Should the Jets sign an experienced QB to mentor their young QB's ?

Should the Jets sign an experienced QB to mentor their young QB's ?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Jets sign an experienced QB to mentor their young QB's ?

• YES
    • NO
    • Never gonna happen ; Saleh is too power hungry

What time is it over there? just curious. It’s 3:07 AM here so this thread looks a bit crazy lol but to answer this question...nah.

• don’t give the media a reason to say “when will you bench Wilson” should he look uninspiring 2-3 games in a row.

• don't take practice reps from any of these younger guys.

• back up QB money = no Moses. (Yes they can afford both. Doubt they would sign both) JD seems to be purposely rolling over 20M+ each offseason. He’s done it in each of his first two offseasons. 

• before Mullins signed in Philly, he was the only QB with EXP in a SF offense. Now there is none. Any QB signed now would be learning a new system just as Wilson will be.

• Upvote 3

Unless the QB has experience in the Shanahan-LaFleur offense...I don't think they're that concerned about "mentor" veteran QB's at this stage of the process.  They may pick one up for TC-preseason.  But there's no guarantee the guy makes the team going forward into the season.  I would hope so though.

Saleh seems intent on getting max reps for the rookies and 2nd year players.  Willing to take a hit in the W-L column to get his young ones max experience. 

JD-Saleh-Lafleur-Etc....seem confident that no matter how much Wilson may struggle this year.  He'll be ready to take the team to the playoffs after Jets go through the 2022 FA-trade-draft process. 

Can the Jets in 2022 draft in top 5-8...and around #23...then take that leap forward into the playoffs?  IMO...JD-Saleh think so.  And are willing to suffer whatever adversity this season may present. 

JMO. 

6 hours ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

What do you think ?

I think we’ve gone over this already. 

Also think that third option is weird/dumb. Not sure what you’re going for there. 

For ****s and giggles, though, I think if they felt he needed a mentor, they would’ve gotten one already. If they think Morgan or White can handle the backup responsibilities, they should just roll with what they have. If they don’t think that, they should bring someone in to play backup QB with a mentoring option. 

Remember when Parcells brought Vinny in towards the end of training camp in 98 to backup foley?  Same thing will happen here.  

You need to let the 3 young guys take all the snaps.  With about a week left in camp, bring in matt barkley for cheap.

Anyone thinking Joe D is going to trade for a has been like Foles and waste a draft pick and pay him that salary, you are crazy.

They have committed to their strategy now.  As I said in another thread, this is fine as long as they actually go with white or morgan if wilson gets hurt.  If we ignore it and then parachute some jag vet in and start him the next week it will be a major org fail.

My real preference would have been to go out and get a viable vet starter and let him start the season and bring Wilson along slowly.  I just think most often that works best in the long run.

5 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Remember when Parcells brought Vinny in towards the end of training camp in 98 to backup foley?  Same thing will happen here.  

You need to let the 3 young guys take all the snaps.  With about a week left in camp, bring in matt barkley for cheap.

Anyone thinking Joe D is going to trade for a has been like Foles and waste a draft pick and pay him that salary, you are crazy.

If what happened with Vinny and Foley could happen here with Zach and another QB, sign me up. 

• WTF? 2

I see them bringing in a vet that is cut at end of TC, assuming no injuries before then. They will give every opportunity and reps to the Morgan and White for the backup role until then. I'm hoping they get an experienced Vet at end of TC and cut White and develop Morgan. Shouldn't go into the season without an esxperinced Vet IMO.

I said no because at this point, I don't  think it will matter. We are on the Wilson train. Now it is possible  someone gets cut that might look like a fit but I doubt that will happen. Wilson is going to be the giy this season and if he sucks or if he gets hurt,  nobody who isn't  already on the roster will make a difference.  

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

If what happened with Vinny and Foley could happen here with Zach and another QB, sign me up. 

Really? Instead of having drafted a franchise QB in Wilson and have the position settled for 10+ years, you want Wilson to get injured (that's what happened to Foley) and be replaced by an old veteran who will go on to have one great season, one season missed with an injury, two very mediocre (at best) seasons, and then crap the bed?  So in 2025 the Jets are back to finding a franchise QB after a playoff appearance or two and no titles or stability.  Not for me.  

Just now, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Really? Instead of having drafted a franchise QB in Wilson and have the position settled for 10+ years, you want Wilson to get injured (that's what happened to Foley) and be replaced by an old veteran who will go on to have one great season, one season missed with an injury, two very mediocre (at best) seasons, and then crap the bed?  

It wouldn't happen that way , but what I am saying is if a QB can come in and lift this team now like Vinny, I would be all for it. I really don't  care who it is, Vinny took this team one game away from making the SB. Ill take that. 

Don't think it's needed.  Any advice Zach needs, he can easily get from Steve Young.  I'll take that over a jag backup.  No offense to jag backups.  Besides, at the end of the day, it's really on Zach to do what it takes to be successful. 

• Upvote 1

So when does one become a veteran?  Mike White is entering his 4th year in the NFL .

It's not as though a "mentor" is going to show Wilson how to be good at football.  Usually the mentor has been pedestrian or worse as a player.  The mentor is there to be a sounding board.  Maybe help the young guy get acclimated to NFL practices and Film Study.  Good habits etc.  It's quite possible Mike White is capable of doing that 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

It wouldn't happen that way , but what I am saying is if a QB can come in and lift this team now like Vinny, I would be all for it. I really don't  care who it is, Vinny took this team one game away from making the SB. Ill take that. 

