Give it your best guess...

AFJF

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

3rd round pick from just a year ago.  Freakish athleticism (see below) coming out of school.  Consideration that last year was essentially a redshirt year for him.  New system that suits him much better as a 4-3 DE rather than a 3-4 OLB.  Yadda yadda.  

I get that if Zuniga shows nothing to the coaches or can't stay healthy he should probably go.  But if it really came down to it, him over Franklin-Myers on the roster wouldn't exactly be a shocker, and would be a move I would support if it has to be one or the other.  Ultimately I think both make it though, which would of course be the best possible result there.

Jabari-Zuniga-RAS-19387.png?resize=806,5

Potential is a funny thing.  To me, potential is meaningless if given the opportunity and you don't meet that potential.

Franklin-Myers is a player on the rise.  He is 24 years old, and if cut, would be scooped up immediately by another team without hesitation.  In short, he will not be cut, and if the choice is between he and Zuniga, Zuniga is a goner based upon his play to date.

Will Zuniga play up to his potential.  From the eye test when he was on the field last year, he was lost on the field, and I don't recall one single play where he made an impact. 

We will see.  Time will tell.

2 minutes ago, Alka said:

Potential is a funny thing.  To me, potential is meaningless if given the opportunity and you don't meet that potential.

Franklin-Myers is a player on the rise.  He is 24 years old, and if cut, would be scooped up immediately by another team without hesitation.  In short, he will not be cut, and if the choice is between he and Zuniga, Zuniga is a goner based upon his play to date.

Will Zuniga play up to his potential.  From the eye test when he was on the field last year, he was lost on the field, and I don't recall one single play where he made an impact. 

We will see.  Time will tell.

Potential is also a sad thing to waste if you give up on it a bit too soon.  1 year, especially a strange one impacted by a global pandemic and with limited time for rookies to learn on the job, is not enough to deem Zuniga a player the Jets should cut.  Of course he looked lost out there.  A lot of rookies did last season.  Let's see how he does in this system, with a hand in the dirt, and with a full offseason to work with before giving up on him.  

And I like Franklin-Myers, btw.  

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Potential is also a sad thing to waste if you give up on it a bit too soon.  1 year, especially a strange one impacted by a global pandemic and with limited time for rookies to learn on the job, is not enough to deem Zuniga a player the Jets should cut.  Of course he looked lost out there.  A lot of rookies did last season.  Let's see how he does in this system, with a hand in the dirt, and with a full offseason to work with before giving up on him.  

And I like Franklin-Myers, btw.  

I think we are in agreement.  It is time for Zuniga to put up or shut up.

If he comes through as you hope he will ( I do too), then he will absolutely deserve his spot on the team.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Alka said:

I think we are in agreement.  It is time for Zuniga to put up or shut up.

If he comes through as you hope he will ( I do too), then he will absolutely deserve his spot on the team.

Yep.  And I trust the coaching staff to make a solid assessment of him.  If he makes the roster, he'll deserve it.  If he gets cut (hopefully he'd at least merit a PS spot in that instance), I'll trust that that freakish athleticism just isn't enough to justify the roster spot.

Moreso I was just suggesting us as fans shouldn't give up on him just yet.  High athleticism is a baseline requirement to be an effective pass rusher in this league (with very few, rare exceptions), moreso than any other position on the field.  I hope he lives up to expectations, because that would be huge for this team.