Where contract negotiations between Seahawks, Jamal Adams could hit a snag

Adams thrives as a box safety and set a position record with 9.5 sacks last season. This unique skill set, while leaving some coverage skills to be desired, figures to factor into the 25-year-old defender’s negotiations. The former Jets top-10 pick began extension discussions way back in January 2020, when he was still a Jet, but talks paused and the Jets traded him to Seattle. The Seahawks communicated to Adams a preference he play on his rookie deal last season. Adams did so and made his third straight Pro Bowl. His second NFL team looks set to reward him.

Article says new contract imminent.  So top safety right now I think is at $16 mill/season.  

Over/under on Adams new contract?   Does he hit $20/season?  

Seattle wasting its money, so good for the rest of the league.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

Article says new contract imminent.  So top safety right now I think is at $16 mill/season.  

Over/under on Adams new contract?   Does he hit $20/season?  

Seattle wasting its money, so good for the rest of the league.

i say 17.5 avg. wagner makes $18mn/yr...no way they pay jamal more than him. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, TokyoJetsFan said:

i say 17.5 avg. wagner makes $18mn/yr...no way they pay jamal more than him. 

Ironic.  The Jets would have given him that in the blink of an eye.  Getting my popcorn ready for the Seattle announcement.  Team has a history of giving players #1 salaries at their position. That includes Wagner at the time.  Wagner deal was done in 2019.  2 years later might be enough to go above for Adams.  The Adams trade was franchise suicide for Seattle, but Pete Carroll pretty much gets whatever he wants.  Ultimately, it damages their QB by removing pieces and not putting in better ones.  Seattle, Dallas and the Oakland Raiduhs...  infamous at giving positional highest salaries.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Dcat said:

Ironic.  The Jets would have given him that in the blink of an eye.  Getting my popcorn ready for the Seattle announcement.  Team has a history of giving players #1 salaries at their position. That includes Wagner at the time.  Wagner deal was done in 2019.  2 years later might be enough to go above for Adams.  The Adams trade was franchise suicide for Seattle, but Pete Carroll pretty much gets whatever he wants.  Ultimately, it damages their QB by removing pieces and not putting in better ones.  Seattle, Dallas and the Oakland Raiduhs...  infamous at giving positional highest salaries.

They would have?  

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Adams thrives as a box safety and set a position record with 9.5 sacks last season. This unique skill set, while leaving some coverage skills to be desired, figures to factor into the 25-year-old defender’s 

It’s like having an edge rusher who can’t get to the QB but is pretty stout against the run. From now on we we’ll call that a “ unique skill set.” 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Adams thrives as a box safety and set a position record with 9.5 sacks last season. This unique skill set, while leaving some coverage skills to be desired, figures to factor into the 25-year-old defender’s 

It’s like having an edge rusher who can’t get to the QB but is pretty stout against the run. From now on we we’ll call that a “ unique skill set.” 

A kicker wants to be the highest paid in the league.  He has a big leg and always kicks touchbacks, it's a unique skill set.  He's also converts 60% of his PATs. ?

• Haha 2

lulz.  This is fun.

https://www.sportscasting.com/jamal-adams-teach-seahawks-brutally-expensive-lesson-leverage/

Jamal Adams is About to Teach the Seahawks a Brutally Expensive Lesson on the True Meaning of Leverage

by Stephen Sheehan on June 22, 2021

Just like tackling, contract negotiations all come down to leverage.

Luckily for Jamal Adams, he holds the power to force the Seattle Seahawks to bend to his will. And assuming the franchise doesn’t want to lose the talented defensive back in free agency next offseason, Adams will teach the Seahawks a costly lesson on the true meaning of leverage at some point this summer.

But does that necessarily mean he deserves a record-setting contract? As much attention as Adams generates as a big-name star, the idea of him making anywhere close to $20 million per season seems like an utter disaster for the Seahawks.

Seattle paid a steep price for a player in need of a new deal

The Seahawks needed to find a new leader for their secondary in the post-Legion of Boom era. And they certainly found one last July by making a blockbuster trade for one of the NFL’s most decorated defensive backs.

Seattle sent two first-round picks, a third-round selection, and safety Bradley McDougald to the New York Jets for Adams and a fourth-rounder. Needless to say, the Seahawks paid a premium price to land the No. 6 overall pick from the 2017 NFL draft.

Of course, Adams got dealt because he and the Jets didn’t see eye-to-eye about his value. Coming off a season in which he earned first-team All-Pro honors and his second straight Pro Bowl selection, the 6-foot-1, 214-pound safety reportedly wanted a contract extension that would make him one of the league’s highest-paid defensive players. However, Jets general manager Joe Douglas chose to trade the team’s biggest star rather than give him a record-setting deal.

