2022's draft could become the perfect storm to trade down (for a Kings ransom).

Only because this years upcoming QB draft class seems to be fully loaded. 

This year we couldn't afford the luxury of trading back from #2 overall due to Joe Douglas desperately needing to find ourselves a Franchise QB hopeful (Zach Wilson). 

However if either one of the Jets (or hopefully Seattle) finishes with a top 5 draft pick? A trade down (to a desperate QB needy team) for a Kings ransom would be awesome. 

(In no specific order);

Sam Howell (UNC). 

Spencer Rattler (Oklahoma). 

Kedon Slovis (USC). 

Desmond Ridder (Cincinnati). 

Malik Willis (Liberty). 

Tyler Shough (Texas Tech). 

Matt Corral (Mississippi). 

J.T Daniels (Georgia). 

I could be missing a few but these kids (above) seem to be the 8 names that are red hot heading into 2021's NCAA season (and I'll be rooting for all of them to absolutely ball out next year).  

Throughout the previous four draft(s) 1st round QBs have been flying off the boards (early and often) like never before. 

2018: Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Josh Allen, Josh Rosen and Lamar Jackson (5). 

2019: Kyler Murray, Daniel Jones and  Dwayne Haskins (3). 

2020: Joe Burrow, Tua Tagovailoa, Justin Herbert and Jordan Love (4). 

2021: Trevor Lawrence, Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, Justin Fields and Mac Jones (5)

And I'd love for this trend to continue come 2022's NFL draft. 

Because if either one of our Jets or Seattle finishes with a top 5 pick? We could be sitting on a (future) landmine full of future draft capital (with a trade down). 

And the best part about potentially trading away our highest 2022 1st round draft pick?

Is that even after receiving a Kings ransom; we'll still have another 2022 1st round pick in order utilize alongside of Becton/Mims/Zach Wilson/Alijah Vera-Tucker/1st round pick. 

2021 can't come soon enough!

• Upvote 1

Trueee but hope we don’t end up with a top 5 pick because I want Wilson and team confidence/moral to be high. 

if there’s a way to get a top 5 pick and have at least 6 wins I’d take that tho lol. 

hopefully there is an excess of blue chip players next year considering there is likely more players to opt in for draft than in this past one. 

Guest Big Truth
On 6/8/2021 at 7:27 PM, Be_a_Jet said:

Trueee but hope we don’t end up with a top 5 pick because I want Wilson and team confidence/moral to be high. 

if there’s a way to get a top 5 pick and have at least 6 wins I’d take that tho lol. 

hopefully there is an excess of blue chip players next year considering there is likely more players to opt in for draft than in this past one. 

Boss- I see what you are saying but don't see it happening.  Look at the Jets last year- they had inept coaching.  The Jets will be a 5-12 team- likely picking  7th. I think Seattle will have major issues- but a team like that with issues goes 7-10. I can actually see the opposite.  The Jets via the draft and  UDFAs- have actually amassed a great deal of young talent on both the starting  and depth level.  Come this year the Jets will have 20 players on the roster acquired over the past 2 drafts and UDFAs period.  That is actually very good.  If a Chase Young type franchise edge rusher emerges I can see the Jets actually trading those 2 picks to get up to 3 or 4  two land them.  Think about it- Becton, AVT, Edoga, Clark, Saltes, Hoge, Wilson, Mims, Moore, Berrios, Cager, Yeboah, Carter, Johnson, Perine, then on defense Williams, F.F., Davis, Zuniga, Huff, Rashad, Hall, Guidry, Carter II, Pinnoch, Echols, Dunn, Sherwood, Nasirildeen. Then add the wild cards that may thrive in the new system- Herndon, Wesco, and Blake Cashman.  The UDFAs I mentioned won't all stick around- but they all have connections to Douglas as projects and will be given every opportunity.  Says Maybe gets an extension and the Jets could conceivably go into next year's draft with more than 30 players on the roster acquired in the past 3 years.  That is when the Jets can take the risk and  trade up for a guy they think is a gold jacket edge rusher.

On 6/8/2021 at 6:27 PM, Be_a_Jet said:

Russel Wilson gets injured behind that O Line, and Seattle falls apart like Dallas did.

• Upvote 1

Agreed.  I think having 2 firsts and 2 seconds we will trade down with at least one of them.  We know Joe loves having extra picks and he will probably want more high picks on 2023.  Personally I think the Seattle pick is going to be much higher this year.  I think we will be better but probably in the lower teens.  Good spot for us to be in 

This past draft, we needed to upgrade something like 12 of our 22 starters.

