Fowler: Jets and Moses making progress

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Also suggests that they are serious about supporting their rookie QB.  No guarantee that Wilson will succeed, but if he doesn't we will not be debating whether he really got a chance.

Sounds like we are getting closer.  Mods - feel free to merge with other Moses threads, just thought that updated report of progress warranted a separate thread.

Boys, maybe it's my rose(and green) colored glasses, but this significant push to sign Moses tells me that the staff and JD think they have enough talent to be competitive this year 

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

All this good news makes me spend money:

Added Jets future bets today:

To Win East +2100:  $50 to win $1050

Saleh Coach of the Year +2000:  $50 to win $1000

Jets over 6 wins -110: $50 to win $45.40

Jets to make playoffs +500: $50 to win $250

the bold is the only one I would take a chance on. +2000  (which book gave those odds?)  I'd do $50 ---> $1,000.  (I edited the payouts for comparison sake)

9 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

.... Jesus. 

and I like Nania but I don’t agree. I think Fant suits better as a back up swing tackle if Moses is a Jet. 

you put your best players on the field - Moses is better.

Let’s just see how bad the RG spot looks before we do something this desperate.

It'll be really interesting how the Jets handle this. One thing that seems to be consensus is Fant doesn't have the anchor to play guard. I have no idea if thats true or not - but that seems to be what a lot of people who watch more film say. Presumably Moses will be the best version of himself at RT, but the more important question is does a right side of RT: Fant RG: Moses> RT: Moses RG: GVR

The fact that its a multi-year deal makes me think there is a chance (albeit I think most likely is Fant hits the bench and Moses is our new RT) that Moses will play guard. No way he'd take a 1 year deal to play guard b/c then he'd be going into FA next year as a guard who you could revert back to tackle. If the Jets are wiling to say hey we'll pay you the most for three years but you're a guard now - than he may not be as worried about his next free agency run. 

• Upvote 4
1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Nope. Fant doesn't have the build/anchor to play guard, IMO. He'll be a backup/swing tackle most likely.

This is my main gripe with everyone saying he’ll play RG. 

sometimes guys play positions because they are best suited for those positions...not because they wake up feeling like a RG one day.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, Dcat said:

the bold is the only one I would take a chance on. +2000  (which book gave those odds?)  I'd do $50 ---> $1,000.  

Found that on William Hill, all the other apps had him at +1800

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Nope. Fant doesn't have the build/anchor to play guard, IMO. He'll be a backup/swing tackle most likely.

that makes much more sense.  Especially with Fragile Becton.

2 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Found that on William Hill, all the other apps had him at +1800

actually, If the Saleh bet wins, then it is pretty much a lock that at least two if not all 3 of the others will have happened too.  

• Upvote 2
1 minute ago, Dcat said:

that makes much more sense.  Especially with Fragile Becton.

Yup.  Fant started 24 games at tackle in Seattle, and I think most of those were at LT.  If Becton's injury lingers, we at least have a guy with starting experience to step in.

• Upvote 4
37 minutes ago, Lith said:

If I am Fant, I am thnking that if I lose my job to this guy, I am going to make him pay for the jersey #.

Holy hell! That dude ain’t soft! Geesh!!

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Lith said:

Yup.  Fant started 24 games at tackle in Seattle, and I think most of those were at LT.  If Becton's injury lingers, we at least have a guy with starting experience to step in.

Softness is a condition not an injury. 

If we sign Moses, he’ll be the best OL on our team. Put him at RT. I can’t see Fant being a reason to change Moses position.

Have Fant compete for the RG spot. If he loses, he’ll make for an excellent swing tackle. 

• Upvote 1
56 minutes ago, Lith said:

Not a done deal yet -- but is sure does not feel like past years where players used us for leverage to get more from the team they really wanted to play for.

Isn't there a fairly good chance that is exactly what is happening? 

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Isn't there a fairly good chance that is exactly what is happening? 

Time will tell.

15 minutes ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

It'll be really interesting how the Jets handle this. One thing that seems to be consensus is Fant doesn't have the anchor to play guard. I have no idea if thats true or not - but that seems to be what a lot of people who watch more film say. Presumably Moses will be the best version of himself at RT, but the more important question is does a right side of RT: Fant RG: Moses> RT: Moses RG: GVR

The fact that its a multi-year deal makes me think there is a chance (albeit I think most likely is Fant hits the bench and Moses is our new RT) that Moses will play guard. No way he'd take a 1 year deal to play guard b/c then he'd be going into FA next year as a guard who you could revert back to tackle. If the Jets are wiling to say hey we'll pay you the most for three years but you're a guard now - than he may not be as worried about his next free agency run. 

If he signs with a multi-year deal with the Jets it may be him reverting back to RT  for 2022.  I don't think Fant has any guarantees for next season and the $10M might be better spent elsewhere.  Contracts seem down and Fant is like 6th highest paid RT.  

There's no way Douglas is going to have Fant as a "swing OT" at $9 million.  That's

a starter salary

3 minutes ago, KRL said:

There's no way Douglas is going to have Fant as a "swing OT" at $9 million.  That's

a starter salary

Not if Becton is likely to be hampered by the foot.  We may see our 'swing OT' start a few games and play in a few more.  At that point, I'm not against overpaying a bit to know we aren't putting a human turnstile in there.

• Upvote 4
2 minutes ago, KRL said:

a starter salary

Generally I agree, but as I said above, salaries seem down.  If they can lock up Moses now for say 3 at a reasonable price, they might save money in the long run carrying Fant as a swing tackle.  Moses was scheduled to make less than $8M and the WFT was unable to get anything for him.  Lock him up for 3/$21M or 4/$28M with a couple of years guaranteed, they might save money over rolling with Fant and being in the market next offseason.

• Upvote 2

Funny how solid players get available through the year.  I think most people were expecting a move like this during the free agency period.  This could be a good move. Douglas has really brought in some solid players.  I wonder where Clark is going to fit?  Endoga?  I believe fant only has one more year after this year under contract so Moses will move right in.  Continuity on the oline is a good thing.

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, Flightattendant said:

What does ink have to do with being soft or not? 

Adam Levine is covered in them ffs

You ever sit for  back piece? 

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Also suggests that they are serious about supporting their rookie QB.  No guarantee that Wilson will succeed, but if he doesn't we will not be debating whether he really got a chance.

Exactly.  There are no excuses for Wilson.  We failed Sam but JD has Built a better oline, actual nfl weapons, and most importantly competent coaching.  So JD is going everything in his power to help our young QB

37 minutes ago, Lith said:

This. If this signing does happen, suddenly the Jets have quality depth at OT.  I wonder if there's an issue with Becton...maybe the Jets are not happy with his offseason conditioning, workouts, etc.  Hopefully this is just about getting a quality player (Moses) at a good price and enhancing depth on the OL.

• Upvote 1
52 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Moses is a better run blocker than he is a pass blocker.  Maybe he would be better suited to guard, if they can talk him into it.

Fant has not been great against power rushers but good against speed rushers. Look at the Seattle playoff game against San Fran (I always reference this one). He did well against Bosa but got pushed back a few times against the bull rush. I don't think he would make a good guard (seems it would play to his weaknesses) but Moses sounds like he might. I hope that would be the plan but I guess I'll trust the CS either way. 

Along with that, GVR seems decent as a pass blocker but not as much so as a run blocker. 

• Upvote 1