Jets and Jameson Crowder agree to contract restructuring (merged)

Bronx

56 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

It's not cheap, It's smart.  Why pay more for an asset than the asset is worth, especially when every dollar a team spends can't be used to pay for/acquire other players. If I have $180,000 a year to spend on household goods and I am efficient and frugal and have everything but a car for $150,000, should I pay $20,000 for a car worth $10,000 just because I have the money?  And if I can take the money I don't spend and use it next year, should I pay twice as much for my car because I "have the money?"  No.  That is just wasteful and bad money management.  

And I can play the same game as you.

First, your facts are wrong on Davis. He was either the #1 or #2 option his entire career.   

Second, Davis has been healthy and he will start at one outside spot.  Mims will start on the other side if healthy and he should be healthy. Cole is the back up to both.  Crowder is and always has been a slot receiver and is not a wide out.

If Moore is the real deal, he plays and starts in the slot.  

So Crowder likely is the back up slot receiver. Why pay top WR $ to a back up slot receiver?  It makes no sense whatsoever. I don't care what he did last year for a 2-14 team.  

Crowder is a free agent. He is not in the Jets long term plans.  Paying him $10 million is a complete waste of money. 

The Jets have too many WRs and Crowder is now superfluous.  If he wants to stay with the team as a back up and as injury insurance, he should accept the pay cut.  If not, bye bye.  

Pretty much this and also 10 mill to a wr isn't as outlandish as it once was but even now in this passing league he is not worth 10 mill a year. He is just not.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Buffalo 24 7 said:

At some point, this becomes disrespectful to Crowder. They are asking Crowder to take less money than Kelan Cole. Crowder has earned his contract and the Jets have plenty of cap space.10 Mil for a good WR is very reasonable.

It's also pretty sh*tty to ask Crowder to take a paycut this late into the offseason. Crowder was on pace for 930 yards, and 8 Tds last year. If he was available at the start of free agency, he would have easily made 10 mil on a open market.

I also don't understand the logic of taking weapons away from a rookie QB. 

exactly!!!

we are paying Davis 12 mil plus a year and we want to pay our best WR the last few years 5 mil? he's gone

he doesnt take the pay cut and JD cuts him. then he signs somewhere else were he will get more PT for about the same JD wanted him to take. no way he plays here for that. its insulting.

and why does JD want Crowder to take a pay cut that he knows he wont take?

1. Crowder is not JDs guy. he didnt draft him or sign him. he have 4 other WRs who he did draft and sign. and they need to play to justify there moves.

2. Crowder will take PT from the others. which will hurt the development of Mims and Moore. 

some of you will dismiss this but you know GMs do this all the time. they want there guys. its about self preservation.

you know how it goes.....

Crowder will catch 60-70 passes that the other 4 could have. this will make for arguments sake Mims the #5 WR.

OMG...Mims has done nothing, hes a bust.... JD sucks...

Davis and Cole dont produce like we thought cause Crowder took alot of there catches...

OMG JD sucks....

Moore gets little PT

WR is not a hole for us anymore. we can cut Crowder and be fine there. and use that 10 mil for one of many cap cuts at the end of preseason.

one way or anther Crowder is gone. if not now then at the final cut.

10 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Well,what is best for the team is usually best for the fans.  Crowder getting paid more money is only good for Crowder, not necessarily for the team. It's a zero sum game with a salary cap.  I want the Jets to win.  I could care less if Crowder gets an extra $5 million over market and how he uses that money.It's not going to positively impact my life as a Jets fan and it may cost us another player.  Crowder's contract is not guaranteed, so yes he has a contract, but the Jets are not legally obligated to pay him that money until the first game of the season. So, technically, the contract is worthless and Crowder knew that when he signed it.  Essentially the Jets and Crowder are determining what his contract should be for 2021 and if they can't agree, Crowder will be cut and free to negotiate a new deal with another team.  Both are acting in their self interest.  As a fan, my interests are served if the Jets sign Crowder to a contract that matches his market value and maximizes cap space. I am not served if Crowder is paid over market and is able to use that money to buy a bigger house.  

It is possible to both want what is best for the team without turning a contract dispute into a story of who is "right" and who is "wrong." It's just two sides doing what they think is best for them. Those that get upset when a player holds out on "loyalty" or "you signed the contract" grounds should be equally upset when a team cuts a player under contract.

