Chris Simms' Top 40 Quarterbacks: No. 27 Zach Wilson

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And those that can't commentate post on message boards, so.....

Chris Simms 

@joewilly12 and @Defense Wins Championships   I agree it is hard to project how a QB will perform his first year BUT if I had to pick 1 person and ride with their predictions on the QB posit

Posted Images

Pretty cool how people are starting to mention his arm talent alongside Mahomes and Rodgers etc

But I don't like when these guys start including rookie QBs within these types of rankings.

Not when these kids haven't even been given a fair opportunity to have been able to prove themselves yet... 

Serious question JN. 

I wonder where Justin Herbert was ranked heading into 2020 by Chris Sims last year?

Because he finished with the NFL's 12th highest QB Rating (98.3) while Joe Burrow the golden boy finished 24th (89.8). 

Because I guarantee Phil didn't predict damn near anything close to top 10 play from Herbert last year. 

One last question JN. 

Where was Josh Allen ranked for Phil Sims?

Did he predict him anywhere near #3 in QB wins (13), #4 in QB completion percentage (69.2%), #4 in completions thrown, #5 in passing yards, #5 in Passing TDs (1 behind Patrick Mahomes) and/or #4 in QB Rating?

I'm curious. I'd like to know. 

• Confused 1
1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Chris Simms :rl:

That guy on the left. Whoever he is. Sounded like an absolute clown while trying to speak about the Jets Offense. .

I started to laugh 🤣 when I realized he needed his little laptop to talk Jets Football😂 skipped right over Vera-Tucker and Elijah Moore @ first glance but mentioned Michael Carter. 

They both sounded like 🤡 when going over our schedules. 

No mention of our new OC when talking Jets offense. 

These guys are horrible. I miss the football shows the throwback old-school shows of the 90s. Before the internet gave everyone a platform. 

I used to live for both NFL PRIMETIME with Chris Berman (SO MUCH FUN) and also Inside the NFL (man did they really BREAK DOWN SCHEDULES) as a kid throughout the 90s

I remember from age 5 (1990) on my mom always got me and my older brother subscriptions to both Sports Illustrated for kids and the real Sports Illustrated. I remember reading. Reading. Reading. Schedules. Each division breakdown of every team. Draft picks and free agents. My favorite was final record predictions with paragraphs on each team. 

image.png.62286f80c35de327c5c049ee43c43614.png

That was 1 of them. I had hundred's of them saved. 10 years old. 1995. 5th grade. S. Ozone. PS 100 Glen Morris. 118th st. the same exact block my family grew up on. Damn. Those were some awesome Queens memories. What I would do to still have that collection to read with my now 10 yo daughter I have no idea where they went. 

JN is fun to talk Jets Football. Feels like I'm still in Queens. These shows today are watered down. 

Anyone know of your top 5 Football shows any good one's still? 

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

These guys are horrible. I miss the football shows the throwback old-school shows of the 90s. Before the internet gave everyone a platform. 

That statement alone destroyed ANY reasoning to your comment. 😉

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
5 hours ago, DepressedJetsFan23 said:

I know they have to grade these guys, but how can he tlaw, fields, etc. be above anyone at this point 

PFF has Kyle Pitts at #4 TE. It's a joke. 

• Upvote 2
5 hours ago, Larz said:

68216C4A-59EB-43B4-9D67-B01766462FF9.png

wait, how can this be?

i was told by sam fans that a QB cannot succeed without the best WRs

Smith...Berrios....Ty Johnson. arent these the same crappy weapons sam had? the reason sam sucked?

LMFAO

• Thumb Down 2
  • Confused 3
9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Darnold:  QB # 36 last season. 

If Wilson is # 27 this season, I wouldn't exactly be thrilled, but I'd take it!

1 hour ago, doitny said:

wait, how can this be?

Smith...Berrios....Ty Johnson. arent these the same crappy weapons sam had? the reason sam sucked?

LMFAO

Umm, it’s early June 

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Pretty cool how people are starting to mention his arm talent alongside Mahomes and Rodgers etc

But I don't like when these guys start including rookie QBs within these types of rankings.

Not when these kids haven't even been given a fair opportunity to have been able to prove themselves yet... 

Serious question JN. 

I wonder where Justin Herbert was ranked heading into 2020 by Chris Sims last year?

Because he finished with the NFL's 12th highest QB Rating (98.3) while Joe Burrow the golden boy finished 24th (89.8). 

Because I guarantee Phil didn't predict damn near anything close to top 10 play from Herbert last year. 

