NY Jets news: CB Isaiah Dunn 'making waves' at 2021 OTAs

https://thejetpress.com/posts/ny-jets-news-isaiah-dunn-waves-otas

The NY Jets are expected to have an open competition at the cornerback position this spring and summer. And one player who's already making quite the first impression is undrafted rookie Isaiah Dunn.

Dunn has been one of the stars of OTAs thus far earning praise from numerous people in attendance. So much so that Bleacher Report's Maurice Moton recently listed him as one of eight rookies "making waves" at OTAs.

The undrafted rookie out of Oregon State has even been elevated to the first-team defense with Blessuan Austin out nursing a minor injury starting opposite Bryce Hall in the base defense at times.

The Jets are high on Dunn's potential, as evidenced by the record-breaking contract they handed him shortly following the 2021 NFL Draft — the largest deal for an undrafted cornerback in NFL history.

The NY Jets have been impressed with Isaiah Dunn.

A former standout at Oregon State, Dunn has a background in track and ran a blazing 4.36 40-yard dash at his pro day. It wasn't enough to get him drafted, but he received offers from numerous teams following the draft.

The Jets believe that Dunn could not only make the 53-man roster, but earn a role in a very inexperienced secondary before long.

Dunn will compete with the likes of Hall, Austin, and rookies Jason Pinnock and Brandin Echols for playing time at outside cornerback. Pinnock has also received some work with the first-team offense, but Dunn has outplayed him to this point.

D.J. Bien-Aime II of the NY Daily News had the following to say about the promising young cornerback.

"Keep an eye on [Isaiah] Dunn, one of the undrafted free agents Gang Green added to the roster, as the offseason continues to progress as the former Oregon State star made some nice pass breakups throughout the OTAs that have been available to the media."

- D.J. Bien-Aime II

Given the lack of experience in the Jets' secondary, it wouldn't be surprising to see Dunn receive significant playing time early in his career.

We're still a long way away from the start of the regular season and he'll have to carry over his recent success into both minicamp and training camp, but Dunn has made a strong first impression with the Jets coaching staff.

At the very least, Dunn seems primed to earn a spot on the practice squad, if nothing else. That seems to be his floor at the moment.

And as unorthodox as it might sound, his ceiling might very well be a Week 1 starter.

• Upvote 3
20 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

How many CBs can we keep? 6? 7 at the most?

Probably Safe:

1. Bryce Hall
  2. Bless Austin
  3. Justin Hardee (special teamer)

Fighting for 3 or 4 spots:

1. Lamar Jackson
  2. Javelin Guidry
  3. Jason Pinnock (5th rd pick)
  4. Bradin Echols (6th rd pick)
  5. Corey Ballentine
  6. Isaiah Dunn

Longshots:

1. Elijah Campbell 
  2. Zane Lewis

Definitely 7 max. I'm not sure how many snaps Hardee plays at CB even though he is listed as one. 

Glad we have the expanded PS again this year

Edit: forgot MC 2 on that list

• Upvote 1

I always like these stories:

Such and such a player ran a 4.35, was a 3 time all conference CB, was team captain, is a monster prospect!

And went undrafted.....as a matter or fact the Jets drafted about 5 guys before him on defense.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
3 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Probably Safe:

1. Bryce Hall
  2. Bless Austin

1. Lamar Jackson
  2. Javelin Guidry
  3. Michael Carter II (5th rd pick)
  4. Jason Pinnock (5th rd pick)
  5. Bradin Echols (6th rd pick)
  6. Corey Ballentine
  7. Isaiah Dunn

Longshots:

1. Elijah Campbell 
  2. Zane Lewis

With the defense we are going to run, we may see some unusual numbers on defense. And there is always one or two players that expand one group 1 more above it's actual number. I like Bless but I think he is far from safe. He was good his first few games but has really tailed off since then. If I was going to guess:

Hall, MC2, Pinnock, Guidry, Echols, Dunn, Hardee and 1 of Jackson/Austin

I do not think we bring in a vet CB

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I always like these stories:

Such and such a player ran a 4.35, was a 3 time all conference CB, was team captain, is a monster prospect!

And went undrafted.....as a matter or fact the Jets drafted about 5 guys before him on defense.

And yet....There are 14 players in the HOF who went undrafted.

Sometimes, gems come from unlikely places.