• Upvote 4

They think he’s getting a lot less touches and has a lot less value.   If They're right he has to take a huge pay cut to justify his roster spot.  If they’re wrong the team will suck this year. If I were Douglas I wouldn’t blink.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

They think he’s getting a lot less touches and has a lot less value.   If They're right he has to take a huge pay cut to justify his roster spot.  If they’re wrong the team will suck this year. If I were Douglas I wouldn’t blink.  

My heart just isn't another off season of "he had no weaponz" debates. I don't really care so much specifically about Crowder but I'd like to get as much salary cap as we can on the field this season to give Wilson the best chance possible to succeed. Now is the time to invest around him. "Rolling over cap space" has for too long been seen as some sort of victory. Yes, it's important but I'd like to know we got the right guy quickly or at worst fail quickly this time without another many years divided into "look at the results, he sucks" and "look beyond the stats, his situation is holding him back" camps.

• Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, jgb said:

My heart just isn't another off season of "he had no weaponz" debates. I don't really care so much specifically about Crowder but I'd like to get as much salary cap as we can on the field this season to give Wilson the best chance possible to succeed. Now is the time to invest around him. "Rolling over cap space" has for too long been seen as some sort of victory. Yes, it's important but I'd like to know we got the right guy quickly or at worst fail quickly this time.

We have been sitting on a ton of dead cap space for years.  The reality is we cleared lots of it last year.   This is the first year we really had some money to spend and that's in a low cap year.  Douglas spent a lot of money in FA this year.  He's clearly not done.  If we add an OL and a CB and have to lose Crowder to do it, I'm okay with that.   I can't see Crowder on this team in another year unless he's willing to take a lot less money.  I expect the Jets to be competitive this year but the playoffs may be another year or two away if Douglas gets it right. 

I would rather protect Zach than give him a "weapon" who's a good WR in a league full of better WR.   Crowder is learning a new system and will be playing with a new QB just like all the WR we brought in.   He's a nice player.  He should not get 10 million per.  In  the NFL Crowder was 50th in catches, 55th in yards and 71st in yards per reception.   If he doesn't get substantially less touches this year than it's likely that most of our WR group is on the shelf with injuries. 

Crowder isn't a weapon, he's a possession WR.  10 Million per based on his actual production last year and projected production this year is simply to high.  

You can look at him and say best WR on the Jets last year and you would be right.  The Jets WR corp was dessimated with injuries and sucked last year, with Crowder.  

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Larz said:

So you are conceding that it’s not 27 million it’s really more like 1 million?

Please show anywhere that says the Jets have 1 million.

Please name the players that will cost the Jets their remaining cap space. 

Please answer any question asked of you without trying to redirect. 

37 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

He's an expendable player, they have guys that can do his job. I'd like to keep him in the event of injuries but the Jets have the leverage here.

You're acting like injuries don't happen and/or we know what Mims and Moore are.....

Crowder should be an absolute must this year.  You just don't mess around with your QB this year.  This should be more about ZW than it is anything else.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, jgb said:

Darnold was the worst QB in the NFL

Because Darnold was the worst and Gase's offense sucked doesn't change that he is the 16th highest paid WR in the league this year and his production last year and the previous year is not the 16th best WR is the league. 

Do you think he is the 16th best WR in the league? Because his cap hit of 11.3M makes him that. He's a nice player, but this offense is not going to flow through Jamison this year. 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Biggs said:

We have been sitting on a ton of dead cap space for years.  The reality is we cleared lots of it last year.   This is the first year we really had some money to spend and that's in a low cap year.  Douglas spent a lot of money in FA this year.  He's clearly not done.  If we add an OL and a CB and have to lose Crowder to do it, I'm okay with that.   I can't see Crowder on this team in another year unless he's willing to take a lot less money.  I expect the Jets to be competitive this year but the playoffs may be another year or two away if Douglas gets it right. 

I would rather protect Zach than give him a "weapon" who's a good WR in a league full of better WR.   Crowder is learning a new system and will be playing with a new QB just like all the WR we brought in.   He's a nice player.  He should not get 10 million per.  In  the NFL Crowder was 50th in catches, 55th in yards and 71st in yards per reception.   If he doesn't get substantially less touches this year than it's likely that most of our WR group is on the shelf with injuries. 

