Jets and Jameson Crowder agree to contract restructuring (merged)

Bronx

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/86883/new-york-jets-can-live-without-jamison-crowder-in-new-look-receiving-corps

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- A look at what's happening around the New York Jets:

1. Crowder a goner? A year ago, the Jets' wide-receiver situation was so dire that they opened the season with Chris Hogan in the starting lineup -- the same Hogan who is now playing professional lacrosse. The position has improved to the point where -- this might sound crazy -- leading wide receiver Jamison Crowder is expendable.

The additions of Corey Davis, Keelan Cole and rookie Elijah Moore, one of the best players on the field during the three-week period of organized team activities, have given the Jets a surplus that could trigger other roster moves. They're loaded in the slot, with Crowder, Moore and Braxton Berrios, who also shined during OTAs. Cole, too, has plenty of experience in the slot.

Crowder's future is uncertain. The Jets want him back, according to coach Robert Saleh, but they're trying to get him to take at least a 50% pay cut on his $10 million salary (non-guaranteed). He skipped the voluntary OTAs because of the contract squabble. This week's minicamp is mandatory. Saleh said he expects Crowder to attend, but he didn't sound certain.

The Jets have options. They can release Crowder if he doesn't agree to the pay cut, using some of the $10 million savings to sign free agent Morgan Moses, who would be an upgrade over George Fant at right tackle. Fant could be the backup swing tackle, an important insurance policy with Mekhi Becton dealing with a foot issue (plantar fasciitis). The Jets remain interested in Moses, who visited recently.

Technically, New York has enough cap room to keep Crowder and sign Moses, but they could be looking to save some cash after doling out nearly $80 million guaranteed in free agency.

If the Jets and Crowder agree to a restructured contract, it won't preclude them from trading him. If Moore continues to impress, what's the point of keeping Crowder? Saleh called Moore, drafted 34th overall, a "dynamic young man" with excellent versatility.

Crowder, who turns 28 on Thursday, is a good player, but he's coming off a 699-yard season and has the 16th-highest cap charge ($11.4 million) among wide receivers. He's in the final year of his contract and will leave as a free agent after the season. If the Jets can get something for him, they should do it, clearing the way for Moore.

2. Easy does it: Saleh's mantra is "All gas, no brake" -- except when it comes to quarterback Zach Wilson.

Perhaps trying to control the hype, Saleh tapped the brake when asked to give a progress report on the No. 2 overall pick. He said he couldn't give an accurate assessment because everything is peachy now and the "best learning comes through adversity and conflict. ... Until we hit adversity will we be able to learn more about each other and how we handle things."

Back in the day, former coach Bill Parcells expressed a similar sentiment a different way: "Let's not put him in Canton yet, fellas."

Wilson, taking all the first-team reps, was solid, if not stellar in OTAs. Not once in the five practices open to the media did he look like an overwhelmed rookie -- and that's encouraging. With no veteran quarterbacks on the roster, the Jets are in full "Get-Wilson-ready-to-start" mode.   

3. Out of this world: Defensive end Carl Lawson, who received a big contract (three years, $45 million), has big, big expectations for himself. He wouldn't share his specific goals, except to say he wants to be "otherworldly." Yeah, he said that.

"I feel like the sky's the limit, but this is life," Lawson said. "Not every goal you set is going to happen because there are external factors, but I will do everything in my power to reach my highest level of potential and what I think I can possibly be, which is otherworldly."

Otherworldly would mean producing more than he did with the Cincinnati Bengals -- 20 sacks in four years. That's a pedestrian number, but his pass rush win rate in that span (18.9%) was impressive and ranked 29th, per ESPN Stats & Information. That was a shade below Chicago Bears star Khalil Mack (19.3%). The Jets expect him to turn some of those "wins" into sacks.

4. Under the radar: A handful of non-starters stood out in the OTAs, including defensive end Bryce Huff, safety J.T. Hassell, rookie cornerback Isaiah Dunn, defensive tackle Tanzel Smart and wide receiver Manasseh Bailey. Defensive end Jabari Zuniga, whose rookie season was a washout because of injuries, flashed on occasion. With added competition on the defensive line, his roster spot isn't a gimme.

