Give it your best guess...

Jets currently list 15 defensive linemen on the roster per their official web site.

How many do they keep?

Who do they keep?

Any players with value who get traded?

Worth noting that Saleh's 49ers carried 9 D-linemen last season.

45 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Jets currently list 15 defensive linemen on the roster per their official web site.

How many do they keep?

Who do they keep?

Also worth noting that the Falcons carried 11 DL, with 4 guys over 300. The 49ers carried 9 with 2 guys over 300. 

Interior Defensive Lineman (5): Foley Fatukasi, Quinnen Williams, Sheldon Rankins, Nathan Shepherd

Edge (6): Carl Lawson, Vinny Curry, Bryce Huff, Kyle Phillips, John Franklin-Meyers, Ronald Blair

I think we ultimately carry 11 guys and try to stash Hamilcar Rashed and Jonathon Marshall on the practice squad. 

I still believe that the Jets try and trade Foley Fatukasi. His contract is up and he’s not really a fit in the defense as it was played in San Fran and in Atlanta. If Marshall has a good preseason and they fear losing him if they try to get him on the practice squad then the trade becomes more likely. 

JFM and Kyle Phillips can swing inside if they ever need to and Vinny Curry is a part time player right now anyway. 

• Upvote 2

Our DLine is crazy deep and our strength, I could see Saleh keeping
nine.  Right now I think the following are definites:

Q. Williams
Lawson
Rankins
Fatukasi
Marshall
Franklin-Myers
Blair

• Upvote 1

I have 8 or 9 making it.  Zuniga is on the bubble, but I liked him at UF and think he will earn the spot in camp and pre-season.  Rashed to the PS.

Lawson
Curry
Blair
Zuniga 
Quinnen
Rankins
Franklin-Myers
Marshall
Phillips
Rashed (Practice Squad)

Foley gets traded for a late round pick.  Shephed and the rest of the guys get cut.  If we can't get a pick for Foley, then swap him in and Phillips is out.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

How many do they keep?

Who do they keep?

How many do most NFL teams keep?

Whatever the answer is, my answer is "that many".

As to who, I'll vote "whomever plays the best in camp".

2 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

DE

1. LAWSON
  2. CURRY
  3. BLAIR
  4. ZUNIGA

DT

1. QUINNEN
  2. RANKINS
  3. FOLEY
  4. SHEPHERD 

Odd men out: Franklin-Myers, Huff, Phillips, Marshall (6th rd pick)

Huff apparently has been impressing in camp so far and has been the first to get extra reps for performance.  Ulbrich specifically praised him during his presser, so he certainly early on has the leg up in the competition.  

Franklin-Myers, from the feeling I got in the press conference, seems to be the odd man out as of right now.  I think they may kick him inside as a versatile piece and let shepherd go honestly, but theres a long time between now and then. 

I think marshall may end up on the practice squad 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

Vinny Curry cannot make this team over those young Uber athletic dudes.  No way.  That would be absolutely moronic.  

Curry, Sheppard, Franklin-Myers, Foley, Rashed should not make the team.  

Agreed.

Words words words.

Agreed.

5 hours ago, AFJF said:

I know this team was terrible last season but JFM was a beast.  He's not going anywhere.

Thank you for that. JFM has serious potential. 

Carl Lawson. 

Quinnen William. 

Sheldon Rankins. 

Kyle Phillips. 

John Franklin-Myers. 

Fatukasi Folorunso

Jabari Zuniga. 

Are the 7 guaranteed locks to make the team. 

However the likes of Vinny Curry, Jonathan Marshall, Bryce Huff, Nathan Shepherd and Ronald Blair (imo) will become the one's fighting for the final 2-3 spots. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

DE

1. LAWSON
  2. CURRY
  3. BLAIR
  4. ZUNIGA

DT

1. QUINNEN
  2. RANKINS
  3. FOLEY
  4. SHEPHERD 

There is no way the Jets cut Franklin-Myers.  Curry will be 33 years old by the end of the month, and he is in jeopardy of not making the roster.  Zuniga better show something or he will be a goner as well. 

