riddled careers

Standard Measurements View Metric Measurements
spacer.gif
Your Height: 
  (feet) (inches)
spacer.gif
Your Weight:    
  (pounds)
Your BMI:
spacer.gif

BMI Categories:
Underweight = <18.5
Normal weight = 18.5–24.9
Overweight = 25–29.9
Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater

What Next? Take Action Towards Better Health:

Maintain a Healthy Weight

Increase Physical Activity

• Moving more can lower your risk factors for heart disease.

Eat a Heart-Healthy Diet

• Eating a healthy diet is the key to heart disease prevention.

Know and Control Your Heart Health Numbers

• Tracking your heart health stats can help you meet your heart health goals.

Download the BMI calculator app today (available for iPhoneexternal disclaimer and Androidexternal disclaimer)

Becton's BMI is 39.9 , he needs to dial it back

16 minutes ago, kmnj said:

I am not a joe d fanboy for sure

his drafts have not been good based on actual production-mims and becton are guys folks point to as big hits but so far on the field they are not.

Drafts?  Plural?  2019 is his only draft that can be looked at as far as production, and it's a one-season sample, and an unusual one at that because there was no sustainable training camp or pre season due to Covid plus the Adam Gase non-coaching, non-development staff, and, as always, the borderline quackery for a medical staff that the Jets have always had no matter who is in charge.   

41 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Trading Adams was brilliant.  Adams sucks.  Leo is also a JAG.  Good job there as well.  LOL @ thinking he's special just because he played hard in a contract year.  So did Mo Wilkerson if you recall.  Much ado about nothing. Pitiful argument right there.

Like I asked, what else besides trading away Adams and Williams has Joe Douglas accomplished.  Answer please.  

42 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Adam Gase. 100%.  Don't even try to dispute it.

Who?  The entire league knew the Jets had the worst roster in the NFL.  The HC did not put that awful group on the field.  Joe Douglas did.  

43 minutes ago, Dcat said:

New HC gets to pick his own staff. 

So far, the only thing the HC has done to inspire confidence is create a slogan and repeat it every time a camera is in his face.  "All gas no brakes" is not coaching.  It's marketing.  

Joe Douglas may have had a good second draft and may have picked a good coaching staff.  We all hope for this.  But as we sit here today, there are red flags everywhere.  

Looking forward to 8 wins.  Because if the worst coach in the history of the NFL could win 7, Douglas and Saleh surely better win 8.

SAR I

23 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

spacer.gif
Your Height:     
  (feet) (inches)
spacer.gif
Your Weight:      
  (pounds)

Your BMI:
spacer.gif

BMI Categories:
Underweight = <18.5
Overweight = 25–29.9

Eat a Heart-Healthy Diet

Download the BMI calculator app today (available for iPhoneexternal disclaimer and Androidexternal disclaimer)

Do you think Orlando Brown should "dial it back"? You should know that just about every OL is likely "obese" per BMI. 

hi-res-499697078c1a15f8b7c26a6c43cfde76_

What has Joe Douglas done in his 2 years+ as a Jets GM?

• He improved the offensive line from the sieve when Mac and Idzik were here to an average OL centered around with AVT & Becton. 
  • An improved WR corp with Moore, Cole, Davis and Mims where Crowder is no longer the featured receiver
  • Signed an Edge Rusher in Carl Lawson
  • Hired an offensive coach that will install an offensive scheme that is more QB friendly and will benefit our young QB
  • Drafted playmakers
  • Basically built around his young QB
  • And an added bonus, Joe got Manish Mehta fired

I have no idea how many wins they will have this year in the 2nd year of this rebuild but I fully expect the offense to be better in all phases of the game

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Do you think Orlando Brown should "dial it back"? You should know that just about every OL is likely "obese" per BMI. 

hi-res-499697078c1a15f8b7c26a6c43cfde76_

He's skinny compared to Becton.  He's taller and weighed almost 25 pounds less at his combine.  FYI his father died at age 41 from diabetic Ketoacidosis.  

Under the headline you can't make this up.  His father opened the first Fatburger franchise.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Biggs said:

He's skinny compared to Becton.  He's taller and weighed almost 25 pounds less at his combine.  FYI his father died at age 41 from diabetic Ketoacidosis.  

Under the headline you can't make this up.  His father opened the first Fatburger franchise.

How about, another Brown....

image.thumb.png.aa734c72ab81368585718f12e84c15d8.png

Trent Brown. 

6'8/380 lbs. 

2019 Pro Bowler and N.E's current starting RT. 

image.png.f40bd25d8337ee094a2ff6f4c52f334b.png

(PS: Mekhi Becton ran a much faster 40x than Trent Brown did). 

2 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

spacer.gif
Your Height:     
  (feet) (inches)
spacer.gif
Your Weight:      
  (pounds)

Your BMI:
spacer.gif

BMI Categories:
Underweight = <18.5
Overweight = 25–29.9

Eat a Heart-Healthy Diet

I agree, if he were a normal person this would be an eye opener.  

