Do we give Christopher J a Mulligan on Gase and WTH was Peyton thinking?

Man, sorry Chris, but major messup but you put in bad situation so we 'maybe' you a mulligan on the hire. You got fan-boyed by Mannings call and that gave you instant reason to hire and built in excuse if he failed )Peyton said he was great)

What the hell did Manning see in this clown? It was 100% obvious he was out of his element. Did Manning just do this for a favor? If so, he screwed a fanbase over it. Anyone watching Manning knows he called all his plays and a Peyton Manning OC does nothing but generalized film scouting week pre-game and get Peytons Coffee and Breakfast burrito.

I cant fathom Manning that dumb as far as whether Gase was a XsOs stud. He did a friend a favor but set a franchise back 5 years.

18 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

No pass.

Hired Gase. Kept Mac.

And the "uniform redesign" pitch he greenlit was one PowerPoint slide:

Gumby - America's Beloved Claymation Character

But the silver lining here is that Chrissy was so incompetent, Joe D was able to institute a Magna Carta type check on ownership power within this franchise. 

there you go,, maybe in long term that will end up serving team very well

• Upvote 1

Realistic perspective: Manning is going to call in a favor for anyone, it's better for his personal brand and reputation. Plus, there was probably an exchange of gifts/motivation.

Jet fan perspective: Manning loves to eff the Jets. He didn't it as a prospect. He did it as a player. He has now done it as a retired player. The only redeeming quality he has is that forehead and the fact he loved to eff the Pats more.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SouthernJet said:

Man, sorry Chris, but major messup but you put in bad situation so we 'maybe' you a mulligan on the hire. You got fan-boyed by Mannings call and that gave you instant reason to hire and built in excuse if he failed )Peyton said he was great)

What the hell did Manning see in this clown? It was 100% obvious he was out of his element. Did Manning just do this for a favor? If so, he screwed a fanbase over it. Anyone watching Manning knows he called all his plays and a Peyton Manning OC does nothing but generalized film scouting week pre-game and get Peytons Coffee and Breakfast burrito.

I cant fathom Manning that dumb as far as whether Gase was a XsOs stud. He did a friend a favor but set a franchise back 5 years.

no man GIF

• Upvote 1

actually it was gase who recruited douglas - yes chris made the hire but without gase no douglas - at least till next offseason - gase pulled power play on mac and won - to think douglas took the job based on gase head coach and darnold franchise qb- don’t think he thought he’d have to fire one and trade the other - funny how things work out and if jets win a super bowl with douglas as gm it will have started with gase - ultimate irony - and yes chris johnson trusted gase enough to play ball - you can’t make this stuff up

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

I have a completely different opinion, albeit a possibly unpopular take.

Things are looking up for the Jets Organization for the first time in years BECAUSE of Christopher Johnson, not in spite of Christopher Johnson.

Hear me out.

CJ running the Jets was a totally different feel and obviously he was learning on the job. If you were paying attention and you go through the timeline, very unlike his brother he listened to the fans he listened to the players he listened to the complaints.

When he went out arm-in-arm to show Unity with the rest of the players that said something to me. Unlike Woodrow he's not just about money and the back pages.

Did he make mistakes? Obviously! He also made Corrections. In my opinion he related way more to the players and fans than his older brother.

None of us know the conversations that happened behind closed doors but there was a whole lot of turnover in the entire organization during his time at the helm resulting in what we're seeing right now.

For The First Time in Forever our general manager is running the team and hired his own head coach and they drafted their first-round quarterback together. This is because of Chris Johnson not in spite of him.

Btw lots of teams in the league have changed their uniforms over the years and it has sucked. It's really a small detail and can be changed. What is important is that he listened and cut out the dysfunctional way the organization was run.

Now there are no guarantees that the moves he made will bring us to the Superbowl, but at least it's not as ass-backwards as it was.

Everybody seems to like the GM the Head Coach and the QB...so Instead of focusing on the man's mistakes, let's focus on the corrections he made.

GO Jets!

