Keelan Cole vs Denzel Mims

Keelan Cole

The New York Jets have upgraded the wide receiver position. Zach Wilson has a new offense, bye bye Adam Gase, and some upgraded weapons at wide out.

Check out this video as GreenBean breaks down Keelan Cole and Denzel Mims.

The post Keelan Cole vs Denzel Mims appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/Jetnationcom/~4/ZfTVzB8-cNk

Click here to read the full story...

6 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Mims needs to get his head right and figure out if this is what he wants to do for a living..Always hurt, and behind a guy that was undrafted.

Lol what? Good thing you don’t do anything football related for a living

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Athletically there is no comparison. Mims is a Ferrari with an elite athletic profile one level below the "Julio Jones" tier (population: 1) along with guys like Chris Godwin and DK Metcalf. Extending the analogy, Cole is a Jetta. Of course, athleticism is not determinism and there are WRs with underwhelming athletic profiles that excel in this league. Jarvis Landry is a good example. He had one of the worse combine performances of all time. Route running, mindset, hard work, “my ball” alpha dog mentality are things that don’t show up on a measuring tape or a stopwatch.  But if Mims does not translate his God-given gifts into a legitimate WR1 it is a massive waste of talent. Of course the league has seen plenty of guys like that, too. For all the print that Darnold was held back by his weaponz, I’m willing to give Mims a pass for a lackluster ROOKIE year catching balls from statistically the worst QB in the league. He has a much higher ceiling than Cole. Will he reach it? Time will tell…

• Upvote 1

The only issue with Mims so far has been injuries. He displayed tremendous ability to track the ball and make the catch last year with a QB whose worst trait was throwing downfield. Now he has a QB whose best trait is throwing back shoulder down the field.  Mims should thrive if he can stay healthy. With all of that being said I think there will be a healthy rotation of the top 4 WRs each game and I don't expect any of them to put up huge individual numbers. A good season from the WR group should be 3 WRs with over 70 rec. If they add a TE like Ertz then obviously this won't happen and I'd substitute Ertz for one of those WRs in the 70+ rec group.

Mims needs to start making plays throughout mini camp this week and then have a big time training camp later this summer.

If he is going to bounce in and out of practice cause of injury and just look ok when he is out there, then keelan cole will take his starting spot.

I had high hopes for Mims but after his lackluster OTAs, im officially concerned.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Barkus said:

Per camp reports mims need to work on route running. He is struggling to get separation. Cole is ahead of him at this time. 

Anything combined with softness is a bad sign. If he can’t stay on the field  he will struggle to get better. 

13 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I'll be shocked if Mims is a bust.  

Yup, I don't see Mims as a bust at all.  The real question is whether he can seize the WR2 role and how high his ceiling can be.  His floor is probably like Vyncint Smith at worst (a WR5 type) but what's his ceiling?  

6 minutes ago, Barkus said:

Per camp reports mims need to work on route running. He is struggling to get separation. Cole is ahead of him at this time. 

This was always his biggest knock. They said Baylor just didn’t run enough of the route tree to expose him to different routes. I’d link up with Elijah Moore if I were Mims & I’d have no shame in doing so. Moore can MOVE and everyone just wants to get better.

• Upvote 2
16 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

This was always his biggest knock. They said Baylor just didn’t run enough of the route tree to expose him to different routes. I’d link up with Elijah Moore if I were Mims & I’d have no shame in doing so. Moore can MOVE and everyone just wants to get better.

Mims wants  to improve his route running, Crowder is the guy, not Moore. 

• Upvote 1

I don’t think it’s Mims vs Cole as much as Mims vs the field. The other player he really needs to hold off is Moore. He’s getting pigeon-holed here a bit as a slot, but he can definitely play that Z role. And there’s little doubt in my mind right now that the Jets will be looking to get Moore involved in a variety of ways. 

Mims just needs to get healthy and do his work, though. He’s got the size and athleticism to be elite, and I’m sure the coaches want to help him reach that potential. If he needs to work on his route running, okay, but with a QB willing to throw into tight windows; a big receiver, with a large catch radius, capable of winning most 50-50 balls is a major asset whether or not he can get a ton of separation. 