Another 2020 draft pick, safety Ashtyn Davis, didn't participate due to a significant foot injury last season. He attended meetings, but missed out on much-needed practice reps. Davis, who started six games as a rookie, probably is looking at a backup role.

5. Survivor: In a transient profession, special teams coordinator Brant Boyer is an outlier. He's in his sixth year with the Jets, which means he's working for his third head coach.

After last season's 2-14 disaster, which resulted in coach Adam Gase's ouster, Boyer went fishing for five days in Nevada. When he heard Saleh had been hired in late January, he flew back to New Jersey, figuring it would be a good idea to get some face time with the new boss and interview to keep his job.

"I'm pretty damn lucky," Boyer said of his longevity.

Lucky and good.

6. Did you know? The Jets have gone five straight years without a 1,000-yard receiving season by an individual -- the longest active drought in the league. They have a few "longest active droughts." Maybe we should call them LADs.

7. Quiet, please: For two years under Gase, the loudest voice on the practice field belonged to that of defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, who wasn't shy about raising the decibel level. His successor, Jeff Ulbrich, isn't the yelling type. Truth be told, Saleh doesn't want his coaches to be yellers.

Count that as Difference No. 136 between the current and previous staffs.

Here's another one: Unlike Gase and Williams, who were joined together in an arranged marriage by the previous front office, Saleh and Ulbrich are old friends who share a similar defensive philosophy. The "secret sauce," as Ulbrich put it, is simplicity and players first. In other words, there will be player-friendly schemes that aren't difficult to master, that emphasize fundamentals and technique over smoke and mirrors.

This is a departure from the Williams way, which relied on exotic fronts to confuse opponents. He liked to brag he had more than 40 different fronts in his playbook. It worked pretty well in 2019 before everything went sideways last season.

The Saleh/Ulbrich method is good because it should allow them to integrate young players quickly into the season, and we all know the Jets have a lot of young players. The downside: Simple works if you have the horses, but the Jets still don't have enough to win on talent alone. This will be a process, and there will be growing pains.

What's important is getting the players to buy in. So far, so good, according to linebacker Jarrad Davis. Speaking of Ulbrich and the defensive assistants, Davis said their enthusiasm is "just leaking out of them, oozing off them. When we're itchy, they know what to scratch."

8. The last word: "He's a dog, man. I like Zach Wilson. He has a lot to learn and there's going to be a lot of pressure, but he's good with it and he's slinging the ball." -- Jets running back Tevin Coleman.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

like the article says they can keep crowder without any salary cap issues.  but at the same time doesn't the surplus cap carry over to the next season?  if so, that few million they'd save by cutting crowder may be what it takes to land a top player or help retain some of their own.we'll see what happens.  crowder has been a pretty reliable receiver and knows how to ad lib.  as for the coaches, dungy seems to be the coach i think of most when talking about a guy who didn't yell.  caldwell is another.  i doubt if the bellichicken yells and i also doubt parcells yelled all that much.  it's just too hard to communicate very well if ones ears are ringing.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

31 minutes ago, Bronx said:

Work From Home Animation GIF by Deskey Branding

Screenshot_20210613-103219.png

i guess todd is on that list too.  it's really too bad because 2015 showed that he was capable of coaching the team if the players were decent.  i firmly believe it was the whole fitzy holding out and letting geno and the hitman divide the team.

• Upvote 2

I think Crowder caves and takes the pay cut. No one else is giving him $10M this year, and even $5M would be a lot at this stage of the game with the reduced cap and all. I understand his frustration, but his situation has changed with Davis, Cole, and Moore added to the team. He should suck it up and win the starting slot job. That’s his ticket to a good contract next year when he’s a free agent from the get go. 

But a Jabari Zuniga mention? Occasional flashes? That’s encouraging! 