Crowder isn't a weapon, he's a possession WR.  10 Million per based on his actual production last year and projected production this year is simply to high.  

You can look at him and say best WR on the Jets last year and you would be right.  The Jets WR corp was dessimated with injuries and sucked last year, with Crowder.  

Agree adding -- for example Moses -- is a bigger net gain for Wilson. I don't see it as an either/or situation. Now if we bring in a CB and an OL, could be different story. I don't know what's available. I'm just saying I don't want to lose Crowder for more cap rollover alone. I like one of the suggestions here to extend Crowder by a year at less per year and guarantee his 2021 salary. He's just 27 and that could be a win/win for both side.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Because Darnold was the worst and Gase's offense sucked doesn't change that he is the 16th highest paid WR in the league this year and his production last year and the previous year is not the 16th best WR is the league. 

Do you think he is the 16th best WR in the league? Because his cap hit of 11.3M makes him that. He's a nice player, but this offense is not going to flow through Jamison this year. 

If weaponz can be blamed for a QB's struggles, the opposite must also be at least equally valid.

I'm just saying looking at his raw stats -- given how terrible the team was -- isn't the end-all/be-all of valuation. Teams look at much more than this -- opportunity share and percentage of a team's offense a player accounts for, as one example -- to try to account for situation when evaling players. While I haven't looked at Crowder's numbers, I'm sure he ranks a lot higher among his peers in these important metrics than his raw numbers indicate. 

I'm also not making a definitive statement that he is worth 10 million, 11.3 million, whatever. He's a solid player and I'd like to find a way to keep him around at least until we see which young players emerge.

2 hours ago, Biggs said:

With davis, Cole, moore and mims, in addition to the rbs and whatever the TEs get, crowder’s targets will plummet.  

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

With davis, Cole, moore and mims, in addition to the rbs and whatever the TEs get, crowder’s targets will plummet.  

Regardless of the other players you mentioned the scheme itself will make his Targets plummet. Crowder will never get more Targets than he did in Gases offense bc of the scheme. People don't realize that Crowder is a very scheme driven player. A team that has a hole at the slot position in a very slot dependent scheme will value him more. Vertical offenses and schemes that value position flexibility at WR will value him less. It's really that simple. 

It's the same reason why I think the Jets will make a trade for a veteran pass receiving TE before training camp. The Shanahan offense has always relied on having a very good TE and I can't see the Jets ignoring the position going into the season. 

• Upvote 1

The Jets added three WRs in the offseason, two of whom can play the slot. One of them is Elijah Moore, who they will be looking to get the ball to a lot this year. They also have Berrios as a capable slot receiver. That’s a lot of slot players for a coaching staff that would much rather run 12 & 21 personnel most of the time. Then you throw in the fact that Crowder’s contract is over market for a starting slot when -should Moore stay healthy- he’ll be on the field a lot less, it’s obvious why the Jets want some money back from him.  

I understand Crowder being pissy about it, but the reality of his situation is that he’s overpaid right now and the Jets have revamped the WR corps since he was first signed by a different GM. He’s not getting eight figures from anyone else in the league. JuJu settled for 1 year/$8M this offseason. Does anyone think Crowder would’ve gotten more than S-S if he’d been on the market at the same time? 

This is the ugly business side of things. I’m sure Crowder’s agent is feeling out everyone he can to see what he can get for his client in June in a cap-strapped year, and probably not getting very good news. The smart move would be to stick his tail between his legs and accept the deal, play the best he can, and try to score a deal next winter when he’ll certainly be a free agent. 

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Regardless of the other players you mentioned the scheme itself will make his Targets plummet. Crowder will never get more Targets than he did in Gases offense bc of the scheme. People don't realize that Crowder is a very scheme driven player. A team that has a hole at the slot position in a very slot dependent scheme will value him more. Vertical offenses and schemes that value position flexibility at WR will value him less. It's really that simple. 

It's the same reason why I think the Jets will make a trade for a veteran pass receiving TE before training camp. The Shanahan offense has always relied on having a very good TE and I can't see the Jets ignoring the position going into the season. 

Fun fact I dug up.

In 2020, the median number of targets to TEs by team was 114.  LV led the league with 172 targets, followed by PHI at 169.

The Jets had 62 which made them 3rd lowest in the league (but they were also that low across all pass attempts).

