Jamison Crowder - Not @ OTA's due to "contract" per Saleh

Saleh just said in his press conference that Crowder was missing because he was working through his contract with JD and his agent but that he expects him back and that he "has a role on this team". Connor Hughes said he doesn't have any guaranteed money left on his contract so maybe that's the issue? Or JD is asking him to take a pay cut since we have Moore or is Crowder asking for out? 

Will be interesting to see how this plays out moving forward. 

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

Saleh just said in his press conference that Crowder was missing because he was working through his contract with JD and his agent but that he expects him back and that he "has a role on this team". Connor Hughes said he doesn't have any guaranteed money left on his contract so maybe that's the issue? Or JD is asking him to take a pay cut since we have Moore or is Crowder asking for out? 

Will be interesting to see how this plays out moving forward. 

It would be nice to keep him but if it comes down to it, sign Moses and release/trade Crowder. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

31 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I am assuming the only 2 things they could be talking about is:

- taking a paycut

-restructuring his salary down but adding a year or 2 onto the contract

What other option could they be talking about?

It's possible there is an Option 3- If you don't like 1 or 2, you can get cut. 

I want him to stick around. I definitely prefer to be in a world where we finally have too many good WRs. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Why would crowder take a pay cut?  And then he is not going to get as much PT as last year so his numbers will be down.  Thats not a good scenario when you are a free agent.

Unfortunately, Im now leaning towards crowder will not be with the team this year.

I'm guessing because he is set to earn 11 million this year and if he is cut he wouldn't get anything near that. Especially given what other FA WRs were getting during free agency. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I'm guessing because he is set to earn 11 million this year and if he is cut he wouldn't get anything near that. Especially given what other FA WRs were getting during free agency. 

Well hes not getting 11 from us as we are asking him to take a paycut.  

Lets say we offer him 7?  Why not just asked to be cut and then get a 3 year deal for 6 mil a year from another team?

It does not benefit crowder at all to take a pay cut with us unless we are offering more years.

2 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Lets say we offer him 7?  Why not just asked to be cut and then get a 3 year deal for 6 mil a year from another team?

It does not benefit crowder at all to take a pay cut with us unless we are offering more years.

If we offer him 7 guaranteed that may be better than 3 years 6 mil a year if the other team is only going to guarantee year 1. 

And the Jets can also make that same 3 year 6 mil a year offer (depending on the guaranteed money). 

They are probably negotiating terms relatively similar to this and Crowder will have to decide if he can do better than what JD is prepared to offer. 

23 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If we offer him 7 guaranteed that may be better than 3 years 6 mil a year if the other team is only going to guarantee year 1. 

And the Jets can also make that same 3 year 6 mil a year offer (depending on the guaranteed money). 

They are probably negotiating terms relatively similar to this and Crowder will have to decide if he can do better than what JD is prepared to offer. 

I just dont see the Jets negotiating a multi year deal.  moore is the slot guy moving forward.

I thought Crowder for one more year would be a good idea to help moore, but it sounds like moore doesnt need help.  he is killing it in OTAs.

Jets just might be ready to cut bait now unless crowder will play for peanuts.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I am assuming the only 2 things they could be talking about is:

- taking a paycut

-restructuring his salary down but adding a year or 2 onto the contract

What other option could they be talking about?

Decrease his base salary but guarantee it. So instead of $11 million with no guaranteed money it decreases to $5-$6 million fully guaranteed.  Saves cap space for a guy like Morgan Moses and gives Crowder some financial stability. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I just dont see the Jets negotiating a multi year deal.  moore is the slot guy moving forward.

I thought Crowder for one more year would be a good idea to help moore, but it sounds like moore doesnt need help.  he is killing it in OTAs.

Jets just might be ready to cut bait now unless crowder will play for peanuts.

I think Moore is going to be used a lot more outside. I have a feeling Mims is going to be behind Davis, Cole behind Moore with Crowder in the slot.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Nobody is getting a multi year deal this close to the season. $7 million guaranteed would be more money than anybody would pay him if he's released. 

