Zach Wilson Earns Rave Reviews During OTA’s; NY Jets Podcast

Zach Wilson

Plenty to cover on this week’s episode of JetNation Radio as the Jets are still reportedly in the hunt for stud right tackle Morgan Moses, Mekhi Becton is sitting out OTA’s due to plantar fasciitis and Jamison Crowder is home waiting on a new deal…or maybe a trade? Listen to our NY Jets Podcast and stay up to date on everything we have learned about the team through OTAs.

Zach Wilson is earning rave reviews along with Elijah Moore.

Our Podcast can now be found on Spotify and Amazon Music. Also, be sure to subscribe to us on iTunes or Google Play. Here is some more information on how you can find us online.

The post Zach Wilson Earns Rave Reviews During OTA’s; NY Jets Podcast appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/Jetnationcom/~4/5t1xqgSkHPE

Click here to read the full story...

Crowder will more than likely be traded and that would open the door to signing Becton’s backup foodie partner, Moses. Elijah Moore is slated to be in the slot so might as well get him in the starting role now.  Looks like exciting things will come from this kid who and is following fellow Ole Miss WR’s recently drafted who are killing it in NFL. And they speak volumes about Moore’s potential. 

54 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Crowder will more than likely be traded and that would open the door to signing Becton’s backup foodie partner, Moses. Elijah Moore is slated to be in the slot so might as well get him in the starting role now.  Looks like exciting things will come from this kid who and is following fellow Ole Miss WR’s recently drafted who are killing it in NFL. And they speak volumes about Moore’s potential. 

Nobody will take Crowder's contract unless we agree to pay half of it.  So they either have to pay him, renegotiate the contract or cut him.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Nobody will take Crowder's contract unless we agree to pay half of it.  So they either have to pay him, renegotiate the contract or cut him.

This. Plus the Jets could sign Moses for $10MM/year, have all his bonus money as roster bonus (all of it hitting this season with no spread over 2-3 years), and still wouldn't need to cut Crowder to sign Moses.

The team's in no rush, at least between now & late July when TC starts. But in the end, unless they come to agreement on something north of $5MM I think he'll turn it down & they'll just cut him. Absent a major injury on a team with limited depth at the position, no one's going to ante up a draft pick for one season of Crowder at $10MM, in a year with an artificially-low salary cap as it is. 

Even if we ate half his salary how high of a pick would someone really offer for one year of Crowder? It's not like Leonard Williams situation: the team was already effectively eliminated from the playoffs and was on the hook for all his money anyway; and on top of that they were getting a high 3rd rounder from a 1-7 team; and LW was a recent #6 overall pick, still 26 yrs old, and was a recent pro bowler at age 24. Even with all that the top offer was a 3rd rounder (plus a future 5th which is like four extra slots for that then-unknown 3rd rounder).

Now in comparison to that -- for Crowder? What is Douglas going to eat $5MM to get a day 3 pick? If they're going to eat $5MM, then just keep him for $10MM and then still have the player, plus whatever comp pick he might yield the year after that. Eating enough $millions to yield a day 3 pick makes no sense to me.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Maynard13 said:

Elijah Moore is slated to be in the slot so might as well get him in the starting role now.

Interesting thing about this is that Moore, though he is considered a slot WR, with Davis hurt, has been playing on the outside with the 1's.

It's Berrios, who has been tearing it up with 7 catches  per-practice this week, who has been playing in the slot with the 1's.

IMO, Jets will either trade Crowder, and eat $5+M of his contract, or cut him, and save $10M.

When OTA's started I was 100% that the Jets should just pay Crowder.   Things have changed.   

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I don't put much stock in these reports. How many similar reports did we get on Darnold the past three seasons?  Everybody is an All Pro in helmets and shorts in June.

To be honest not as many as you think. Darnold's reports at this same time were horrible. He looked completely clueless. There are things you can get a feel for from OTAs, and so far the speed of the game, decision making, playbook knowledge and leadership all seem strong. In fact FAR stronger than any point in Darnold's career.

We as fans qualified EVERYTHING about Darnold. "he's still so young" "he has no weapons" "it's to be expected from a rookie"

I defended Darnold vehemently until late of last year because I always thought the light bulb would go on. It never did. I do not expect it will in Carolina either. Darnold is what he is.  One of the worst starting QBs in football.

