Jets and Jameson Crowder agree to contract restructuring (merged)

Bronx

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

And they’ll use another 1st or 2nd round pick next year to draft another wr to replace him.  Very good.

It is crazy to think we got another 2 1sts and 2 2nd round picks next year plus all the cap space. Douglas really can do whatever the heck he wants 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Ghost said:

JD is unbelievable. If he walks at the end of the year, we might get a compensatory pick since we have Moore and Berrios waiting. 

I think we may be one more season away from getting any comp picks.  We're still in need of some star power and we have a lot of cap, which suggests we should be looking to bring in some top FAs next offseason.  And depending on how the Maye contract plays out, he and Crowder are really the only big names we might conceivably lose so it could be a wash at best. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Ghost said:

JD is unbelievable. If he walks at the end of the year, we might get a compensatory pick since we have Moore and Berrios waiting. 

He’s 100% walking, and I definitely believe Joe Douglas wants to start getting the Jets on the comp pick wagon as soon as 2023. I could see one or two big splashes next offseason with the plan to be to lose more free agents than he signs. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

If you're "not saying Berrios will be that", then why are you comparing him to the likes of Chrebet, Welker and Edelman?  

Oh, right, because Jets Fans are obsessed with UDFA fringe-talent WR's. 

Especially if they fit a "certain mold", i.e. Chrebet, Woodhead, Welker, Edelman.....hmm, wonder what these guys all have in common, beyond a lack of height.

I think you are obsessed with saying people are obsessed with players whenever they point out it is too soon to determine players "suck."  Berrios wasn't an UDFA.  He was a 6th round pick of the Pats that has never been on the street.  He is a niche player that has already shown value.  Guess maybe I am racist. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

I agree with you and far too many believe that business is somehow different than human decency and its not!

So the "decent" thing to do is to pay Crowder twice his market value?  Yes, lets be the nice franchise that overpays everyone.  That was what Mike Maccagnan did.  Let's hire him back.  Better yet, let's opt to apply for Non-Profit status!

One way or the other, the market is going to determine Crowder's worth.  He'll either end up taking the pay-cut, or the Jets will release him, and he'll find out exactly how much the league values him.  

Don't blame the Jets or Joe Douglas for being practical.  Blame the system that causes these moves to happen in the first place.  Without guaranteed contracts, this is the reality of the NFL.  And if you want the Jets to be successful, you need a GM who is kind of a d*ck sometimes.  That's how the business functions.  

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

So your usual schtick. Make a vague comment and then just ask questions instead of saying anything. Gotcha. We're all aware by now that you're incapable of providing any details. 

You really just can’t admit that you forgot about the rookie pool?

guess what ?  It’s going to be even more next year considering the first 4 picks 

BTW   I provided specific numbers and a link to a relevant website. 

the only reason you are insisting on players names is so that YOU can change the subject to the player and not the cap. 

oh if you didn’t notice JD the cheap jerk just dunked on you

Ray Liotta Lol GIF

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

You're acting like injuries don't happen and/or we know what Mims and Moore are.....

Crowder should be an absolute must this year.  You just don't mess around with your QB this year.  This should be more about ZW than it is anything else.

We don't know what Mims or Moore are, but we invested 2nd round picks into both.  They're going to get a lot of snaps this year, at Crowder's expense.  Throw Cole into the mix as well and its hard to imagine Crowder putting up big numbers this year.  Meanwhile, the new system we're running de-values slot guys who are incapable of playing on the outside.

Hence why Douglas doesn't want to devote $11.4M in cap dollars on what amounts to an insurance policy if he can avoid it.  Especially since Crowder is basically guaranteed to not be a Jet beyond 2021. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Larz said:

Ray Liotta Lol GIF

Keep trying...and not answering anything.

All your talk, you're the one who mentioned to sign a corner or OT, but you can't name any of them. Name one, just one. That's all you need to do and you can't even google a random available player and toss them in because you prefer to continue your schtick. 

You even toss in the a gif like that somehow changes that you won't answer a single question. 

4 hours ago, jgb said:

I'm also not making a definitive statement that he is worth 10 million, 11.3 million, whatever. He's a solid player and I'd like to find a way to keep him around at least until we see which young players emerge.

I'd like to keep him too.  At half the cost.  

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, jgb said:

Ideally, we'd allocate that $10M toward the line/CB. I don't know how much a year of Crowder will do to develop Wilson. But I know an extra $10M in Woody's pocket will have zero impact. Also if Wilson does not look great, I'd bet you a month's salary that "JD got rid of his most reliable pass catcher" will be a narrative around here and I'm just sick of debating whether or not we have our QB. For one, I think if you're making excuses for your FQB you don't have one. But also true that if Wilson doesn't win with Crowder, they'll be dozens of other excuses anyway.

Can we move past this, please?  Douglas is in charge, not Woody Johnson, and we just handed out $80M guaranteed in free agency this offseason.  We may well be handing out even more to Morgan Moses or another quality player who shakes loose.

This is, for once, a business decision not being influenced by Woody Johnson.  Of that I am confident.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

That time, as you say, when it would be "good time to have that extra $10M" never seems to come, does it.

Under Mike Maccagnan, who had no plan and who spent like a drunken sailor anyways, no.  Under Joe Douglas, it absolutely will.  It might even be needed THIS offseason.  

What you call being cheap I call being smart.  If there's one thing Douglas has unquestionably done well, its been managing Maccagnan's terrible contracts wisely and patiently.  Let things play out.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Can we move past this, please?  Douglas is in charge, not Woody Johnson, and we just handed out $80M guaranteed in free agency this offseason.  We may well be handing out even more to Morgan Moses or another quality player who shakes loose.

This is, for once, a business decision not being influenced by Woody Johnson.  Of that I am confident.

But I don’t wanna!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

But I don’t wanna!

We're all scarred by the sins of the Johnson's.  They're awful and incompetent owners.  But I really think they have no interest in being involved in any of this now that someone remotely competent is in charge.  

• Upvote 1