Euro 2020

Question (and I'm not being disrespectful ). Why when discussing soccer, do people in the US act like the British and use the plural when talking about a team, but don't do this with US sports. For example, why in soccer is it "Italy were brilliant" but  in other sports "Tampa Bay was dominant?" A team is a singular entity. the Italy national team is one team - singular. Why treat a singular item as a plural? It baffles me. 

And he still made the save.  World class keeper and scumbag fans.  Also clueless referee.

England have been charged by UEFA after Denmark goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel was targeted with a laser during the deciding moment of their Euro 2020 semifinal victory at Wembley on Wednesday.

The laser was pointed at Schmeichel as England captain Harry Kane stepped up to take a penalty in extra time. The Leicester City goalkeeper initially saved Kane's spot kick, despite the green light on his face, but Kane tapped in the rebound to send England into Sunday's final against Italy.

UEFA also have opened proceedings against England for the lighting of fireworks by their supporters and disturbances caused by fans during the Denmark national anthem.

In a statement UEFA said: "Disciplinary proceedings have been opened following the UEFA EURO 2020 semifinal match between England and Denmark (2-1), played on 7 July at Wembley Stadium, London."

The laser incident continues the controversy surrounding the penalty that was given after Raheem Sterling fell under the challenge of Mathias Jensen. The contact looked minimal, and a video review was needed, but after a brief wait, the decision stood.

Denmark coach Kasper Hjulmand was unable to hide his frustration at the decision to award the penalty, which eliminated his side from the tournament.

England are looking to win their first major trophy since the 1966 World Cup and play Italy in the European Championship final at Wembley on Sunday.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/england-eng/story/4429423/euro-2020-england-charged-after-kasper-schmeichel-lasered-before-harry-kane-penalty

20 hours ago, EM31 said:

Agree to disagree on that.  The earlier non-call on Kane was a far bigger mistake by the Ref IMO.  Maybe he got word at the end of regulation that he had screwed it up and that influenced the Sterling call.

Fair enow…I was waiting for Denmark to make the adjustment and put a faster defender on Sterling…maybe they put the fastest guy they had on it and he just wasn’t fast enough…but as the game went towards full time, it became harder and harder for DEN to mark Sterling…they could scarcely keep up and they couldn’t knock him off the ball…and the way ENG drained the clock at the end of extra time was a clinic in one touch football (no; not ours; the other one…)

2 hours ago, Awesumtenor said:

Fair enow…I was waiting for Denmark to make the adjustment and put a faster defender on Sterling…maybe they put the fastest guy they had on it and he just wasn’t fast enough…but as the game went towards full time, it became harder and harder for DEN to mark Sterling…they could scarcely keep up and they couldn’t knock him off the ball…and the way ENG drained the clock at the end of extra time was a clinic in one touch football (no; not ours; the other one…)

Italy close the spaces on keep-away football really really fast and we are significantly less good at it than Spain.  If we try that against them then I fear there will be slew of turnovers as a result.  Caution to the wind and just attack, attack, attack is what is needed.  Run at the other team and unleash the pace of Mount, Sterling and Saka.  The same way Chelsea tamed Real Madrid and Manchester City.  It was a joy to behold.  Pity we don't have Pulisic.  I doubt Southgate will try that but who knows.

@munchmemory

Well, today is the day buddy.  i promised my daughters that if England made the final I would let them paint my face with the English flag and do the event up right.  I may even have to change my avatar if we win.

Good luck today but not too much !!!!

Your team have been the better side throughout the tournament and I think home field is completely overrated except for maybe giving a team extra legs in OT or something.  This is Italy's final to lose.  Personally I hope that Southgate embraces the moment and selects an attack-minded starting 11 but  I suspect he will gravitate back to his conservative roots with a plan to get any offense from a fast break and set pieces in the air.

For the good of casual spectators it might be a better game to watch if Italy take the lead because then I think England would be forced to open up and attack freely.