One last question JN. 

Where was Josh Allen ranked for Phil Sims?

Did he predict him anywhere near #3 in QB wins (13), #4 in QB completion percentage (69.2%), #4 in completions thrown, #5 in passing yards, #5 in Passing TDs (1 behind Patrick Mahomes) and/or #4 in QB Rating?

I'm curious. I'd like to know. 

I know he had Herbert higher than Tua

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, jetsons said:

That statement alone destroyed ANY reasoning to your comment. 😉

I don't know. The first time I ever touched an old Mac computer was back in 1999. My Freshman year of H.S and first year in Florida. I didn't know what I was doing and couldn't even type 5 words per minute without looking. And then it all began for me as a typer. 

• Confused 1
3 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

@joewilly12 and @Defense Wins Championships

I agree it is hard to project how a QB will perform his first year BUT if I had to pick 1 person and ride with their predictions on the QB position it would be Simms.  I know it sounds crazy but if you look at his last few years of predictions, it is pretty scary how he ranked the QBs coming out of college and how they have performed in the pros.  I cant recall anyone who has been that close to perfect since I started following the draft closely(been a few decades).

And I will say this, you can tell these guys are a little uncomfortable projecting how these kids will do this year but they are the experts and they are giving their best thoughts and reasoning behind their thoughts.

Rookie qb rookie hc new wrs new offense new OC.  Safe prediction.  

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

I agree it is hard to project how a QB will perform his first year BUT if I had to pick 1 person and ride with their predictions on the QB position it would be Simms.  I know it sounds crazy but if you look at his last few years of predictions, it is pretty scary how he ranked the QBs coming out of college and how they have performed in the pros.  I cant recall anyone who has been that close to perfect since I started following the draft closely(been a few decades).

And I will say this, you can tell these guys are a little uncomfortable projecting how these kids will do this year but they are the experts and they are giving their best thoughts and reasoning behind their thoughts.

I hope you're right man because Sims really does think the absolute world of Zach Wilson. Even has him rated higher than Trevor Lawrence coming in. 

"My baseline for Wilson is Aaron Rodgers and Patrick Mahomes. That's where it starts. It is an unbelievably quick release. It's the ability to throw the ball any which way he wants — sidearm, over the top, jumping in the air, two feet off the ground, throwing between a guard and a tackle 25 yards down the middle. The arm strength is phenomenal. He can throw 40-yard lasers into a Cover 2 hole. He can throw 60-, 70-yard-bomb posts down the middle and he doesn't need to get his whole body into it. I was blown away". 

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, whodeawhodat said:

What warrants Chris Simms being an expert on anything, especially the QB position. 

Those that cant play anymore coach. 

Those that cant coach commentate. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 2
1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

What warrants Chris Simms being an expert on anything, especially the QB position. 

Just because he's not coaching doesn't mean he can't comment... I heard he's interested in a front office job, has his eyes on being a GM one day.... what's wrong with that?... Many players never coached & went into a managerial role, John Lynch being the latest at the high end... I wish him all the Best. 

• Upvote 2
28 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Much more qualified than you.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
32 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

That's not true.

There have been plenty of All Time great players who've never gone into coaching afterwards (Joe Montana/Barry Sanders/Randy Moss/Ray Lewis) etc. 

And then there have also been plenty of outstanding coaches that's never played and/or weren't any good as football Players themselves (Bill Walsh/Bill Parcells/Bill Belichick/Bill Cowher) etc. 

Heck man.

Many of us Jet fans right here on JN have strong minds for the game (as couch talent evaluators) and even all of us would've told (screamed @) John Idzik to draft us either Allen Robinson over Louisville Slugger and/or Davante Adams over Jace Amaro during the 2nd round (without having the luxury to watch in person). 2014. 

Many of you (here on JN) would've drafted both Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson over my dude Jamal Adams (you all probably still want to strangle Maccagnan because of it). 2017. 

Back to 2017. And maybe it's just me because I'm an FSU fan but I was screaming @ my TV for Maccagnan to draft my boy #4 Dalvin Cook during the 2nd round (now a 2x Pro Bowl RB) instead of the Gator SAFETY Marcus Maye. 

Etc. 

I'm sure I'd make for a bad GM but not even the professionals get it right. If so Tom Brady doesn't last 6 rounds; he goes #1 overall. 

I hope as a student of the position that Sims is right on Zach Wilson as he was once right on the money with Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson and Patrick Mahomes (I never knew this about him, until today). 