• Upvote 4
4 hours ago, jgb said:

Athletically there is no comparison. Mims is a Ferrari with an elite athletic profile one level below the "Julio Jones" tier (population: 1) along with guys like Chris Godwin and DK Metcalf. Extending the analogy, Cole is a Jetta. Of course, athleticism is not determinism and there are WRs with underwhelming athletic profiles that excel in this league. Jarvis Landry is a good example. He had one of the worse combine performances of all time. Route running, mindset, hard work, “my ball” alpha dog mentality are things that don’t show up on a measuring tape or a stopwatch.  But if Mims does not translate his God-given gifts into a legitimate WR1 it is a massive waste of talent. Of course the league has seen plenty of guys like that, too. For all the print that Darnold was held back by his weaponz, I’m willing to give Mims a pass for a lackluster ROOKIE year catching balls from statistically the worst QB in the league. He has a much higher ceiling than Cole. Will he reach it? Time will tell…

berrios was a better player than mims last season with the same coach and same supporting cast-he found the endzone 3 times while mims didnt even sniff it once.

I hope Mims produces this year even half of what the Mims fan boys think he can  as folks keep mentioning him in the same breath as elite wrs in this league(which by the way is crazy) since he did not get one td last year and didnt have one 100 yard game

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, kmnj said:

berrios was a better player than mims last season with the same coach and same supporting cast-he found the endzone 3 times while mims didnt even sniff it once.

I hope Mims produces this year even half of what the Mims fan boys think he can  as folks keep mentioning him in the same breath as elite wrs in this league(which by the way is crazy) since he did not get one td last year and didnt have one 100 yard game

I said he shares an athletic profile with some elite receivers. That is a measurable fact. I did not call him an elite receiver. That can only be demonstrated on the field. Stephen Hill also had an elite athletic profile. It is not a guarantee of success but it is an indicator of potential ceiling. 

11 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Mims needs to get his head right and figure out if this is what he wants to do for a living..Always hurt, and behind a guy that was undrafted.

"always"

too funny.  Kid is 23. "Always" is the one word that definitely doesn't fit. 

"always" hahahaha

• Upvote 3
32 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

yeah, but we don’t even know if Crowder will be in a Jets uniform this year.

It would be monumentally stupid of the Jets to let Crowder walk. If they are serious about giving Zach legit receivers for him to develop with, Crowder and Davis are the only two guys on the rosters that are knowns. Letting Crowder sign with another team is going to slow him. This whole thing about a deep WR room is for fan boys. We are better than last season but unless Mims takes a giant step and Moore shows he is everything everyone hopes he is, we are not that much better. Crowder is legit. 

• Upvote 2
5 hours ago, jgb said:

Mims' issue is creating separation on breaks, a very important aspect in this offense, he did this great at the Senior Bowl but didn't do well with it on last year's tape.  He's still developing so it can be improved but is going to take a lot of detail work on his routes.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, slats said:

I don’t think it’s Mims vs Cole as much as Mims vs the field. The other player he really needs to hold off is Moore. He’s getting pigeon-holed here a bit as a slot, but he can definitely play that Z role. And there’s little doubt in my mind right now that the Jets will be looking to get Moore involved in a variety of ways. 

Mims just needs to get healthy and do his work, though. He’s got the size and athleticism to be elite, and I’m sure the coaches want to help him reach that potential. If he needs to work on his route running, okay, but with a QB willing to throw into tight windows; a big receiver, with a large catch radius, capable of winning most 50-50 balls is a major asset whether or not he can get a ton of separation. 

Agreed.  Mims and Cole can coexist on the field at the same time, they aren't competing for the same role or spot in the offense.  Different skill sets.  

As others have said, I think we as fans need to update how we think about skill position groupings.  We are stuck in the mold of thinking Guys are simply an X, Y or Z receiver.  However, much like basketball, NFL skill positions are becoming much more "positionless".  

If the Jets can find a way to creat matchup problems by having Mims and Cole on the field together, they will do it.

Another thing to keep in mind is that both Mims and Davis are outstanding blockers at the position.  With the contributions (or lack thereof) coming from the TE position, I could see the Jets getting very creative with 4 WR sets to bring in smaller defensive sub packages but still running a lot out of that set.

• Upvote 2

The challenge for Mims is simply how many WRs will be on the field at a time.

Davis and Moore should be on for most snaps.  WR3 could be some combination of Mims and Crowder with Cole as a dark horse but how many snaps will have the third WR and will they want Moore in the slot (Mims is in) or outside (Crowder is in)?

The math is tricky unless he really starts to show he can achieve his potential.