Keeping up with Joe and the Jets; Who’s Staying? Who’s Going? Who Might be Coming?

Jamison Crowder

For a time of year that’s generally quiet on the personnel front as most rosters are pretty much settled, Jets GM Joe Douglas has quite a few major moves (or potential moves) that he and the Jets brass are mulling over.  Douglas has current starters who could be playing their final days in Green and White, or who could be working away on a multi-year extension.  Then there’s also the matter of waiting to  hear back from some free agents who could step in and by day 1 starters.  Here’s a run down of what we know.

S Marcus Maye: At the conclusion of the NFL draft, Douglas said publicly that the team was going to “dive into” working on a new deal for Marcus Maye with the draft wrapped up.  Forty days later and there’s still no deal.

Joe Douglas said the Jets have had productive texts with Marcus Maye’s agent regarding an extension. Douglas said extending Maye remains priority and “we’re hoping to really dive into this now that the draft is over.”

— Andy Vasquez (@andy_vasquez) May 1, 2021

Given the fact that Maye plays a non-premium position where the market is set, failure to get a deal done in almost a month and a half could be telling.  The ceiling for safeties right now is just over $15 million per year (Justin Simmons) with middle-of-the-pack guys making around $8 million.  If Maye wants top 5 money ($14 million and up), it’s fair to say he won’t get it from Douglas and the Jets.  Given the time it has taken to not get a deal done, it looks as if both sides are standing firm.  The Jets need Maye this season, but could be willing to move on from him after playing out his franchise tag deal, removing any sense of urgency or willing to pay more than what they’ve already offered.

WR Jamison Crowder: From the outside, this situation looks to have been unnecessary and totally avoidable.  All we’ve heard from the team is that Crowder was not at OTA’s while he and Douglas work on his contract.  What kind of “work” is it?  Well the team won’t say publicly, but if the guy is staying home, a pay cut would make the most sense.  Crowder is due to count for roughly $11 million against the cap this season but the team could save $10 million by cutting him loose.  With that kind of leverage, the Jets, who are sitting on $27 million in cap space, might be trying to strong-arm a pay cut from one of the few proven pass catchers on the roster.

Yes, the Jets added Elijah Moore in the draft, making Crowder expendable, but why not keep him under his current deal and go in to the season with outstanding depth at wide receiver?  Some have suggested Crowder may be working on an extension, but this would be an odd reason to completely sit out OTA’s.  If that were the case, why not attend for classroom portions and sit out drills to avoid injury while working on a new deal?

If Crowder is released or traded over a few million dollars for a team with $27 million in cap space, it could be a move that comes back to haunt them because whether the offense looks more like the 49ers or Green Bay Packers, the receiver would be an asset in either one.

RT Morgan Moses: The Jets are apparently still in on adding Moses, a high-level right tackle who would pair well as a bookend with Mekhi Becton.  Douglas and the Jets had a visit with the o-lineman before he went to check in with the Bears in Chicago and has yet to make a decision.  If Douglas was smart, he’d pick up the phone and sweeten the offer.

#Jets are among multiple teams that remain interested in free agent OT Morgan Moses, per sources. Moses visited New York and Chicago in recent weeks. Teams have made strides in potentially signing him but no decision made.

— Jeremy Fowler (@JFowlerESPN) June 8, 2021

CB Richard Sherman: No reports of an offer from the Jets to Sherman as of yet, but there were some whispers before the draft of interest from the Jets.  For Gang Green, cornerback is undeniably the biggest weakness on the roster and could be the worst group in the NFL.  Whether it’s Sherman, Steve Nelson or Bashaud Breeland, a veteran has to be brought in at some point unless the Jets are much higher on their group internally than anyone whose checks aren’t signed by Woody Johnson.

The post Keeping up with Joe and the Jets; Who’s Staying? Who’s Going? Who Might be Coming? appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/Jetnationcom/~4/ce4gnay9OU4

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 1

Maye will play under the tag this year and probably next year too.  I dont see Joe Douglas committing long term to a safety around the age of 30 that he did not draft.

With the emergence of Moore in OTAs, I do not see crowder returning.  Moore is not coming off the field so crowder's pt will be cut drastically anyways.

I do not think Sherman is coming here.  Wants to play on the west coast and probably not looking to play for a team in year 1 of a rebuild.

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Maye will play under the tag this year and probably next year too.  I dont see Joe Douglas committing long term to a safety around the age of 30 that he did not draft.

With the emergence of Moore in OTAs, I do not see crowder returning.  Moore is not coming off the field so crowder's pt will be cut drastically anyways.

I do not think Sherman is coming here.  Wants to play on the west coast and probably not looking to play for a team in year 1 of a rebuild.

I don't understand how people insist that Moore is only a slot receiver that can't play on the outside.  Mims has shown that he can get injured, and has not yet shown that he can play a full 16 games.

Crowder is a slot receiver, and a very good one, and one who is still relatively young.  To me, it would be dumb for the Jets to let Crowder go, and I do not see that happening.