Please God let it not end in penalties

@Irish Jet

It will be misery for one of us today but relief and satisfaction for the other so there is that.

• Post of the Week 1

@EM31 Although it would be criminal to lose that now-JN-iconic shot, I think you in "Puddy-like" face painting is a hilarious concept.  You're a great Dad for allowing your young gal to do it.  I did my share of that stuff, too when my guy was a kid.

Anyway, not too much "buona fortuna" to you as well.  I'm just hoping for a competitive, and entertaining, match.  Last thing I want is some dull defensive effort by both teams hoping for penalties.  And as someone who would have been elated with Italy going to the quarter final, this is all gravy.  But now that they got here, you just don't want to choke.

I've mentioned him a couple of times in this thread.  But the one guy who scares me is not Kane (am I allowed to say he's a tad overrated?), but Sterling.  He drives your offense and seems impossible to stop on his runs of the left side.  Praying Chellini and Bonucci shut him down early.

Lastly, I'm not entirely sold that it's Italy's match to lose.  They looked totally out of gas during the latter portion of the match with Spain.  Gun to my head, though?   Italy 4-0 today.  lol  Seriously, I'm predicting Italy 2-1 in a hard fought effort by both squads.

Enjoy the game with your family.  I'm going to need "early imbibing" to calm my nerves.   Good luck.

2 hours ago, munchmemory said:

@EM31 Although it would be criminal to lose that now-JN-iconic shot, I think you in "Puddy-like" face painting is a hilarious concept.  You're a great Dad for allowing your young gal to do it.  I did my share of that stuff, too when my guy was a kid.

Anyway, not too much "buona fortuna" to you as well.  I'm just hoping for a competitive, and entertaining, match.  Last thing I want is some dull defensive effort by both teams hoping for penalties.  And as someone who would have been elated with Italy going to the quarter final, this is all gravy.  But now that they got here, you just don't want to choke.

I've mentioned him a couple of times in this thread.  But the one guy who scares me is not Kane (am I allowed to say he's a tad overrated?), but Sterling.  He drives your offense and seems impossible to stop on his runs of the left side.  Praying Chellini and Bonucci shut him down early.

Lastly, I'm not entirely sold that it's Italy's match to lose.  They looked totally out of gas during the latter portion of the match with Spain.  Gun to my head, though?   Italy 4-0 today.  lol  Seriously, I'm predicting Italy 2-1 in a hard fought effort by both squads.

Enjoy the game with your family.  I'm going to need "early imbibing" to calm my nerves.   Good luck.

The more you see of Harry Kane you will come around to the idea that he is actually underrated and not the other way around.  He is slow as hell and not really a dribbler so I understand why some feel he is overrated but throw all of the out the window.  He is smart and he sees things others do not see.  I hate to say it about a Spurs man but he is lethal in front of net and he has recently been better or just as good as an assist man and not just as a scorer.  I think the EPL is the acid test week in an week out for the world's top players and he is viewed as one of the top scoring threats if not THE top scoring threat in the entire EPL.  With that said, Harry Kane has not been at his best here maybe because of the well reported contract uncertainty.  Let's see which one shows up today.

Sterling is an enigma.  This tournament has been his best showing by far in his career.  In big games he is a nightmare for defenders because he likes to run at them and he flops so early and so often he is frequently a concern to pick up a soft penalty decision.  For all of the chances he makes he is awful in front of goal.  Clueless.  He could have had 7 or 8 in this tournament alone if he knew how to finish.  Maybe Timo Werner is more inept in front of net but if so then Sterling is a close 2nd.

I am not really a big fan of Grealish (another flopper) but that puts me very much in the minority.  He seems to be the English fan favorite right now.

I am biased as a Chelsea fan but I think Mason Mount is one of the key players who can unlock any side at any time and maybe today is the day for him to do that.  Not as a scorer necessarily but as a player who opens the door with a creative play.

