Settle a Debate.... Do you have cash in your wallet/money clip right now

Do you have cash on you?   

35 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have cash on you?

• No
    • Yes more than $20
    • Yes $20 or less

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Why  is that a bad position, I don't need a cell phone, I don;t need a smart phone. 

Not "bad", but unusual. The convenience alone is difficult to pass up, I mean it's a computer at your side. I understand at some level, but these days access to so many goods and services revolves around your cell number. I think for me it would hard to manage without it. Maybe that's your point?

11 minutes ago, OilfieldJet said:

Not "bad", but unusual. The convenience alone is difficult to pass up, I mean it's a computer at your side. I understand at some level, but these days access to so many goods and services revolves around your cell number. I think for me it would hard to manage without it. Maybe that's your point?

Having a computer at you side 24/7 can be a bad thing fr many people.  And yes you hit on my point.  Sooner or later I will be forced to get a smart phone, not because I need it for communication, not because I need it for photos, not because need it to access the internet but because I need a cell phone number to give out to some org or because I need something that can house an app.

42 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Having a computer at you side 24/7 can be a bad thing fr many people.  And yes you hit on my point.  Sooner or later I will be forced to get a smart phone, not because I need it for communication, not because I need it for photos, not because need it to access the internet but because I need a cell phone number to give out to some org or because I need something that can house an app.

I get it. I'm impressed you have managed this long, well done! Good luck when you do finally get one. 

23 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Why  is that a bad position, I don't need a cell phone, I don;t need a smart phone. 

What if lost or car trouble or any bunch of other things.  You don’t need to use it actively just have it for safety. 

plus you can read jetnation on the toilet 

46 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

What if lost or car trouble or any bunch of other things.  You don’t need to use it actively just have it for safety. 

plus you can read jetnation on the toilet 

Car trouble is one of the few legit reasons.

What did people every do re car trouble before cell phones?  Die in the desert?

Cost of a phone and the inevitable upgrade a few years down the road.  Gross cost of plans here in Canada.

I also do not want to end up as a phone zombie of which there are oh so many.  I go for hikes in one of the parks here, lovely get aways while still being in the city.  The number of people gabbing on their cells as they walk down paths is pathetic.

Hey, I have no illusions, I do not hate technology, I just do not need a phone but I will be forced to get one sooner than later.

• Upvote 2

I primarily pay for anything I can with my Amex. Gotta compile those points for delta flights back home to see the fam.  Notwithstanding I always have a couple hundred in cash on me and an emergency stash hidden in the house for the just in case moment. 

On a side note, as a kid growing up in Brooklyn in the 80s, I always had a crisp $20 in my Velcro wallet.  The was my just in case I got mugged on the subway money.  Always had to have something to give the muggers, KHB, Decepts etc.  Empty pockets when they caught your ass usually led to a beat down. 

14 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

I primarily pay for anything I can with my Amex. Gotta compile those points for delta flights back home to see the fam.  Notwithstanding I always have a couple hundred in cash on me and an emergency stash hidden in the house for the just in case moment. 

On a side note, as a kid growing up in Brooklyn in the 80s, I always had a crisp $20 in my Velcro wallet.  The was my just in case I got mugged on the subway money.  Always had to have something to give the muggers, KHB, Decepts etc.  Empty pockets when they caught your ass usually led to a beat down. 

Nowadays you would get shot

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/25/2021 at 11:59 PM, Beerfish said:

Car trouble is one of the few legit reasons.

What did people every do re car trouble before cell phones?  Die in the desert?

Cost of a phone and the inevitable upgrade a few years down the road.  Gross cost of plans here in Canada.

I also do not want to end up as a phone zombie of which there are oh so many.  I go for hikes in one of the parks here, lovely get aways while still being in the city.  The number of people gabbing on their cells as they walk down paths is pathetic.

Hey, I have no illusions, I do not hate technology, I just do not need a phone but I will be forced to get one sooner than later.

car trouble is interesting.  i was in a medium size fender bender and the damages came out to about 6k (crazy!).  he takes 500 off by not doing some small cosmetic stuff that is fine, but he's willing to take another 10% off if i pay in cash.  Like $5k.   was you really want me to walk around with that much cash??

is this normal?

the place use to be 1 block from my apartment in a quiet part of Upper East side.  Not really an issue going that one block.

it's now moved to 126 street on the east side which is a slightly worse area.