Whether Chris Simms or any other commentator picks him 1, 10, 27, or 40 in June doesn’t mean squat. Let me know how he ranks in January after having actually played football in the NFL.

• Post of the Week 2
9 hours ago, Jet9 said:

PFF has Kyle Pitts at #4 TE. It's a joke. 

I dunno about PFF but I have Pitts as my TE4 in fantasy this season.

@Paradis

I mean who are you gonna take over Pitts with that tantalizing skillset?  Mark Andrews?  Please.  A guy like Andrews is a solid TE, but he's not a special talent.  Pitts likely is a special talent, and will also likely demonstrate that even as a rookie (even though we know TE's tend to start slow in their rookie years).  

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, whodeawhodat said:

5 hours ago, whodeawhodat said:
For comparison, Simms' 2020 draft rankings:
  • Joe Burrow (Selected No. 1 overall)
  • Justin Herbert (Selected No. 6 overall)
  • Jordan Love (Selected 26th overall)
  • Tua Tagovailoa (Selected No. 5 overall)
  • Jacob Eason (Selected 122nd overall)

From Reddit:

Simms tends to get a lot of hate for going against the tide with his quarterback rankings, but he's had pretty good hit rate so far. Plus he never lets other scouts' opinions sway him and his evaluations. Here are his QB prospect rankings:

1. Lamar Jackson

2. Josh Allen

3. Baker Mayfield

4. Sam Darnold

5. Josh Rosen

1. Kyler Murray

2. Drew Lock

3. Dwayne Haskins

4. Ryan Finley

5. Jarrett Stidham

6. Daniel Jones

7. Clayton Thorson

8. Will Grier

1. Joe Burrow

2. Justin Herbert

3. Jordan Love

4. Tua Tagovailoa

He didn't make the QB prospect ranking video for the 2017 draft class, but while he was at Bleacher Report he had came out to say that Patrick Mahomes Is 2017 NFL Draft's Most Special QB Talent

I think his track record speaks for itself. He's got a really good eye for QB talents and a team looking for a quarterback in the upcoming draft should really take his opinions under consideration.

And he has Zach Wilson as his # 1 QB from the 2021 class, so ranking him # 27 as a rookie shouldn't be a big deal at all.  In the long run, clearly Simms thinks the kid will be special, it'll just be a bit of a rough go as a rookie for him.  No surprise there given rookie QB's tend to be a "mixed bag", we have a rookie HC and a roster still in progress.

https://www.si.com/nfl/49ers/news/chris-simms-quarterback-rankings-for-the-2021-nfl-draft

Chris Simms' Quarterback Rankings for the 2021 NFL Draft

1. Zach Wilson, BYU

Simms: "My baseline for Wilson is Aaron Rodgers and Patrick Mahomes. That's where it starts. It is an unbelievably quick release. It's the ability to throw the ball any which way he wants -- side arm, over the top, jumping in air, two feet off the ground, throwing between a guard and a tackle 25 yards down the middle. The arm strength is phenomenal. He can throw 40-yard lasers into a Cover 2 hole. He can throw 60-, 70-yard-bomb posts down the middle and he doesn't need to get his hole body into it. I was blown away."

2. Trevor Lawrence, Clemson

Simms: "He does have a very strong arm -- there's no doubt about that. His mechanics are a little flawed. The ball can be a little bit all over the place at times, along with his feet. He just gets it done with God-given natural ability. And size is a skill. He has the ability to throw over people with people around him, and I think there is room for him to grow as a thrower. He's a big, strong athlete. But as a pure thrower, he's not as good as Justin Herbert was last year. I was more blown away by what I saw from Herbert."

3. Mac Jones, Alabama

Simms: "He's a lot better than I thought. He's just an absolute machine throwing the football. His arm isn't as powerful as Trevor Lawrence's or Zach Wilson's, but his arm is more powerful than Joe Burrow's. Now, he's not the athlete and can't make the plays Burrow did avoiding blitzes and running, but Jones has unbelievable feet, really quick in the pocket. I think he is a top-10 pick. I have no doubt about that. His ability to go through reads and process information and get onto the next guy is as good as I've seen the last few years. It's up there with Joe Burrow."