This next draft, with a little good fortune, we should be looking at upgrading closer to 5.  Maybe 1 OL, 1 TE, 1 LB and another defensive starter or two.  Given that, I think it depends on what's on the board with our first pick.  If we have a chance to move UP to get a monster pass rushing talent, that might be the move.  Otherwise, moving down certainly could be a nice option, but with an entire college season, NFL season and free agency period between now and then, it's just too soon to even guess.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/7/2021 at 4:42 PM, Defense Wins Championships said:

O

Sam Howell (UNC). 

Spencer Rattler (Oklahoma). 

Kedon Slovis (USC). 

Desmond Ridder (Cincinnati). 

Malik Willis (Liberty). 

Tyler Shough (Texas Tech). 

Matt Corral (Mississippi). 

J.T Daniels (Georgia). 

Will be an interesting QB draft class to watch from the sidelines. This is why, had we plodded forward with Darnold for 1 more year, I wasn't stressing about options. 

Howell and Rattler have vacuumed up the air space so far, but Shough (for me for sure), Willis and Carson Strong (you left off, from Nevada) are all very interesting prospects. I suspect this draft class will be the final changing of the guard  (what's left of the old regime; Big Ben, Brady, Ryan). 

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Paradis said:

Will be an interesting QB draft class to watch from the sidelines. This is why, had we plodded forward with Darnold for 1 more year, I wasn't stressing about options. 

Howell and Rattler have vacuumed up the air space so far, but Shough (for me for sure), Willis and Carson Strong (you left off, from Nevada) are all very interesting prospects. I suspect this draft class will be the final changing of the guard  (what's left of the old regime; Big Ben, Brady, Ryan). 

Yes man. There are literally 6-7 QB being drafted throughout every 1st round mock which means some awesome players will fall right into JD's lap.

• Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2021 at 5:21 PM, Larz said:

Actually you want a just a few QBs 

if there are 6 legit QBs it dilutes the value of a pick 

Maybe, maybe not. So many teams still hunting for a QB and many teams still have question marks with their starting QB’s. All those QB’s on that list are potentially first rounders. And we know how desperate some teams can get when they need a QB.  

On 6/9/2021 at 8:49 PM, Guest Big Truth said:

Boss- I see what you are saying but don't see it happening.  Look at the Jets last year- they had inept coaching.  The Jets will be a 5-12 team- likely picking  7th. I think Seattle will have major issues- but a team like that with issues goes 7-10. I can actually see the opposite.  The Jets via the draft and  UDFAs- have actually amassed a great deal of young talent on both the starting  and depth level.  Come this year the Jets will have 20 players on the roster acquired over the past 2 drafts and UDFAs period.  That is actually very good.  If a Chase Young type franchise edge rusher emerges I can see the Jets actually trading those 2 picks to get up to 3 or 4  two land them.  Think about it- Becton, AVT, Edoga, Clark, Saltes, Hoge, Wilson, Mims, Moore, Berrios, Cager, Yeboah, Carter, Johnson, Perine, then on defense Williams, F.F., Davis, Zuniga, Huff, Rashad, Hall, Guidry, Carter II, Pinnoch, Echols, Dunn, Sherwood, Nasirildeen. Then add the wild cards that may thrive in the new system- Herndon, Wesco, and Blake Cashman.  The UDFAs I mentioned won't all stick around- but they all have connections to Douglas as projects and will be given every opportunity.  Says Maybe gets an extension and the Jets could conceivably go into next year's draft with more than 30 players on the roster acquired in the past 3 years.  That is when the Jets can take the risk and  trade up for a guy they think is a gold jacket edge rusher.

We may be out of reach for the top 2 edge guys but I could definitely see JD trading up to get one he really likes. It’s an absolute must to stockpile pass rushers in this defense. 

On 7/17/2021 at 1:33 PM, Maynard13 said:

We may be out of reach for the top 2 edge guys but I could definitely see JD trading up to get one he really likes. It’s an absolute must to stockpile pass rushers in this defense. 

Yup. 

JD traded Jamal's 1st round pick and Jamal's 3rd round pick from Seattle in order to trade up for Alijah Vera-Tucker so I can easily picture JD trading Jamal's 1st round pick + Sam Darnold's 2nd round pick in order to draft Kayvon Thibodeaux. 

But on the other hand I can also picture him trading back with our best 1st round pick in order to receive an absolute haul for a QB desperate team. 

Regardless two 1st round picks and two 2nd round picks (+ our 3rd round pick) means JD is in the drivers seat and can't go wrong.