Meanwhile, the Seahawks did well to secure a young, athletic weapon for their defense. Still, the fact general manager John Schneider gave up such a huge haul for a player in need of a lucrative contract extension made the trade look less palatable from Seattle’s perspective. After all, with Adams angling for quarterback money, it raised questions about whether it made sense for the Seahawks to build their defense around the league’s most expensive safety.

Jamal Adams is about to teach the Seahawks a costly lesson about leverage

Adams only played 12 games in 2020, but he stuffed the stat sheet with 83 tackles (11 for loss), 9.5 sacks, 14 quarterback hits, three passes defended, and one forced fumble. That seemingly increased his value heading into the offseason.

Although Adams got excused from mandatory minicamp, his contract situation remains a major storyline to follow in Seattle. Unfortunately for the Seahawks, they look like they’re about to learn a brutally expensive lesson on the true meaning of leverage. At least, that’s the takeaway based on the latest update from head coach Pete Carroll, who described the situation as “amicable.”

“We recognize that he’s a fantastic football player, and we’re in the midst of — it’s a big contract process,” he said during a press conference last Tuesday. “But I know he knows he’s been treated with a lot of respect and he’s been very respectful toward the club as well. They’ve been good talks and just hasn’t been able to get settled at this point, but it’s coming. We expect him for camp and everything should be fine.”

With Carroll confirming the Seahawks expect to have Adams on the field for training camp, the 25-year-old seems destined to become the highest-paid safety of all time in the coming weeks.

That reflects the reality of the situation: Seattle has no leverage at the negotiating table.

Adams is a perennial All-Pro who lines up all over the field and fills a variety of roles. With plenty of prime years left in the tank, he even has room to grow as a player. The Seahawks simply can’t let him leave in free agency given the amount of draft capital they invested to acquire him. In essence, he can ask for anything he wants without having to worry about not having a fallback option in free agency.

With no leverage against Adams, the Seahawks have to make him happy by meeting his asking price.

Does Adams deserve a record-setting contract?

Adams should nearly double his 2021 salary of $9.86 million on his next contract. But even though it seems set in stone that he will reset the market for his position, it’s fair to question whether he should overtake Justin Simmons as the league’s highest-paid safety.

Unlike the Denver Broncos star, Adams does not excel in pass coverage. While he’s terrific at putting pressure on the quarterback (21.5 sacks, 37 quarterback hits), it’s impossible to ignore he’s recorded only two interceptions in 58 starts. According to Pro Football Reference, Adams allowed a 77.8% completion rate on 45 targets during his first season with the Seahawks. Quarterbacks recorded a rating of 104.7 against him — a stark difference from 2018 (74.7) and 2019 (75.2). His coverage struggles could get further exposed twice a year with Matthew Stafford now leading the Los Angeles Rams.

Adams does make a big impact as a pass rusher and against the run. His physicality and effort stand out on film, so he certainly deserves to get paid like an elite safety. However, if the Seahawks pay him record-setting money, they need him to be a complete player — something he wasn’t in his first year with the team.

With the league in full pass-happy mode, defenses need safeties who have ball skills and the ability to shut down athletic tight ends like Travis Kelce, Darren Waller, and George Kittle. Adams certainly brings value in other areas, but he didn’t impress as a coverage defender last season.

Can he round out his game and improve? Or will he get exposed as more of a box safety?

Let’s see if the Seahawks get their money’s worth.

All contract data courtesy of Spotrac.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

The article is spot on for the most part, but I don't agree that he should be paid like an elite safety with such poor coverage skills. Isn't a safety supposed to have good coverage skills? I can see Franchising him, but not elite money. Then, if he can improve his coverage skills over the next couple of seasons, give him the elite money. But we know that he won't improve these skills, nor will he stand for this. Should be very entertaining to say the least. I just don't understand why the Seahwaks didn't work out a long term contract with him BEFORE completing the trade. Did they think he would change his mind, lol? Incompetent to say the least

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, billo83 said:

The article is spot on for the most part, but I don't agree that he should be paid like an elite safety with such poor coverage skills. Isn't a safety supposed to have good coverage skills? I can see Franchising him, but not elite money. Then, if he can improve his coverage skills over the next couple of seasons, give him the elite money. But we know that he won't improve these skills, nor will he stand for this. Should be very entertaining to say the least. I just don't understand why the Seahwaks didn't work out a long term contract with him BEFORE completing the trade. Did they think he would change his mind, lol? Incompetent to say the least

Ya that was a weird move to trade significant draft capital without trade being contingent on reaching a long term deal. Even the Panthers who gave up significantly less for Darnold picked up that spicy 5th year option which, I predict, will end up costing jobs in Carolina. Strangely, the franchise tag is only like $5M more than the 5th year option. If I was Carolina -- assuming I was overruled and forced to trade for Darnold -- I would not have picked up the option. Better to see a year and franchise him if he plays well and you can't reach a long term deal. Now they are stuck.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

They can franchise him twice.

