Zach is Back.... at the islanders game again

Rough night last night.  Lightning beat us at our own game.  A defensive battle, tight checking, played the way we like to play in our building, and we still lost.  They took advantage of a questionable penalty call (same as we did in game 2), but still, we have to kill the PP.  Technically we did with the goal coming seconds after it ended. 

But I really don't understand our approach to the penalty kill.  Looks like we are content to sit back in our box, let them control the puck for two minutes, take away shooting lanes and hope to clear after either an errant pass or missed shot.  We don't put any pressure on the puck handlers.  They are too skilled to allow that amount of possession. 

We were down 2-1 in each of the first two series we won, so all is not lost, but I am not feeling good about our chances.  Obviously, tomorrow night is as close to a must win as you can have.

On 6/18/2021 at 10:04 AM, Lith said:

Rough night last night.  Lightning beat us at our own game.  A defensive battle, tight checking, played the way we like to play in our building, and we still lost.  They took advantage of a questionable penalty call (same as we did in game 2), but still, we have to kill the PP.  Technically we did with the goal coming seconds after it ended. 

But I really don't understand our approach to the penalty kill.  Looks like we are content to sit back in our box, let them control the puck for two minutes, take away shooting lanes and hope to clear after either an errant pass or missed shot.  We don't put any pressure on the puck handlers.  They are too skilled to allow that amount of possession. 

We were down 2-1 in each of the first two series we won, so all is not lost, but I am not feeling good about our chances.  Obviously, tomorrow night is as close to a must win as you can have.

Let’s gooooooo!!!!

• Upvote 3

On 6/18/2021 at 10:04 AM, Lith said:

And it's three series in a row we win that 4th game.

How do you feel now?  

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

It's a very good win but what I'm concerned about is them not maintaining the home ice advantage. When the Islanders stole game 1 They created an advantage for themselves. Now that's been lost.....

Home Ice advantage was lost when we lost game 3 - we are gonna have to win another in Tampa. Islanders kinda snuck up on them game 1 . I was at game 2 in Tampa and Tampa out played us. Game 3 pretty even. We started imposing our will on Tampa last night late in the 1st period. We eased up a bit in the 3rd with a 3 goal lead. I expect this to go 7 games.

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, sackdance said:

And it's three series in a row we win that 4th game.

How do you feel now?  

Better than I did a day ago. We have played well the last two games.  Even though we had to sweat it out, we deserved the W last night. 

Last two series we stole a couple of games despite being outplayed.  This series has been tough games between two pretty evenly matched teams.

4 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

This photo represents 50% of the regular season ticket sales for the Icelanders in a non-pandemic year! ?

Forgot to thank you, Booz.  Over the last 16 games of the regular season, the Isles really struggled.  6 wins in the last 16 games.  Looked like we might not be able to hold on to the last playoff spot.  Would have been an epic collapse after fighting for first place most of the season.  But four of those 16 were against the Rangers.  A 3-2 OT win, followed by 6-1, 4-0 and 3-0 beatdowns.  Not sure where we would be without those games.  

So, thank you.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Lith said:

Forgot to thank you, Booz.  Over the last 16 games of the regular season, the Isles really struggled.  6 wins in the last 16 games.  Looked like we might not be able to hold on to the last playoff spot.  Would have been an epic collapse after fighting for first place most of the season.  But four of those 16 were against the Rangers.  A 3-2 OT win, followed by 6-1, 4-0 and 3-0 beatdowns.  Not sure where we would be without those games.  

So, thank you.

Youre Welcome GIF by BayWa AG

• Sympathy 1

Well, that sucked.  One of the worst performances I have ever seen in a big spot.  How does this team, that has been so well coached, completely no-show in that spot.  As close to a Stanley Cup Finals appearance as they have been since 1984.  Must have given up at least a dozen odd man rushes in the first period alone.  Then we started taking stupid penalties and it jsut kept getting worse.  Incredibly stupid play by Barzal at the end of the 2nd, I just hope he does not get his ass suspended for tomorrow night. 

It was kind of like watching the first half of the AFCCG in Pittsburgh.  But watching it three straight times, each period as bad as the one before.  Embarrassing.

• Upvote 1