Jets and Jameson Crowder agree to contract restructuring (merged)

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

JC and Moses in one day? That would be biblical. SAR I

Joe Douglas is an unbelievable GM btw. The guy is very methodical 

Posted Images

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

5 million a year? Be weird to have a life where you be like,”F-that man!” Haha. 

All relative how many of us would react to a 50% paycut? When I was working for a law firm during the financial crisis everyone got a 10% paycut. Boom, just like that. Your option? Swallow it or go elsewhere. I worked there for 3 more years.

• Upvote 2
9 minutes ago, Alka said:

Sign him for a 2 year $14M contract.  This year and next.  8 Million guaranteed, if the Jets cut him after this year, he still gets 1 Million next year in dead money, and he can go sign somewhere else.

Yeah in most negotiations you gotta give to get. This is a sensible compromise solution.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I sympathize with Crowder’s dilemma. Guy is a pros pro and was our best player last year. He’s done everything right, and he’s been paid handsomely for it.  But business is business. You can’t pay a part time slot-only guy 8 figures.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, David Harris said:

I sympathize with Crowder’s dilemma. Guy is a pros pro and was our best player last year. He’s done everything right, and he’s been paid handsomely for it.  But business is business. You can’t pay a part time slot-only guy 8 figures.

Part time, eh?  One minicamp and Moore is already the uncontested starter I guess? 

Doesn't have to actually beat out Crowder first?

Gotta love Jet Fan optimism.  Competition isn't needed, every draft pick is an All-Pro to come, lol.  Did you SEE that minicamp!

• Upvote 4
18 minutes ago, undertow said:

If I'm Crowder I take no pay cut the Jets aren't in need of cap space... I play it out if I get cut I go play for a winning team.

Agreed.  he has a contract.  I hate holdouts etc.. but in reverse, we can ask a player to take a cut BUT he can and has the right to leave.  

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, ncjetman said:

who says he’d make 10 mil on open market? i doubt that - a good maybe very good slot receiver but top tier money in a cash strapped off season? i most definitely want him back but football is a tough business - i’m pretty sure my life would be good good good if i was taking in 5 mil this year - and the bottom line is his agent has to understand the market for slot receivers in general and crowder in particular- if they believe they can get closer to 10 mil if the jets cut him then he should call their bluff - if not he should negotiate in good faith and take the best deal jd will offer - we’re gonna know soon i’m sure

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Even if he can only get 5 or 6 mil on the open market right now why would he choose to take that with a bad team, with a rookie QB, and a team that he has no future with rather then a winning team he can put up better numbers with going into free agency?

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

This is so strange. Why? What is the point of this? Guy was a warrior for this team last season and has zero reason to take a pay cut. They'll cut him and he'll get a 2-3 year deal from someone else and have choices on where he goes...

Agreed, I guess Douglas has his ideas of what he wants to pay guys but we don't exactly need the cap space right now and no need to get a rep if you can just let it slide this year and deal with it at the end of the year.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

This is so strange. Why? What is the point of this? Guy was a warrior for this team last season and has zero reason to take a pay cut. They'll cut him and he'll get a 2-3 year deal from someone else and have choices on where he goes...

Agreed. Kind of a sh*tty, cheapskate look.

• Upvote 2
44 minutes ago, Larz said:

Subtract the rookie pool and the 10 million teams need for in season injuries and resubmit your query 

Hint the rookie pool is 16 mill 

https://overthecap.com/draft/

Again, who's the corner or OT that the Jets are going to be handing that cap money over to? They currently have the 2nd most free space in the league. There's no player they'd give that much too regardless of how much you would rather quibble about the amount instead of answering the question. 

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Agreed. Kind of a sh*tty, cheapskate look.

Are you guys crazy ?? He is not worth the money. JD did what a good hm does looks out for the team and pays talent what they are worth.

• Thumb Down 4
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Again, who's the corner or OT that the Jets are going to be handing that cap money over to? They currently have the 2nd most free space in the league. There's no player they'd give that much too regardless of how much you would rather quibble about the amount instead of answering the question. 

So you are conceding that it’s not 27 million it’s really more like 1 million?

Wilson already took someone’s job

AVT will take someone’s job

Csrter will take someone’s job

the jets are giving crowder a chance to stay or Moore or Berries takes his job 

this is how well run teams function 

I know we’re not used to it lol

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
8 minutes ago, Larz said:

Wilson already took someone’s job

AVT will take someone’s job

Csrter will take someone’s job

the jets are giving crowder a chance to stay or Moore or Berries takes his job 

this is how well run teams function 

I know we’re not used to it lol

That's the real problem we are not use to the way a team is supposed to run. We all want it but when ever it happens it's weird and scary.

8 hours ago, Warfish said:

The usual hyperbole re: our WR is already rampant at JN, as expected.

Davis, a career #2, is already an elite #1 to some of our fans.  

Cole, basically a league afterthought before we got him, is now an elite #2.

Mims, a reliable young superstar in the making.