• Like 1
On 7/7/2021 at 1:27 PM, Paradis said:

Liberty isn't exactly a showcase school but I think Malik Willis is the guy who is going to blow up in 2021 and find himself as a top 5 pick. His physical traits are tantalizing. I wouldn't be shocked if he ended up ahead of Howell or Rattler depending on how they play out. Interviews could be important.

If you watch QB1 Rattler really left a lot to be desired -- don't want to pile on a (at the time) HS kid but I'd be terrified to turn over the keys of my org to that guy.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Liberty isn't exactly a showcase school but I think Malik Willis is the guy who is going to blow up in 2021 and find himself as a top 5 pick. His physical traits are tantalizing. I wouldn't be shocked if he ended up ahead of Howell or Rattler depending on how they play out. Interviews could be important.

If you watch QB1 Rattler really left a lot to be desired -- don't want to pile on a (at the time) HS kid but I'd be terrified to turn over the keys of my org to that guy.

Good stuff. 

I haven't watched enough Rattler (with scrutiny) to have a strong opinion. He has his fans, but at first blush i agree. I think he's stock is shaky. Howell, less so, but still not bullet proof. Neither should be anywhere near "generational" labels. 

Willis is def gonna be a thing. He's not on Lamar/Murray's level Athletically; has a better touch on the ball - a true "dual threat". Reminded me of mini-Cam in his Auburn days. 

Dont' sleep on Carson! He's got NFL arm talent for sure... no idea where he's at developmentally on the nuances of the position (vs just another merc with a hose) but he shows a lot on the touch/ball placement side of things. Arrow is firmly pointed up. 

• Upvote 1
On 6/8/2021 at 5:21 PM, Larz said:

Actually you want a just a few QBs 

if there are 6 legit QBs it dilutes the value of a pick 

But there are so many ancient qb’s that will be retiring soon so teams would be wise to draft their successor sooner rather than later. Steelers, Lions, Texans, Broncos, Rams, WFT, Falcons, Panthers?, Bucs, Seahawks. And then you have other teams that might grab one early and give up on their current starter like the Giants or Raiders or Saints. That’s a lot  of teams who may be in play and desperate for a QB. Seems that while there are a surplus of quality QB’s that will come out, there are equally a surplus of teams that need to draft one. And we all know, teams will always reach for a QB when they need one. Basic Adam Smith economics. 

• Post of the Week 1
18 hours ago, Paradis said:

Good stuff. 

I haven't watched enough Rattler (with scrutiny) to have a strong opinion. He has his fans, but at first blush i agree. I think he's stock is shaky. Howell, less so, but still not bullet proof. Neither should be anywhere near "generational" labels. 

Willis is def gonna be a thing. He's not on Lamar/Murray's level Athletically; has a better touch on the ball - a true "dual threat". Reminded me of mini-Cam in his Auburn days. 

Dont' sleep on Carson! He's got NFL arm talent for sure... no idea where he's at developmentally on the nuances of the position (vs just another merc with a hose) but he shows a lot on the touch/ball placement side of things. Arrow is firmly pointed up. 

I read an article regarding Strong and he said his goal is to have an 85% completion percentage this season..Lol.  Nice aspiration, but I hope he doesn’t allow that to influence how he plays too much.  He’s an interesting kid though.  I have the same doubts about Rattler, he’s getting a HUGE bump because he’s the Oklahoma QB, but he would scare me at the top of the draft.  

We’ve seen a lot of offense at the top of the draft recently, but after looking at potentially what this class could look like, I think the top 10 will be dominated by defense.  I don’t see the WRs that could go that high, and right now don’t see many OTs, aside from Neal, that will go very high.  Lots of edge and CBs.  

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

I read an article regarding Strong and he said his goal is to have an 85% completion percentage this season..Lol.  Nice aspiration, but I hope he doesn’t allow that to influence how he plays too much.  He’s an interesting kid though.  I have the same doubts about Rattler, he’s getting a HUGE bump because he’s the Oklahoma QB, but he would scare me at the top of the draft.  

We’ve seen a lot of offense at the top of the draft recently, but after looking at potentially what this class could look like, I think the top 10 will be dominated by defense.  I don’t see the WRs that could go that high, and right now don’t see many OTs, aside from Neal, that will go very high.  Lots of edge and CBs.  

85 hey? lol good luck. Love the mentality, but he strikes me as more a fit for Bruce Arians than Bill Walsh. 

Haven't peaked too far into the future on D-prospects yet. I have sneaky/optimistic suspicion our secondary will better than advertised. We could be in a... dare I say, let the board slide to us place next april? 

• Upvote 1
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.