Should the Jets sign an experienced QB to mentor their young QB's ?

Should the Jets sign an experienced QB to mentor their young QB's ?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Jets sign an experienced QB to mentor their young QB's ?

• YES
    • NO
    • Never gonna happen ; Saleh is too power hungry

He doesn’t need a “mentor”

The whole mentor thing is one of the more stupid narratives that regularly gets thrown around.  
You don’t need to eat up cap space - hire a good QB coach!

Now, if want an experienced back up in case of injury, someone that can win a game or two if your QB goes down, so be it.  
but even that this year, it’s a rebuild year where W and L expectations are low. Let Morgan get reps if Zach gets hurt. 

Edited by FidelioJet
  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

31 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

He doesn’t need a “mentor”

The whole mentor thing is one of the more stupid narratives that regularly gets thrown around.  
You don’t need to eat up cap space - hire a good QB coach!

Now, if want an experienced back up in case of injury, someone that can win a game or two if your QB goes down, so be it.  
but even that this year, it’s a rebuild year where W and L expectations are low. Let Morgan get reps if Zach gets hurt. 

^^This

Why is a mediocre player competing for your spot a better mentor than a coach?

Answer:  Because it makes a good article in the newspaper.

I'm not saying that mentoring is not a thing.  I am just saying that bringing in a last minute retread does not make them a mentor just because they are old.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Larz said:

Yea 

week 4 of the preseason 

let Wilson get all the reps

There is no Week 4 of preseason anymore.

And he wouldn't get all the reps anyway, as it stands today, Morgan and White would get the bulk of those reps......if we still had 4 weeks of preseason.

• Sympathy 1

The best thing the veteran mentor provides is the guy on the sidelines that Zach could talk to when the offense isn’t on the field to talk about what just happened/what’s happening next. But this staff has chosen to try something interesting: they hired a QB coach. That’s the guy who Zach can turn to when he’s on the sidelines. While a fellow player is nice to talk to In those instances, having a position coach should keep the message more consistent. Last thing the rookie needs is too many voices in his head. So no, no mentor needed. A competent backup is all that’s needed. If they believe Morgan and/or White can handle those duties, I’m good. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

Absolutely not. I’m not saying Zach is gonna hear those guys behind him make a lot of noise, but if they do happen to unseat him, may the best next man step up! More likely than anything else, the guys now offer positive pressure. 

Why would this team which is finally righting itself waste cap money and possibly precious draft capital with someone who will never see the field?

Or if he were to see the field, then certainly not as any serious backup plan to continue whatever winning pace the team may have been on. 

bronx jet said it best- mentor is the quarterback coach. 

1 hour ago, Lizard King said:

Absolutely not. I’m not saying Zach is gonna hear those guys behind him make a lot of noise, but if they do happen to unseat him, may the best next man step up! More likely than anything else, the guys now offer positive pressure. 

Why would this team which is finally righting itself waste cap money and possibly precious draft capital with someone who will never see the field?

Or if he were to see the field, then certainly not as any serious backup plan to continue whatever winning pace the team may have been on. 

bronx jet said it best- mentor is the quarterback coach. 

You didn't find veteran QB Flacco's 0-4 run exciting last year??B) 

What do you think ?

The whole mentor thing is very overrated. How many quarterbacks turned out better by having Ryan Fitzpatrick or Josh McCown on the same team as them? None. They should however get a backup quarterback so I never have to see forfeit football like when they trotted out Luke Falk for 2 and a half games in 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The Luke Falk failure was way better dude had no clue or no right to be wearing an NFL uniform.  White and Morgan could be Luke Falk II. 

If i thought we had a playoff shot this year I would be for a vet player capable of wining a game but I don't think we are there yet so lets see what the young guys can do. No preseason or anything else last season set a lot of guys back except for maybe Becton..

It really depends on who the mentor is. Would Nick Mullens really have qualified as a "mentor" to Zach Wilson? I mean he's played in the league, but what has he accomplished? A mentor only makes sense if it's someone who has accomplished something or been around a long time.

I don't think there is really anyone out there at this point. Jets are probably hoping Nick Foles is cut and is willing to come in and be the backup. 

• Upvote 2

On 6/20/2021 at 1:53 AM, ScarletKnight89 said:

A mentor only makes sense if it's someone who has accomplished something or been around a long time.

So like a David Garrard, Mark Brunell, Michael Vick, Joe Flacco type.

• Upvote 1

On 6/19/2021 at 2:13 PM, Rangers9 said:

First there are injuries and Morgan and Wilson and White haven’t played one snap in the NFL. You’d think we’d learn our lesson after Luke Falk. I think the Jets will sign someone but isn’t it getting a little late in the game. 

What is the risk you see here that a "veteran QB" like Brian Hoyer or his ilk (the most likely type we'd sign) solves?