That's my peace.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Absolutely not!  The hiring of Adam Gase was one of the worst executive decisions in NFL history.  It did unspeakable damage to this organization.  Peyton Manning has zero connection or loyalty to the Jets.  His hiring recommendations should be ignored.  The man coached a team in our division.  His best players despised him and couldn't get out of there fast enough.  The worst thing the Jets could ever do is let Chris Johnson make any decisions beyond management of the concession stands.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

11 hours ago, kdels62 said:

The guy in his first managerial decision made a mistake. He pivoted and learned from that mistake. He then hired Douglas, and understood the importance of changing the reporting structure and the process for head coaching hires. The dude learned and he set up the foundation of this bright future. He’s cool with me.

You mean the first mistake after giving Bowles and Maccagnan extensions a year earlier?

No mulligan: 5 years laboring on a chain gang. And Woody should get at least a few himself for putting Fredo in charge in the first place.

• Post of the Week 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, SouthernJet said:

Well said. 

200w.gif

44 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You mean the first mistake after giving Bowles and Maccagnan extensions a year earlier?

No mulligan: 5 years laboring on a chain gang. And Woody should get at least a few himself for putting Fredo in charge in the first place.

Didn’t stick to his guns and made changes after initial failure. He proceeded to completely change the management team at Jets Drive when he finally get comfortable enough to say “my brother’s advisors are bad.”

27 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Didn’t stick to his guns and made changes after initial failure. He proceeded to completely change the management team at Jets Drive when he finally get comfortable enough to say “my brother’s advisors are bad.”

He did?

My recollection was that it was because he didn't know what he was doing himself. I take CJ at his own word, which he publicly admitted, that he was in over his head. First when he extended both of them, and then when he retained one a year later. 

The only reason Douglas is even here is because of dumb luck: that Gase was enough of a dick to push for Maccagnan to get fired, plus happened to have enough of a past, direct connection to Douglas to get him interested in the job before that.

Left to Chris Johnson's devices alone, Maccagnan would arguably still be the GM. Or if not Maccagnan, potentially someone else even worse, since he doesn't know anybody and doesn't know anything himself. Following that, there'd be the next loser coach to take over for him, under the guidance of the next boob GM. This should be more than obvious by now. 

You don't just gloss over 3 more wasted seasons (the last one with Bowles after his undeserved extension, plus two more with Gase) as some means to an end. There were other, and better, ways of achieving a team's goals; ways that didn't involve wasting all of that time.

And by the way the team hasn't achieved or won anything yet, except the excitement new potential. So I'll accept an extra 4-5 wasted years as a necessary means to an end if and only if they soon win a SB with this current group. 

• Upvote 2

all of this is just water under the bridge at this point.  we just have to look at douglas and saleh objectively and see how the team pans out in a season or two.  this year they could surprise but that would be getting to far ahead of oneself.

right now i am more concerned about the left tackle possibly having bad feet.  sure he's only one player at this point but this oline needs good personnel and consistency for a couple of seasons to really be good.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He did?

My recollection was that it was because he didn't know what he was doing himself. I take CJ at his own word, which he publicly admitted, that he was in over his head. First when he extended both of them, and then when he retained one a year later. 

The only reason Douglas is even here is because of dumb luck: that Gase was enough of a dick to push for Maccagnan to get fired, plus happened to have enough of a past, direct connection to Douglas to get him interested in the job before that.

Left to Chris Johnson's devices alone, Maccagnan would arguably still be the GM. Or if not Maccagnan, potentially someone else even worse, since he doesn't know anybody and doesn't know anything himself. Following that, there'd be the next loser coach to take over for him, under the guidance of the next boob GM. This should be more than obvious by now. 

You don't just gloss over 3 more wasted seasons (the last one with Bowles after his undeserved extension, plus two more with Gase) as some means to an end. There were other, and better, ways of achieving a team's goals; ways that didn't involve wasting all of that time.

And by the way the team hasn't achieved or won anything yet, except the excitement new potential. So I'll accept an extra 4-5 wasted years as a necessary means to an end if and only if they soon win a SB with this current group. 

