Jets and Jameson Crowder agree to contract restructuring (merged)

Bronx

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Well its a well known, often sited phrase, there is no more loved player on a NFL roster than the backup QB.

As dumb as it was when we're talking Bollinger lol

He was backup to the backup and still had to wait for Vinny who was signed off the street to come in and bomb to finally be allowed to start a game. 

BOLLYWOOD!!!! 6th round pick — could he be OUR Tom Brady?!?

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Herndon is awful and I don't think he makrs this team.  Zero dead money and over $2 million in savings of traded or cut. Right now Kroft is the starter, not Herndon.

Meh, I don't see any rush to cut Herndon.  Even if other options on the team are better, might as well let his rookie contract play out and then let him go then.  It's not like we're loaded at TE.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Meh, I don't see any rush to cut Herndon.  Even if other options on the team are better, might as well let his rookie contract play out and then let him go then.  It's not like we're loaded at TE.

And Sam Darnold sucks

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, jgb said:

I’m not debating the specific but the general. No arguments from me Chrebet didn’t deserve the love. But we also tried to give Greg Dortch a nickname… and there was even — I am not making this up — genuine enthusiasm on this very board for Brooks Bollinger becoming starter. A little overboard and detached from reality for my tastes.

When you have 0 franchise QB's on the team for 50 years, and your current QB sucks, the next QB is always a reason to get excited.  Whoever it is.  

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

When you have 0 franchise QB's on the team for 50 years, and your current QB sucks, the next QB is always a reason to get excited.  Whoever it is.  

Except Bollinger was the 4th option. 

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Name the fanbase that doest lover the underdog story.  He pointed out Invincible, that would be Philly.  Rudy, that was Notre Dame.  

The league's full of players who come seemingly out of nowhere and are loved because of it.  

Bruce Harper was a little guy who came out of nowhere.   He improvised, adapted and overcame.  I loved him for it.   

• Upvote 2

What a luxury it is to have this sort of depth at WR. We may not have many top end WR's but damn there's aren't a lot of teams with a Denzel Mims or Keelan Cole as their 5th guy. 

Having Crowder will take a lot of pressure of Zach. I know Moore looks like he's legit as hell but Crowder is that reliable safety valve underneath - The guy you look for on 3rd down against a rush. 

To think we had a game last year with Braxton Berrios and Chris Hogan as our starting WR's. 

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, Larz said:

Did you miss the point intentionally?

It seems your point was to say the Jets aren't swimming in cap space, and to obfuscate numbers to make it seem like they have less than they do.

Except...the Jets are swimming in cap space. There's nobody the Jets would like to sign that they couldn't afford & make fit. And that's even if they'd agreed to keep Crowder at his original base salary. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

16 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It seems your point was to say the Jets aren't swimming in cap space, and to obfuscate numbers to make it seem like they have less than they do.

Except...the Jets are swimming in cap space. There's nobody the Jets would like to sign that they couldn't afford & make fit. And that's even if they'd agreed to keep Crowder at his original base salary. 

No 

the point is that JD renegotiated with crowder to use the money on another contract 

not because he’s a cheap idiot because jets 

It’s just that simple 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Name the fanbase that doest lover the underdog story.  He pointed out Invincible, that would be Philly.  Rudy, that was Notre Dame.  

The league's full of players who come seemingly out of nowhere and are loved because of it.  

And in our case David Clowney and Brett Ratliffe.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

No 

The point is that JD renegotiated with crowder to use the money on another contract 

It’s just that simple 

The first law of holes, or the law of holes, is an adage which states: "if you find yourself in a hole, stop digging"

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

No 

the point is that JD renegotiated with crowder to use the money on another contract 

It’s just that simple 

Nobody is saying Joe Douglas is a cheap idiot Lars. He just works for two. 

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

What a luxury it is to have this sort of depth at WR. We may not have many top end WR's but damn there's aren't a lot of teams with a Denzel Mims or Keelan Cole as their 5th guy. 

Having Crowder will take a lot of pressure of Zach. I know Moore looks like he's legit as hell but Crowder is that reliable safety valve underneath - The guy you look for on 3rd down against a rush. 

To think we had a game last year with Braxton Berrios and Chris Hogan as our starting WR's. 

Agree. Very pleased they came to an agreement. 

Come December (or September, for all we know), with the benefit of hindsight, they may not have needed him but right now so what? With a rookie QB and all these draft picks - all of them making a fraction of what comparable veterans would cost - this is a luxury the Jets can easily afford and should pay. 

Crowder's a reliable, starter-worthy receiver; the team learned last year that it's better to have one more than needed than one less. Plus they will be in line for a comp pick should he sign elsewhere in March '22 (not a reason on its face, but it's an ancillary benefit). 