But hes a football player, an OL.  If he were 330 he still would have a BMI that would make him classified overweight.  The BMIs for all the lineman are out there

From the NJ.com article it appeared that Becton wanted to succeed and did well under the constant supervision that the Louisville staff provided.  

If Becton is out of shape now, I would like that the Jets' staff is at least partially responsible.  

My guess is that he is on a another crash course to get his weight down and get him in shape for camp.  He has 7 weeks.  He will be 15-20 pounds lighter than where he is now before camp starts.  Hopefully he does not get hurt.  

16 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Trent Brown. 

6'8/380 lbs. 

The guy played 5 games last year.  He's had 2 16 game seasons in 6 years.  He's a super talented bum who's more interested in eating at buffets than being great.   Zero All pro's and has missed a ton of games.

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Getting back an insane haul for our besets player.  Unloading a ton of dead cap money.  Unloading a failed coaching staff that was going nowhere.  Refurbishing our entire draft department.  Getting the No. 1 HC candidate to take the job at a team that is notoriously undesirable to come to.    Getting our QB of the future.  Unloading our bust of the past for draft capital.  The Jets today are actually being talked about positively across the league.  The team is relevant for the firstt time in years.

Nobody is flying planes or raising billboards.   Jets parking lots are going to be full of rented BMW's for the priveledge of seeing the Joe Douglas constructed JETS.  

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

2 years ago today we hired Joe Douglas.  Will go down as the most important day in Jets history when its all said and done.

I agree.

And outside of QB Zach Wilson...

He's already drafted us two first round O-Lineman (Becton/Vera-Tucker) and another two 2nd round WRs (Mims/Elijah). 

WR/O-Line are two OFFENSIVE POSITIONS which unfortunately have been ignored throughout the previous damn near 15 years. 

Dating back to 2007...

2nd round: Vlad (2010). O-Line.

2nd round: Stephen Hill (2012). WR. 

2nd round: Devin Smith (2015). WR.

And that's it.

Those were the only 3 WR's/O-Lineman drafted within the first 2 rounds (dating back to 2007). 

But yet during only his first 2 drafts?

Joe Douglas has already attacked O-Line and WR during back to back drafts with 4 players within the first 2 rounds (Mekhi Becton (LT), Denzel Mims (WR), Vera-Tucker (LG) and Elijah Moore (WR);

Breath of fresh air. 

Heck. JD just used his first 4 picks on OFFENSE which is something this Jets Franchise has refused to do dating back to damn near 40 years ago of 1983... 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I've never once noticed a skinny offensive lineman while watching on TV.

Can anyone list me a top 5-10 list of the skinniest NFL O-Lineman within today's game? 

Because I can't. 

You must have missed D'Brick and Powell.  Almost none of the top guys in the NFL were drafted who weighed over 320.

2 minutes ago, Biggs said:

You must have missed D'Brick and Powell.  Almost none of the top guys in the NFL were drafted who weighed over 320.

Brick was 310 lbs. 

Since when is a man 300+ pounds considered normal?

image.png.9026636f1af2849cda57bcb32132f90f.png

I'd hate to see him with his shirt off. You can even see his flabby man boobs and his jelly rolls through his jersey...

With all that said. My favorite LT of All-Time. Never missed a single snap let alone game; he was a rare one.

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

I was only responding to a post that made a big deal about Becton being clinically obese. My point was that all these offensive lineman are technically obese, not that Becton couldn't afford to lose a few pounds. 

37 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Can anyone list me a top 5-10 list of the skinniest NFL O-Lineman within today's game? 

Because I can't. 

Dbrick never missed a snap. Wasn’t fat.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Trent Brown. 

6'8/380 lbs. 

Hope he has secured an appropriately-sized burial plot.   I think modern logging restrictions, as well as forestry conservation mandates/laws, preclude him having a Viking funeral with pyre.

I'm not doubting Becton's play and that's why I want him to be able to control his weight.  I want him playing.  My last post was deleted and rightly so, but he did have weight issues in College too.

https://www.nj.com/jets/2020/04/how-jets-mekhi-becton-transformed-his-overweight-body-in-16-months-and-why-6000-calories-a-day-is-now-part-of-his-plan-to-dominate-the-nfl.html

Becton, a prodigious, 6-foot-7 offensive tackle who had let his weight balloon to 389 pounds by the time Sirignano started working with him in January of 2019,

Summers had initially pushed Becton to play at 350 pounds, but realized he could still move swiftly in the mid-360s. But 389? No chance. 

1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Because I can't. 

Went on the hunt to find the smallest NFL OT. I present to you Charles Leno Jr

6’3” 306 lbs

He’s small in the NFL world. In the real world, not many people have met guys his size.

• Haha 1