• Upvote 1

With a sh*t ton of salary cap to start the off season, the Jets GM wants their best skill player to take a pay cut? Seriously? Then we act like we are a cursed franchise. We signed him to a contract Crowder played according to. Now this cheap tactic. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3

2 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Just pay the guy his salary.. what do we need more cap space this year for anyway? The roster is set 

Robert Saleh on Morgan Moses: “He’s obviously a fantastic player” … “We’re not going to shy away from adding good football players” Says specifics on where #Jets will go with that should be directed towards Joe Douglas, who will not speak today

With Becton having a hard time putting down the cheese burgers this might be a very good idea.  
  • Thumb Down 2

44 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Decrease his base salary but guarantee it. So instead of $11 million with no guaranteed money it decreases to $5-$6 million fully guaranteed.  Saves cap space for a guy like Morgan Moses and gives Crowder some financial stability. 

It also, IMHO, makes him more tradable, as much as I want to see him stay. Another club might be more willing to give up an asset if they have an assurance that the guy can't walk at the end of the contract, and that his cap hit is reasonable and fixed for however many years. It also might be a reason why Crowder is willing to negotiate - he'd prefer to stay but get some guaranteed cash.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

This will be a terrible move if he’s not back. WRs generally do not breakout year one with a good veteran QB let alone a rookie.

Pay the man there is a ton of cap room. This is a penny wise pound foolish move. Keep the solid veteran who plays and plays hard to show the young QB and WRs how to prepare.

Also where are the posters with the “they signed the contract pay him” as you have with the hold outs.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Bungaman said:

It also, IMHO, makes him more tradable, as much as I want to see him stay. Another club might be more willing to give up an asset if they have an assurance that the guy can't walk at the end of the contract, and that his cap hit is reasonable and fixed for however many years. It also might be a reason why Crowder is willing to negotiate - he'd prefer to stay but get some guaranteed cash.

In this scenario he would be under a 1 yr deal still just fully guaranteed. Mostly in a bonus I would assume. That would make him not tradeable bc the Jets aren't going to hand him a few million in a bonus just to trade him.

If they do trade him it will be on his existing contract and it would make zero sense for Crowder to pass up an opportunity for FA unless he gets blown away by an extension offer. He will get way more money in FA next year then accepting a low ball extension offer now. It's either he takes less salary but more guaranteed money this year or he gets traded in his existing contract and maybe the Jets eat a few million to get a better pick back. Those are the only two options. I doubt they will release him. 

• Upvote 1

Jamison Crowder not returning would become an early 2021 disaster. 

In only two years as a JET he's recorded 137 receptions (73 being of 1st down receptions) for 1,532 receiving yards and 12 TD receptions. 

Here's the catch 22: 

He's put up these types of numbers alongside of a...

• Nightmare HC in Adam Gase (FIRED).

While surrounded by...

• Absolute crap @ QB in Sam Darnold (dead last rated QB) and Joe Flacco (absolutely washed up).

While having to play alongside of..

• A plexiglass Quincy Enunwa (only played 1 game during 2019), an absolutely washed up Demaryius Thomas, a former 1st round bust WR in Perriman (dreadful) and a bunch of no name WR scrubs in Josh Bellamy (Undrafted), Lawrence Cager (Undrafted), Josh Malone (4th round trash), Vyncint Smith (Undrafted), Jeff Smith (Undrafted), Chris Hogan (Undrafted x5)), Braxton Berrios (6th round JAG) and a Rookie in Denzel Mims (who battled an injured hamstring injury and didn't see the field until week 7). 

And to make it worse with insult to injury...

• An absolutely washed up and freaking trash 40 year old Dinosaur RB in Frank Gore who opposing secondaries didn't have to fear coming out of the backfield and should've never played a single down of Football for the Jets (187 carries, too many). 

But yet despite being within the worst possible scenario for an NFL WR this kid still was able to record 137 receptions for 1,532 receiving yards and 12 TD's throughout his only two seasons as a JET? 

But yet we're seeing Jet fans want to run Jamison Crowder out of town @ only 27 years of age? 

Unbelievable! 

I'd love to see Jamison Crowder surrounded by the likes of a promising QB prospect in Zach Wilson, an explosive receiver in Elijah Moore, another explosive WR in Denzel Mims (100% healthy), an awesome WR in Corey Davis along with an electric dual-threat RB in Michael Carter etc;

And Jamison Crowder then becomes physically impossible to contain on Sundays because can't no Nickel Back or freaking Dime Back (when 4 wide) guard this man. 

