Cimini thinks Tucker may be the best OLineman on the roster

54 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

I think you have to say based on experience and track record, Crowder, Cole and Davis have to be ranked higher

Put Moore ahead of him, too, but who would be the fifth guy? 

Either way, it’s disappointing. 

1 hour ago, Larz said:

ESPN cimini is reasonable. It’s so funny how he changes his tone based on who he’s writing for lol

You mean he writes what the guys who sign his paycheck want him to write?  What an fing surprise!

He had a lot of positive things to say--all dead accurate--but he covered himself for a 2021 down year.  I bet he's very comfortable with the Vegas predictions on wins.

• Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, slats said:

Put Moore ahead of him, too, but who would be the fifth guy? 

Either way, it’s disappointing. 

Definitely disappointing. Maybe Berrios? Felt like I read a lot of him in OTA and minicamp tweet threads. 

This is why you sign Cole. I do like Mims still and think he can have a role with his contested catch ability, particularly since Wilson seems to be the kind of guy who will make back shoulder throws. But he’s going to have to earn his spot.

• Sympathy 1

Call them Gang Green: New York Jets prepare for a season like no other - New York Jets Blog- ESPN

• cimini_rich.png&h=80&w=80&scale=crop
    Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- A look at what's happening around the New York Jets:

1. Fountain of youth: The Jets are three months away from the start of an unprecedented 2021 NFL season. For the first time in franchise history, they have a first-year coach, a rookie starting quarterback and a young roster. The roster characterization is subjective, but a quick review of seasons past confirms there has never been a season quite like the one on the horizon.

The Jets had two out of three in 2009, with coach Rex Ryan and quarterback Mark Sanchez as newbies, but that was a veteran team that made the playoffs after narrowly missing out in 2008. They came close to the trifecta in 1977, with coach Walt Michaels in charge of a youth movement, but quarterback Richard Todd had started six games the previous season as a rookie.

So buckle up, folks. This is going to be a wild ride -- and Robert Saleh is all for it.

"Pete Carroll once said, 'You can't be afraid to play young guys,'" the Jets' coach said, quoting one of his mentors. "They're hell on wheels and they're fun to watch."

The Jets should have at least a half dozen rookies in prominent roles, led by quarterback Zach Wilson. Currently, they have four players in the 30-and-up club, which makes them one of the youngest teams in the league. They have a handful of players who were in diapers when Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Tom Brady broke into the league in 2000, which should make for some fun "age" jokes for the Week 17 matchup. 

Saleh knows what's ahead: There will be growing pains, even for the coach, but he relishes the opportunity. The challenge for the coaching staff is to get the young players thinking and playing like veterans. When that happens, "You become an explosive team in a hurry," he said.

"But to get to that point takes some trials and tribulations, some bumps in the road and some headaches. You can't, as a football coach, be afraid to go through those bumps because there's light at the end of the tunnel. It might be a freight train or actual light, but it doesn't matter. We're going through that tunnel and you just got to go." For their sake, you hope it's not the Lincoln Tunnel at rush hour.

2. Scouting the Jets: Some personnel-related notes/observations from last week's minicamp:

Linebacker C.J. Mosley, who opted out last season, slimmed down and looks quicker. ... Outsiders might consider Ty Johnson the forgotten man at running back, but he's still very much in the team's plans. He made a strong impression. ... Another forgotten player, defensive tackle Nathan Shepherd, turned heads. ... Lamarcus Joyner could end up being a sneaky good free-agent signing. He played mostly free safety in minicamp, but his ability to cover slot receivers opens up different possibilities. ... Speaking of sneaky good signings, Keelan Cole can ball. He will be in the wide receiver rotation. ... Denzel Mims, who started eight games last season, isn't even among the best five receivers on this year's roster.

The Jets knew Elijah Moore was good -- they had a first-round grade on him -- but they were blown away by the rookie wide receiver. ... The early returns on first-round pick Alijah Vera-Tucker are extremely positive. I know, I know; it's early, and they weren't in pads, but he might be the best offensive lineman on the team. ... This coaching staff likes to employ a fullback, which allows them to control angles in the running game out of a two-back package. The leading candidate (actually, the only candidate) is Trevon Wesco.

Remember when tackle Chuma Edoga was considered a potential full-time starter? His roster spot is tenuous. He could be toast if the Jets sign free agent Morgan Moses. ...Four of the 12 cornerbacks are rookies, and Isaiah Dunn (undrafted) might be the best of the bunch. The Jets almost drafted him in the sixth round. ... Tight end Chris Herndon, who sat out the final day with leg tightness, failed to distinguish himself this spring. Let's just say he needs a strong training camp.

3. Silent safety: Marcus Maye blew off the media in minicamp, certainly out of character for him (not to mention a violation of the NFL media policy). Clearly, he didn't want to answer questions about his ongoing contract negotiations. Players answer contract questions all the time, especially this time of year. His silence spoke volumes.

