Julio being traded to Tennessee

15 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Nice try. 

He's had 3 consecutive years of no more than 1 game missed because of injury. 

2018: 16 games played. 

2019: 15 games played. 

2020: 14 games played.

And missing 1 game last year because of Covid-19 Protocol doesn't count as an "injury". 

Because of injury? 

2018: 0 games missed. 

2019: a whooping 1 game missed.

2020: a whooping 1 game missed (because of injury). 

So what's your freaking point other than having none?

And PS; I never brought "Corey Davis" into this thread, you did. 

Oh for crying out loud, he missed a game. What os the difference. Was Sam injured with mono? 

• Upvote 1

On 6/6/2021 at 1:22 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

The Titans should have just resigned a 26 year old corey davis rather then trade picks for a 32 year old julio jones.

The titans are ready to compete this year. While Corey Davis may have more upside over the next 4-5 years, If my team is ready to compete for a title, I'd rather have julio jones for the next 1-2 years. Yes, he is injury prone but when Julio is on the field, there aren't many WRers who are better than him. The titans are going for it, the timing is right to go after the high risk / high reward aging veteran. 

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, jgb said:

Waitaminute people really think Corey Davis is a better signing than Julio Jones?

For 2021, maybe 2022, no.  For beyond that point, absolutely.  

Julio Jones was a better trade for the Titans than the Davis signing was for the Jets.  But Jones would have been a far worse trade for the Jets than signing Corey Davis was. 

Keep in mind we didn't have to give up a 2nd rounder and change for Corey Davis.  Jones wasn't a signing.  Draft picks like those have a lot more value to the Jets right now than they would for the Titans.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

For 2021, maybe 2022, no.  For beyond that point, absolutely.  

Julio Jones was a better signing for the Titans than Davis was for the Jets.  But Jones would have been a far worse trade for the Jets than signing Corey Davis was. 

Keep in mind we didn't have to give up a 2nd rounder and change for Corey Davis.  Jones wasn't a signing.  Draft picks like those have a lot more value to the Jets right now than they would for the Titans.  

No suggesting we should've traded for Julio. You're right -- make no sense for the Jets. But I'd take 2-3 years more Julio over 10 of Corey Davis.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

No suggesting we should've traded for Julio. You're right -- make no sense for the Jets. But I'd take 2-3 years more Julio over 10 of Corey Davis.

I would too....if we were a contending team. 

And I don't think Julio has 3 years left.  2 at most.  The cumulative impact of all his injuries are coming back to bite him entering his age 32 season.  I think he'll be good, not great, for Tennessee as a solid WR2 this year then he will fall steeply off a cliff as his body betrays him.

Tennessee won't be missing those draft picks as they're making deep playoff runs this year and perhaps next as well.  But we certainly would be.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I would too....if we were a contending team.  

And I don't think Julio has 3 years left.  2 at most.  The cumulative impact of all his injuries are coming back to bite him entering his age 32 season.  

Corey Davis is a JAG+. Not a crap player but Julio is very probably the best athlete to play WR in NFL history. He could -- if he was so inclined -- play to 40 years old. His talent is so supreme he could lose a lot of it and still be a WR2.

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

Corey Davis is a JAG+. Not a crap player but Julio is very probably the best athlete to play WR in NFL history. He could -- if he was so inclined -- play to 40 years old. His talent is so supreme he could lose a lot of it and still be a WR2.

He missed 7 games last season and I don't think he showed up to practice for any of the 9 games he did play in.  Father time is undefeated, no matter how good of an athlete you are. 

Meanwhile, I think you are underestimating Davis a bit.  He's nowhere close to Jones' category, but we're talking about a HOF receiver here.  I think Davis is a low-end WR1 or high-end WR2.  Take your pick.  That's not a "JAG+".  

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He missed 7 games last season and I don't think he showed up to practice for any of the 9 games he did play in.  Father time is undefeated, no matter how good of an athlete you are.  This is about the age when even supremely athletic and talented WRs, historically, have started to fade.  

Meanwhile, I think you are underestimating Davis a bit.  He's nowhere close to Jones' category, but we're talking about a HOF receiver here.  I think Davis is a low-end WR1 or high-end WR2.  Take your pick.  That's not a "JAG+".  

Father time is undefeated but not everyone loses at the same speed. If I were Julio, I wouldn't take the Jerry Rice route and fade away. I would retire once I wasn't a WR1 any longer. But he could be a contributor for a long time his physical talent is so outrageous.

Davis -- guess it depends on "JAG+" definition. He's a step above JAG (hence the plus) but I don't see him as a WR1 at all. Once he loses 10%-15% of his talent to age he's done as a WR2 even. Not a knock. That's the vast majority of skill players.

8 minutes ago, jgb said:

Father time is undefeated but not everyone loses at the same speed. If I were Julio, I wouldn't take the Jerry Rice route and fade away. I would retire once I wasn't a WR1 any longer. But he could be a contributor for a long time his physical talent is so outrageous.

True, but this is about the age when even supremely athletic and talented WRs, historically, have started to fade or even fall off a cliff.  It happened to Randy Moss, Andre Johnson, Roddy White, Chad Johnson, Isaac Bruce, Torry Holt and A.J. Green at or before the age of 32. 