He could’ve plug his ears and said “No, I retained Macc for a reason.” He listened to the football guy in the room and it led him to Joe Douglas. Then he listened Joe Douglas and restructured the football ops. He did this while firing Neil Glatt and revamping the business ops side of things. CJ didn’t know what he didn’t know until he experienced what he did and he learned from it. He delegated to football minds and the team is trending positively as a result. 

All of it might be bad but the last year has been good process under CJ.

Gase Fired Mac, hired Douglas.  He told Johnson to roll over, give him his paw and sit.  Gave him a milk bone and proceeded to sh*t the bed as HC.  

Gase was a great hire.  He got a Great GM, put the GM in charge of the HC and vacated the HC position in 2 years.  Johnson gets a pass because he's a product of over breeding not because he hired Gase.  He absolutely lucked into Gase. 

14 hours ago, ncjetman said:

actually it was gase who recruited douglas - yes chris made the hire but without gase no douglas - at least till next offseason - gase pulled power play on mac and won - to think douglas took the job based on gase head coach and darnold franchise qb- don’t think he thought he’d have to fire one and trade the other - funny how things work out and if jets win a super bowl with douglas as gm it will have started with gase - ultimate irony - and yes chris johnson trusted gase enough to play ball - you can’t make this stuff up

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

The fact that he took the job with Gase and Darnold there, but was able to be objective and cut bait on both of them for the good of the team says a lot about Douglas. 

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

He could’ve plug his ears and said “No, I retained Macc for a reason.” He listened to the football guy in the room and it led him to Joe Douglas. Then he listened Joe Douglas and restructured the football ops. He did this while firing Neil Glatt and revamping the business ops side of things. CJ didn’t know what he didn’t know until he experienced what he did and he learned from it. He delegated to football minds and the team is trending positively as a result. 

All of it might be bad but the last year has been good process under CJ.

I'm amazed anyone believes he was anything other than a disaster. It is not a good thing to fully waste the past 3 NFL seasons and strain oneself to rationalize it because it seems we're exiting from the disaster he oversaw.

Chris Johnson is an imbecile who was wholly unqualified for even temporary stewardship of the team. Any number of casual fans would have done a better job. 

If he was so wonderful he'd have told his brother, "Hey, I don't think I should be in charge here. I don't have the slightest clue what I'm doing and don't know anyone who does."

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

14 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I'm amazed anyone believes he was anything other than a disaster. It is not a good thing to fully waste the past 3 NFL seasons and strain oneself to rationalize it because it seems we're exiting from the disaster he oversaw.

Chris Johnson is an imbecile who was wholly unqualified for even temporary stewardship of the team. Any number of casual fans would have done a better job. 

If he was so wonderful he'd have told his brother, "Hey, I don't think I should be in charge here. I don't have the slightest clue what I'm doing and don't know anyone who does."

My reasoning is simple. I don’t pretend that the world of billionaires with play things functions like the rest of the world. Also who would CJ have given power to? Neil Glatt? Mike Mccagnan? What if Woody then handed the reins over to some other ego soaked under qualified executive? It’s not like CJ came here and steered the ship from salvation to the grave. CJ came into a team in disarray with bad management and bad results for years before he took over. Should he have realized that the structure of the organization was bad immediately? Probably. Instead of making changes he did the tame patient thing and it failed. His next time up, he changed the approach and uprooted the old system. I’m okay with that for now. 

29 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Inherited billionaires and self-awareness go together like cocaine and a buffet dinner.

4 hours ago, TMAC said:

Absolutely not!  The hiring of Adam Gase was one of the worst executive decisions in NFL history.  It did unspeakable damage to this organization.  Peyton Manning has zero connection or loyalty to the Jets.  His hiring recommendations should be ignored.  The man coached a team in our division.  His best players despised him and couldn't get out of there fast enough.  The worst thing the Jets could ever do is let Chris Johnson make any decisions beyond management of the concession stands.

Not just ignored... do the total opposite!

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

From the day the Jets hired Maccagnan until the day they hired Saleh was pretty much a complete waste of time. 

• Upvote 3