The lowest number in the league?  NE at 33.  That surprised me.  NE also had the second fewest pass attempts in the league beaten out by BAL for the fewest.

So a few thoughts.

1) Don't tell me how much the Ravens love Lamar Jackson as a passer when they threw an average of 24.5 times per game compared to a league median of around 33.5.

2) NE really, really missed having good TEs, which explains why they went all in on two of the top FAs this year

3) The Jets had about 80 less total pass attempts than the league median for a lot of reasons.  If we have managed to address them enough to get back to league average, that means another 5 pass attempts per game to go around, which will benefit everyone statistically on the offense.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, slats said:

He’s not getting eight figures from anyone else in the league. JuJu settled for 1 year/$8M this offseason. Does anyone think Crowder would’ve gotten more than S-S if he’d been on the market at the same time? 

This is the unfortunate reality for Crowder.  I think most of us here can see this situation from both sides.  The Jets are overpaying Crowder at $10M and they've added several players who make Crowder a little less valuable (necessary) to the team.  JD is doing what JD is paid to do, manage the roster and the Cap.

From Crowder's perspective this is a tough swallow.  50% is a big ask, it's not like the Jets are trying to take him down to JuJu's $8M number.  Crowder has been a good, loyal soldier for this team.  He's young (27), talented, and has been a reliable producer on a sh*t roster for a team mired in turmoil for the past two years.  I feel for the guy, but mostly because of the timing here.  Had the Jets asked for this paycut prior to FA and he walked then Crowder likely gets a deal as good as JuJu, or even better/longer because of his consistent track record.  Pointing a gun to Crowder's head and saying, "Take a 50% pay cut or we'll release you into a market that no longer has any money" just kinda sucks.

I hope they work this out.  For the Jets who are rebuilding around a young QB a guy like Crowder is exactly what you want.  One or two injuries to WRs (like last year) would put Zach Wilson in a tough spot.  We've seen this movie before with our previous QB.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, jgb said:

My heart just isn't another off season of "he had no weaponz" debates. I don't really care so much specifically about Crowder but I'd like to get as much salary cap as we can on the field this season to give Wilson the best chance possible to succeed. Now is the time to invest around him. "Rolling over cap space" has for too long been seen as some sort of victory. Yes, it's important but I'd like to know we got the right guy quickly or at worst fail quickly this time without another many years divided into "look at the results, he sucks" and "look beyond the stats, his situation is holding him back" camps.

Vegas has the Jets at 6 wins this year. Only the Texans and Lions are lower at five. A year in which getting close to .500 would be an achievement is not the year to go all in on cap space, IMO. Plus, the Jets still haven’t signed the 2nd, 14th, and 34th picks of the draft, which will significantly eat into their current room. 

The other big factor is that the Jets are probably gonna be the youngest team in the league this year, and will be looking to evaluate these young guys and get them developing chemistry for the long term. Going forward, how much does the last year of Crowder really help Wilson’s development? With Cole, Berrios, and Moore all capable of filling Crowder’s job, I’d say not much. 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

This is the unfortunate reality for Crowder.  I think most of us here can see this situation from both sides.  The Jets are overpaying Crowder at $10M and they've added several players who make Crowder a little less valuable (necessary) to the team.  JD is doing what JD is paid to do, manage the roster and the Cap.

From Crowder's perspective this is a tough swallow.  50% is a big ask, it's not like the Jets are trying to take him down to JuJu's $8M number.  Crowder has been a good, loyal soldier for this team.  He's young (27), talented, and has been a reliable producer on a sh*t roster for a team mired in turmoil for the past two years.  I feel for the guy, but mostly because of the timing here.  Had the Jets asked for this paycut prior to FA then Crowder likely gets a deal as good a JuJu, or even better/longer because of his consistent track record.  Pointing a guy to Crowder's head and saying, "Take a 50% pay cut or we'll release you into a market that no longer has any money" just kinda sucks.

I hope they work this out.  For the Jets who are rebuilding around a young QB a guy like Crowder is exactly what you want.  One or two injuries (like last year) would put Zach Wilson in a tough spot.  We've seen this movie before with our previous QB.