Maye, who attended the mandatory camp after skipping the voluntary portion of the offseason, will play for the franchise-tag tender ($10.6 million) if he doesn't agree to a long-term deal by the July 15 deadline. This is a tough one to predict. Like most negotiations, it probably will go down to the deadline.

"We did miss him, to be completely honest," Jets defensive coordinator Jeff Ulbrich said. "But he's a guy that, in my short time getting to know him, is super eager to get caught up and to get up to speed with what we're doing. I'm excited about moving forward in training camp with him because he definitely will elevate this group in every way."

4. Backup plan: It doesn't sound like the Jets are planning to add a veteran quarterback, at least not based on Saleh's comments.

"I don't know if there’s much value, aside from being comfortable that, if the crap hits the fan, you have a veteran who's played football," he said.

But that's precisely the reason to add a veteran. If Wilson gets hurt in the preseason, would the Jets really open with James Morgan or Mike White, neither of whom has taken a regular-season snap? What kind of message does that send?

Saleh should know this better than most because of what happened with his previous organization. When the San Francisco 49ers had to go to the bench in 2017 and 2018, they turned to C.J. Beathard and Nick Mullens, neither of whom had played before. The 49ers were 6-10 and 4-12 in those seasons. Jimmy Garoppolo got hurt again in 2020, and they went 6-10 with Beathard and Mullens.

Some coaches like to have an older quarterback in the mentor role, but the value in that is debatable. What's not debatable is having the benefit of an experienced backup in case ... you know, the starter gets hurt or slumps. It's admirable Saleh wants to give White and Morgan a chance to develop, but the bottom line is winning games.

As I've said before, the Chicago BearsNick Foles should be a trade target. There's not much left in the free-agent cupboard. Robert Griffin III is the biggest name, and he hasn't done anything in a few years. Brian Hoyer, who piqued the Jets' interest last month, could shake free from the New England Patriots, but he has lost 17 straight starts.

Unless they change course and make a run at Foles, it looks like White and Morgan. That would be nice QB insurance in 2022, but not now.

5. Gang's all here: You may recall the NFLPA, citing health concerns, encouraged players to skip voluntary workouts -- and yet the Jets averaged about 80 players per day. Why? Guard Greg Van Roten, the team's union rep, told teammates it was in their best interest to attend. He cited last season's disappointment, the new coaching staff and the roster turnover as reasons why they needed to be there. It worked.

"I didn't think [staying away] was a good recipe for the players to follow," Van Roten said.

6. Q factor: Quinnen Williams, who sat out the offseason as he recovered from foot surgery, is expected to be ready for training camp. This is a big season for Williams, who is eligible for a new contract in 2022. If he delivers an encore performance, it will be interesting to see if the Jets pony up.

"I'm taking the steps to become eventually that dominant defensive tackle in the NFL," Williams said.

7. The last word: "It's like this is the world's greatest honeymoon. Whenever a new group comes in, there's the benefit of the doubt, but adversity will be the cement that solidifies everything that's been built, going through those tough times." -- Saleh.

• Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, Lith said:

I love the optimism, especially from Cimini, but how about we see him play in pads at least once before calling him a star.

It's actually ridiculous, all these proclamations.  I'm seeing some guys on Twitter saying Elijah Moore will be the best WR on the Jets in at least a decade.  Huh?  I have high hopes like anyone but none of these players have seen a single NFL snap.... in fact, not even a practice with pads against NFL talent.

This is how people set themselves up for disappointment.  Sorry Coach Saleh, I gotta pump the brakes just a little on some of these guys from an expectations standpoint before we get to All Gas, No Brake!  Again, very excited about guys like Moore, AVT, Dunn, etc. but let's not size up their gold jackets just yet, mmmkay?

• Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

30 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Mims not in the top 5 is a ridiculous position. What, because Berrios looked better in shorts and a t-shirt in mini camp? 

True but if Berrios  is the reason a freakishly gifted guy like Mims isn’t top five that speaks  volumes to how much Mims needs to work to show this coaching staff he wants it. Think that’s the point. Mims has to get healthy and show his stuff. 

• Sympathy 1

Let's have some fun with Cimini shall we.  My commentary is underlined:

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- A look at what's happening around the New York Jets:

1. Fountain of youth: The Jets are three months away from the start of an unprecedented 2021 NFL season. For the first time in franchise history, they have a first-year coach, a rookie starting quarterback and a young roster. The roster characterization is subjective, but a quick review of seasons past confirms there has never been a season quite like the one on the horizon.

The Jets had two out of three in 2009, with coach Rex Ryan and quarterback Mark Sanchez as newbies, but that was a veteran team that made the playoffs after narrowly missing out in 2008. They came close to the trifecta in 1977, with coach Walt Michaels in charge of a youth movement, but quarterback Richard Todd had started six games the previous season as a rookie.

So buckle up, folks. This is going to be a wild ride -- and Robert Saleh is all for it.

"Pete Carroll once said, 'You can't be afraid to play young guys,'" the Jets' coach said, quoting one of his mentors. "They're hell on wheels and they're fun to watch."