Do you think an experienced veteran who is 16-23 in his career makes some kind of major difference to this team in 2021, all things considered, vs. the unknown of a guy our GM choose to draft just a year ago?

Lets play it out, Wilson goes down in Week 10, 7 games to go.  We're sitting at 5-5, a few games out of contention at that point behind Buffalo and say Miami (just for argument) and tied with New England for 3rd in the AFCE.

Seven games to go, Hoyer vs. Morgan, what major difference is Hoyer making in those 7 games that you are sure Morgan (or White) could not make? If Hoyer wins slightly more, and goes 3-4 (thats generous but again, for argument) and we finish 8-9, but Morgan might only go 2-5 or even 1-6 maybe, and we finish 7-10 or even 6-11 say, is that something we really have to worry about?  We get a better draft pick, we would know Morgan maybe isn't a #2 solution and could move on from him in that proposed role, and what?  What did we lose out on that matters?

Morgan might have a future here as a #2.  Hoyer is old, a known JAG, and has no real future in the NFL at this point.  I'm sorry, I'm just not seeing what problems/risks having a Hoyer-a-like solves for this very young, developing Jets roster and team.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

What is the risk you see here that a "veteran QB" like Brian Hoyer or his ilk (the most likely type we'd sign) solves?

Do you think an experienced veteran who is 16-23 in his career makes some kind of major difference to this team in 2021, all things considered, vs. the unknown of a guy our GM choose to draft just a year ago?

Lets play it out, Wilson goes down in Week 10, 7 games to go.  We're sitting at 5-5, a few games out of contention at that point behind Buffalo and say Miami (just for argument) and tied with New England for 3rd in the AFCE.

Seven games to go, Hoyer vs. Morgan, what major difference is Hoyer making in those 7 games that you are sure Morgan (or White) could not make? If Hoyer wins slightly more, and goes 3-4 (thats generous but again, for argument) and we finish 8-9, but Morgan might only go 2-5 or even 1-6 maybe, and we finish 7-10 or even 6-11 say, is that something we really have to worry about?  We get a better draft pick, we would know Morgan maybe isn't a #2 solution and could move on from him in that proposed role, and what?  What did we lose out on that matters?

Morgan might have a future here as a #2.  Hoyer is old, a known JAG, and has no real future in the NFL at this point.  I'm sorry, I'm just not seeing what problems/risks having a Hoyer-a-like solves for this very young, developing Jets roster and team.

Exactly. Contending teams have a need for a standard JAG type who can maybe steal a game if the starter misses some action. Where Jets are now I greatly prefer a backup with at least some theoretical upside. If that is Morgan or White, great. I wanted Trubisky but that ship has sailed. If Morgan/White look like Luke Falk 2.0, trade for Minshew.

2 hours ago, jgb said:

If Morgan/White look like Luke Falk 2.0, trade for Minshew.

Hopefully, we never see Morgan/White play a single snap in a real game in 2021. 

If we do, I hope they can play at least as well as a veteran loser JAG like Hoyer.

If they can't, then we at least know they're not adequate, and that #2 QB IS a need going forward if 2022 is a seson where we DO expect to compete for the postseason.

Rick/Reward says we have a year here in 2021 where we can afford to find out what our 4th round draft pick is or isn;t without much downside.

That may not be true in 2022.  We hope, lol.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

Hopefully, we never see Morgan/White play a single snap in a real game in 2021. 

If we do, I hope they can play at least as well as a veteran loser JAG like Hoyer.

If they can't, then we at least know they're not adequate, and that #2 QB IS a need going forward if 2022 is a seson where we DO expect to compete for the postseason.

Rick/Reward says we have a year here in 2021 where we can afford to find out what our 4th round draft pick is or isn;t without much downside.

That may not be true in 2022.  We hope, lol.

Precisely. Hope Morgan or White shows something to point to upside before the season and we don’t need to bring someone else in. But a Foles/Mullins is a waste of everyone’s time.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, fullblast said:

They should sign a vet so the team doesn't get Luke Falk'd if/when Zach misses time. The "mentor" thing is a bit overblown to me.

They will.  It will happen right beofre the season starts.  No need to bring in any veterans right now.  Young guys need reps to evaluate what we have,

I think matt Barkley will be hear in late August/early September.

13 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

They will.  It will happen right beofre the season starts.  No need to bring in any veterans right now.  Young guys need reps to evaluate what we have,

I think matt Barkley will be hear in late August/early September.

In that case they may as well just stick with Morgan and White.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

JD has to go get Foles. He's the best fit to be Zach's mentor/backup.

Foles hasn’t been good lately and his contract is terrible ($9M guaranteed over the next two years plus a $4M roster bonus due in 2022). The Bears would have to give me a decent pick just to agree to take that contract off of their hands and, given their cap situation, they just might do it. And even then, I’m probably not all that interested. 

• Upvote 2