Moore, already the best slot in the NFL after one minimcamp.

So sure, if you believe all that already, I guess we can cut Crowder, the actual best and most reliable WR on our roster right now thru today.

If you project that all our new WR's will all be great, then everything will be great.

Just remember this if we get to ~Week 10 and Davis is hurt, Mims is hurt, and Moore has 10 catches for 90 yards all season, and we're starting Cole and Berrios at #1 and #2 WR spots.   When half the board is saying "we can't really evaluate Wilson's poor numbers because of his weak WR corps".

There is no earthly reason to let Crowder go, most certainly not over a few million in cap space.  He is Wilson Insurance.  

The Jets haven't spent to the cap in years, any claim that the saving we get from Crowder is "needed" to "get a star" is laughable.

Post of the year.  Could not have said it better.

• Upvote 1

Some of you guys are stuck in Gase Land where the slot is the primary option. Unfortunately Crowder is a casualty of scheme. The scheme requires versatility to play at different spots, he does not offer that. On ourlads, slot receiver isn't even listed as a position on the 9ers depth chart...🤔

Screenshot_20210613-132145.thumb.png.7f9ef148df84a38c9759f10ec65e9a80.png

Screenshot_20210613-133352.png

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
48 minutes ago, clayton163v said:

Cole - at 6' 1" - has PROVEN he can play outside as well as the slot.  Thus, he offers versatility that Crowder does not.  

Do not get me wrong, I like Crowder.  I want to keep him.  But the addition of Moore makes him a luxury. 

Remember, the Jets now have Davis, Mims, Cole and Moore.  I would like to keep Crowder too, but it is no longer a necessity. 

1. Jamison Crowder is a good WR in the slot. Keelan Cole is a below average starter no matter where he is on the field. 

2. No offense, but the Jets WR group isn't good enough to be calling Crowder a luxury. The Jets WR group is still near the bottom of the league unless someone has a massive breakout season.

Davis is a WR2. 

Mims hasn't done anything noteworthy. There were about 10 other Rookie Wrs who were better than him last year.

Cole is a good WR4, and a below average WR3.

Moore hasn't taken a snap in the NFL.

Using the AFCE as an example, who is getting open if Xavien Howard, Stefon Gilmore and Tredavious White shut down Corey Davis? A rookie WR, the WR who hasn't done anything, or the WR who hasn't done much in 4 years?

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1
1. Jamison Crowder is a good WR in the slot. Keelan Cole is a below average starter no matter where he is on the field. 
2. No offense, but the Jets WR group isn't good enough to be calling Crowder a luxury. The Jets WR group is still near the bottom of the league unless someone has a massive breakout season.
Davis is a WR2. 
Mims hasn't done anything noteworthy. There were about 10 other Rookie Wrs who were better than him last year.
Cole is a good WR4, and a below average WR3.
Moore hasn't taken a snap in the NFL.

Using the AFCE as an example, who is getting open if Xavien Howard, Stefon Gilmore and Tredavious White shut down Corey Davis? A rookie WR, the WR who hasn't done anything, or the WR who hasn't done much in 4 years?

The Jets receiving corp is most definitely not in the bottom of the league. Ridiculous statement.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
40 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

They have plenty of cap space, no pressing financial problems,  plenty of cash for any additional FAs they might want to grab, and plenty of room on next years projected cap.

Mims is so far underwhelming, Moore is promising but an unknown, and Cole is getting a lot of hype for a former UDFA.

Crowder is in his last year of a deal, has been nothing but a solid pro on a disaster of a team, produced despite being in the worst Offense in tye league, and is a dependable and know commodity. 

This just makes the Jets look cheap. No reason for ******* the guy.  I'd tell JD to go **** himself, and either pay me what my contract says, or cut me now. 

No way we cut him.  Either this is resolved and he is back or he is traded 

4 minutes ago, mfmartin said:

The Jets receiving corp is most definitely not in the bottom of the league. Ridiculous statement.

They are easily in the bottom 4th of the league.

Lets say you put the Jets ahead of the Eagles, Colts, Lions, Patriots, Texans, Raiders and Jaguars. That would only make them 25th at best.  

• Upvote 1
17 minutes ago, mfmartin said:

So where would rank them after a possible Crowder cut?

Davis, Cole, Mims, Moore, Berrios.

Where you ranking that group in the NFL?

Crowder was ranked 52nd in receptions last year and 54th in yards. The 50th salary for WRs is 3.5 million in the NFL. There is no way he is getting 5 million from anyone else.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Part time, eh?  One minicamp and Moore is already the uncontested starter I guess? 

Doesn't have to actually beat out Crowder first?

Gotta love Jet Fan optimism.  Competition isn't needed, every draft pick is an All-Pro to come, lol.  Did you SEE that minicamp!

Moore by all accounts has looked like a super star, literally. He will be on the field a lot next to Davis and Cole.  Yes I think he starts over Crowder for the majority of the season. JD had a top 20 grade on him.  He’s going to play. Meaning Crowder is part time. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1