Jump to content

Where contract negotiations between Seahawks, Jamal Adams could hit a snag


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Yes, Yes Jamal we will get to your long term extension, right after we sign the punter."

If seattle was smart, they would admit their mistake and let him walk. There is 0 chance jamal adams plays this year unless he has a new contract that makes him the highest paid safety in the lea

Posted Images

On 6/7/2021 at 10:50 AM, Joe W. Namath said:

If seattle was smart, they would admit their mistake and let him walk.

There is 0 chance jamal adams plays this year unless he has a new contract that makes him the highest paid safety in the league.

What a disaster for the seahawks.

Agreed 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/7/2021 at 1:55 PM, TokyoJetsFan said:

Wait until his agent argues that Seattle uses him more like a LB so he wants to reset the linebacker market for salary not safety :)

After all his position is pass rusher I’ve been told. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The really funny thing is we will use Sherwood and Nasrilideen in largely the same way Adams is used and I suspect they will be successful at it. What Adams does is really 4th round type of tweener play

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

The really funny thing is we will use Sherwood and Nasrilideen in largely the same way Adams is used and I suspect they will be successful at it. What Adams does is really 4th round type of tweener play

Making the hype machine he created by jumping around like what male cheerleader wish he was and by dominating the Twitter sphere literally HOF worthy. His play certainly isn’t. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 6/7/2021 at 10:58 AM, jeremy2020 said:

Adams is one of the best grifters in the league. Looking forward to seeing who he cons next. 

Huh? 

To this point, Jamal hasn't gotten anything out of a team. A 5 year option, maybe?  But that was a given.  

If Adams is a grifter, he's a pretty horrible one. In the span of his rookie deal, he's had two teams that haven't been willing to agree to his demands. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/7/2021 at 10:44 AM, Bronx said:

 

Further complicating matters is that Adams could easily demand market setting full guarantees for the position in the $35M range, which would require working the puzzle to fit $45M in fully guaranteed money into the cap in the next two seasons. It’s certainly not impossible, but it’s a puzzle for which any solution could carry significant financial risk in the future should Adams suffer a stinger during garbage time of a November matchup against the Arizona Cardinals which is later diagnosed as the result of career ending spinal stenosis due to calcification behind his C-2 and C-3 vertebrae, along with bone spurs behind his C-2, C-3, C-4 and C-5 vertebrae. 

 

Just wondering if anyone can clarify... Is the bold part merely speculative or a part of Jamal's medical... and is he at risk for spinal stenosis or is the reporter just making all this up?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont even blame Jamal.  This is all on the Seahawks.  Before even making the trade, Seattle knew they would have to make Adams the highest paid safety in the league and commit to him long term.  The fact they have not done that yet is mind boggling.

Is he worth being the highest paid safety in the league, absolutely not.  But Seattle made the decision to do that a year ago.

If I was Adams, Seattle would never see me again until I have a long term deal that pays me more money then any safety in league history.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Based on what?

 

He whines about being 'shopped' then refuses to talk to coach or gm and runs to the owner to be patted on the head.  He then a few months alter demands to be traded.  He blames others 'more dawgs' for team failure and his failure.

Also history, the guys that blab the most and use the look at me card in any walk of life are usually weak.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He whines about being 'shopped' then refuses to talk to coach or gm and runs to the owner to be patted on the head.  He then a few months alter demands to be traded.  He blames others 'more dawgs' for team failure and his failure.

Also history, the guys that blab the most and use the look at me card in any walk of life are usually weak.

He whined that he wanted a new deal and he got the Jets to the table.

He didnt get the deal he wanted and told the world he wanted out and got his way out of NY.

I'm just not seeing where he was weak.  Has nothing to do with like him, no one does anymore.  

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

He whines about being 'shopped' then refuses to talk to coach or gm and runs to the owner to be patted on the head.  He then a few months alter demands to be traded.  He blames others 'more dawgs' for team failure and his failure.

Also history, the guys that blab the most and use the look at me card in any walk of life are usually weak.

Amen! Also he's weak by not showing up where Maye is showing up! That tells you all you need to know about the character differences between the 2 players. The clown is now Seattle's headache thank God!

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I dont even blame Jamal.  This is all on the Seahawks.  Before even making the trade, Seattle knew they would have to make Adams the highest paid safety in the league and commit to him long term.  The fact they have not done that yet is mind boggling.

Is he worth being the highest paid safety in the league, absolutely not.  But Seattle made the decision to do that a year ago.

If I was Adams, Seattle would never see me again until I have a long term deal that pays me more money then any safety in league history.

They didn't expect him to suck. They thought they got themselves a hard hitting DB who can get to the QB. They realized they got a small linebacker who has no wheels, can't cover, can't shed a block, and runs his mouth nonstop. Now they are second guessing paying him what they once thought was worth it. 

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, pointman said:

They didn't expect him to suck. They thought they got themselves a hard hitting DB who can get to the QB. They realized they got a small linebacker who has no wheels, can't cover, can't shed a block, and runs his mouth nonstop. Now they are second guessing paying him what they once thought was worth it. 

Yup.  Interesting quandary that Schneider finds himself in.  He gave up a ton of draft capital to get the guy -- a move that would only make sense if you sign him long term.  And then you get him in your building and he is not hte player you thought he was.  So, do you look at the picks as a sunk cost and not commit long term to the player, or do you compound the error by overpaying him because of the cost to get him.  