There are many reasons already to think Zach will be far far different 

• Upvote 2

To be honest not as many as you think. Darnold's reports at this same time were horrible. He looked completely clueless. There are things you can get a feel for from OTAs, and so far the speed of the game, decision making, playbook knowledge and leadership all seem strong. In fact FAR stronger than any point in Darnold's career.
We as fans qualified EVERYTHING about Darnold. "he's still so young" "he has no weapons" "it's to be expected from a rookie"
I defended Darnold vehemently until late of last year because I always thought the light bulb would go on. It never did. I do not expect it will in Carolina either. Darnold is what he is.  One of the worst starting QBs in football.
There are many reasons already to think Zach will be far far different 

Darnold will be better in Carolina. He has to be, there is no way he can be worse. The media will play it up about how the Jets were ruining him and now he has been saved. He will still suck, he will never reach the heights that people here thought he would but he will be better......

He has to be

He can't be worse

Gase

Sent from the NY Jets Draft Suicide Watch desk.

Quote of Day from a Jets coach: "Excuse my French... but he’s a f*cking dude. He’s a f*cking dude with a f*cking arm. And he’s accurate as sh!t. So, excuse that... It's awesome to be around a guy like that"

WR Coach Shawn Jefferson talking about Sam Darnold almost exactly two years ago today.... in Camp... without pads.

June 13, 2019

I've seen this movie before.  I'm hoping our 2021 sequel is better.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I don't put much stock in these reports. How many similar reports did we get on Darnold the past three seasons?  Everybody is an All Pro in helmets and shorts in June.

I honestly remember the last two OTAs and Training Camps that Darnold got very meh reviews.

They certainly didn’t sugar coat anything when it was the Bryce Petty / Christian Hackenberg “battle” camp.

5 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Eh not necessarily, we know he looks good/competent at least. If you remember during the Hackenberg days we were reading reports where he couldn’t even make a throw. If Zach was awful we’d hear about it 

7 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

Trade Crowder for a starting CB and we'll pay half Crowder's salary and the whole salary of the CB. We can then let Moore start at slot WR and greatly improve our CB position.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

We dont need to make room to bring in Moses.  Crowder may indeed get traded but not for that reason.  

• Post of the Week 1

17 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

This seems like a few blurred memories to limit the good feelings there should be around Wilsons camp.  Wilsons doing well? Thats what they say about everyone, therefore hes not really doing that well.  But...

Sam Darnold took 21 snaps, the most reps, but they were all with the backups. Josh McCown took 12 snaps, all with the starters. And Teddy Bridgewater took nine snaps with the backups. 

Expect the Jets to continue giving Darnold the majority of the snaps through training camp -- he has the most to learn and prove. It's also likely Bridgewater's reps will go up as he continues to prove his health, and McCown's will go down. The Jets already know what they have in McCown and the soon-to-be 39-year-old doesn't need the reps. It'll be on Bridgewater and Darnold to try and take the job from him. 

Story continues below video.

Growing pains

Sam Darnold played poorly in his first OTA practice. He looked overwhelmed in the pocket at times. He had trouble communicating with his receivers. He completed only 2-of-10 passes and took two sacks. (No one actually touched him, the pressure just got to him before he threw the ball.) Darnold tossed a couple of interceptions in 7-on-7 drills. And there was another botched snap. 

It was probably a frustrating day for the Jets' quarterback of the future. We don't know. The Jets didn't make him available to talk. But frustration is OK at this stage. A rookie is supposed to look a little lost on his first day of real professional practice.

If Darnold is struggling in August, it might be time to worry a little. But there's nothing wrong with him looking a little overwhelmed on Day 1.    https://www.northjersey.com/story/sports/nfl/jets/2018/05/23/5-takeaways-jets-begin-otas-including-sam-darnhttps://www.northjersey.com/story/sports/nfl/jets/2018/05/23/5-takeaways-jets-begin-otas-including-sam-darnold-and-qb-situation/636510002/old-and-qb-situation/636510002/

Thanks go out to @flgreen

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, flgreen said:

Interesting thing about this is that Moore, though he is considered a slot WR, with Davis hurt, has been playing on the outside with the 1's.

It's Berrios, who has been tearing it up with 7 catches  per-practice this week, who has been playing in the slot with the 1's.

IMO, Jets will either trade Crowder, and eat $5+M of his contract, or cut him, and save $10M.

When OTA's started I was 100% that the Jets should just pay Crowder.   Things have changed.   

Moore is special thus making Crowder expendable. Has nothing to do with his skill set or fit. He’s been great on a has been team but business is business. We’re in FULL rebuild here and Crowder’s replacement was drafted - Moore. AND he’s shining through. I look Crowder to be traded in exchange for a pick. It’s the Joe Douglas Way. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This. Plus the Jets could sign Moses for $10MM/year, have all his bonus money as roster bonus (all of it hitting this season with no spread over 2-3 years), and still wouldn't need to cut Crowder to sign Moses.