Plus I never subscribed to the idea that he should be dumped because he'll hold back rookies. If the younger guys can't beat out a WR who was just forced to take a 50% pay cut then I'm unmoved emotionally by their plight.

This is a proper pipeline. Crowder, Cole, and Berrios are all UFAs next year. The team will get a good idea of what they have with Mims & Moore this season, and how necessary it is to draft a WR high, sign another veteran WR, or if we're good with the starting 3 and just need depth and reassessment of the TE position. 

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Larz said:

No 

It’s just that simple 

Nonsense. You tried to frame it that the rookie pool and an arbitrarily-sized cushion eats up $26MM of their $27MM of cap space, and therefore they only had $1MM -- and to mock others with these "facts" as you put them out.  

If your intent was otherwise you could've just said - as many others did - it's a numbers game, Crowder just isn't worth $10MM salary, they already have 2-3 other slot receivers, and stopped there.

The Jets did not need to do anything with Crowder to sign anyone else. He put the squeeze on Crowder because he could; because the team had all the leverage and the player very little, and because he was wanted but not needed. 

The Jets could have kept Crowder at his original $10MM salary, and even with the rookie pool and enough cushion to get through the season, still could've signed another 3 FAs at RT, CB, and QB2.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, clayton163v said:

Bruce Harper was a little guy who came out of nowhere.   He improvised, adapted and overcame.  I loved him for it.   

I was going to use other examples of players who came out of nowhere, Harper was the first name who came to mind.  

On 6/13/2021 at 5:10 PM, Buffalo 24 7 said:

At some point, this becomes disrespectful to Crowder. They are asking Crowder to take less money than Kelan Cole. Crowder has earned his contract and the Jets have plenty of cap space.10 Mil for a good WR is very reasonable.

It's also pretty sh*tty to ask Crowder to take a paycut this late into the offseason. Crowder was on pace for 930 yards, and 8 Tds last year. If he was available at the start of free agency, he would have easily made 10 mil on a open market.

I also don't understand the logic of taking weapons away from a rookie QB. 

I don’t understand how anyone would want to live in Buffalo ? 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Today’s my real birthday lol. My high school crush just admitted on Facebook that she had a crush on me so I’m in a great mood

JD is a cheap jerk, I’m an idiot and the jets have unlimited cap space and everything JD does will backfire because jets 

happy Tyrsday  my pagans!!!  

26 minutes ago, Larz said:

Today’s my real birthday lol. My high school crush just admitted on Facebook that she had a crush on me so I’m in a great mood

JD is a cheap jerk, I’m an idiot and the jets have unlimited cap space and everything JD does will backfire because jets 

happy Tyrsday  my pagans!!!  

See, now I feel bad. Happy birthday!

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, slats said:

I think for Joe Douglas, this is a matter of setting precedent. He’s willing to pay market value, but he’s not willing to go over. The way he approached Crowder was probably the best way he could’ve done it from the player’s perspective, too (if it had to be done). He could’ve waited until the end of training camp when Crowder really wouldn’t’ve had any options, and that probably would’ve led to some bad blood. This way, Crowder and his agent had the opportunity to gauge the market and realize they weren’t getting any better offers, that as ugly or disappointing as it was, it was a fair offer. The business can be painful, but I think JD comes off here as an upstanding dude, trying to take care of that business in the most honest and upfront way as possible.  

I don’t think it’s any coincidence that he likes to write contracts that are three years or less. I’m sure he doesn’t want to be this position where he’s asking for pay cuts, either. 

Probably. It's a little in-between (he also could've approached Crowder an hour into day 2 of the draft after taking Moore (or right after the draft was over). But it's nothing like that scene where we watched Tannenbaum put the squeeze on Clemens like 3 hours before final cut-downs; right move for the team, I guess, but it was uncomfortable to watch. 

As far as Crowder is concerned, not wanting to be in this position wouldn't matter if it was 3 years or 5 years, though. Hopefully he's not avoiding team-favorable longer deals because he wants to avoid unpleasantness. The players know it's a business, too. If he can get someone locked up for 5 years, and wants it, hopefully he doesn't do just 3 years just in case. 

Hard to know if he likes shorter contracts as a rule, or if he just doesn't want to get in too deep with a veteran when he's got so many draft picks he's accumulated. Or maybe a little of both. Plus there's that little bonus that we either get a constant flow of comp picks (or just extend the player further, if so desired). And if he's responsible in his signings, then he doesn't have any need to amortize signing bonuses over 4-5 years instead of just 2-3.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

I still can't believe he couldn't hack it even in the short-lived AAF.  He sucked there too!  Amazing.  

Somehow he made sucking in the AAF a national story. That’s how bad he sucked.

• Upvote 1