Delighted to see Denmark go through - What an emotional tournament for them. Hope they keep it going. I'd fancy them to beat Wales. 

Belgium look pretty strong, even with Hazard really declining hard. Feeling pretty good about my bet of Lukaku for top scorer, crazy how much he improved under Conte. 

England ignoring Jadon Sancho and Jack Grealish when they're starved for creativity is just hilarious. Playing two holding midfielders at home to Scotland. Genuinely gutless. Their best squad for about 15 years and they're wasting it so impressively. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s like being a Jets Fan

Those days are hopefully over.  

I am a lifelong Chelsea fan and Eden Hazard was one of our best players for many years.  I was upset when he signed with Real Madrid for 115M Euros ($137 Million).... But man what a disaster that was

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Delighted to see Denmark go through - What an emotional tournament for them. Hope they keep it going. I'd fancy them to beat Wales. 

Belgium look pretty strong, even with Hazard really declining hard. Feeling pretty good about my bet of Lukaku for top scorer, crazy how much he improved under Conte. 

England ignoring Jadon Sancho and Jack Grealish when they're starved for creativity is just hilarious. Playing two holding midfielders at home to Scotland. Genuinely gutless. Their best squad for about 15 years and they're wasting it so impressively. 

Scared to lose and creating that very outcome result. If you are one of those who anointed him off the world cup efforts (and I am one) then the blame for this mess falls squarely on Southgate's his head. 

Utterly gutless on the big stage and practically unwatchable as a result. The England story for the last 50 years.

<edited to add>

I see Mount and Chillwell are out for this game as well as the round of 16 game because of possible COVID exposure.  A pity because Mason Mount has been decent and I was hoping to see Chillwell get a look.  Still, maybe Southgate uses this game to play Grealish and Sancho, especially since finishing 2nd in the group may bring a softer game in the round of 16.

Nothing to lose boys. Play with some balls why don't you.

3 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Lukaku is a monster.  My favorite player in the tournament so far.  

Yeah, what a clutch/emotional performance by Denmark against Russia.  Can you imagine the intensity going through their fans during yesterday's match?   I would have jumped through a window with excitement.  Total bedlam.

• Upvote 1
16 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Damn that penalty France was given was a disgrace. 

There needs to be a serious look given to punishing players and/or teams after the fact for obvious dives.  That one was ridiculous and VAR didn't want to show the referee up.

Mbappe tried to get another one a few minutes later when there was literally no contact at all.  If the players are rewarded with penalty kicks even if that is only some of the time then they are going to keep on doing it.

So... Group stage is over and England get to Play Germany in the round of 16.  I wonder which Germany will show up?  The one that looked a day late and a dollar short against France or the one that laid a beating on Portugal?

I wonder which England team will show up?  The team that is afraid of it's own shadow on the big stage or the one from the last world cup that seemed to have a little more ruthlessness about them?

Who am I kidding.  We all know how this ends.  2-2 after OT with plenty of refereeing controversy to fuel fans' "we wuz robbed!" narratives. Followed by..... Germany winning on penalty kicks in a cake walk.

Rinse wash repeat.

The knockout bracket (below).  While England do get Germany in the next round, they also avoid the half of the draw that includes Belgium, Portugal, Italy, France and Spain.  Seems like a very unbalanced bracket the way things have panned out. 

image.png.9f87dfe4bea9f95972122a45fc763ddc.png

WTF is Italia doing in the second half?   Completely tight dog shyte.  Seen it happen a thousand times, we wind up losing on penalty kicks.  And that offsides on Austria was too damn close for comfort.  Putana!

17 hours ago, munchmemory said:

I will take the win.  But if we play like this with either Portugal or Belgium?  We're done.

Don’t think Italy were all that bad. Austria defended well and played with a lot of intensity.

Really enjoyable game. The extra time period was great. 

I’d expect Belgium and Netherlands to win today.

Ridiculous how weak one side of the bracket is relative to the other. Winner of England and Germany should make the final.

• Upvote 1
43 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Don’t think Italy were all that bad. Austria defended well and played with a lot of intensity.

Really enjoyable game. The extra time period was great. 

I’d expect Belgium and Netherlands to win today.

Ridiculous how weak one side of the bracket is relative to the other. Winner of England and Germany should make the final.

You're right, Italy was not awful.  They came out attacking in the first half which I really liked.  But outside of Immobile's shot off the top seven, nothing really all that dangerous in terms of potential scores.  Much of that attributed to as you say Austria's well played defense and intensity.

What I did not like was that they came out so flat in the second half.  Fortunately, the Austrian was a touch offside and those two opportune goals by Italy.  The first one off that magnificent pass from Spinazzola, as well as Chiesa's ankle breaking fake and well taken shot, was terrific.  

Yeah, absolutely agree that one side of the bracket is loaded.  Will be tough to see some of those sides go home.  I hope it's England over Germany.  But I never count those guys out.  The "balls sniffer" seems to often find a way to get his teams through.