The team's in no rush, at least between now & late July when TC starts. But in the end, unless they come to agreement on something north of $5MM I think he'll turn it down & they'll just cut him. Absent a major injury on a team with limited depth at the position, no one's going to ante up a draft pick for one season of Crowder at $10MM, in a year with an artificially-low salary cap as it is. 

Even if we ate half his salary how high of a pick would someone really offer for one year of Crowder? It's not like Leonard Williams situation: the team was already effectively eliminated from the playoffs and was on the hook for all his money anyway; and on top of that they were getting a high 3rd rounder from a 1-7 team; and LW was a recent #6 overall pick, still 26 yrs old, and was a recent pro bowler at age 24. Even with all that the top offer was a 3rd rounder (plus a future 5th which is like four extra slots for that then-unknown 3rd rounder).

Now in comparison to that -- for Crowder? What is Douglas going to eat $5MM to get a day 3 pick? If they're going to eat $5MM, then just keep him for $10MM and then still have the player, plus whatever comp pick he might yield the year after that. Eating enough $millions to yield a day 3 pick makes no sense to me.

Plenty of contending teams would gobble him up. He’s a quality slot WR. A missing piece that could  get a team over the hump.  For 5M a year and a 4th rounder, he’d be a bargain.  

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

We dont need to make room to bring in Moses.  Crowder may indeed get traded but not for that reason.  

If he was such a vital piece to Douglas’ vision, he’d be in camp with a new contract. Crowder is good but he’s not elite. And he’s got some wear and tear. We are rebuilding. So thanks for the memories. 

45 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Plenty of contending teams would gobble him up. He’s a quality slot WR. A missing piece that could  get a team over the hump.  For 5M a year and a 4th rounder, he’d be a bargain.  

I like Crowder and don't want him dumped, but I'd be pretty surprised to get back a 4th rounder even if the Jets ate $8MM of his salary. Anyway I don't see the pick-rich Jets eating that much money just to buy another future low 4th rounder from a contending team.

I'd never say never after that Adams trade, but IMO a team that so badly needed a slot receiver could've signed Cole in March for $5-6MM.

My top guess is that Crowder gets cut, which isn't my desire. Possible he takes the pay cut the team is seeking, but I've no idea what they be in mind. If he agrees perhaps then gets traded during the season after some contender's slot receiver goes on IR. But in the early summer? Who'd do that? I'm struggling to think of one, let alone "plenty" who'd do so.

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchartpos/WR. Here, look at everyone's SWR. Which team would trade a 4th rounder for one season of Crowder? Who truly has a hole at slot receiver right now?

I could see Indy signing him as a FA if he's released, because Campbell can't stay on the field, but they're not trading a 4th for him. They made little to no effort to sign or draft another slot receiver in the spring. Why would they exhibit such sudden desperation?

He's a UFA after this season and has a $10MM base salary. Right now imo he has no trade value.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Moore is special thus making Crowder expendable. Has nothing to do with his skill set or fit. He’s been great on a has been team but business is business. We’re in FULL rebuild here and Crowder’s replacement was drafted - Moore. AND he’s shining through. I look Crowder to be traded in exchange for a pick. It’s the Joe Douglas Way. 

I am sorry and don’t mean to be argumentative but this is wrong.  
Yes, we’re in a rebuild. Yes it’s a business.  

What’s best for the rebuild and business is to develop a franchise QB.  That should be there first, second and third priority. After that you can worry about panache. 

Building the best possible team around him in his rookie year is the proper way to accomplish that goal.   Cutting crowder would be exceptionally short sighted. 

• Upvote 1

Which is exactly why we shouldn't trade him.  We would be saving $5mm and a 4th rounder if we made that trade.

Penny wise and pound foolish.

• Upvote 2

If he was such a vital piece to Douglas’ vision, he’d be in camp with a new contract. Crowder is good but he’s not elite. And he’s got some wear and tear. We are rebuilding. So thanks for the memories. 

First of all I didnt say anything about Crowder the player or his place on this team, I said that they dont have to get rid of his contract to sign Moses.

Secondly I dont see why a Crowder, the only proven WR, a consistent pass catcher who knows how to run routes and get to open spots wouldn't be a help to a young QB.  Like you say, hes good, not great.  But he'd be an asset to Wilsons development IMO.  I dont understand how a 27 year old WR cant be on a team with a 21 year old QB?  But could with a 23 year old QB.  The whole hes not for a rebuilding team and has wear and tear isnt part of their thinking, its financial

I think its just a case of his role and the team dependence on Crowder is different now and they want to have his contract reflect that.

• Upvote 1