**Jets Minicamp 6/16**

44 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

I like the role the Johnsons are playing now. Woody is a super cheerleader and is hyping up the team on social media. This is a good role for him. Chris Johnson is a player ambassador of sorts. He seems to truly care about the players on and off the field. That's a good role for him. like you said, as long as they don't get involved in the team development and player acquisition side, all should be well.

Completely agree.  Cheer JD and Saleh on and sign the checks. That's what ownership's role should be.  And now that we have a few guys who actually possess some football acumen, the Johnsons won't feel the need to stick their fingers in the dough. 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Along with getting Moses, I hope JD goes out and gets a TE. Ertz is likely going to get cut or traded for a late round pick. He had a down year because of injuries but likely has a year or two left of good production. Not a long-term answer but for a 6th round pick, I'd do it. We have 11 picks next year including 3 in the 6th. Using one for Ertz seems like a descent idea.

tenor.gif

10 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

So curious, but havent heard much on our intriguing undrafted rookie Kenny Yeboah. His highlight reel is impressive. Just havent heard his name much.  Anyone? 

I've been scouring and haven't seen much either. he's a potential STEAL and Im really looking for him to start leaking into the reports. 

6 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

He has 85 catches for 851 yards in 6 seasons.

The Jets currently don't have the starting TE on the team. I think for sure they're going to address it prior to training camp. I can't see them ignoring it and letting a career backup TE start after they made so many investments to bring in playmakers to surround Wilson with. Along with backup QB its the biggest glaring hole in the offensive roster. I think they're using the OTA's and mini camp to evaluate the offense and they'll go out and be aggressive bringing in veterans to patch those holes. At least that's what I hope they do. 

They need to do everything to make it easy on Wilson these first couple of years. Leaving a hole at TE would be crazy. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Hes had a 40 catch 400 yards 7 td season under his belt so he can do it.

No one is saying he is great but hes the best all around tight end on this roster and serviceable for a year until we can draft one next year.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

No one is saying he is great but hes the best all around tight end on this roster and serviceable for a year until we can draft one next year.

That was 4 years ago. He's had 20 receptions Total since then.

The Bills have just as big of a hole at TE that the Jets do and they didn't even bring him back. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

4 years ago he had 1 outlier season. 

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

yup.  I expect Kroft will get plenty of reps, primarily as a blocking tight end, but I don't see him playing a major role as a receiver.  If we are going to feature a TE in the passing game, I would expect it to be Herndon.  Given our depth at WR (when have we ever been able to say that in recent years) and weakness at the TE position, I don't see a ton of targets going to any TE.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

If you're talking about Kroft 42 of them came in 1 season.  It's all scheme with a guy like him.  He has proven he can catch. he has also proven he's a very strong blocker. 

When you have a team with Davis, Moore, Mims, Cole , Crowder as WR's and Michael Carter (probably) at the skills you just need an extra blocker and an emergency outlet. Kroft would excel in that capacity.  

That said Im on Team Yeboah. :) 

4 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Perine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I still have Perine leading this team in rushing yards and rushing tds this year.  He is going to make some noise in training camp and earn alot of carries this year.

Let everyone sleep on him.  He's making the team and will have a solid role. I don't see him leading the charge, but he is much better than given credit for. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

yup.  I expect Kroft will get plenty of reps, primarily as a blocking tight end, but I don't see him playing a major role as a receiver.  If we are going to feature a TE in the passing game, I would expect it to be Herndon.  Given our depth at WR (when have we ever been able to say that in recent years) and weakness at the TE position, I don't see a ton of targets going to any TE.

I think this is why they wanted to retain Crowder. The McVay version of the Shanahan System is very reliant on slot receivers and inside releases. I think LeFleur will implement something similar and emphasize Crowder with rotation in the slot.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

22 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Along with getting Moses, I hope JD goes out and gets a TE. Ertz is likely going to get cut or traded for a late round pick. He had a down year because of injuries but likely has a year or two left of good production. Not a long-term answer but for a 6th round pick, I'd do it. We have 11 picks next year including 3 in the 6th. Using one for Ertz seems like a descent idea.

Hayden Hurst should also be available. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, choon328 said:

The Jets currently don't have the starting TE on the team. I think for sure they're going to address it prior to training camp. I can't see them ignoring it and letting a career backup TE start after they made so many investments to bring in playmakers to surround Wilson with. Along with backup QB its the biggest glaring hole in the offensive roster. I think they're using the OTA's and mini camp to evaluate the offense and they'll go out and be aggressive bringing in veterans to patch those holes. At least that's what I hope they do. 

They need to do everything to make it easy on Wilson these first couple of years. Leaving a hole at TE would be crazy. 

They may in fact bring in another TE, but TE is not the void being discussed.  They are clearly focusing on adding protection and blocking for the running game. 

All te TE needs to be after that is an emergency outlet for the QB. Kroft, Yeboah, Wesco and Griffin would all be more than ok there.  

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I've been scouring and haven't seen much either. he's a potential STEAL and Im really looking for him to start leaking into the reports. 

He needs better days than this to stick....

https://theathletic.com/2653338/2021/06/15/jets-minicamp-report-the-energy-is-back-and-so-are-jamison-crowder-marcus-maye-and-others/?source=dailyemail

Quick hits and tidbits

• Rookie tight end Kenny Yeboah had an impressive catch deep down the seam from Wilson. His practice went downhill from there. He dropped three very catchable passes. The tight end position is up for grabs. Can’t be doing that if you want to make a run at it.

• Upvote 2