All true, and Crowder has been a solid, productive player for us.  But a few mitigating thoughts:

Crowder signed a 3-year, $28.5MM contract in 2019.  Over the first two years, he has been paid about $18M of that money.  Most NFL players know the last year of a multi-year deal is far from guaranteed.  So even if the Jets and Crowder part ways, he has been paid very fairly for his contributions here.  There should be no hard feelings either way.  Certainly nobody should be feeling like Crowder is getting shafted.  This is normal across the league, and this is why players get signing bonuses up front. 

No player should 'expect' to get paid out on the last year of his contract unless it conforms to the current league average pay scale.  At this time, perhaps due in part to COVID impact, Crowders deal is above league average for his performance.  This isn't a knock on his ability or production, but just a recognition of reality.  In reality, he will probably counter with something like $8M and maybe they will settle around $7M.  Everybody can walk away with some win.  But if they do release him, it's not about being cheap or being disloyal, it's about maximizing resources and while we could debate the finer points, it's still really just about football.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, nycdan said:

No player should 'expect' to get paid out on the last year of his contract unless it conforms to the current league average pay scale.  At this time, perhaps due in part to COVID impact, Crowders deal is above league average for his performance. 

I think the WR market in general is set for a downturn similar to, but not as pronounced as, the RB market in recent years. Colleges are producing more and better WRs than ever with all the spread offenses at that level, and teams see that they can bring in similar players on rookie deals rather than paying veterans big multi-year contracts. The premium guys will get their pay, but the next tier -I suspect- will find the market not to their liking. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, slats said:

Vegas has the Jets at 6 wins this year. Only the Texans and Lions are lower at five. A year in which getting close to .500 would be an achievement is not the year to go all in on cap space, IMO. Plus, the Jets still haven’t signed the 2nd, 14th, and 34th picks of the draft, which will significantly eat into their current room. 

The other big factor is that the Jets are probably gonna be the youngest team in the league this year, and will be looking to evaluate these young guys and get them developing chemistry for the long term. Going forward, how much does the last year of Crowder really help Wilson’s development? With Cole, Berrios, and Moore all capable of filling Crowder’s job, I’d say not much. 

Ideally, we'd allocate that $10M toward the line/CB. I don't know how much a year of Crowder will do to develop Wilson. But I know an extra $10M in Woody's pocket will have zero impact. Also if Wilson does not look great, I'd bet you a month's salary that "JD got rid of his most reliable pass catcher" will be a narrative around here and I'm just sick of debating whether or not we have our QB. For one, I think if you're making excuses for your FQB you don't have one. But also true that if Wilson doesn't win with Crowder, they'll be dozens of other excuses anyway.

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

Please show anywhere that says the Jets have 1 million.

Please name the players that will cost the Jets their remaining cap space. 

Please answer any question asked of you without trying to redirect. 

I don’t need to name the players when my only point is that your math is way off. Do you follow the NFL ?  Teams need cap space for in season street free agents to back fill for injuries. That can be as much as 10 million. So  you need to acknowledge that. The jets rookie pool is 16 million (estimated).   That’s 26 million.  
you need to acknowledge your argument is based on a wrong assumption. 

The 1 million is wrong tho. AVT , carter, Moore  and others will take veterans jobs so depending on who is cut that number will go up. 

The jets are simply not swimming in an ocean of cap space.  They just aren’t 

21 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The biggest reason Crowder should give in is he’ll get more money in 2021 than he would anywhere else, even after taking the pay cut. 

If Douglas converts it all into guaranteed money it’s a no brainer for him and his agent. 

Crowder has been around and he knows he is putting that payday on the back of a rookie QB to get him paid. He probably isn't  all that comfortable with that?

I sure hope we don't end up hearing any whining this year about a lack of WR weapons or weapon-based excuse-making for why Wilson doesn't produce if we cut Crowder and the remaining 4 projected starter-types (Davis, Cole, Mims, Moore) aren't as good as some of you seem to think.  Most of the pro-cut-Crowder folks also thought we were in good shape at WR last year too.....till the injuries started.

I guess cutting Crowder will at least make the usual suspect Berrios/Cager/UDFA WR obsessives happy, they'll have Cole AND likely Berrios to hype up as the greatest.  Lord knows, it's not the Jets without some rostered JAG-UDFA WR to hype up as the next great Chrebet-wannabe. :rolleyes:  With Anderson long gone, these guys will at least fill that obsession for some folks.