Saka seems fearless which is what is needed today and it may just end up being the heading ability of Stones. Maguire or Kane where England could have an advantage if their play in the open field can generate enough set piece chances.

Oh and "my girls" are 32 and 29 respectively so this isn't daddy indulging his babies or maybe that is exactly what it is.

I stated my concerns in another post that England are frequently pressured of give the ball away when pressed and the Italian press is better than any they have faced so far.  But let's see, if they can beat the press they have the pace to attack quickly and maybe get the Italy team to back off a bit.

I am also not convinced about exactly how solid Pickford really is.  The good parts are good but he has had some cringeworthy moments too.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

@EM31  Thanks for the education on Kane (who I like, btw) and the rest of the England squad.  Totally agree that Kane is lethal near the net.  He's a killer in that spot like Phil Esposito for Boston/Rangers a century ago.

My wife works for a company of Brits.  So I have heard the same about Sterling and his penchant for flopping and screwing up easy goals.  I don't know his play all that well.  But he's been really impressive.    One of the Brits in the company told her that during the other day's match with Denmark, the country saw record beer sales.  lol

And that's so funny about your girls.  I really was thinking they were little kids.  Although compared to me at 65, they are.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

@EM31  Thanks for the education on Kane (who I like, btw) and the rest of the England squad.  Totally agree that Kane is lethal near the net.  He's a killer in that spot like Phil Esposito for Boston/Rangers a century ago.

My wife works for a company of Brits.  So I have heard the same about Sterling and his penchant for flopping and screwing up easy goals.  I don't know his play all that well.  But he's been really impressive.    One of the Brits in the company told her that during the other day's match with Denmark, the country saw record beer sales.  lol

And that's so funny about your girls.  I really was thinking they were little kids.  Although compared to me at 65, they are.

Props for the ("trader Phil") Esposito reference.   I am a Rangers fan so it is not lost on me.

Tick, tick. tick.  A little more than an hour to go.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, EM31 said:

Props for the ("trader Phil") Esposito reference.   I am a Rangers fan so it is not lost on me.

Tick, tick. tick.  A little more than an hour to go.

Time has stood still.  Doing laundry just to keep busy.  Wine has been opened, too.  

Friggin' Espo was unbelievable in front of goal.  One of the best acquisitions the Rangers ever made.  Even sweeter was that his gift was removed from the Bruins. 

9 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Time has stood still.  Doing laundry just to keep busy.  Wine has been opened, too.  

Friggin' Espo was unbelievable in front of goal.  One of the best acquisitions the Rangers ever made.  Even sweeter was that his gift was removed from the Bruins. 

Marcel Dionne was a similar kind of sniper in front of net who came to us late on in his career for a short time.

• Upvote 1

One positive thing is that literally all the talking heads picked Italy yesterday.  All 8 or 9 of them obviously except for "Maca" (Steve McManaman) of course.

Last time so many experts agreed was when Mike Tyson beat Buster Douglas.  Oh wait....

• Haha 1

Taking nothing away from England's play/effort, Italy has played like hot garbage.  Not sure WTF this defense is doing, but England has the left side flank open all day.  So far, England out playing Italy by a mile.  I think the Italian goal is coming (Chiesa actually froze the UK keeper) if Mancini can change the tactics a bit.

Not a big fan, but watching this. England is getting every call IMO. Italy has not been the same since Chiesa left the game.  One observation is the ridiculous amount of diving/embellishment.  The physical contact in other sports - hockey for example- is so much greater and frequent, but these players go down writhing any time they are touched in any way.

I sure hope this game doesn't come down to penalty kicks, which is the single worst way to decide a game in all of sports. 

• Upvote 1

Did not want to say this earlier:  My Dad died last year.  He was the biggest, most rabid, Juve/Italia fan ever.  This is the first tournament that I have watched with him no longer around.  Was thinking about him throughout this Euro 2020.

EM31, sorry for the loss.  England played well the entire match.  Great game to watch.  My throat is destroyed.