4. Kellen Mond, Texas A&M

Simms: "Why is nobody talking about this guy? He lost one game in the SEC, threw 19 touchdowns and three interceptions. That merits more talk and hype. But forget that -- his throwing is special. Wilson is the king of the throwing. Jones is extremely consistent. Kellen Mond is the next guy. As pure throwers, guys who can throw perfect strikes every time, Wilson, Jones and Mond are more machines than Trevor Lawrence is at this point. Mond has a really quick release, he keeps the ball up tight. I wish he would relax and loosen up, but that's the way they're taught in college at times. Every throw he makes is bullseye. It's a rocket arm. He doesn't need space in the pocket. He can throw with pressure. The only negative is I wish he'd play a little bit more backyard football. He's a really good athlete, but I think he's trying to do the right thing in the Jimbo Fisher system and go through the reads, and he's a great decision maker, he can go 1 to 2 to 3 seamlessly, he makes very little mistakes, when people aren't open he doesn't compound those mistakes. And I'm not going to lie, I'm not blown away by Jimbo Fisher's offense. It's a little predictable. Defenses are all over their concepts, and he still throws strikes in there."

5. Justin Fields, Ohio State

Simms: "He has big talent -- there's no doubt -- it's just very raw at this point. He has room to grow. His running is real, better than I thought it was. He is a real threat, and the athletic ability will help him early in his career as he grows into being a better passer. He has an incredibly strong arm, but it can fall apart, and that's what scares me. I know people talk about the Clemson game. I would challenge people to go back and watch it. I know there are some good throws, but there are a handful of throws in that game where I would expect a high school quarterback to hit them 10 out of 10. I believe he's a one-read thrower. If the first read is not wide open, he's going to run or panic and he can do some bad things when he does that, can be a little careless with the football. He is not a good short-ball thrower. I look at Cardale Jones, Dwayne Haskins, Justin Fields, I don't know if they're teaching it this way at Ohio State but the arm can get too floppy. It just doesn't connect all the time. His body is locked and the arm just flops everywhere."

6. Trey Lance, North Dakota State.

Simms: "Lack of play -- that's what would scare me. He has a big time arm and he can fly. In a lot of ways, I like his technique with how he throws the ball more than I like Justin Fields. But the offense was a one-read offense. And it's lack of throws and lack of playing that would scare me. If you draft him, you're going to have a play a certain way early in his career to let that come along. A little too raw."

• Upvote 2
9 hours ago, doitny said:

wait, how can this be?

LMFAO

Yup 7 on 7 drills are a great way to tell if a an is going to be great. 

• Upvote 1
23 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

Well to be fair our fan excitement over Zach Wilson goes way beyond "7 on 7 drills".

Because he did get drafted #2 overall; after ranking...

Zach Wilson:

1st in fewest Interceptions thrown (only 3 INTs).

2nd in QB Rating (QBR of 196.4). 

2nd in QB completion percentage (73.5%). 

3rd in passing yards (3,692 passing yards). 

3rd in TD's throw (33 Passing TDs). 

3rd in average yards per pass attempt (11.0 yards per throw).

4th in Rushing TD's amongst all QBs (10 rushing TDs as dual-threat). 

6th in completed passes (247 pass completions). 

V.S:

Sam Darnold (final USC year before declaring):

89th and 11th from the (very) bottom in INT's thrown (13 INTs tossed). 

36th in QB Rating (QBR of only 148.1). 

35th in QB completion percentage (63.1%). 

5th in passing yards (4,143 passing yards).

21st in TDs thrown (26 Passing TDs).

16th in average yards per pass attempt (8.6 yards per throw). 

32nd in Rushing TDs amongst all QBs (5 rushing TDs as an unathletic body). 

9th in completed passes (303 pass completions).

You see.

No matter which way(s) you try and spin it...

Zach Wilson is probably our highest rated QB prospect of All-Time (outside of only Joe Namath of the 1960's). 

NYJ fans have every right to be A+ optimistic about this kid; and he blows Sam Darnold out of the waters in terms of QB Prospect coming out. 

6 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Lets see, he played the position?  Knows what it takes to play the position and can more appreciate things fans dont even notice?  

Please dont respond with he sucked in the NFL etc.  Playing mediocre NFL football is more than any scout, any expert and most GMs have on their resume.   And then theres his past predictions that are well documented and pretty much dead on.