• Upvote 4

58 minutes ago, slats said:

I think Crowder caves and takes the pay cut. No one else is giving him $10M this year, and even $5M would be a lot at this stage of the game with the reduced cap and all. I understand his frustration, but his situation has changed with Davis, Cole, and Moore added to the team. He should suck it up and win the starting slot job. That’s his ticket to a good contract next year when he’s a free agent from the get go. 

But a Jabari Zuniga mention? Occasional flashes? That’s encouraging! 

Exactly, this was burying the lead in my mind!  I’d like to hear more about these “flashes”, as I hadn’t seen that reported elsewhere yet.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

If Zach is accurate during live games like he is in shorts playing catch then Crowder may want to stay. If Zach doesn’t sh*t himself, fall to bits in live games,  his quick release and accuracy should make the wideouts do very well especially after the catch. 

The biggest reason Crowder should give in is he’ll get more money in 2021 than he would anywhere else, even after taking the pay cut. 

If Douglas converts it all into guaranteed money it’s a no brainer for him and his agent. 

• Upvote 1

I don't know how many more times I can say this. I want Jamison Crowder on this team in 2021, and I wouldn't mind if we extended him until 2022. If we are trying to develop a QB, the last thing you do is move on from solid WR's. You're allowed to have more than two or three talented wide receivers on one team.  Injuries are inevitable. See: 2020 Jets

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Cimini sucks.  Keep Crowder. Injuries happen in the league and Davis will miss a lot of practice time the same as he did in TN. Hope he doesn’t miss games because if he does we will need Crowder. We have the money. This isn’t a time to let go one of your better players when our receivers are just an ok group. Hopefully Mims shows he is reliable and we actually have a really solid group but June 15 is not the time to assume you can let Crowder go for cap future savings. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Bronx said:

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/86883/new-york-jets-can-live-without-jamison-crowder-in-new-look-receiving-corps

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- A look at what's happening around the New York Jets:

1. Crowder a goner? A year ago, the Jets' wide-receiver situation was so dire that they opened the season with Chris Hogan in the starting lineup -- the same Hogan who is now playing professional lacrosse. The position has improved to the point where -- this might sound crazy -- leading wide receiver Jamison Crowder is expendable.

The additions of Corey Davis, Keelan Cole and rookie Elijah Moore, one of the best players on the field during the three-week period of organized team activities, have given the Jets a surplus that could trigger other roster moves. They're loaded in the slot, with Crowder, Moore and Braxton Berrios, who also shined during OTAs. Cole, too, has plenty of experience in the slot.

Crowder's future is uncertain. The Jets want him back, according to coach Robert Saleh, but they're trying to get him to take at least a 50% pay cut on his $10 million salary (non-guaranteed). He skipped the voluntary OTAs because of the contract squabble. This week's minicamp is mandatory. Saleh said he expects Crowder to attend, but he didn't sound certain.

The Jets have options. They can release Crowder if he doesn't agree to the pay cut, using some of the $10 million savings to sign free agent Morgan Moses, who would be an upgrade over George Fant at right tackle. Fant could be the backup swing tackle, an important insurance policy with Mekhi Becton dealing with a foot issue (plantar fasciitis). The Jets remain interested in Moses, who visited recently.

Technically, New York has enough cap room to keep Crowder and sign Moses, but they could be looking to save some cash after doling out nearly $80 million guaranteed in free agency.

If the Jets and Crowder agree to a restructured contract, it won't preclude them from trading him. If Moore continues to impress, what's the point of keeping Crowder? Saleh called Moore, drafted 34th overall, a "dynamic young man" with excellent versatility.

Crowder, who turns 28 on Thursday, is a good player, but he's coming off a 699-yard season and has the 16th-highest cap charge ($11.4 million) among wide receivers. He's in the final year of his contract and will leave as a free agent after the season. If the Jets can get something for him, they should do it, clearing the way for Moore.