• Upvote 4
38 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And yet....There are 14 players in the HOF who went undrafted.

Sometimes, gems come from unlikely places.

Hate use the 'well duh' but I will use it here.

It's like the people that praise the hell out of the pats for stealing brady when they took 6 guys ahead of him including a guy int he 6th round ahead of him.

The question remains if Dunn is so good and looking so good what about him made him not get drafted.

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

It's like the people that praise the hell out of the pats for stealing brady when they took 6 guys ahead of him including a guy int he 6th round ahead of him.

The question remains if Dunn is so good and looking so good what about him made him not get drafted.

Sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good. The Pats got extremely lucky with Brady.  Maybe we will with Dunn.

There so many prospects out there. Even with all the info we have, you still don’t always know why guys slip.

Maybe Saleh’s system is helping Dunn. We all know zone systems don’t always require highly drafted or expensive corners.

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Probably Safe:

1. Bryce Hall
  2. Bless Austin

1. Lamar Jackson
  2. Javelin Guidry
  6. Corey Ballentine
  7. Isaiah Dunn

Longshots:

1. Elijah Campbell 
  2. Zane Lewis

I think if they show anything at all Michael Carter II and Pinnock are safe being that they were 5th round picks and one is well suited for the nickel while the other for the outside, I really do. I think Ballentine and Echols are longshots. The last one or two spots are up for grabs between Jackson, Guidry, and Dunn. 

• Upvote 2
6 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Probably Safe:

1. Bryce Hall
  2. Bless Austin

1. Lamar Jackson
  2. Javelin Guidry
  6. Corey Ballentine
  7. Isaiah Dunn

Longshots:

1. Elijah Campbell 
  2. Zane Lewis

I feel very confident to put Carter 2 in the safe category.    

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Probably Safe:

1. Bryce Hall
  2. Bless Austin

1. Lamar Jackson
  2. Javelin Guidry
  6. Corey Ballentine
  7. Isaiah Dunn

Longshots:

1. Elijah Campbell 
  2. Zane Lewis

Good breakdown.  I did the full monte on this the other day. 

I think Hall, Austin and Hardee are locks.  Austin has had some rough spots, but he is a great fit for the Saleh defense and will rarely be in man-to-man which was not his forte.  There is no substitute for NFL experience.  It is also why I think that Jackson and Guidry have inside tracks and will have to be beaten out.  Jackson started half of last season and is a good fit in press zone - he is the biggest corner on the team.  Guidry started a good chunk of last season at nickel but is up against it in a battle with MC2.

I agree with the players who are fighting for spots on the team at corner.  The only quibble is the Jets probably view Echols as a safety.  His scouting report said as much.  There is better opportunity there as his primary competition for the fourth spot are UDFAs Brenden White and Jordyn Peters.  White is probably viewed as a linebacker. 

I think the Jets will keep seven corners (not including Hardee), four safeties, five linebackers and eight defensive lineman plus Hardee.  That is 25 players which would leave the offense at 25 too (three spots go to the kicker, punter and long snapper). 

The reason I see so many corners is the Jets will likely play a base 4-2-5 and even a 4-1-6 with Sherwood/Nasirildeen playing SS at times to keep the offense guessing.  The last spots will come down to the special teams units.  Only one thing is certain, it will be all-out-war.

• Upvote 4
4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

This is right.  We hear this stuff every year.

Sometimes it happens. Robby is a good example...

But let's be clear, there's a reason he went undrafted.

11 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

I like it a lot. The Jets are providing young physically gifted guys a chance to compete and grow as players. This regime is a breath of fresh air.

They haven't played a game yet.

• Like 1

Isaiah Dunn is gonna be mini-Revis… idk why but the little I’ve seen on him makes me feel like there’s something there. MC2 and Dunn are the two secondary guys I really like from our crop of rookies.

12 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Probably Safe:

1. Bryce Hall
  2. Bless Austin

1. Lamar Jackson
  2. Javelin Guidry
  6. Corey Ballentine
  7. Isaiah Dunn

Longshots:

1. Elijah Campbell 
  2. Zane Lewis

This is exactly why I'm happy with the Jets not signing any vet corners. At the beginning of the offseason I thought Sherman could be a good addition to help the transition to Saleh's but I'm really glad they didn't go that route

If they signed young(ish) starting CB available this offseason that you could project to fill a starting CB spot for the next few years (aka a long term solution) thats a different situation...