Picks are a sunk cost -- no matter what happens you are not getting them back.  May be best for John Schneider to admit his mistake and not add to it by overpaying.  Will be fun to watch how this drama plays out.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, pointman said:

They didn't expect him to suck. They thought they got themselves a hard hitting DB who can get to the QB. They realized they got a small linebacker who has no wheels, can't cover, can't shed a block, and runs his mouth nonstop. Now they are second guessing paying him what they once thought was worth it. 

You cant do that though.  If you give up 2 firsts for 1 year of play, you will get fired by any competent owner.

If adams walks, that might be the worst trade in nfl history.

Can any name a trade worse then 2 firsts for 1 year at safety?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

You cant do that though.  If you give up 2 firsts for 1 year of play, you will get fired by any competent owner.

If adams walks, that might be the worst trade in nfl history.

Can any name a trade worse then 2 firsts for 1 year at safety?

It was a terrible trade. My low watermark remains Chicago trading a first for Rick Mirer back in the day after 4 years of sucking hard in Seattle. They got three starts out of him (all losses) before dumping.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/7/2021 at 2:41 PM, Alka said:

What is so baffling to me is that when Jamal was with the Jets, he cried bloody murder to whoever would listen.

Now, he is as quiet as a church mouse.  

I really don't get it!

His agent may FINALLY be telling him nobody is writing him checks that big. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bugg said:

His agent may FINALLY be telling him nobody is writing him checks that big. 

There’s like a 90% chance Jamal switches agents after this

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2021 at 12:32 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

I dunno man.  We’ll see.  Narcissists rarely back down.  He demanded, and got, his trade to try to get exactly as much as he thinks he’s worth.  And by getting traded for so much, he and his agent know they have some leverage over Seattle.

This is going to get interesting and entertaining.

I don't know if they'll come to an agreement, but the other issue for Adams is in terms of total dollars the Seahawks will pay far less to just tag him twice. If he's turning down an offer in the $16MM/yr range, that's already a $10MM loss, plus the team isn't on the hook for next year yet. So if Adams's knee explodes on the field (no I'm not rooting for that) ...well their draft picks are gone so that's a sunk cost at this stage, but they'd pay him $10MM for the year and then nothing thereafter. Someone will pick him up, but not at >$16MM/year beginning in 2022.

Or (unless this part of the CBA has changed & I'm just not remembering) if he stays healthy, Seattle's got him at:

  • 2021 $10MM
  • 2022 $12MM
  • 2023 $17MM

In a best-case scenario above, Adams wouldn't see the $18MM+ per year (or maybe it's still $20MM/yr) that he's seeking until 2024 at the earliest, and it's less likely anyone's giving that to him starting at age 29.

Factoring in last year at ~$4MM brings the Seattle/Adams 4-year total to $43MM, assuming he never misses any games to holdouts, which would mean surrendering still-more game checks. The $43MM is also very backloaded, with annual team options and no multi-year guarantees at all; the team's never on the hook for more than the upcoming season. Not worth all those picks they surrendered but it doesn't seem as bad when put into those terms if they got him for below-market rates for 4 seasons from age 25 through 28.

Anyway it's a mess for both sides.

Much laph.

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Guy is so overrated it’s not even funny. Thank God he is not our problem. The Seahawks actually gave us multiple 1st round picks for this guy and then some 😂😂😂😂

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jgb said:

It was a terrible trade. My low watermark remains Chicago trading a first for Rick Mirer back in the day after 4 years of sucking hard in Seattle. They got three starts out of him (all losses) before dumping.

The Herschel Walker trade has to be in your top 2-3, right? 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't know if they'll come to an agreement, but the other issue for Adams is in terms of total dollars the Seahawks will pay far less to just tag him twice. If he's turning down an offer in the $16MM/yr range, that's already a $10MM loss, plus the team isn't on the hook for next year yet. So if Adams's knee explodes on the field (no I'm not rooting for that) ...well their draft picks are gone so that's a sunk cost at this stage, but they'd pay him $10MM for the year and then nothing thereafter. Someone will pick him up, but not at >$16MM/year beginning in 2022.

Or (unless this part of the CBA has changed & I'm just not remembering) if he stays healthy, Seattle's got him at:

  • 2021 $10MM
  • 2022 $12MM
  • 2023 $17MM

In a best-case scenario above, Adams wouldn't see the $18MM+ per year (or maybe it's still $20MM/yr) that he's seeking until 2024 at the earliest, and it's less likely anyone's giving that to him starting at age 29.

Factoring in last year at ~$4MM brings the Seattle/Adams 4-year total to $43MM, assuming he never misses any games to holdouts, which would mean surrendering still-more game checks. The $43MM is also very backloaded, with annual team options and no multi-year guarantees at all; the team's never on the hook for more than the upcoming season. Not worth all those picks they surrendered but it doesn't seem as bad when put into those terms if they got him for below-market rates for 4 seasons from age 25 through 28.

Anyway it's a mess for both sides.

Much laph.

 

I would be so very, very happy if Seattle tagged Jamal Adams twice.  I imagine he'll refuse to play on the first tag if they try, however.

Yes, what a mess.  Love it!  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...