Jump to content

OT- momentum rapidly growing for expansion of CFB playoffs to 8 or more..


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Ruby2 said:

6 teams with the top 2 getting byes is perfect imo. If a group of 5 team can't make it to the top 6, then they dont deserve a spot imo.

Not getting in to the top 6 of a subjective committee's vote isn't something the G5 should have to deal with.  

Conference champs deserve a shot in the "dance", just like they do in college basketball.  The P5's already have the money/resources and essentially run things with the NCAA's approval.  Which is fine.  All the G5 teams are asking for is one slot in the tournament.  It's a small price for the P5 to pay. 

Remember that great Boise St / Oklahoma bowl from years ago?  It was so memorable because it was finally a chance for a non-P5 to show what it could do.  Those chances don't exist in a playoff that keeps them out and bowls people now no longer care about.  Expansion to include at least one G5 team is necessary and right.  Every team in FBS should, theoretically, have a chance at a national title every season.  That's how tournament/playoff systems are supposed to work.  And hence why 8 or 12 teams is the way to go.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Not getting in to the top 6 of a subjective committee's vote isn't something the G5 should have to deal with.  

Conference champs deserve a shot in the "dance", just like they do in college basketball.  The P5's already have the money/resources and essentially run things with the NCAA's approval.  Which is fine.  All the G5 teams are asking for is one slot in the tournament.  It's a small price for the P5 to pay.  

Remember that great Boise St / Oklahoma bowl from years ago?  It was so memorable because it was finally a chance for a non-P5 to show what it could do.  Those chances don't exist in a playoff that keeps them out and bowls people now no longer care about.  Expansion to include at least one G5 team is necessary and right.  

I hear you. I just think if you open up to 6 you will naturally get deserving G5 teams in. Dont think we need 12 or even 8 to get that when those last couple teams would have statistically zero chance at winning it all.

Maybe a possibility is getting rid of conference championships? Idk i dont buy that conf champs automatically get a spot. Penn State correctly didnt deserve a spot in 2016. Same goes for Oregon last year. Neither of those teams would have any chance at winning it all. It's not a dance in CFB, just the nature of the sport. To pretend that teams ranked 7-12 in the country have any shot at a title is just ignoring the reality of the game. Its different than NCAAB.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ruby2 said:

I hear you. I just think if you open up to 6 you will naturally get deserving G5 teams in. Dont think we need 12 or even 8 to get that when those last couple teams would have statistically zero chance at winning it all.

6 doesn't work, because the committee would still end up giving all 6 spots to P5 schools.  And if 1/6 is guaranteed to go to the best G5, then the P5 will freak out because that means not every P5 conference is guaranteed a spot while a G5 is.  

8 or 12 makes everyone happy.  And no one cares that App St is gonna get crushed by Alabama eventually in these tournaments.  It matters symbolically and financially that these teams get chances.  Just 1 win in a playoff format by a G5 would have a tremendous impact on that school and their conference.  Just like it does in the NCAA Basketball tournament.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

6 doesn't work, because the committee would still end up giving all 6 spots to P5 schools.  And if 1/6 is guaranteed to go to the best G5, then the P5 will freak out because that means not every P5 conference is guaranteed a spot while a G5 is.  

8 or 12 makes everyone happy.  And no one cares that App St is gonna get crushed by Alabama eventually in these tournaments.  It matters symbolically and financially that these teams get chances.  Just 1 win in a playoff format by a G5 would have a tremendous impact on that school and their conference.  Just like it does in the NCAA Basketball tournament.  

They should force P5 teams to schedule worthy G5 teams. The problem is in the conferences. And im sure they never will agree to that, so again I totally get what you are saying regarding G5 getting the short end of the stick, just going to 12 is making a mockery of what CFB really is about imo. Like this clearly isnt perfect now for all the reasons previously discussed, but I think 12 teams in a playoff would be even worse, again for the reasons previously mentioned.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ruby2 said:

They should force P5 teams to schedule worthy G5 teams. The problem is in the conferences. And im sure they never will agree to that, so again I totally get what you are saying regarding G5 getting the short end of the stick, just going to 12 is making a mockery of what CFB really is about imo. Like this clearly isnt perfect now for all the reasons previously discussed, but I think 12 teams in a playoff would be even worse, again for the reasons previously mentioned.

They never will.  Hence why you need a tournament like this that forces these games to happen.

At any time, the P5's can take their ball and go home, forming a league of their own.  The NCAA is terrified of this, so they're always very careful about their policies.  They'll never get involved in making decisions regarding regular season scheduling.  But the postseason is their territory and always has been.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...