Zach Wilson needs weapons as a Rookie and to completely remove one of them during the offseason would become an F- blunder by Joe Douglas. 

Jamison Crowder within a Mike LaFleur led offensive attack, while surrounded by real offensive weapons; is a Defensive nightmare. 

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, Jet2020 said:

With a sh*t ton of salary cap to start the off season, the Jets GM wants their best skill player to take a pay cut? Seriously? Then we act like we are a cursed franchise. We signed him to a contract Crowder played according to. Now this cheap tactic. 

Douglas didn't sign him to that contract.  No one would have paid Crowder anything really close to what Mike Maccagnan did.  It's smart business to try to create a little extra cap space here. 

If they can do something similar with what they did with Alex Lewis, it'll be a win-win for both sides.  Crowder would get job security and still have a stronger salary than he'd get on the open market, while the Jets would save some cap space.

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, Jet2020 said:

If we are lowering his cap hit but adding some guaranteed money and a year to his contract in order to bring in Moses than I am fine with the tactic, actually I like it....  However, If we are just trying to cut his pay because we feel like we can than I do not like it at all.... Crowder had been one of the only professionals in the room and a good soldier from day one.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Douglas didn't sign him to that contract.  No one would have paid Crowder anything really close to what Mike Maccagnan did.  It's smart business to try to create a little extra cap space here. 

If they can do something similar with what they did with Alex Lewis, it'll be a win-win for both sides.  Crowder would get job security and still have a stronger salary than he'd get on the open market, while the Jets would save some cap space.

If this is how it goes down I like it...

If it's a play for Moses I really like it.

I just like Crowder and think he adds stability the the room so I don't want to **** him over.

Bring in Moses and we have revolutionized the line in one off-season.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

If we are lowering his cap hit but adding some guaranteed money and a year to his contract in order to bring in Moses than I am fine with the tactic, actually I like it....  However, If we are just trying to cut his pay because we feel like we can than I do not like it at all.... Crowder had been one of the only professionals in the room and a good soldier from day one.

5 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

If this is how it goes down I like it...

If it's a play for Moses I really like it.

I just like Crowder and think he adds stability the the room so I don't want to **** him over.

Bring in Moses and we have revolutionized the line in one off-season.

No chance in my mind that Douglas outright cuts Crowder unless negotiations go terribly.

This will end up a win-win for both sides.  I'm confident of that.  

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Just trade him and be done with him. We’re rebuilding and I’d rather see one of them young kids get the reps.

I’m not trading Crowder unless it turns into a real issue.

Corey Davis has a rep for getting banged up and Mims missed roughly half of last season.

Wilson could suddenly have Keelan Cole, a rookie Elijah Moore and Braxton Berrios (or worse) as his starting receivers if things go sour with injuries similar to last year.

And I don’t want to see that sh*t again, especially as we’re in the process of breaking in a very promising rookie QB.

Unless Crowder makes a major stink, then keep him around for Wilson’s rookie campaign then let him walk next year while receiving a potential mid-round comp pick in return.

• Upvote 3

The reason why I want to keep Crowder this year is because next year we'll have two 1st round picks and two 2nd round picks in order to replace Jamison Crowder. 

Right now we can not replace Jamison. Too late in Free Agency; because he is already a top 1-3 NFL slot receiver and with an awesome QB he's be unstoppable. 

He's the perfect slot to mentor a humble Elijah kid. 

Zach needs weapons as a Rookie. And Crowder is an awesome Veteran WR @ only 27 years of age.

It would be a disservice to Zach Wilson to remove Jamison from this awesome WR unit. Kind of like removing Robby from Sam (injuries happen). 

Many of us said Crowder was gone the second we drafted Moore. You simply don't keep 10m backup slot receivers with injury problems. 

Btw is excellent to see a GM that uses leverage correctly. Crowder will either get the Alex Lewis or Brian Winters treatment unless he's traded. Love Douglas

• Upvote 3

I think he earned his salary this year by being the only Jet who didn't seem to get the tank memo last season. I say pay him if they're bickering over money and I'm not the sentimental type with this. I wouldn't extend him, cut him or fight over salary. Who better for Elijah Moore to learn from for a year?

That said if you're going to dick around on reducing his salary this year, cut him and let him go get a 3 year deal someplace else. He was basically the last trooper during Gase's final season. I respected him more than anyone else on the team last year