Wow, Netherlands out.   He's been under a ton of pressure since taking over the job.  But I think de Boer now either resigns or gets canned.  Czech Republic can play.  Schick is a star.

For years, I've had the argument with family/friends about playing with 10 after a red card.  I hate the rule.  Okay, kick the guy out.  But a team should be able to substitute the player, not play with 10.   It totally changes the dynamic of the game as well as giving the other team an advantage.  Imagine an NFL playing with 10 after a player gets booted?   Of course not.  

4 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Absolute BOMB by Hazard before half.  1-0 Belgium.

Italia-Belgium in Friday's quarter final.  

And it was the other Hazard too

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

lol  I'll be honest.  I never knew he had a brother until this tournament.  Great shot.

I am a lifelong Chelsea fan and Eden Hazard was one of our best players for many years.  I was upset when he signed with Real Madrid for 115M Euros ($137 Million).... But man what a disaster that was for them,  He has never been healthy and even when he does get onto the pitch he is a shell of his former self.

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, EM31 said:

I am a lifelong Chelsea fan and Eden Hazard was one of our best players for many years.  I was upset when he signed with Real Madrid for 115M Euros ($137 Million).... But man what a disaster that was for them,  He has never been healthy and even when he does get onto the pitch he is a shell of his former self.

I followed Chelsea a bit over the years.  You guys had one of my all time favorite players, Gianfranco Zola, after he left Parma, my side before the scandals and relegation into the third division.

Eden Hazard is a fantastic player.  Really impressive in the last Wold Cup and Euros.  Fun to watch him orchestrating play.

Yeah, your'e right.  He got bit by the injury bug pretty bad.  And does not seem to have the same level of skil or speed he once possessed.

Croatia - Spain was the most exciting game of the tournament so far, unfortunately not the outcome I was pulling for.  Could never stand Spain, always a bit whiney in my opinion, but they were the better team.  

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Croatia - Spain was the most exciting game of the tournament so far, unfortunately not the outcome I was pulling for.  Could never stand Spain, always a bit whiney in my opinion, but they were the better team.  

Yeah, that match was beyond exciting to watch.  Not every day where we see eight goals.  I was hoping for Croatia, too.  Tough not to have Perišić due to Covid protocols.

Wow! Another absolute BOMB of a strike by Pogba.  France started lethargic in the first half but came out smokin' in the second.   Missed penalty by Rodriguez really changed the tempo.   Benzema with two goals as well.  Right now, 3-1 France.

EDIT:  And just like that, a great ball in and Switzerland scores.  Fun game.

EDIT Redux:  Switzerland scores in the 90th minute!  lol  3-3

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

Unreal stuff today. 

Right?!  Six goals in this one and France going home.  Shocking.  Switzerland deserved the win.  They played up tempo all match, with clutch goals.

Completely deserved for the Swiss.

They were amazing and probably should have won it in normal time. 

Nightmare of a tournament for Mbappe. Would probably haunt a player that age if he hadn’t already put together an amazing international career. 

Pogba and Xhaka were both amazing. Mourinho was dead on about Pogba, great when he wants to be and tournament football is perfect for him as he can stay focused. Hopefully that performance encourages someone to buy him because I still despise the f*cker.

France lost their edge without Griezmann and Benzema. Switzerland were always dangerous though and should have had more. Great game.

• Upvote 2

Previous Euro and World Cup winners gone.   Seeing both Portugal and France out at this stage bums me out a bit.  Happy for Switzerland on their first ever appearance in the quarters.

• Upvote 2

It really is worrying me how this tournament is opening up for England. I’d have to turn off any football related media for years if that happens.

Hopefully Germany nip that in the bud tomorrow but it’s crazy how favourable things have been for them, for the second tournament in a row too. 

2 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Completely deserved for the Swiss.

They were amazing and probably should have won it in normal time. 

Nightmare of a tournament for Mbappe. Would probably haunt a player that age if he hadn’t already put together an amazing international career. 

Pogba and Xhaka were both amazing. Mourinho was dead on about Pogba, great when he wants to be and tournament football is perfect for him as he can stay focused. Hopefully that performance encourages someone to buy him because I still despise the f*cker.

France lost their edge without Griezmann and Benzema. Switzerland were always dangerous though and should have had more. Great game.

Mbappe's first touches were a disaster all day.  My son and I called his PK miss.   Just was not his day or tournament.

I'm still pissed that Juve did not keep Pogba.  He did have a great match today.  You're right that when he decides to play, Pogba is top notch.

Why did Deschamps sub out Griezmann?  They are not the same team without their "QB".  

1 minute ago, Irish Jet said:

It really is worrying me how this tournament is opening up for England. I’d have to turn off any football related media for years if that happens.

Hopefully Germany nip that in the bud tomorrow but it’s crazy how favourable things have been for them, for the second tournament in a row too. 