2. Easy does it: Saleh's mantra is "All gas, no brake" -- except when it comes to quarterback Zach Wilson.

Perhaps trying to control the hype, Saleh tapped the brake when asked to give a progress report on the No. 2 overall pick. He said he couldn't give an accurate assessment because everything is peachy now and the "best learning comes through adversity and conflict. ... Until we hit adversity will we be able to learn more about each other and how we handle things."

Back in the day, former coach Bill Parcells expressed a similar sentiment a different way: "Let's not put him in Canton yet, fellas."

Wilson, taking all the first-team reps, was solid, if not stellar in OTAs. Not once in the five practices open to the media did he look like an overwhelmed rookie -- and that's encouraging. With no veteran quarterbacks on the roster, the Jets are in full "Get-Wilson-ready-to-start" mode.   

3. Out of this world: Defensive end Carl Lawson, who received a big contract (three years, $45 million), has big, big expectations for himself. He wouldn't share his specific goals, except to say he wants to be "otherworldly." Yeah, he said that.

"I feel like the sky's the limit, but this is life," Lawson said. "Not every goal you set is going to happen because there are external factors, but I will do everything in my power to reach my highest level of potential and what I think I can possibly be, which is otherworldly."

Otherworldly would mean producing more than he did with the Cincinnati Bengals -- 20 sacks in four years. That's a pedestrian number, but his pass rush win rate in that span (18.9%) was impressive and ranked 29th, per ESPN Stats & Information. That was a shade below Chicago Bears star Khalil Mack (19.3%). The Jets expect him to turn some of those "wins" into sacks.

4. Under the radar: A handful of non-starters stood out in the OTAs, including defensive end Bryce Huff, safety J.T. Hassell, rookie cornerback Isaiah Dunn, defensive tackle Tanzel Smart and wide receiver Manasseh Bailey. Defensive end Jabari Zuniga, whose rookie season was a washout because of injuries, flashed on occasion. With added competition on the defensive line, his roster spot isn't a gimme.

Another 2020 draft pick, safety Ashtyn Davis, didn't participate due to a significant foot injury last season. He attended meetings, but missed out on much-needed practice reps. Davis, who started six games as a rookie, probably is looking at a backup role.

5. Survivor: In a transient profession, special teams coordinator Brant Boyer is an outlier. He's in his sixth year with the Jets, which means he's working for his third head coach.

After last season's 2-14 disaster, which resulted in coach Adam Gase's ouster, Boyer went fishing for five days in Nevada. When he heard Saleh had been hired in late January, he flew back to New Jersey, figuring it would be a good idea to get some face time with the new boss and interview to keep his job.

"I'm pretty damn lucky," Boyer said of his longevity.

Lucky and good.

6. Did you know? The Jets have gone five straight years without a 1,000-yard receiving season by an individual -- the longest active drought in the league. They have a few "longest active droughts." Maybe we should call them LADs.

7. Quiet, please: For two years under Gase, the loudest voice on the practice field belonged to that of defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, who wasn't shy about raising the decibel level. His successor, Jeff Ulbrich, isn't the yelling type. Truth be told, Saleh doesn't want his coaches to be yellers.

Count that as Difference No. 136 between the current and previous staffs.

Here's another one: Unlike Gase and Williams, who were joined together in an arranged marriage by the previous front office, Saleh and Ulbrich are old friends who share a similar defensive philosophy. The "secret sauce," as Ulbrich put it, is simplicity and players first. In other words, there will be player-friendly schemes that aren't difficult to master, that emphasize fundamentals and technique over smoke and mirrors.

This is a departure from the Williams way, which relied on exotic fronts to confuse opponents. He liked to brag he had more than 40 different fronts in his playbook. It worked pretty well in 2019 before everything went sideways last season.

The Saleh/Ulbrich method is good because it should allow them to integrate young players quickly into the season, and we all know the Jets have a lot of young players. The downside: Simple works if you have the horses, but the Jets still don't have enough to win on talent alone. This will be a process, and there will be growing pains.

What's important is getting the players to buy in. So far, so good, according to linebacker Jarrad Davis. Speaking of Ulbrich and the defensive assistants, Davis said their enthusiasm is "just leaking out of them, oozing off them. When we're itchy, they know what to scratch."

