Can Crowder show up for Mandatory campo Tues if he hasnt restructured?

How does this work for mandatory mini camp?  I have asked a few times w/o getting an answer.

Would they let Crowder on the field this Tuesday if he hasnt taken a pay cut? He could blow out his achillies and then the jets are on the hook for the $10 mil.

Has Joe Douglas given him a Monday night deadline of accepting the restructured deal or we are cutting you?  He has to show up or he will be fined.

What are the scenarios with Crowder and mandatory mini camp on Tuesday?

48 minutes ago, jgb said:

If the parties are currently negotiating in good faith, Jets will waive any fine.

I don’t think teams can do that anymore. Last CBA got very tough on hold outs 

• Upvote 2
5 hours ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

my guess is Jets want him to take like $3mn...his agent probably wants $7mn....he ends up signing between $4-5mn for the year.  

Do they tack on an extra year or 2?  I believe ud have to do a little “give and take” here.  Like take a paycut, but we will guarantee it for 2 years.

7 hours ago, Larz said:

It is true I'm not an expert on CBA. I'm speaking in terms of a standard two-party contract, but you're right it may not be in the Jets control to waive certain rights that accrue to them via the CBA. Just like a team can't (I believe) pay above rookie wage scale even if they want to.

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Do they tack on an extra year or 2?  I believe ud have to do a little “give and take” here.  Like take a paycut, but we will guarantee it for 2 years.

I don't think they have to.  If they cut him now I doubt he would get much more than 3-4mn from anyone else with where everyone's salary cap is.  He'd be better off taking the reduced salary from Jets and then hit free agency next year when league cap is higher and he can be a free agent from the start of the league year.  Kind of a kick in the nuts being how well he's played for us, but the reality is Moore looks good so far and will probably take at least 50% of Crowder's playing time this year and forget about next year.  

9 hours ago, Larz said:

They just have to say he was excused… pretty simple

2 hours ago, ECURB said:

I think ur right.  I think i heard that the Packers didnt have to fine rodgers for not showing up to mandatory mini camp if they didnt want to.

4 hours ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

I don't think they have to.  If they cut him now I doubt he would get much more than 3-4mn from anyone else with where everyone's salary cap is.  He'd be better off taking the reduced salary from Jets and then hit free agency next year when league cap is higher and he can be a free agent from the start of the league year.  Kind of a kick in the nuts being how well he's played for us, but the reality is Moore looks good so far and will probably take at least 50% of Crowder's playing time this year and forget about next year.  

He'd be better off with another team in that case, unless you believe he'd maximize his value on a Jets team with two other slot receivers just brought in, a rookie QB, and a new commitment to getting the TE involved in the passing game.

Crowder is right to stick to his guns here. Never mind accepting a 60-70% salary shave to $3-4MM, from a team that knows him, is bad FA optics. If were him I'd rather be a FA this spring/summer and wait for a better opportunity than this one.

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

Seems to me crowder might also be a trading chip.  The jets are far enough under the cap that they can easily keep him at the current contract and then trade him.

Crowder doesn't have any trade value with one year left at $10MM.

Cole has more trade value because he's about half that $, and I don't think he has any trade value either. At least not until someone's top slot receiver is put on IR for the season, and even then we wouldn't get much.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, ECURB said:

A player shall not receive an Accrued Season for any League Year in which the player is under contract to a Club and in which (i) he failed to report to the Club's preseason training camp on that player's mandatory reporting date; or (ii) the player thereafter failed to perform his contract services for the Club for a material period of time, unless he demonstrates to the Impartial Arbitrator extreme personal hardship causing such failure to report or perform, such as severe illness or death in the family.

not so simple?

1 hour ago, Larz said:

A player shall not receive an Accrued Season for any League Year in which the player is under contract to a Club and in which (i) he failed to report to the Club's preseason training camp on that player's mandatory reporting date; or (ii) the player thereafter failed to perform his contract services for the Club for a material period of time, unless he demonstrates to the Impartial Arbitrator extreme personal hardship causing such failure to report or perform, such as severe illness or death in the family.

not so simple?

I think that section only applies to players with under 3 years.  Crowder is already a vested vet.  I don't think missing a few days of camp is going to mean sh*t to him.

