Report: Jets Close to Multi-Year Deal With Morgan Moses

Joe Douglas

It seems Jets GM Joe Douglas is inching closer to a near-miraculous overhaul of the New York Jets’ once beleaguered offensive line as NFL insider Jeremy Fowler reports that multiple teams have shown interest, but that the Jets are favorites to land the right tackle.

The #Jets and OT Morgan Moses are making progress on a potential multi-year deal, per source. Nothing done but Jets considered favorite and have made a compelling push to sign the seven-year veteran. Other teams have been involved, too.

— Jeremy Fowler (@JFowlerESPN) June 17, 2021

Since inhering one of the worst lines in the NFL when he took over June of 2019, Douglas has used premium draft picks to add left tackle Mekhi Becton and left guard Alijah Vera-Tucker while signing veterans Connor McGovern, Greg Van Roten and George Fant to play center, right guard and right tackle respectively.  If he’s able to add Moses, it would likely supplant Fant who could become a swing tackle, kick inside to guard or possibly become a trade chip.

News of the potential deal being for multiple years is also good news for Gang Green as it would mean more continuity from a player who has consistently performed at a high level.

The post Report: Jets Close to Multi-Year Deal With Morgan Moses appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/Jetnationcom/~4/6rklnh3jqBY

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, OilfieldJet said:

Our lack of attention to the OL over the last 10 years is criminal.

Totally agree.  With 5 starters it is the largest position group.  About 23% of the 22 starting players are O lineman. How this mathematical certainty escaped the attention of the Jets brass escapes me.  Combine that with the O line being an integral part of football success and there is no excuse for the Jets utter lack of attention to the position in the draft before JD cam to town. Perennially good teams, like the Ravens and Steelers, often select multiple O lineman in a draft and frequently use a pick in the first three rounds on an O lineman. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

14 hours ago, jgb said:

Seems so simple. Build the lines for success in the NFL. Makes you wonder why so many GMs don’t. 

A lot of GM's don't want to spend high picks on OL because they're harder to evaluate (thanks in part to all the spread offenses in the college game).  They worry what will happen to them if they don't pan out?  The only thing that gets a GM fired quicker than a QB's failure is OL failure (which impacts the whole offense).  Might as well go with the safe choice, typically a defensive player, and only use a few mid-rounders on OL from time to time.  If you need to fill a hole on the OL, go with a band-aid choice.  

It's a terrible strategy in the long run, obviously, but one that tends to prolong a GM's tenure.  

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

A lot of GM's don't want to spend high picks on OL because they're harder to evaluate (thanks in part to all the spread offenses in the college game).  They worry what will happen to them if they don't pan out?  The only thing that gets a GM fired quicker than a QB's failure is OL failure (which impacts the whole offense).  Might as well go with the safe choice, typically a defensive player, and only use a few mid-rounders on OL from time to time.  If you need to fill a hole on the OL, go with a band-aid choice.  

It's a terrible strategy in the long run, obviously, but one that tends to prolong a GM's tenure.  

Good summary. I had always wondered, at least I can see the self-preservation aspect now.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

Good summary. I had always wondered, at least I can see the self-preservation aspect now.

You can see hints of it for other bad organizations.  Just look at the Jaguars.  In 2013, they used a # 2 overall pick on a LT, Luke Joeckel, a bust who was off the team in 4 years and out of the league within 5 years.

Since that time, this was where the Jaguars took their OL:

• 2014:  3rd rounder (G/C Brandon Linder); 6th rounder (Center Luke Bowanko)
  • 2015:  3rd rounder (G AJ Cann)
  • 2016:  NONE
  • 2017:  2nd rounder (LT Cam Robinson)
  • 2018:  4th rounder (T Will Richardson)
  • 2019:  2nd rounder (T Jawaan Taylor)
  • 2020:  4th rounder (G Ben Bartch)
  • 2021:  2nd rounder (T Walker Little)

No 1st rounders used on the OL since 2013.  Lately, they've been putting increased draft capital towards the OL, but from 2014-16 it was a Macc-like effort in the draft.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Perennially good teams, like the Ravens and Steelers, often select multiple O lineman in a draft and frequently use a pick in the first three rounds on an O lineman. 