8. The last word: "He's a dog, man. I like Zach Wilson. He has a lot to learn and there's going to be a lot of pressure, but he's good with it and he's slinging the ball." -- Jets running back Tevin Coleman.

PLEASE RETITLE TO WE CAN DO WITHOUT CROWDER AND MOSELY.  

Brant Boyer sucks, must have been a thin crop in ST coordinators.

• Thumb Down 1

Hopefully we extend his contract for one year and keep the money the same.  That way Crowder gets his 10 million and we keep him for two seasons.  It seems like a fair compromise.  He is a solid slot guy.  We could do a lot worse (and have).  Working against it is Keenan Cole who signed for short money and has always played well.  Methinks Cole signed for too little. 

38 minutes ago, clayton163v said:

Hopefully we extend his contract for one year and keep the money the same.  That way Crowder gets his 10 million and we keep him for two seasons.  It seems like a fair compromise.  He is a solid slot guy.  We could do a lot worse (and have).  Working against it is Keenan Cole who signed for short money and has always played well.  Methinks Cole signed for too little. 

Why would Crowder cut his salary in half for 2 years, when he would easily make more money in free agency in 2021. It's not like he is old.

Lets say Crowder gets cut for not taking a pay cut. He would still get 5mil this year from a team like the Pats, Lions, Falcons or Colts. In the following off-season, he could easily get a 3 year, 30 Mil contract if he continues his current level of play.

• Upvote 4

who says he’d make 10 mil on open market? i doubt that - a good maybe very good slot receiver but top tier money in a cash strapped off season? i most definitely want him back but football is a tough business - i’m pretty sure my life would be good good good if i was taking in 5 mil this year - and the bottom line is his agent has to understand the market for slot receivers in general and crowder in particular- if they believe they can get closer to 10 mil if the jets cut him then he should call their bluff - if not he should negotiate in good faith and take the best deal jd will offer - we’re gonna know soon i’m sure

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

32 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

This is so strange. Why? What is the point of this? Guy was a warrior for this team last season and has zero reason to take a pay cut. They'll cut him and he'll get a 2-3 year deal from someone else and have choices on where he goes...

Corner or an OT

9 minutes ago, Larz said:

Corner or an OT

What do those things have to do with this? The Jets don't need to free up space for those things. Certainly not to the extent that they need to play hardball with crowder.

33 minutes ago, ncjetman said:

who says he’d make 10 mil on open market? i doubt that - a good maybe very good slot receiver but top tier money in a cash strapped off season? i most definitely want him back but football is a tough business - i’m pretty sure my life would be good good good if i was taking in 5 mil this year - and the bottom line is his agent has to understand the market for slot receivers in general and crowder in particular- if they believe they can get closer to 10 mil if the jets cut him then he should call their bluff - if not he should negotiate in good faith and take the best deal jd will offer - we’re gonna know soon i’m sure

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

You're too focused on what he'd make in salary this year. It's not rocket science here...Crowder would very, very likely sign a new multi-year deal that include a signing bonus. Signing bonus + salary (he'd also be getting guaranteed money) would likely be close to what he's supposed to make with the Jets this season and would certainly eclipse a paycut to "5 million" for a 1 year deal where he could be injured or whatever thus causing his ability to get a deal next offseason to be lessened. 

Crowder has no reason to take a paycut and every reason to force the Jets to pay him the full salary, extend him or cut him. 

This isn't a bell or johnson. Crowder played his heart out last season in some bad circumstances. I struggle to understand how the relationship soured with this particular player. What more did/do they want from him? I don't understand the obsession with driving him off the team.

• Upvote 2

JD thinks that right now a backup slot receiver is worth 5 million.

The longer this goes on, the worse it is for Crowder. Because I could see JD cutting him in the final cut if no one gets injured. Right now Crowder is an insurance policy. He won’t come close to 5 million in the open market around the start of the season, at best someone picks him up after the 1st game to a contract that isn’t guaranteed.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 3

9 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

What do those things have to do with this? The Jets don't need to free up space for those things. Certainly not to the extent that they need to play hardball with crowder.