Adams has no leverage.  

All he can do is cry, but imo, he'll be in camp.  Seattle has the vet leadership to put him in line.  

Adams’ leverage, in a nutshell, is the fact that Seattle got fleeced by the Joe Douglas in that trade. You give up two first rounders+, that dude is supposed to be a cornerstone of your franchise. If they give up on him, it’s an admission of ****ing up with the trade.  

That said, I agree 100% with you. Let him play on the fifth year option this year, and use the tag as leverage against him in the next two - if necessary. He’s a very good player, no doubt, but he’s not a game changer. It may not be great optics for Seattle, but they control him for a lot less than he wants for the next three years. Using the tag is better than throwing good money after bad. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Strangely, the franchise tag is only like $5M more than the 5th year option. If I was Carolina -- assuming I was overruled and forced to trade for Darnold -- I would not have picked up the option. Better to see a year and franchise him if he plays well and you can't reach a long term deal. Now they are stuck.

Makes sense. Would place a lot more pressure on Sammy to ball seeing it would be his "walk" year. If he plays well "TAG" him, if not let him walk. 5th year let's him know that there's another big payday for him next year,

4 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Makes sense. Would place a lot more pressure on Sammy to ball seeing it would be his "walk" year. If he plays well "TAG" him, if not let him walk. 5th year let's him know that there's another big payday for him next year,

I'm really speculating here but maybe CAR bought into the "The Jets failed Darnold" narrative (not such a stretch, they did hand him the starting job, after all) and they believed picking up that option is the jolt of confidence he needs... I'm back to my baseline premise that if you think your FQB needs a "jolt," he ain't a FQB.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

It’s a gamble by the Panthers, but if it pays off they’re negotiating with Darnold from a $25M salary instead of $29-30M. From their perspective, they’re not sending the picks if they don’t believe in him. And by employing that option, they’re telling Darnold they believe in him. That’s no small thing when it comes to trying to put your QB in a comfortable place where he feels the love. They bought into a rehabilitation. They’re buying all in. Sure, Darnold could completely suck once again but, if he’s in the teens this year, it’s not the worst move. If he’s terrible, well... 

12 minutes ago, slats said:

It’s a gamble by the Panthers, but if it pays off they’re negotiating with Darnold from a $25M salary instead of $29-30M. From their perspective, they’re not sending the picks if they don’t believe in him. And by employing that option, they’re telling Darnold they believe in him. That’s no small thing when it comes to trying to put your QB in a comfortable place where he feels the love. They bought into a rehabilitation. They’re buying all in. Sure, Darnold could completely suck once again but, if he’s in the teens this year, it’s not the worst move. If he’s terrible, well... 

It's a stupid gamble and unnecessary risk. If he shows improvement they could always start extension talks during the season to show him the love, which should be earned in the NFL context, while keeping the franchise option in their back pocket. Paying $20M for Darnold in 2022 will, I predict, go down as one of the biggest blunders and unforced errors in recent history.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jgb said:

It's a stupid gamble and unnecessary risk. If he shows improvement they could always start extension talks during the season to show him the love, which should be earned in the NFL context, while keeping the franchise option in their back pocket. Paying $20M for Darnold in 2022 will, I predict, go down as one of the biggest blunders and unforced errors in recent history.

Okay. I’m just saying I understand it. I don’t agree with everything I understand. It’s a risk, as I said. 

• Upvote 1

Seattle cant franchise him until next year.  Jamal Adams is not playing this year until he is made the highest paid safety in the league w/ a long term deal.

People keep mentioning the franchise tag but that is never coming into play because Jamal is never stepping foot in Seattle again until he has a long term deal that makes him the highest paid safety in the league.

7 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Seattle cant franchise him until next year.  Jamal Adams is not playing this year until he is made the highest paid safety in the league w/ a long term deal.

People keep mentioning the franchise tag but that is never coming into play because Jamal is never stepping foot in Seattle again until he has a long term deal that makes him the highest paid safety in the league.

The right way to deal with Jamal is to offer him a Ricky Williams contract that could hypothetically make him the highest paid player in the NFL if he hits absurd performance metrics. I bet he'd get real quiet if he was asked to be compensated on a pay-for-performance model.