If I'm making my guess now, your list of 8 will be 9.  Goodbye Curry and Zuniga, and add Franklin-Myers, Marshall and either Huff or Phillps, depending on who wins out between the two.

How you can take Zuniga over Franklin-Myers is something you would have to explain to me.

My question with JFM has always been where to put him.  He's a true DLine tweener size-wise.  At 288 he's a bit bigger than you typically see as a down DE in a 4-3.  He's also a bit light for the inside unless he's your 3-Tech next to a larger space-eating NT type.

I think where he lines up is probably best determined by the size and style of the OLine he's facing.  A big, power-blocking OL could be tough to matchup against with QW (302) and JFM (288) as our inside guys with lighter speed-rusher types on the outside.  I'm thinking outloud here but in that situation getting a bigger body (Foley or even Marshall) inside next to QW and lining up JFM at DE to set the edge could be a better plan so the Jets can "match the bulk" a bit against big, powerful rushing team.  I'm also thinking ahead to how the Jets try to stop Derrick Henry when they face the Titans.  Lightweights need not apply for time in that game!

Shepherd's and Foley's contracts are expiring after next year.  Neither are great fits for this defense.

I don't think Shepherd makes the team.  I like Foley but would trade him to a contender.   Develop ascending players that fit with the defense.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, AFJF said:

How many do they keep?

Who do they keep?

well I heard shanahan gave Saleh total control so I assume he will follow what he has done before and stay in that range with ot only changing if drastic occurences happen on team  (extra OT cause becton as example)

I desperately want to see JDs 3rd round pick from last year in Jabari Zuniga emerge as our starting DE opposite of Carl Lawson. 

John Abraham: 6'4/263 lbs             (23.5 NCAA sacks). 

Jabari Zuniga: 6'3/264 lbs               (18.5 NCAA sacks). 

No JN (don't blow a head gasket) I'm not comparing these two; I'm simply pointing out that Zuniga had great size for a 4-3 DE and that both could get after the QB in college. 

10 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

DE

1. LAWSON
  2. CURRY
  3. BLAIR
  4. ZUNIGA

DT

1. QUINNEN
  2. RANKINS
  3. FOLEY
  4. SHEPHERD 

I would absolutely hate to see Curry make it over any of these guys.

I would drop Curry and add 2-3 from that list to give us 9-10.  This system needs tons of DL in rotation.  We'll need that many.

I'd also be totally cool with dropping Shepherd if we can.  Can Phillips play DT in a 4-3 or is he too undersized?

4 hours ago, Alka said:

How you can take Zuniga over Franklin-Myers is something you would have to explain to me.

3rd round pick from just a year ago.  Freakish athleticism (see below) coming out of school.  Consideration that last year was essentially a redshirt year for him.  New system that suits him much better as a 4-3 DE rather than a 3-4 OLB.  Yadda yadda.  

I get that if Zuniga shows nothing to the coaches or can't stay healthy he should probably go.  But if it really came down to it, him over Franklin-Myers on the roster wouldn't exactly be a shocker, and would be a move I would support if it has to be one or the other.  Ultimately I think both make it though, which would of course be the best possible result there.

Jabari-Zuniga-RAS-19387.png?resize=806,5

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

3rd round pick from just a year ago.  Freakish athleticism (see below) coming out of school.  Consideration that last year was essentially a redshirt year for him.  New system that suits him much better as a 4-3 DE rather than a 3-4 OLB.  Yadda yadda.  

I get that if Zuniga shows nothing to the coaches or can't stay healthy he should probably go.  But if it really came down to it, him over Franklin-Myers on the roster wouldn't exactly be a shocker, and would be a move I would support if it has to be one or the other.  Ultimately I think both make it though, which would of course be the best possible result there.

Jabari-Zuniga-RAS-19387.png?resize=806,5

I'm really hopeful for Zuniga but when scouting prospects I've never put any real stock into RAS scores...

Josh McCown (9.98). 

Matt Jones (9.99). 

Anthony Becht (10.0). 

image.png.5d7a527962bf3e959bc5adf4a965347b.png

Seems like everyone and anyone who can walk and hop gets super high athleticism scores...