17 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Joe D cant cut crowder.  He would be scooped up in seconds.  Could u imagine crowder w/ rodgers in GB, with herbert in SD etc.  He could catch 70 balls and make a huge difference in an offense.

Hes not a great reciever, but hes very good.  Joe Douglas is all about getting value for assets and Crowder is a valuable asset.

Joe D will not cut him and get nothing for him.  You dont do that for a very good receiver in his prime.

This could get very interesting.

I agree.  No way he cuts him when he can get something back for him 

1 hour ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

If Crowder blows out his knee next week how does his contract work? 

If they let him practice next week and he blows out this knee, we are on the hook for 10 mil.  I am assuming he will be told not to show up if he hasnt restructured.  But in order not to get fined, he needs to show up.

Can he show up and then the jets let him hang out but dont let him practice?

29 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

If they let him practice next week and he blows out this knee, we are on the hook for 10 mil.  I am assuming he will be told not to show up if he hasnt restructured.  But in order not to get fined, he needs to show up.

Can he show up and then the jets let him hang out but dont let him practice?

I could be wrong, but I think if he practices next week and blows out his knee, the PR of that aside, it's tough-ti**y for him. He doesn't have any guarantees left (injury guarantees included). They might give him an injury settlement before releasing him in that situation, just because it looks bad if they don't, but I don't think they're obligated to do so. 

The league started something new (I think last year) to get some salary paid over the summer, but it isn't much. The only way he gets anything more guaranteed of significance is if he signs a new contract or he officially makes the final week 1 roster, at which point his year salary becomes guaranteed.

Until then he'd be assuming all injury risks himself, which is a good enough reason for him to skip OTAs while the team is looking to cut his contract by millions. If he is going to end up getting released for money reasons, it'd be in his interest to shop around for a new job while 100% healthy not while recovering from an injury.

Under these circumstances, based on what little we know, I wouldn't show up either if I was him. 

• Upvote 1
9 hours ago, Larz said:

not so simple?

That’s only if the team enforces it. They can excuse players how they see fit.

15 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I could be wrong, but I think if he practices next week and blows out his knee, the PR of that aside, it's tough-ti**y for him. He doesn't have any guarantees left (injury guarantees included). They might give him an injury settlement before releasing him in that situation, just because it looks bad if they don't, but I don't think they're obligated to do so. 

The league started something new (I think last year) to get some salary paid over the summer, but it isn't much. The only way he gets anything more guaranteed of significance is if he signs a new contract or he officially makes the final week 1 roster, at which point his year salary becomes guaranteed.

Until then he'd be assuming all injury risks himself, which is a good enough reason for him to skip OTAs while the team is looking to cut his contract by millions. If he is going to end up getting released for money reasons, it'd be in his interest to shop around for a new job while 100% healthy not while recovering from an injury.

Under these circumstances, based on what little we know, I wouldn't show up either if I was him. 

Thanks, Sperm. Any idea if a team can waive fines for no shows? For example, if both sides are hammering out a deal it’s in both sides interest for him to not show (PR, Injury settlement on Jets side).

10 hours ago, ECURB said:

That’s only if the team enforces it. They can excuse players how they see fit.

That was my initial thought as well but some have speculated that under the CBA the Jets may not have discretion in the matter.

3 hours ago, jgb said:

Thanks, Sperm. Any idea if a team can waive fines for no shows? For example, if both sides are hammering out a deal it’s in both sides interest for him to not show (PR, Injury settlement on Jets side).

I don't know as much about that part as some. I mean, it's all in the CBA if you want to read every clause.

Ordinarily I'd think a team can always arbitrarily claim it's an excused absence because it's due to something the team caused. In this case these contract negotiations are because the team is demanding a pay cut (in so many words, take a pay cut or you're off the team). So this isn't a player holding out for more than he's due under his current contract, which would not be excused. 

However, it's possible the team can't make such arbitrary accommodations (i.e. there are specific permitted reasons - medical, family, emergencies, etc. - and other than those outlined reasons everyone has to show up or get fined). I think the teams put that language in there because it became customary to waive all the fines after settling, after the player held out, so those fines had no teeth. 

So yes, three paragraphs for me to communicate that I really don't know. I yam what I yam. 

• Haha 2