Jets in on OT Moses

On 6/13/2021 at 10:34 AM, whodeawhodat said:

just a few weeks ago we were discussing how you cant just move players around the oline at any postion and some are talking about sliding fant inside?  

I missed that talk and agree that it isn't a slam dunk that you can just move guys successfully.  On the other hand, it happens damn near all the time since the start.  I remember complaining about that when the Jets brought Woody over.  He was a center and then a failed guard.   The Jets brought him in to play RT.  Douglas has been stressing a versatile line all along.  These guys should be pretty well suited to moving around.  I think it makes sense to get your best 5 on the field and it is good since guys miss games every year.

1 hour ago, RichardTodd27 said:

I agree this might be the case (although I believe Fisher already signed with the Colts).

But to be honest, I hope they do get some insurance for Becton. His size is an issue and it's why a lot of us prefferred to draft Whirf instead of him.

You're right; I didn't notice he'd signed last month.

18 minutes ago, football guy said:

Moses (as well as the other veterans) are taking the right approach by waiting, and I think some may even pull what Logan Ryan did and wait beyond training camp. If someone gets hurt between now and the start of the regular season, he'll be the first guy they call to sign to a big 1-year deal. Right now his leverage is limited. The question becomes how much does he value getting into a program early to get accustomed with his new teammates. For a guy like him whose widely respected around the league both by players and coaching staffs, I wouldn't think he feels too pressured to sign unless he gets what he wants. 

I'd love to see the Jets sign him, and maybe they will give him what he wants. This is a team/front office who seem not to care about pigeonholing themselves the way they had under Gase by allowing veterans to dictate the lineup; I think they want a team of guys without egos, and if that means an established guy losing his job to someone else (i.e. Crowder to Berrios/Moore or Fant to Moses) so be it. With that said, if the Jets did sign Moses early it wouldn't shock me to see them cross train both he and Fant in training camp to see if either can play RGbecause this blocking scheme traditionally asks the RG to play horizontally (like a tackle), whereas the LG is more vertical. 

Ultimately, I want the Jets to surround the QB with weapons and protection. If they add Moses and it means Fant is an overpaid swing-tackle so be it; I'd rather sleep well at night knowing the QB is going to have a ton of depth among his supporting cast rather than wonder how it will impact an individual player's (or their teammates) attitude towards being benched. 

Amen. Well said.

5 hours ago, football guy said:

Moses (as well as the other veterans) are taking the right approach by waiting, and I think some may even pull what Logan Ryan did and wait beyond training camp. If someone gets hurt between now and the start of the regular season, he'll be the first guy they call to sign to a big 1-year deal. Right now his leverage is limited. The question becomes how much does he value getting into a program early to get accustomed with his new teammates. For a guy like him whose widely respected around the league both by players and coaching staffs, I wouldn't think he feels too pressured to sign unless he gets what he wants. 

I'd love to see the Jets sign him, and maybe they will give him what he wants. This is a team/front office who seem not to care about pigeonholing themselves the way they had under Gase by allowing veterans to dictate the lineup; I think they want a team of guys without egos, and if that means an established guy losing his job to someone else (i.e. Crowder to Berrios/Moore or Fant to Moses) so be it. With that said, if the Jets did sign Moses early it wouldn't shock me to see them cross train both he and Fant in training camp to see if either can play RGbecause this blocking scheme traditionally asks the RG to play horizontally (like a tackle), whereas the LG is more vertical. 

Ultimately, I want the Jets to surround the QB with weapons and protection. If they add Moses and it means Fant is an overpaid swing-tackle so be it; I'd rather sleep well at night knowing the QB is going to have a ton of depth among his supporting cast rather than wonder how it will impact an individual player's (or their teammates) attitude towards being benched. 

I could see the Jets paying a little more for Moses to shore up the OL even more, especially since Saleh once again confirmed that they really have no plan for a backup QB and quite possible no veterans in the secondary either.

I am of the opinion that we should sign Moses to a three year deal with some flexibility. To me continuity is a the key to a elite o line so if they can sign Moses for a good deal you gave the o line in place for a number of years. Don’t want to constantly have the o line in flux as has been the case for the past couple of years 

• Upvote 1

On 6/15/2021 at 11:29 PM, BigRy56 said:

It would be cool to see us start Moses at RT and plug Fant in as a blocking tight end in running situations. I think Rex used do this this way back when if I remember correctly

Why would you want to copy anything that loudmouth clown ever did?

• Thumb Down 1