Yes, Crowder is overpaid for this year, but I would love to see him get an extension and not mess with this years pay in a significant manner.  

You know, if you want to complain about something, how about the fact that the Jets have 8 million in dead money for Trumaine Johnson this year.  Way to go Maccagnan!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The Jets would be mich better off getting Maye under a reasonable contract. He is going to make over 10 million this year under the tag and over 12 if he is tagged again. If they can sign him to a longer term deal that averages about 10 a year,  it would be smarter than just giving him a 2 million raise in a year. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Alka said:

I don't understand how people insist that Moore is only a slot receiver that can't play on the outside.  Mims has shown that he can get injured, and has not yet shown that he can play a full 16 games.

Crowder is a slot receiver, and a very good one, and one who is still relatively young.  To me, it would be dumb for the Jets to let Crowder go, and I do not see that happening.

Yes, Crowder is overpaid for this year, but I would love to see him get an extension and not mess with this years pay in a significant manner.  

You know, if you want to complain about something, how about the fact that the Jets have 8 million in dead money for Trumaine Johnson this year.  Way to go Maccagnan!

Well, the fact that he is a smurf  might have something to do with it. It's  possible he can play outside but that would mean he is incredibly talented. Hoping that he is. I still don't like this pick considering who was on the board but if he is another Hill, Ill be very happy. 

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Well, the fact that he is a smurf  might have something to do with it. It's  possible he can play outside but that would mean he is incredibly talented. Hoping that he is. I still don't like this pick considering who was on the board but if he is another Hill, Ill be very happy. 

The experts are saying the following about Moore:

"Moore is small but is strong and physical for his size and doesn't have small hands"

"At his size, Moore projects best to a slot receiver role"

"However, he expanded his role in 2020 and caught 25 passes while lined up either in the backfield or out wide, albeit that many of those were in bunch formations"

So, Moore is incredibly talented, and although he seems capable of playing on the outside, the experts agree that the best place for him is as a slot receiver. 

You may have not liked this pick, but you are definitely in the minority.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Alka said:

Not sure that's being fair to Mims during a pandemic year with no full training camp or preseason games to work with during his rookie season.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, peebag said:

Not sure that's being fair to Mims during a pandemic year with no full training camp or preseason games to work with during his rookie season.

I believe Mims played in 9 games last year, when they desperately needed him on the field.  He needs to prove this year that last year was an aberration.

Meanwhile, Mims is not practicing today.  I wonder why? 

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

The Jets felt he was a top 25 player that fell to them at 34.

Who did you want them to take instead?

I like Crowder, I really do.  But he's likely not going to be on the roster in 2022 regardless.  Pissing him off by saving a few million with a paycut or, if it comes down to it, finding a trade partner isn't the end of the world.  It really isn't, folks.  If Zach Wilson can play, he can play.  Crowder being here or not isn't going to be the difference in his development.  

• Upvote 1

I am fine with Maye playing under the tag for a year or two.

Do not agree with Crowder.  We have no idea what the jets are doing.  We are also not going to playoffs this year so I would rather see the young guys playing.

Richard Sherman - sorry, I do not see it.  He will want money and to play for a contender.  Neither of which is realistic for the Jets.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I like Crowder, I really do.  But he's likely not going to be on the roster in 2022 regardless.  Pissing him off by saving a few million with a paycut or, if it comes down to it, finding a trade partner isn't the end of the world.  It really isn't, folks.  If Zach Wilson can play, he can play.  Crowder being here or not isn't going to be the difference in his development.  

That I definitely agree with. I'm fine with moving on from him but I want the corresponding cap savings on the field in 2021.

21 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

The Jets would be mich better off getting Maye under a reasonable contract. He is going to make over 10 million this year under the tag and over 12 if he is tagged again. If they can sign him to a longer term deal that averages about 10 a year,  it would be smarter than just giving him a 2 million raise in a year. 

$2M isn't a bad tradeoff for the additional flexibility, however. On another note I can't believe how cheap the franchise # is for safeties. And Jamal wants $20M! That's wild. Mahomes "only" makes double the QB franchise #.

16 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's not that it's the end of the world, so much that it's unnecessary, and the GM's own doing. 

This impasse was caused as much by fully guaranteeing Cole $5MM as it was by drafting Moore. 

Personally I'd rather have Crowder than Cole, but what's done is done with Cole's contract. Cole is a good player, even if he's a bit of a downgrade, so it's not like replacing Crowder by bringing back Kerley qgain. Neither veteran is under contract for 2022 anyway, and are both the same age, so this isn't a move about anything other than a couple million bucks during a window of time where so many starters will be on rookie contracts and the team has no cap concerns. 

I don't love the idea of losing him, but agree it's not going to make or break Wilson. Not unless there's a major injury bug where Crowder, of all receivers, is 100% healthy throughout.

On 6/10/2021 at 12:18 PM, peebag said:

totally agree with this.  so much is about the whole team attitude and it just seemed like the whole team was pretty flat for most of the season.  give mims a good training camp and then a better locker room and coaching staff and he could shake off nagging injuries and play much better.

• Upvote 1