I had to check that:

Since 2010, Pittsburgh used  2 picks from each round in 11 years, and 3 in the fourth.  A total of 17 picks in 11 years. 

Baltimore used 19 picks.  Only 1 in each of the first and second rounds, but 4 picks in the 3rd, 5th, and 6th rounds, and 5 in the 4th.

The Jets, in that same time frame: JD has drafted three in two years.  In the other 10 drafts, we drafted 8 players: 1 in round 2, 2 in round 3, the vast majority in rounds 5-7.

• Upvote 3

23 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You can see hints of it for other bad organizations.  Just look at the Jaguars.  In 2013, they used a # 2 overall pick on a LT, Luke Joeckel, a bust who was off the team in 4 years and out of the league within 5 years.

Since that time, this was where the Jaguars took their OL:

• 2014:  3rd rounder (G/C Brandon Linder); 6th rounder (Center Luke Bowanko)
  • 2015:  3rd rounder (G AJ Cann)
  • 2016:  NONE
  • 2017:  2nd rounder (LT Cam Robinson)
  • 2018:  4th rounder (T Will Richardson)
  • 2019:  2nd rounder (T Jawaan Taylor)
  • 2020:  4th rounder (G Ben Bartch)
  • 2021:  2nd rounder (T Walker Little)

No 1st rounders used on the OL since 2013.  Lately, they've been putting increased draft capital towards the OL, but from 2014-16 it was a Macc-like effort in the draft.

The NFL should give out an annual Maccagnan Award.  

Toilet-Bowl-Trophy__19622.1545324244.500

• Sympathy 1

22 hours ago, TheClashFan said:

Yeah, I'd draft at least one OL every year.  You have to assume that some of your picks each year will disappoint/bust, so keep drafting OL. Always have one or two young, talented developmental guys on your team. 

I hope JD keeps up the 3 every 2 years pace.

It's not just busting, but FA losses, injury, and retirements deplete the line. If you lose one out of five starters and one out of four backups each year, you have to prepare for that kind of attrition.

• Upvote 2

On 6/17/2021 at 9:15 PM, jgb said:

Seems so simple. Build the lines for success in the NFL. Makes you wonder why so many GMs don’t. 

It's f*cking FOOTBALL 101 and yet these idiots that the owners hire think they can get cheap along the OL, or simply IGNORE the OL altogether. It's as common sense as keeping water out of a submarine. Let's look at the facts:

1) After drafting a few decent linemen Terry Bradway stopped caring about the OL. Let Randy Thomas and Kareem McKenzie leave in free agency. Did NOTHING to replace those losses.

2) Immediately after drafting D'Brichashaw and Mangold, the very following season he gets CHEAP, bites off his own nose just to spite his face and stiffs Pete Kendall out of a measly million dollars. Eventually trades Kendall because he wanted OUT after getting screwed by Tanny. So Tanny, in his infinite wisdom (sarcasm intended), replaces Kendall with ADRIAN CLARKE at LG. Clarke was so f*cking bad he literally became a running joke among football fans in general. Jets go 4-12 in 2007 due in largest part to Clarke. In 2011, he gets DUMB again in replacing Damien Woody with WAYNE HUNTER. That guy was so bad he literally caused catastrophic failure in the Jets offense. Then Tanny THINKS he can replace Wayne Hunter with VLADIMIR DUCASSE. You literally can't write comedy scripts as purely incompetent as Tanny was.

3) Mac just decides he doesn't give a flying f*ck about OL. In 2016, he turns down an opportunity to trade the Jets 1st, 2nd, and 4th round draft choices to move up 10 spots and take Laremy Tunsil. Miraculously, the consensus best OL pick in the draft had slipped to 10 because of the weed smoking gas mask incident and yet MAC still decides not to so he can select DARRON LEE and CHRISTIAN HACKENBERG instead. Honestly, after Mac made that move he should've been f*cking FIRED on the spot.

But honestly, and to my sheer shock and dismay, Joe Douglas actually MEANS what he says. He says the OL must be overhauled and then he actually follows through with it?! On what planet does any Jets GM give a sh*t about the OL?????

