Hamstring forces Jacksonville Jaguars QB Trevor Lawrence out of team drills on first day of minicamp

Hamstring forces Jacksonville Jaguars QB Trevor Lawrence out of team drills on first day of minicamp (espn.com)

Hamstring forces Jacksonville Jaguars QB Trevor Lawrence out of team drills on first day of minicamp

pl

1:26 PM ET
  • dirocco_michael.png&h=80&w=80&scale=crop
    Michael DiRoccoESPN Staff Writer

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- The Jacksonville Jaguars are being extra careful when it comes to Trevor Lawrence's hamstring.

The tightness that limited Lawrence last week in OTAs reemerged during the first day of mandatory minicamp on Monday, forcing the Jaguars to keep him out of team drills. Coach Urban Meyer said that's likely to happen on Tuesday as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

"Our trainers and Schotty [passing game coordinator Brian Schottenheimer] are being a little cautious because right now when you're a month out, you yank a hamstring now you're going to miss the early part of the training camp," Meyer said. "That's that one muscle that, you guys have all seen it like I have, you pull a hamstring at this point you're going to miss all your summer conditioning so we're being somewhat conservative on it. "But he actually could play a game if he had to."

Lawrence did some work off to the side while the rest of the team did their stretches and warm-ups, but he did participate in individual drills and 7-on-7 sessions. He did not participate in 11-on-11 drills.

Lawrence said he would rather be practicing fully, but understands the Jaguars' approach.

"It's been about a week and trying to work it back to full capacity and yeah, it's a little frustrating just not being able to go full speed, but I'm feeling good," Lawrence said. "I'm just trying to not have any more setbacks, so taking it slow. Got some good reps today. So start getting more and more each day this week and kind of work back into it."

The Jaguars have one more day of mandatory minicamp and then break until training camp starts in late July.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Joejet said:

Just imagine the uproar here if he would have been our pick.nuclear explosion GIF

Way too early to make any determinations.   Chargers fans thought their brass made the right move after Ryan Leaf played his first professional game.  And closer to home, Jets fans and pundits thought they had a bonus baby on their hands after Browning Nagel's first outing.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Way too early to make any determinations.   Chargers fans thought their brass made the right move after Ryan Leaf played his first professional game.  And closer to home, Jets fans and pundits thought they had a bonus baby on their hands after Browning Nagel's first outing.

You misread my point, it was a reflection of a number of posters reactions to any injury to a draft choice such as Mims, Benton, Q Williams his rookie year, etc. I am confident that Lawrence will be a good to excellent QB.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Ghost420 said:

He isnt a win a superbowl at all cost kinda guy. Maybe the biggest quote I came across this entire off-season about him.

Yep, I could not believe he would be described in that way by his father and HS coach. Most players would take a nosedive after that but the Jags committed to him week 16 of the regular season and couldn't dare back out at that point. 

55 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

no worries... it's pretty quick... 

5 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Had enough of Schotty's scheme already.

Schotty probably has the QBs colliding into each other during throwing drills. Used the make me go hulk smash mode when Schotty would design a play with 3 WRs breaking to the same 5 yard wide circle of the field. 

• Upvote 2

Why does anyone care about Lawrence?

There's more talk of his struggles here than on a Jags forum. He's a rookie on a terrible team and these are OTA's. 

It's not like we passed on him for Wilson. I'm sure they'll be forever compared going #1 and #2 but as for now I'm pretty sure there's no regrets on either side. 

• Upvote 2