Julio being traded to Tennessee

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I'm reading a 2nd & 5th is the compensation. Seems like we could have beat that. Julio probably wouldn't be too excited about going to the Jets though. Maybe it was never an option.

Yeah I have to think Julio had sone control over destination.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I get your point but he is still playing at a dominant level and would have been a great security blanket for a rookie QB. 

You don't understand. Players with a high cap hit, aging productive players don't provide any benefit whatsoever to any team ever. Only guys who who are cheap, with low cap hit sand greatly outperform their contract are worthwhile until you have to pay them so you can have the lowest cap number in the league which wins you something.. apparently. 

• Haha 3

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2932440-report-julio-jones-traded-to-titans-falcons-get-at-least-a-2nd-round-pick

Report: Julio Jones Traded to Titans; Falcons Get Picks in 2022, 2023 NFL Drafts

ROB GOLDBERGJUNE 6, 20210

Alerted 1h ago in the B/R App
TENNESSEE TITANS ALERTS

Atlanta Falcons wide receiver Julio Jones (11) works against the Denver Broncos during the second half of an NFL football game, Sunday, Nov. 8, 2020, in Atlanta. The Atlanta Falcons won 34-27. (AP Photo/John Bazemore)
John Bazemore/Associated Press

The Tennessee Titans will acquire receiver Julio Jones in a trade with the Atlanta Falcons, according to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network.

Jones requested a trade earlier in the offseason, and the team agreed to listen to offers, per Rapoport. He later told Shannon Sharpe on Undisputed that he planned to leave the team.

"I'm out of there, man," he said on the air.

A deal was virtually impossible until June 1 because of the salary cap, but the Falcons will now save $15.3 million against the 2021 after the trade, per Spotrac. The player initially had a $23.05 million cap hit for the first season of his three-year extension, which ran through 2023.

Jones could seek a new deal with the Titans after his move, as Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk previously reported.

The 32-year-old is coming off a disappointing season in which hamstring injuries limited him to just nine games. He finished 2020 with 51 catches for 771 receiving yards and three touchdowns, all his worst totals since his injury-filled 2013 campaign.

Despite the missed time, the superstar still finished seventh in the NFL with 85.7 receiving yards per game, while his 11.3 yards per target represented a career high.

Jones remains one of the top players in the league at his position when healthy, which he has proved throughout a career that includes seven Pro Bowl selections. He had at least 80 catches and 1,300 yards in each year from 2014-19, averaging 104 receptions for 1,565 yards in this span.

An average of 95.5 receiving yards per game is easily the best in NFL history, almost 20 yards better than Jerry Rice.

Jones will try to keep it going with the Titans, which adds an elite weapon to a passing attack that ranked 23rd in the NFL last season. A.J. Brown returns coming off a big year, but the unit was likely to take a step back after losing Corey Davis and Jonnu Smith to free agency.

Even if this is a run-heavy offense, Jones' addition could provide a lot of help to quarterback Ryan Tannehill while creating some much-needed balance. The move could also bring Jones closer to contention after he went the past three years without a playoff appearance. 

Atlanta finished 4-12 last season and is now even further from the playoffs after trading one of the top players on the roster. The move will at least save cash and create flexibility going forward, as well as adding valuable assets to turn things around.

The Falcons already have a replacement at receiver ready to go in Calvin Ridley, who set a career high with 1,374 receiving yards last year. Tight end Kyle Pitts also has a chance to make an early impact after going No. 4 overall in the draft, while Russell Gage and Hayden Hurst will also take on bigger roles in the passing attack.

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I'm reading a 2nd & 5th is the compensation. Seems like we could have beat that. Julio probably wouldn't be too excited about going to the Jets though. Maybe it was never an option.

Yep, not sure if Jones had a no-trade clause.  Plus I doubt Douglas had any desire to beat a 2 and a 5 for a 32-year old, oft-banged up WR.  Douglas' thoughts are on 2022 and beyond, and Jones may not have enough left in the tank to contribute beyond 2021 for all we know.  You don't pay up a 2 and a 5, or more, for that when you're a non-contender.

I still love Julio but a 2 and a 5 was about right for his peak market value at this stage in his career, and only a contender would  be willing to pay that price.  The fact that Atlanta did NOT get a 1st suggests a lot of JN posters over-estimated his value to the league.  I get that the Falcons preferably wanted him out of the conference, but I doubt they would have passed on a 1st from an NFC team, either.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I get your point but he is still playing at a dominant level and would have been a great security blanket for a rookie QB. 

He was dominant in 2019.  In 2020 he missed 7 games and "only" averaged 86 yards per game, with 3 TD's on the season.  Very good productivity, for sure, but I wouldn't call that dominant.  He'll be even less so, I imagine, in 2021.  

