Euro 2020

SEMI-FINAL!!!  Belgio, fuori.

As I said in the beginning, I was happy if we made the quarters.   Everything else now is gravy.  

EDIT:  Just saw an Italian player walk back from the crowd with no shorts, just a jock.  LOL!  What, he gave the shorts to fan?

Congratulations on the Semi final place Munchmeory!  The best team in the tournament so far and I think clearly the favorite to emerge from the tougher half of the draw.

The better team clearly won today although there were a couple of scares in the 2nd half.

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, EM31 said:

Congratulations on the Semi final place Munchmeory!  The best team in the tournament so far and I think clearly the favorite to emerge from the tougher half of the draw.

The better team clearly won today although there were a couple of scares in the 2nd half.

Thank, man.  Chiellini was the man of the match for me.  Completely took Lukaku out of the match.  They had a few chances to score foe sure.  But I think Italy played a step faster than Belgium today.  Probably missed Hazard's playmaking.  And no way De Bruyne was 100%.

After the cluster fuk of missing the last World Cup, this feels great.  Mancini has done a phenomenal job reconstructing the team.

Ukraine are absolutely awful. Ridiculous they’re even here.

England have got favourable brackets for the second tournament running. Southgate is really blessed.

Italy were superb yesterday and have clearly been the team of the tournament which means they’re definitely losing to Spain.

26 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

England have got favourable brackets for the second tournament running. Southgate is really blessed.

Italy were superb yesterday and have clearly been the team of the tournament which means they’re definitely losing to Spain.

Never put it past any England team to find creative ways to screw it up.

Was rooting for Kane to get his hattrick on that volley.  Decent result in the end against a team it has to be said who abandoned the battlefield a bit.

Still, you can only beat the ones they put in front of you and another clean sheet is pretty impressive,

Denmark on Wednesday.

Are me and munch on a collision course I wonder?  

32 minutes ago, EM31 said:

Was rooting for Kane to get his hattrick on that volley.  Decent result in the end against a team it has to be said who abandoned the battlefield a bit.

Still, you can only beat the ones they put in front of you and another clean sheet is pretty impressive,

Denmark on Wednesday.

Are me and munch on a collision course I wonder?  

Book it.   I never count out Spain.  But this year they don't look quite as strong as their recent superb teams.  

And Denmark?  As I said, that side has some mojo.  But I think they finally fall to a much better England squad.

We shall see.   Great tournament so far.

2 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

IJ, I'm in shock that Italy is in the semi-final.  I have been disappointed in Italian squads for a while now.  Maybe Mancini is the man for the job?   They found a star in my Juve man Chiesa?  I'm hoping, but have seen my share of Italy chokes and flat out debacles before.  

Gun to my head, I think we beat Spain big.  There, now I've jinxed it.

I have had issues with the conservative starting 11's that Southgate has come up with but everything he has tried has also worked so there is that.

Not sure why he started Sancho, Saka has been really good in both performances so far I thought.  I hope he gets the starting nod in the Semi final.  I guess Harry Kane has worked his way through the mini-slump so it is all working except for the utterly predictable Kyle Walker passes to the other team which frequently lead to their best chances.

Not picking I know but he has at least one or two of those every single game.

Good luck today to my friend munchmemory and to Italy, the best team (so far) in the tournament by a mile.  Spain are so crushingly boring to watch even when they are at the top of their game.  I know England have had that problem too but with Spain the whole glacial buildup is tattooed into their chromosomes.

Plus, if England are fortunate enough to advance I don't want to hear about England getting a procession of weak sister opponents.  The results of the last two games give me some hope that we can actually trade punches with a top team and Italy certainly would meet that description.

First things first however, time for Italy to put Spain to bed tomorrow.

• Sympathy 1

On 7/3/2021 at 10:53 PM, munchmemory said:

IJ, I'm in shock that Italy is in the semi-final.  I have been disappointed in Italian squads for a while now.  Maybe Mancini is the man for the job?   They found a star in my Juve man Chiesa?  I'm hoping, but have seen my share of Italy chokes and flat out debacles before.  

Gun to my head, I think we beat Spain big.  There, now I've jinxed it.

All logic says Italy should win but so often the most eye catching team falls in the semi's, to an unheralded but dangerous team that's flown under the radar.

Spain have really, really good players and are technically adept as anyone. Will be interesting to see who has most of the ball in this game as both have been dominant in possession all tournament. It will be interesting if Italy find is as easy against a team who can control the game like Spain do, a totally different proposition to anything they've played. 

I'm rooting hard for Italy. Spinazzola is a huge loss as him and Insigne just dominate down that left flank - No way a guy like Emerson can provide that same threat. I think Italy are much better defensively and that could see them through but damn it could be close. They've both been great of late so I expect a great game. 

• Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, EM31 said:

Good luck today to my friend munchmemory and to Italy, the best team (so far) in the tournament by a mile.  Spain are so crushingly boring to watch even when they are at the top of their game.  I know England have had that problem too but with Spain the whole glacial buildup is tattooed into their chromosomes.

Plus, if England are fortunate enough to advance I don't want to hear about England getting a procession of weak sister opponents.  The results of the last two games give me some hope that we can actually trade punches with a top team and Italy certainly would meet that description.

First things first however, time for Italy to put Spain to bed tomorrow.

Thanks, man.   Right back at ya for tomorrow.   

Just back from an hour-long walk as I'm so nervous about this afternoon's match.  But don't worry, I'm freshly showered and have placed a bunch of Sam Adams and white wine which I'm about to hit.  lol

25 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

All logic says Italy should win but so often the most eye catching team falls in the semi's, to an unheralded but dangerous team that's flown under the radar.

Spain have really, really good players and are technically adept as anyone. Will be interesting to see who has most of the ball in this game as both have been dominant in possession all tournament. It will be interesting if Italy find is as easy against a team who can control the game like Spain do, a totally different proposition to anything they've played. 

I'm rooting hard for Italy. Spinazzola is a huge loss as him and Insigne just dominate down that left flank - No way a guy like Emerson can provide that same threat. I think Italy are much better defensively and that could see them through but damn it could be close. They've both been great of late so I expect a great game. 

You're so right about Spinazzola and Insigne working together on the flank.  His injury is a crushing blow.  Might be the difference in the match.  

As I said in another post, I never count out a technically proficient team like Spain.  I'm hoping Immobile and Chiesa can put a couple in the net and close this one down early.

2 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Thanks, man.   Right back at ya for tomorrow.   

Just back from an hour-long walk as I'm so nervous about this afternoon's match.  But don't worry, I'm freshly showered and have placed a bunch of Sam Adams and white wine which I'm about to hit.  lol

OK I tried to leave you alone but Sam Adams AND White wine?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, EM31 said:

OK I tried to leave you alone but Sam Adams AND White wine?

LOL!  Not saying that I'm mixing them (at least right now, I'm not).  Just cooling in the fridge at the ready should the mood hit.  

Dude, time has stood still.  Just made pizza dough looking to take my mind off the match.   I have some leftover grilled Italian sausage which should make a nice topping.  

Okay, there's another minute gone by....Aaaahhhh!

20 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

LOL!  Not saying that I'm mixing them (at least right now, I'm not).  Just cooling in the fridge at the ready should the mood hit.  

Dude, time has stood still.  Just made pizza dough looking to take my mind off the match.   I have some leftover grilled Italian sausage which should make a nice topping.  

Okay, there's another minute gone by....Aaaahhhh!

I am always on pins an needles to just get through the first five minutes and settle into the game without something stupid happening like and own goal or red card against.

Go Italy!!!

• Upvote 1