It does shock me that the same people who whine about the Johnsons being cheap are so strongly in support of a move that only has a ramification on the Johnsons wallet, not the cap itself.  We have plenty of cap space for all the FA's we may want (Mullens, Sherman, Moses).

Maybe I was wrong about Revis, clearly being the best WR and a good soldier on a horrible and horribly run team isn't paying any dividends for Crowder.

C'est la vie.  I hope it works out.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

You're acting like injuries don't happen and/or we know what Mims and Moore are.....

Crowder should be an absolute must this year.  You just don't mess around with your QB this year.  This should be more about ZW than it is anything else.

Injuries happen but unless they all get hurt they have enough depth to overcome Crowder not being around.  I prefer to keep him but I understand the thinking and I'm not expecting him back.

8 minutes ago, jgb said:

Ideally, we'd allocate that $10M toward the line/CB. I don't know how much a year of Crowder will do to develop Wilson. But I know an extra $10M in Woody's pocket will have zero impact.

I don’t think you’re gonna see any CB help this year. It looks like they want to develop these young guys who fit their mold. Best way to do that is to get them on the field. The OL is another story, especially if they’re concerned about Becton’s health. 

Not worried about rolling money forward from a season where .500 would be a big deal. Get the young guys on the field this year with the rookie staff and let’s see what we’ve got when the bullets are flying. Next year, the coaches can determine where they’d like to spend that money from a much better perspective than right now when they really don’t know what they have. If everything goes well and the Jets manage 7 or 8 wins this season, that would be big and next year playoffs would be the mindset. That would be a good time to have that extra $10M. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, slats said:

I don’t think you’re gonna see any CB help this year. It looks like they want to develop these young guys who fit their mold. Best way to do that is to get them on the field. The OL is another story, especially if they’re concerned about Becton’s health. 

Not worried about rolling money forward from a season where .500 would be a big deal. Get the young guys on the field this year with the rookie staff and let’s see what we’ve got when the bullets are flying. Next year, the coaches can determine where they’d like to spend that money from a much better perspective than right now when they really don’t know what they have. If everything goes well and the Jets manage 7 or 8 wins this season, that would be big and next year playoffs would be the mindset. That would be a good time to have that extra $10M. 

I need to see what the status of Jets rollover/minimum spend requirements are. Haven't checked this off season to be honest.

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I guess cutting Crowder will at least make the usual suspect Berrios/Cager/UDFA WR obsessives happy, they'll have Cole AND likely Berrios to hype up as the greatest.

Crowder last year had a 66.3% catch rate for 11.8 ypc. Berrios was at 67.3% for 10.6 ypc. Not on an insignificant number of targets, either, at 89 for Crowder to 55 for Berrios. I wouldn’t lump him in with the UDFA hopefuls. He’s capable of handling the slot job all by himself, and that’s before you throw Moore and Cole into the mix. 

I like Crowder and feel for the guy, but the fact is that he’s overpaid and the team has options already in house. He’s just in a crappy situation. I think the two sides come to terms once the emotion is removed. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jgb said:

If weaponz can be blamed for a QB's struggles, the opposite must also be at least equally valid.

I'm just saying looking at his raw stats -- given how terrible the team was -- isn't the end-all/be-all of valuation. Teams look at much more than this -- opportunity share and percentage of a team's offense a player accounts for, as one example -- to try to account for situation when evaling players. While I haven't looked at Crowder's numbers, I'm sure he ranks a lot higher among his peers in these important metrics than his raw numbers indicate. 

I'm also not making a definitive statement that he is worth 10 million, 11.3 million, whatever. He's a solid player and I'd like to find a way to keep him around at least until we see which young players emerge.

He had a career high in receptions in '19 with 78 with Darnold. I understand your point but in this offense he will not be the main focus on this team. Eventually it will be Moore, but right now Davis will be the focal point of this offense at least the 1st half of the season. Crowder should be here, and I hope he can squeeze as much money as he can out of the Jets. But playing hardball could eventually cost him millions if JD cuts him just in the final cuts and teams wait to sign him after the 1st game to ensure his contract is not guaranteed.

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

That time, as you say, when it would be "good time to have that extra $10M" never seems to come, does it.

The rookie HC, OC, and QB year probably isn’t it, regardless. This is an evaluation year on the youngest team in the NFL, a team determined to build thru the draft. Getting the youngsters on the field, getting their baptisms by fire, is going to be a priority.