He's going to be a good fit for Tennessee in 2021, because AJ Brown is their established WR1 and Jones will be an excellent WR 2 or 1b.  But I would not expect All-Pro level play out of Jones, even if he is able to stay on the field for a full 17 games or close to it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

You don't understand. Players with a high cap hit, aging productive players don't provide any benefit whatsoever to any team ever. Only guys who who are cheap, with low cap hit sand greatly outperform their contract are worthwhile until you have to pay them so you can have the lowest cap number in the league which wins you something.. apparently. 

So you would have given up a 2 and a 5 or more for Jones?  Because that's the relevant part of the deal you didn't mention here.  The cap hit isn't what would have mattered most.

But but but according to Jet fans Julio Jones is injury prone (just ask Becton critics). 

Because as a rookie (2011) he missed 3 games.

in 2013 he missed 11 games.

in 2014 he missed 1 game.

in 2016 he misses 2 games.

in 2019 he missed 1 game.

and last year (2020) he missed a whopping 7 games;

Grand total of 25 games missed due to injury (but yet the same Becton/Mims critics have sucked off Julio Jones). 

Of course I'm just being sarcastic and mocking Jets fans because I'm not that STUPID;

because as a fan of the game I (100%) understand that Football is a physical sport and often a violent one and unfortunately injuries happen, however; injuries during your Rookie season doesn't mean you're "injury prone". 

In all seriousness? 

He's 32 years old, coming off a lingering hamstring injury and WRs age over night (at his age). 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

Also, what the heck is Atlanta doing? I figured when they took Pitts they were gonna try to make one more run at contention with that high powered offense. Now with Julio gone it woulda made sense to blow everything up and trade Ryan too and probably drafted Fields 

Ryan's contract made it very hard to move on from him this year; actually more like impossible when I look at overthecap.com.  Ryan was always going to have to be the QB in 2021, and even in 2022, it might prove difficult to find a trade partner.  It may be like a Jared Goff situation, where Atlanta will have to give away assets or take a low pick for someone to take Ryan's remaining contract on.  So for the time being, finding their QB of the future is going to be delayed.   The blow-it-up-and-rebuild will have to come in phases for them.  Trading Jones today was kind of like step one in that process.

Meanwhile, a talent like Pitts would have been insanely difficult to pass up, just to take a QB who probably wouldn't see the field much at all in 2021.  Pitts is going to be a WR in a TE's body, so they aren't going to need a lot of tremendous WR's around him while he's there (though having said that, Ridley is already a superb WR1 anyways).  Pitts is going to transcend the position in many ways, moreso than other TE's we've seen that operated like WR's.

My prediction is Pitts will be Matt Ryan's # 2 targeted weapon this year and then his # 1 weapon in 2022 and beyond, even ahead of Ridley.  He's a total game-changer, and IMO will easily be the best TE in the game no later than 2023, even better than Kelce.  He could have been taken # 1 overall and I really wouldn't have criticized the decision.

@Paradis

• Upvote 2

the national media loves taking shots at the Jets any chance they can get 

They also leave out Julio is owed like $33mn in guaranteed money in his remaining contract of which Atlanta wanted to pay none of it.  If they would have then they would have gotten higher draft picks in return.  

• Upvote 3

Julio's market value was pretty much spot on.  The other 3, not so much.  Market inefficiency at its finest. 

I still hate that we either never went after or didn't have the chance to trade for Hopkins.  O'Brien was in  a huge rush to trade him and move him out of the conference, I guess.  What a moron.  

• Upvote 1

the national media loves taking shots at the Jets any chance they can get 

You trade/sign a player for what you think he will be going forward, not what he's done.  Julio Jones is indeed a future HOFer and one of the greats.  But he no longer is that guy.  He's 32, missed 7 games last season to injury, and had a good but not great season when he was healthy.  He likely has very little left in the tank (father time is undefeated), and you don't give up a 1st for that.  The entire league spoke and said "no thanks" on giving up a 1st rounder for Jones' projected production going forward.  As they should have passed.  It wasn't just the Jets who said no, obviously.  

Douglas traded up for Vera-Tucker because he earnestly believes he will be an elite G in the NFL.  He may be way off, and certainly he lost to the standard trade chart on the deal UNLESS Vera-Tucker indeed becomes elite.  But it was a far better gamble than trading a 1st for Jones would have been.  

• Upvote 4

Tennessee was going to be a problem for teams even without Jones.

Imo, they upgraded over Davis, but not by a huge leap.  

Julio is great, but clearly declining where Davis appears to be finally coming into his own.

Let's see who's the better player in 2 years when we should be ready to compete with the best teams in the league.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1