And Sanchez did it twice.. Bowl winning backup Flacco went 0-4 last year.. If your a established playoff team there is a value for a good backup no doubt but we aren't there yet. After Bledsoe was traded to the Bills who was the most experienced backup Brady had in his time in NE??

7 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

What time is it over there? just curious. It’s 3:07 AM here so this thread looks a bit crazy lol but to answer this question...nah.

• don’t give the media a reason to say “when will you bench Wilson” should he look uninspiring 2-3 games in a row.

• don't take practice reps from any of these younger guys.

• back up QB money = no Moses. (Yes they can afford both. Doubt they would sign both) JD seems to be purposely rolling over 20M+ each offseason. He’s done it in each of his first two offseasons. 

before Mullins signed in Philly, he was the only QB with EXP in a SF offense. Now there is none. Any QB signed now would be learning a new system just as Wilson will be.

Good point, just roll with Wilson and White

• Upvote 1

You don't sign an experienced vet to be a mentor.  You do sign an experienced vet if you don't think your current back-ups are capable of running a competent offense.  As long as either White or Morgan looked competent, there is no reason to bring in a vet. 

If they both appear to be at a Luke Falk level, then I would prefer we bring someone in who can at least run an offense and help other young guys develop.

Not sure who would be left as a potential FA, but the one thing I would not want to do is trade an asset for a MInshew or Foles.  We already used a 4 last year on a potential backup.  Hopefully he (or White) has shown enough to win the job.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

And Sanchez did it twice.. Bowl winning backup Flacco went 0-4 last year.. If your a established playoff team there is a value for a good backup no doubt but we aren't there yet. After Bledsoe was traded to the Bills who was the most experienced backup Brady had in his time in NE??

Your not seriously comparing the run VT made to the 2 Sanchez made? Vinny put together one of the best season by a Jets QB ever. 29 TD to 7 picks and over 3k yards. Sanchez threw 12 TDs his rookie season and almost broke Peytons int. Record

• Upvote 1

I think we should sign a veteran backup QB.

Not because I care about him "mentoring" Wilson as much as because the #2 and #3 options on this team are rough and if Wilson misses time I don't want to hamper the development of the rest of our young players or hurt our cultural momentum by trotting out some dogsh*t QB who can't play.

I'm not interested in tanking in 2021. I want to be competitive and win as many games as we can.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

James Morgan 0 NFL snaps 

Mike White 0 NFL snaps 

Zach Wilson rookie NFL QB 0 snaps 

I would think JD and Saleh want some type of backup in place. 

So we can avoid a scenario like this. 

image.png.871a89513c5aa27ce786a12a339ae1e4.png

I heard the Saleh STH phone conference yesterday and it definitely sounds as if they are not signing a veteran. Saleh said that signing vet QBs takes valuable reps away from young QBs who have potential and with the new training camp rules there are not enough reps to evaluate young QBs. He made it clear he is comfortable with the QBs in camp.  I can see signing a vet back up QB when the team is a SB contender and you need to win some games if the starter is banged up. But the Jets are building a competitive roster and going with young back up QBs makes sense.  Who is our there anyway? Foles?  The vet QBs that are available are garbage.

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

What?

Vinny had one great flash in the pan season. We don't want that. Been there, done that.

We want to develop our 21 (soon to be 22) year old QB into a franchise QB.  We don't want to have to worry about the QB position for at least a decade. That's the goal. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

What?

Vinny had one great flash in the pan season. We don't want that. Been there, done that.

We want to develop our 21 (soon to be 22) year old QB into a franchise QB.  We don't want to have to worry about the QB position for at least a decade. That's the goal. 

VT took us to the AFCCG. 

Yes, I think they should, but no, I don't believe they will.

I like (and respect) how Jets' management is approaching player development (good lord, did I actually just write that?). It seems that with the CB's and QB's JD and RS are letting the youngsters play and fight for a spot on the team. With the CB's, it's a numbers game. He is betting that one of this group is going to rise up and excel, while the others may fade to back-up, ST or out of football. At least he is taking a position and giving some athletic players show what they can do. It seems like he is doing the same with the 3 young QB's. My concern is the difference between one of the CB's getting injured and Wilson going down. 

It's also a statement about his confidence in his coaching staff.

I don't find bringing in a vet necessary as a mentor but the team needs somebody who can run an offense in the backup role. If that's somebody who can and will provide vet insight to the rest of the QBs then great. I don't know that the two other guys are ready to do that in a game. I like the idea that we might develop a cheap backup that can be sold off after his rookie contract but in June we have no idea whether either of the non-Wilson QBs are ready to suit up as a backup and keep the offense afloat. 

There's still time to pick somebody up later in the offseason if needed but I am looking forward to seeing what the current group can do.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

VT took us to the AFCCG. 

Yes  . . . Once. 

I am aiming a bit higher. 

Again, the goal isn't one or two nice playoff runs with a veteran-laden, short window team. We want to turn into a perennially good team that has a legitimate chance to complete every year for a decade. 

In order to do that, we need to develop a decent young QB. 

• Upvote 1