I just can't go for Germany.  As much as it will pain you, I hope England lights them up.  Sorry.  lol

7 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

<nervous England fan here>

Actually I thought the tournament was opening up nicely for the Danes.

Crazy good games today,  Both of them.  Croatia missed their chance in front of goal right at the start of OT and then it all went downhill from there. 

Word of warning for teams sitting back in on a lead in a prevent defense..... Just don't do it,

None of the teams looks indestructible.  Maybe Belgium but other than those guys I have not seen any teams without weaknesses,

As an England fan I just want to see them play to win as opposed to playing not to lose which is their natural inclination.

I guess the form of Group-D held up pretty well with the Czech Republic advancing and Croatia coming within moments of doing the same.

England Vs. Germany baby !!!

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I just can't go for Germany.  As much as it will pain you, I hope England lights them up.  Sorry.  lol

It’s a very hard game to predict.

Normally Germany just have a mental edge but as much as I don’t rate Southgate, Loew with Germany looks like he just couldn’t give a sh*t anymore. His legacy is secure and when they looked to be heading out in the group he struck me as someone that would be happy it‘s over.

Germany are sort of stuck between two generations. Holdovers from that golden era like Neuer, Hummels, Kroos and Muller have looked at times like they’ve overstayed their welcome. All looked washed at the world cup. They’ve had some good seasons since but the team hasn’t really transformed like it should have. The likes of Sane and Werner have really disappointed and haven’t stepped out up.

England are sort of the opposite, they’ve had an incredible influx of talent and are producing quality players all over. But Southgate is extremely conservative and hasn’t really attempted to blood in the young talent. The fact that it took injuries for Grealish to get a look in is just ridiculous. Their squad is as good as any team left, probably better but Southgate’s negativity really holds them back. 

I keep flipping on this game. I hope Germany destroy them 4-1 again for the lolz but I wouldn’t be surprised if England grind out a 1-0 similar to what France did vs Germany in the first game. The winner will probably be the favourite given the draw.

• Like 1

I am not a soccer fan, but I will say that the two games today - Spain/Croatia and France/Switzerland were among the most exciting soccer games I ever saw.    14 goals in 2 games (10 total after half time) and many near goals. That is more than you get in 10 games most times.  And the 4 goals in the last 10 minutes in both games.  Very unusual.  

But then we get the fiasco that is penalty kicks.  As a sports fan, I can say that deciding games in a championship in this ridiculous manner is just a huge black eye for the sport.  It's equivalent to deciding an NBA playoff game with a free throw shooting contest or an NFL playoff game with a FG contest from 30 yards out.  Or a baseball game with pitchers throwing pitches and the first to throw a ball rather than a strike loses.  Can't the powers of the sport design something - anything else? How about 8 on 8 for 15 minutes after extra time and take another player off each team every 5 minutes after that until you are down to 6 on 6. At least it resembles soccer and not a skills competition where one miss out of 5 determines the winner and the goalie just guesses right or left and hopes the ball hits him or the ball misses the cage,  It is just a horrible way to decide a game.  

7 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Right?!  Six goals in this one and France going home.  Shocking.  Switzerland deserved the win.  They played up tempo all match, with clutch goals.

I remember not too long ago Switzerland was all about defense, with some ridiculous 4 game or so streak in the World Cup where they didn’t allow a goal (with the match results typically being 1-0 or 0-0).

Forgive my ignorance…When did they shift their style so drastically?  

24 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I am not a soccer fan, but I will say that the two games today - Spain/Croatia and France/Switzerland were among the most exciting soccer games I ever saw.    14 goals in 2 games (10 total after half time) and many near goals. That is more than you get in 10 games most times.  And the 4 goals in the last 10 minutes in both games.  Very unusual.  

But then we get the fiasco that is penalty kicks.  As a sports fan, I can say that deciding games in a championship in this ridiculous manner is just a huge black eye for the sport.  It's equivalent to deciding an NBA playoff game with a free throw shooting contest or an NFL playoff game with a FG contest from 30 yards out.  Or a baseball game with pitchers throwing pitches and the first to throw a ball rather than a strike loses.  Can't the powers of the sport design something - anything else? How about 8 on 8 for 15 minutes after extra time and take another player off each team every 5 minutes after that until you are down to 6 on 6. At least it resembles soccer and not a skills competition where one miss out of 5 determines the winner and the goalie just guesses right or left and hopes the ball hits him or the ball misses the cage,  It is just a horrible way to decide a game.  

That solution wouldn’t resemble the sport like you say it would.  Reducing the men on the field would be cruel.  After 120+ minutes of play now you’d have those poor saps having to cover way more ground for even more time. It wouldn’t look like soccer at all at that point. 

I wouldn’t mind perhaps extended OT, or giving teams additional subs in OT or something, but eventually you have to stop the match.  This sport is absolutely exhausting even for world class athletes and you just can’t extend the length of matches much further than they already go.

• Upvote 1