When you're talking about any of these aging vets on a 1 year deal, no thank you. I'm REALLY happy with the approach Saleh is taking with this position.  I don't want anyone we KNOW isn't a long term solution taking snaps away from any of these young kids that possibly COULD be.

This isn't a win now team. CB is one of the remaining big holes that more than likely will need to be addressed next off season. Give this young group every possible opportunity to develop and maybe we'll get lucky and next offseason CB won't be the huge need it looks like now 

1 hour ago, peebag said:

It’s possible to like a new coaching staff before the games are played.  

This take is tiresome.  We all understand nothing has been proven yet. It’s June.  We can’t fast forward to September.  What else would you like to discuss?  

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1
4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This take is tiresome.  We all understand nothing has been proven yet. It’s June.  We can’t fast forward to September.  What else would you like to discuss?  

You remember Marathon bars?  Love me some caramel and chocolate in curvy waves!

• Haha 3

Competition is great to see.  This is exactly what we want with a young team, a new coach, and a rebuild.  It also supports the idea that the Jets probably aren’t going to add some last-minute veteran CB that pushes a young guy to the PS or off the team altogether.  If the Jets find 3-4 guys who look good enough to start then I say roll with it.  No need to overpay a Richard Sherman to eat playing time on a young team that’s trying to learn and needs experience.

20 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

This is right.  We hear this stuff every year.

Sometimes it happens. Robby is a good example...

But let's be clear, there's a reason he went undrafted.

True…but this year due to the pandemic there was a lot more value in the UDFA class than any other year.

A good amount of these guys would had bene drafted in the mid to low rounds in most years.

• Upvote 4
On 6/12/2021 at 3:45 PM, PepPep said:

I think if they show anything at all Michael Carter II and Pinnock are safe being that they were 5th round picks and one is well suited for the nickel while the other for the outside, I really do. I think Ballentine and Echols are longshots. The last one or two spots are up for grabs between Jackson, Guidry, and Dunn. 

I'd say Jackson and Guidry are under Dunn.  Carter and Pinnock are over Dunn.  The way its looking though, carter may be over Pinnock and under Dunn.

Airplane Movie 0Gif GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2
59 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

I'd say Jackson and Guidry are under Dunn.  Carter and Pinnock are over Dunn.  The way its looking though, carter may be over Pinnock and under Dunn.

Airplane Movie 0Gif GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Well Dunn Sir. 

On 6/13/2021 at 3:32 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

Exactly.  Should reporters not pass along their observations at OTA?  When they do pass them along, are fans not supposed to discuss them?  Always found this to be an odd take.

• Upvote 1
On 6/12/2021 at 12:51 PM, johnnysd said:

With the defense we are going to run, we may see some unusual numbers on defense. And there is always one or two players that expand one group 1 more above it's actual number. I like Bless but I think he is far from safe. He was good his first few games but has really tailed off since then. If I was going to guess:

Hall, MC2, Pinnock, Guidry, Echols, Dunn, Hardee and 1 of Jackson/Austin

I do not think we bring in a vet CB

yep.  i can see them having lots of secondary players, fewer linebackers, and a good number of dline.  some of the secondary players will be tweeners ;a cross between safety and linebacker.

On 6/12/2021 at 9:19 PM, peebag said:

No sh*t Captain Obvious. However, in previous years the young guys never got a chance because the coaches agreed with halfwit fans that they needed has been vets to blame if it hit the fan, and in turn the young guys didn't get first team reps. Maybe it's part of the reason this team never develops talent or much of it. So, as I stated, it's refreshing to see young guys getting a chance (not inducted to the HoF). Even if just in camp which is where player generally begin at every level...

• Upvote 3
On 6/12/2021 at 8:28 AM, Sarge4Tide said:

Probably Safe:

1. Bryce Hall
  2. Bless Austin

1. Lamar Jackson
  2. Javelin Guidry
  6. Corey Ballentine
  7. Isaiah Dunn

Longshots:

1. Elijah Campbell 
  2. Zane Lewis

How has Bless Austin looked this Spring? Is he really considered safe?

We could possibly keep 7 Corners and 3 Safeties instead of the usual 6 and 4.

• Upvote 1