What is funnier in this Panthers 1st day of mini camp article?

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You shouldn't.  It's just wishful thinking on your part that really doesn't make any sense.  Why do you NEED Darnold to have been good or someone Douglas wanted to keep?  He's gone, who cares?

And finances shouldn't have played a part at all.  If Douglas thought Darnold could be "the guy", then a $20M+ fifth year option would have been cheap compared to what other franchise QB's make.  

Joe Douglas didn't believe in Sam Darnold.  Just accept it.

I don't  think we know that. JD and even Saleh may have felt Sam could be salvaged but when you compare getting a fresh blue chip prospect in the draft that displays a skill-set  that fits what you are doing on a rookie deal to a reclamation  project that you are not sure will work out and will cost 20 Million  to find out, the choice is not that difficult 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I don't  think we know that. JD and even Saleh may have felt Sam could be salvaged but when you compare getting a fresh blue chip prospect in the draft that displays a skill-set  that fits what you are doing on a rookie deal to a reclamation  project that you are not sure will work out and will cost 20 Million  to find out, the choice is not that difficult 

What we do know is he dumped Darnold. That puts the burden of proof on those who believe JD secretly thinks he can develop into a FQB.

Side question: When is the last time a QB dumped during his rookie deal became anything of note? Brett Favre? When is the last time a starting QB got dumped during his rookie deal became anything of note? I'm drawing a blank.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jgb said:

What we do know is he dumped Darnold. That puts the burden of proof on those who believe JD secretly thinks he can develop into a FQB.

Side question: When is the last time a QB dumped during his rookie deal became anything of note? Brett Favre? When is the last time a starting QB got dumped during his rookie deal became anything of note? I'm drawing a blank.

Drew Brees

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 6/25/2021 at 4:07 PM, genot said:

On 6/25/2021 at 4:04 PM, UntouchableCrew said:

Gase is a terrible coach but no level of coaching should have a QB who is any good 38th in QB rating in his third year.

I agree. Considering how bad Gase was. The oline. No running game, and not much at WR, it's understandable that the QB wasn't productive

Fran Healy What GIF by Travis

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Side question: When is the last time a QB dumped during his rookie deal became anything of note? Brett Favre?

Favre didnt have 3 years of horrible play as a starting QB before being traded.  

I dont think Favre started a single game in GB

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Favre didnt have 3 years of horrible play as a starting QB before being traded.  

I dont think Favre started a single game in GB

You mean in ATL and you are correct. The only example I can think of (in the last 30 years, at least) of a team getting rid of a QB on a rookie contract and him becoming a FQB is Favre. As you point out, he wasn't even coming back from sucking, but he was rather an unknown NFL quantity.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, jgb said:

Wasn't on rookie contract. He was franchise tagged and after that season, Chargers made him a long term offer which he rejected.

The Chargers had just drafted Rivers #2. You don't  draft a QB that high if you intend to keep the guy who is on the team. Brees was in his 5th season after they "dumped" him so I believe he just finished his deal.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

The Chargers had just drafted Rivers #2. You don't  draft a QB that high if you intend to keep the guy who is on the team. Brees was in his 5th season after they "dumped" him so I believe he just finished his deal.

Nope. He played out his 5th year on a lucrative franchise contract. And if you don't want to keep a player, you don't pay him top-5 money and then offer him another contract.

But for fun let's even grant you Brees as the lone example. Is that really a good reason to invest hope in Darnold? One success story out of how many dozens (or even 100+)? Keep in mind, Brees beat out Rivers in camp not once but twice so no Rivers was not "just drafted." That's right they franchise tagged Brees a full season after drafting Rivers. Wow Chargers were really itching to get rid of him! If Brees didn’t blow up his shoulder in the last year (after which Chargers still offered a long term — albeit incentive-based due to the injury — contract they thought so highly of him), you actually would have a real example of a player getting traded during his rookie deal and becoming a FQB: Philip Rivers.

If that's your lone example, it actually makes the case against Darnold worse not better.

On 6/16/2021 at 10:09 AM, BroadwayRay said:

This clip is pretty brutal. Darnold still throwing off his back foot and forcing throws, but why would we expect that to change?

A perfect example of Darnold detractors. That ball bounced of the receivers hands. Should have been caught. 

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Nope. He played out his 5th year on a lucrative franchise contract. And if you don't want to keep a player, you don't pay him top-5 money and then offer him another contract.

But for fun let's even grant you Brees as the lone example. Is that really a good reason to invest hope in Darnold? One success story out of how many dozens (or even 100+)? Keep in mind, Brees beat out Rivers in camp not once but twice so no Rivers was not "just drafted." That's right they franchise tagged Brees a full season after drafting Rivers. Wow Chargers were really itching to get rid of him! If Brees didn’t blow up his shoulder in the last year (after which Chargers still offered a long term contract they thought so highly of him), you actually would have a real example of a player getting traded during his rookie year and becoming a FQB: Rivers.

If that's your lone example, it actually makes the case against Darnold worse not better.

Maybe the Chargers are just crazy then. If they had every intention of keeping Drew, selecting Manning, and then trading him to the Giants for Rivers was just insane.

Your preaching to the choir. After last season I thought with what was available at QB in this draft, it would be a historically  bad decision  to re-up with Darnold

12 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Maybe the Chargers are just crazy then. If they had every intention of keeping Drew, selecting Manning, and then trading him to the Giants for Rivers was just insane.