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

It's f*cking FOOTBALL 101 and yet these idiots that the owners hire think they can get cheap along the OL, or simply IGNORE the OL altogether. It's as common sense as keeping water out of a submarine. Let's look at the facts:

1) After drafting a few decent linemen Terry Bradway stopped caring about the OL. Let Randy Thomas and Kareem McKenzie leave in free agency. Did NOTHING to replace those losses.

2) Immediately after drafting D'Brichashaw and Mangold, the very following season he gets CHEAP, bites off his own nose just to spite his face and stiffs Pete Kendall out of a measly million dollars. Eventually trades Kendall because he wanted OUT after getting screwed by Tanny. So Tanny, in his infinite wisdom (sarcasm intended), replaces Kendall with ADRIAN CLARKE at LG. Clarke was so f*cking bad he literally became a running joke among football fans in general. Jets go 4-12 in 2007 due in largest part to Clarke. In 2011, he gets DUMB again in replacing Damien Woody with WAYNE HUNTER. That guy was so bad he literally caused catastrophic failure in the Jets offense. Then Tanny THINKS he can replace Wayne Hunter with VLADIMIR DUCASSE. You literally can't write comedy scripts as purely incompetent as Tanny was.

3) Mac just decides he doesn't give a flying f*ck about OL. In 2016, he turns down an opportunity to trade the Jets 1st, 2nd, and 4th round draft choices to move up 10 spots and take Laremy Tunsil. Miraculously, the consensus best OL pick in the draft had slipped to 10 because of the weed smoking gas mask incident and yet MAC still decides not to so he can select DARRON LEE and CHRISTIAN HACKENBERG instead. Honestly, after Mac made that move he should've been f*cking FIRED on the spot.

But honestly, and to my sheer shock and dismay, Joe Douglas actually MEANS what he says. He says the OL must be overhauled and then he actually follows through with it?! On what planet does any Jets GM give a sh*t about the OL?????

Man this post really hits home. I’ve said before basically every Jets regime falls apart largely due to OL collapse/neglect. Nice job for documenting it so starkly.

Also why a guy like Gettleman (remember his “hog mollies” comment?) will get chance after chance to be a GM in this league while Idzik and Macc will never sniff the chair again.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

I equate what you are saying with a baseball analogy:

The bases are loaded and the count is 3-0 to the batter.  The score is tied 0-0 in the bottom of the ninth with one out.  The batter swings at the next pitch, and causes a double-play to end the inning and go into extra innings.  

Saleh made an interesting comment the other day.  He said that football is the only sport he knows that you need other players to come together to get better as a team; you can't do it individually.

In baseball, you can take batting practice.  In basketball, you can work on your shot.  

I take what Saleh said and go further.  You can not have a quality offensive line unless all 5 lineman are quality players.  You can't have 2 outstanding players and 3 mediocre players and have a good line.  It just doesn't work that way. 

I feel that our previous GM's believe that good enough is good enough.

That is not the way I see the current regime.  It could be argued that before free agency, the defensive line was good enough less one edge rusher that we needed.  Joe Douglas did not just get one player in free agency for the D line; he got 3 players in free agency for the D line.  Good enough is not good enough.  It could be argued that we didn't need Elijah Moore in the second round because our wide receivers were good enough with our free agent additions.  Joe Douglas did not feel that good enough was good enough, and drafted Moore in the second round.

JD I believe feels the same way about the offensive line, and Saleh is very supportive of this strategy.

We still have holes, but I absolutely buy in 100% to what JD is doing, and this will be on of the big reasons that this franchise will now begin to turn around for success.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Did anyone from the FO say the Jets are close to signing him or is this just speculation from a blog??

Have we gotten any leaks from the JD regime that turned out to be true? Seems like every signing has come out of nowhere. I’d like this to happen, but I’ll believe it when I see it. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Is this happening, or is it using the Jets as leverage as usual?

I think all these stories come from players agents. If this was close, that would mean it was agreed to in principle and the language  just needs to be worked out.  I don't think we are there yet.

• Upvote 2