Among relatively recent guys (I.E. post-Jerry Rice/Tim Brown), T.O. , Steve Smith, Marvin Harrison and Larry Fitz are the only HOF-caliber guys I can think of who were highly productive into their mid-30s.  And they didn't have the injury history Julio does (yes, I realize he hasn't missed many games, but he's CONSTANTLY been hurt).  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

True, but this is about the age when even supremely athletic and talented WRs, historically, have started to fade or even fall off a cliff.  It happened to Randy Moss, Andre Johnson, Roddy White, Chad Johnson, Isaac Bruce, Torry Holt and A.J. Green at or before the age of 32. 

Among relatively recent guys (I.E. post-Jerry Rice/Tim Brown), T.O. , Steve Smith, Marvin Harrison and Larry Fitz are the only HOF-caliber guys I can think of who were highly productive into their mid-30s.  And they didn't have the injury history Julio does (yes, I realize he hasn't missed many games, but he's CONSTANTLY been hurt).  

I hear ya. I guess my point is Julio could fall off the cliff and not pass Davis until halfway down.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

I hear ya. I guess my point is Julio could fall off the cliff and not pass Davis until halfway down.

That's fair.  My guess is it happens in 2022.  By which time Davis will be 27.  It was a worthwhile signing.  Hopefully he starts approaching the potential of a former # 5 overall pick who looked good last year, en route to nearly 1,000 yards in 14 games played (12 starts), a 70.7 % catch rate and 5 TDs. 

Playing in a great offense, lining up across from AJ Brown, and with Derrick Henry as a running threat obviously helped him greatly, and he won't have a safety net here.  But he can also get better as a still semi-young guy.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That's fair.  My guess is it happens in 2022.  By which time Davis will be 27.  It was a worthwhile signing.  Hopefully he starts approaching the potential of a former # 5 overall pick who looked good last year, en route to nearly 1,000 yards in 14 games played (12 starts), a 70.7 % catch rate and 5 TDs. 

Playing in a great offense, lining up across from AJ Brown, and with Derrick Henry as a running threat obviously helped him greatly, and he won't have a safety net here.  But he can also get better as a still semi-young guy.  

Don't forget who was throwing him the ball

Is This the Ryan Tannehill Breakout We've Been Waiting For? - The Ringer

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Interesting. Athletically, I'd probably go with Megatron. I know for sure that if I only got my choice of 1 WR ever, it would be Randy in his prime, and I don't think it's close.

They are all elite no doubt and deciding between them is really a "no wrong answer" situation. But in pure athleticsm, I'm sticking with Julio. The numbers support this view, as well. Unfortunately, Megatron didn't run the 3 cone at the combine so I guess we'll never really know. But I'm fine with the counter position that he's the third most athletically gifted WR in NFL history lol. 

image.thumb.png.ce7458756c6f0146a528cd531c59e3c6.png

image.thumb.png.2b01ca501927fe4a517944b42357a612.png

image.png

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, jgb said:

Waitaminute people really think Corey Davis is a better signing than Julio Jones?

Like for like probably not.

Context / situation wise, its a better signing for the Jets ... we're looking longer term, whereas Titans are looking at win now.

Plus - and this can't be said often enough it seems - Jones had ZERO INTEREST in playing for a rebuilding team. He wants a shot at a ring, and won't get that with the Jets.

38 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Like for like probably not.

Context / situation wise, its a better signing for the Jets ... we're looking longer term, whereas Titans are looking at win now.

Plus - and this can't be said often enough it seems - Jones had ZERO INTEREST in playing for a rebuilding team. He wants a shot at a ring, and won't get that with the Jets.

Signing Julio would not have made sense for Jets but Corey Davis is maybe not a dime a dozen kind of guy but a quarter a dozen kinda guy. He can be replaced pretty easily don’t see locking him up long term being such a competitive advantage.

• WTF? 1

On 6/6/2021 at 10:51 PM, More Cowbell said:

So what, he is preforming at a high level, has been very healthy until last season so we aren't  talking about someone like Davis who alway seems to be hurt, and Tanny is better than what  Ryan is at this point in his career.  I'm pretty sure Tn will get Jones the ball. 

Davis has missed 3 games with injuries in 4 years.

Jones missed 7 games last year alone.  And left more than one on top of that

Tanny had 3800 yards passing last season and 2700 his first season with Tenn.  Ryans average season is 4500 yards per

Your points are wrong even if your main point is right, they will try to get Jones the ball.  But Tenn hasnt been the wide open passing team that Atl has been

On 6/8/2021 at 1:49 PM, More Cowbell said:

Oh for crying out loud, he missed a game. What os the difference. Was Sam injured with mono? 

When other teams’ players miss games they are red flags that high level of production may not continue.

When Jets players miss game they are excuses for why high level production has never happened.

18 minutes ago, jgb said:

When other teams’ players miss games they are red flags that high level of production may not continue.

When Jets players miss game they are excuses for why high level production has never happened.

The fact that he hasn't  answered by now tells me he got himself banned again and I think this one is going to be a long one

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

The fact that he hasn't  answered by now tells me he got himself banned again and I think this one is going to be a long one

Probably recovering from yesterday’s manic post surge 

20 minutes ago, jgb said:

Probably recovering from yesterday’s manic post surge 

No, he was part of the locked Zack the Knife thread where multiple  people were banned. He was definitely  pushing the limits. I know his last ban was 3 months long for a personal attack, this was worse. 

• Upvote 1