You're too focused on what he'd make in salary this year. It's not rocket science here...Crowder would very, very likely sign a new multi-year deal that with signing bonus. That + salary (not to mention guaranteed money) would likely be close to what he's supposed to make with the Jets this season and would certainly eclipse "5 million" for a 1 year deal where he could be injured or whatever thus causing his ability to get a deal next offseason to be lessened. 

Crowder has no reason to take a paycut and every reason to force the Jets to pay him the full salary, extend him or cut him. 

This isn't a bell or johnson. Crowder played his heart out last season in some bad circumstances. I struggle to understand how the relationship soured with this particular player. What more did/do they want from him?

You’re right , JD is just being a dick because jets 

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

You’re right , JD is just being a dick because jets 

The Jets currently have 27 million in cap space. Are they going to be paying Moses in the realm of 30 million? Please elaborate on the corner/OT they're signing that they need 2-3 million more cap space this season?

Crowder's contact is not preventing them from signing anybody.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

If I’m Crowder no way I take the 50% pay cut. Worst case scenario for him is he gets cut. He can most likely play for a winning team for that same 5 mill. And have one more chance at a multi year deal after the season. It’s clear he doesn’t have a future with the Jets either way 

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

The Jets currently have 27 million in cap space. Are they going to be paying Moses in the realm of 30 million? Please elaborate on the corner/OT they're signing that they need 2-3 million more cap space this season?

Crowder's contact is not preventing them from signing anybody.

Subtract the rookie pool and the 10 million teams need for in season injuries and resubmit your query 

Hint the rookie pool is 16 mill 

https://overthecap.com/draft/

1 hour ago, Buffalo 24 7 said:

At some point, this becomes disrespectful to Crowder. They are asking Crowder to take less money than Kelan Cole. Crowder has earned his contract and the Jets have plenty of cap space.10 Mil for a good WR is very reasonable.

It's also pretty sh*tty to ask Crowder to take a paycut this late into the offseason. Crowder was on pace for 930 yards, and 8 Tds last year. If he was available at the start of free agency, he would have easily made 10 mil on a open market.

I also don't understand the logic of taking weapons away from a rookie QB. 

So far in his career Keelan Cole has 159 catches for 2242 yards in four years.  An average of 38 catches and 550 yards per season.  So far Crowder has produced 358 catches for 4160 yards over five years.  An average of 70 catches per year and 800 yards per season. 

Crowder has been more productive than Cole, there is no doubt about it.  But stats do not tell the whole story.  Crowder is exclusively a slot receiver and has had that job all to his own throughout his career.  Cole - at 6' 1" - has PROVEN he can play outside as well as the slot.  Thus, he offers versatility that Crowder does not.  Crowder received the rare opportunity to transcend his slot status last year when the Jets played him outside due to injuries.  Crowder failed miserably and that failure is the main reason we signed Davis AND Cole.  We compromised out prototypes and it hurt us badly.  

Do not get me wrong, I like Crowder.  I want to keep him.  But the addition of Moore makes him a luxury. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo 24 7 said:

Why would Crowder cut his salary in half for 2 years, when he would easily make more money in free agency in 2021. It's not like he is old.

Lets say Crowder gets cut for not taking a pay cut. He would still get 5mil this year from a team like the Pats, Lions, Falcons or Colts. In the following off-season, he could easily get a 3 year, 30 Mil contract if he continues his current level of play.

We disagree on his worth around the NFL.  Nobody is going to give him a three year $30 million dollar contract.  He offers experience and quickness but lacks size and speed.  It  is why I think giving him a guarantee of $10 million in exchange for an extra year is a fair offer.  It is all he is going to get on the open market imo.  Remember, the Jets now have Davis, Mims, Cole and Moore.  I would like to keep Crowder too, but it is no longer a necessity. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1