But really what warrants Chris Simms being an expert

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2
1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And he has Zach Wilson as his # 1 QB from the 2021 class, so ranking him # 27 as a rookie shouldn't be a big deal at all.  In the long run, clearly Simms thinks the kid will be special, it'll just be a bit of a rough go as a rookie for him.  No surprise there given rookie QB's tend to be a "mixed bag", we have a rookie HC and a roster still in progress.

https://www.si.com/nfl/49ers/news/chris-simms-quarterback-rankings-for-the-2021-nfl-draft

Chris Simms' Quarterback Rankings for the 2021 NFL Draft

1. Zach Wilson, BYU

Simms: "My baseline for Wilson is Aaron Rodgers and Patrick Mahomes. That's where it starts. It is an unbelievably quick release. It's the ability to throw the ball any which way he wants -- side arm, over the top, jumping in air, two feet off the ground, throwing between a guard and a tackle 25 yards down the middle. The arm strength is phenomenal. He can throw 40-yard lasers into a Cover 2 hole. He can throw 60-, 70-yard-bomb posts down the middle and he doesn't need to get his hole body into it. I was blown away."

2. Trevor Lawrence, Clemson

Simms: "He does have a very strong arm -- there's no doubt about that. His mechanics are a little flawed. The ball can be a little bit all over the place at times, along with his feet. He just gets it done with God-given natural ability. And size is a skill. He has the ability to throw over people with people around him, and I think there is room for him to grow as a thrower. He's a big, strong athlete. But as a pure thrower, he's not as good as Justin Herbert was last year. I was more blown away by what I saw from Herbert."

3. Mac Jones, Alabama

Simms: "He's a lot better than I thought. He's just an absolute machine throwing the football. His arm isn't as powerful as Trevor Lawrence's or Zach Wilson's, but his arm is more powerful than Joe Burrow's. Now, he's not the athlete and can't make the plays Burrow did avoiding blitzes and running, but Jones has unbelievable feet, really quick in the pocket. I think he is a top-10 pick. I have no doubt about that. His ability to go through reads and process information and get onto the next guy is as good as I've seen the last few years. It's up there with Joe Burrow."

4. Kellen Mond, Texas A&M

Simms: "Why is nobody talking about this guy? He lost one game in the SEC, threw 19 touchdowns and three interceptions. That merits more talk and hype. But forget that -- his throwing is special. Wilson is the king of the throwing. Jones is extremely consistent. Kellen Mond is the next guy. As pure throwers, guys who can throw perfect strikes every time, Wilson, Jones and Mond are more machines than Trevor Lawrence is at this point. Mond has a really quick release, he keeps the ball up tight. I wish he would relax and loosen up, but that's the way they're taught in college at times. Every throw he makes is bullseye. It's a rocket arm. He doesn't need space in the pocket. He can throw with pressure. The only negative is I wish he'd play a little bit more backyard football. He's a really good athlete, but I think he's trying to do the right thing in the Jimbo Fisher system and go through the reads, and he's a great decision maker, he can go 1 to 2 to 3 seamlessly, he makes very little mistakes, when people aren't open he doesn't compound those mistakes. And I'm not going to lie, I'm not blown away by Jimbo Fisher's offense. It's a little predictable. Defenses are all over their concepts, and he still throws strikes in there."

5. Justin Fields, Ohio State

Simms: "He has big talent -- there's no doubt -- it's just very raw at this point. He has room to grow. His running is real, better than I thought it was. He is a real threat, and the athletic ability will help him early in his career as he grows into being a better passer. He has an incredibly strong arm, but it can fall apart, and that's what scares me. I know people talk about the Clemson game. I would challenge people to go back and watch it. I know there are some good throws, but there are a handful of throws in that game where I would expect a high school quarterback to hit them 10 out of 10. I believe he's a one-read thrower. If the first read is not wide open, he's going to run or panic and he can do some bad things when he does that, can be a little careless with the football. He is not a good short-ball thrower. I look at Cardale Jones, Dwayne Haskins, Justin Fields, I don't know if they're teaching it this way at Ohio State but the arm can get too floppy. It just doesn't connect all the time. His body is locked and the arm just flops everywhere."

6. Trey Lance, North Dakota State.

Simms: "Lack of play -- that's what would scare me. He has a big time arm and he can fly. In a lot of ways, I like his technique with how he throws the ball more than I like Justin Fields. But the offense was a one-read offense. And it's lack of throws and lack of playing that would scare me. If you draft him, you're going to have a play a certain way early in his career to let that come along. A little too raw."

Hadn’t even heard of Kellen Mond. I have been living in a cave, evidently. Almond Joy’s got nuts … 

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, shawn306 said:

no, but it is nice to see he went 7 for 7 and not 4 for 7 because Berrios, Smith and Johnson are so bad.

the same guys who couldn't run, catch or get open for sam.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1