Your preaching to the choir. After last season I thought with what was available at QB in this draft, it would be a historically  bad decision  to re-up with Darnold

My friend I don’t begrudge your opinion just wanted to point out your timeline on when Rivers was drafted and Brees left the Chargers was off. Chargers obviously saw a need at QB as Brees was a slow starter. But then Brees won the QB competition against Rivers two years in a row and became “Drew Brees.” He was insulted by the incentive contract offered because of his injury and left in FA. If he wasn’t hurt, he would’ve gotten a non-incentive contract offer from Chargers and Rivers would’ve been traded. My main point is that a starting QB on his rookie deal has never been let go by his team  and became a FQB elsewhere (in the last 30 years, maybe it happened in the 50s or something, I don’t know). Favre is the ONLY example I can think of a rookie-deal QB being moved and becoming a FQB and he never started a game for ATL. Anyone betting on Darnold to become the first is making a bad bet.

29 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Also, Chargers opposite of crazy. It was textbook logical decisions. Unsure about Brees? We have a high pick let’s try again at QB. Then in camp: “Holy crap maybe Brees IS the guy! Let’s play him over the new kid.” Brees plays well. Then they franchise him to make sure it wasn’t a fluke before committing. Then Brees plays well again before tearing a shoulder. Chargers want to keep him but need to protect them self from risk he won’t ever regain his form and so they offer an incentive deal. Brees got pissed and walked. The perennially-terrible Saints had nothing to lose so took a risk on a normal contract. Rest is history.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, genot said:

A perfect example of Darnold detractors. That ball bounced of the receivers hands. Should have been caught. 

OK now do all the INT's he's thrown into heavy traffic, behind receivers, in the red zone, etc. over the course of his career.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, jgb said:

Also, Chargers opposite of crazy. It was textbook logical decisions. Unsure about Brees? We have a high pick let’s try again at QB. Then in camp: “Holy crap maybe Brees IS the guy! Let’s play him over the new kid.” Brees plays well. Then they franchise him to make sure it wasn’t a fluke before committing. Then Brees plays well again before tearing a shoulder. Chargers want to keep him but need to protect them self from risk he won’t ever regain his form and so they offer an incentive deal. Brees got pissed and walked. The perennially-terrible Saints had nothing to lose so took a risk on a normal contract. Rest is history.

And its not like Rivers didn't have an awesome career himself.  Just not as good as Brees.  One is a lock HOFer and record breaker with 1 SB ring.  The other is a borderline HOFer with no rings.  It wasn't like they downgraded from Brees to Ryan Leaf.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And its not like Rivers didn't have an awesome career himself.  Just not as good as Brees.  One is a lock HOFer and record breaker with 1 SB ring.  The other is a borderline HOFer with no rings.  It wasn't like they downgraded from Brees to Ryan Leaf.

Yep and yet they still tried to keep Brees! The only similarity between Drew Brees and Sam Darnold is that they are both homo sapiens.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, jgb said:

They didn't have rookie deal packages yet, but the New England Patriots dumped Jim Plunkett after five years and he won 2 Super Bowls with the Raiders-after also being dumped by Bill Walsh, (his college coach), after two years with the 49ers.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, kelticwizard said:

They didn't have rookie deal packages yet, but the New England Patriots dumped Jim Plunkett after five years and he won 2 Super Bowls with the Raiders-after also being dumped by Bill Walsh, (his college coach), after two years with the 49ers.

Yep.  This is probably the most recent instance that fits the criteria.  

Not good odds for ol' Sammy.  

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

#4. After the traded down from #1 in the Eli trade.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Well, there's Rich Gannon who played for Minnesota for 6 years but only started for the last three.  He was traded for a fourth rounder to Washington, and was dumped there.  He went to the Raiders and made four straight Pro Bowls and a Super Bowl appearance.

7 minutes ago, kelticwizard said:

Well, there's Rich Gannon who played for Minnesota for 6 years but only started for the last three.  He was traded for a fourth rounder to Washington, and was dumped there.  He went to the Raiders and made four straight Pro Bowls and a Super Bowl appearance.

Don’t forget about his stop with KC before Oakland.  

Not sure I can put Gannon in that category given how long it took for him to put things together, and on his 3rd and 4th teams no less.

But if Darnold becomes a solid QB in his 30s and on his 3rd/4th team like Gannon, tip of the hat I guess?  Not sure it really would be much of a win for the remaining DarnoldBros there, because the whole point is supposed to be that the Jets ruined him, not the Jets AND Panthers.  But I suppose they’d take it. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, kelticwizard said:

The smattering of rehabilitation project examples not good odds for poor Sammy! 

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Not good at all.

5 hours ago, chirorob said:

Drew Brees wasn't dumped before his rookie deal expired.  He was franchise tagged, and the hurt his shoulder and was let go.

He wasn’t let go. He rejected an incentive contract to stay. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, kelticwizard said:

Steve Young left a terrible Bucs team after two terrible years and then wound up doing okay with the 49ers. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Don’t forget about his stop with KC before Oakland.  

Not sure I can put Gannon in that category given how long it took for him to put things together, and on his 3rd and 4th teams no less.

But if Darnold becomes a solid QB in his 30s and on his 3rd/4th team like Gannon, tip of the hat I guess?  Not sure it really would be much of a win for the remaining DarnoldBros there, because the whole point is supposed to be that the Jets ruined him, not the Jets AND Panthers.  But I suppose they’d take it. 

If Sam Darnold sits on the bench for 15 years and has a good game when he is 38 years old, oh you'll hear from them.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

OK now do all the INT's he's thrown into heavy traffic, behind receivers, in the red zone, etc. over the course of his career.

Jets WRs need a wider catch radius.

Alfred Molina Returning as Doctor Octopus for Marvel's Spider-Man 3

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3