Of all the things that Saleh has said, I liked this one best.  We will never get better playing retreads from around the league.  You must build through the draft and make strategic additions.  There is no panacea.

The Jets should have at least a half dozen rookies in prominent roles, led by quarterback Zach Wilson. Currently, they have four players in the 30-and-up club, which makes them one of the youngest teams in the league. They have a handful of players who were in diapers when Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Tom Brady broke into the league in 2000, which should make for some fun "age" jokes for the Week 17 matchup.

That we have only four players who are 30 and over means that we have drafted poorly and are not very good.  Who are they anyway?  McGovern, Mosley, Shepherd and Curry?   

Saleh knows what's ahead: There will be growing pains, even for the coach, but he relishes the opportunity. The challenge for the coaching staff is to get the young players thinking and playing like veterans. When that happens, "You become an explosive team in a hurry," he said.

"But to get to that point takes some trials and tribulations, some bumps in the road and some headaches. You can't, as a football coach, be afraid to go through those bumps because there's light at the end of the tunnel. It might be a freight train or actual light, but it doesn't matter. We're going through that tunnel and you just got to go."

Ready or not, here comes the youngest team in the NFL. 

For their sake, you hope it's not the Lincoln Tunnel at rush hour.

2. Scouting the Jets: Some personnel-related notes/observations from last week's minicamp:

Linebacker C.J. Mosley, who opted out last season, slimmed down and looks quicker. ... Outsiders might consider Ty Johnson the forgotten man at running back, but he's still very much in the team's plans. He made a strong impression. ...

Nice to read that Ty Johnson is making the most of his opportunity.  I expect us to keep four halfbacks and he is one of them.

Another forgotten player, defensive tackle Nathan Shepherd, turned heads. ...

I respect Cimini, I do.  But how on earth can anyone tell anything about the lineman on either side of the ball?   There are no pads and no hitting until training camp.   Honestly, I do not see how anything can be judged in tee shirts aside from who puked during the conditioning run.  No pads, no hitting.  No hitting, no violence.  No violence, no NFL. 

I am glad to see that the guy looked good in shorts.

Lamarcus Joyner could end up being a sneaky good free-agent signing. He played mostly free safety in minicamp, but his ability to cover slot receivers opens up different possibilities. ...

I was thinking this too until I realized that Saleh does not play free safeties unless it is a prevent defense.  Otherwise, the safeties are interchangeable.  I think Joyner will prove to be a good signing when he proves he can tackle near the line of scrimmage (he has a reputation as a good cover safety).

Speaking of sneaky good signings, Keelan Cole can ball. He will be in the wide receiver rotation. ...

Cole has produced every year he has been in the league.  I expect more of the same.  I also think we got him cheap when you consider his versatility. 

Denzel Mims, who started eight games last season, isn't even among the best five receivers on this year's roster.

Fiddlesticks.  Mims started every game last year when he came off the disabled list and will be just fine.  This is not Laquan Treadwell and other big receivers who did not have the overall skill level to separate in the pros.  Mims is 6' 2.5", runs a 4.37 40, has 34" arms and 9.5" hands.  A prototype outside receiver build.  He is also a hands catcher and a tough guy blocker.  I expect him to start on the outside along with Davis.  Moore will play in the slot and be the gadget player.  Let's wait and see until training camp before we start shoveling dirt on him.

The Jets knew Elijah Moore was good -- they had a first-round grade on him -- but they were blown away by the rookie wide receiver. ...

If Moore wins the job on the outside then we really have something.  If he does not, he will still be deadly on end arounds, screens, and shovel passes.  Anything to get him the ball in space. 

The early returns on first-round pick Alijah Vera-Tucker are extremely positive. I know, I know; it's early, and they weren't in pads, but he might be the best offensive lineman on the team. ...

Let's hope so.  He was expensive.  We can find starting guards in the third round.  Those two 3d round choices would have yielded exactly that.  Fortunately, all indications are that this guy is the cat's pajamas.  

This coaching staff likes to employ a fullback, which allows them to control angles in the running game out of a two-back package. The leading candidate (actually, the only candidate) is Trevon Wesco.

Funny, I was just saying that.  It really does bode well that Wesco does not have competition.  Hopefully the coaching staff sees something there.

Remember when tackle Chuma Edoga was considered a potential full-time starter? His roster spot is tenuous. He could be toast if the Jets sign free agent Morgan Moses. ...

Funny, I was just saying that too.  Edoga is sweating.

Four of the 12 cornerbacks are rookies, and Isaiah Dunn (undrafted) might be the best of the bunch. The Jets almost drafted him in the sixth round. ...

If Isaiah Dunn is a find, final cuts will be tough, tough, tough.

Tight end Chris Herndon, who sat out the final day with leg tightness, failed to distinguish himself this spring. Let's just say he needs a strong training camp.

Starting tight ends are found when they put on the pads.  I do not believe that any of our tight ends will dislodge Herndon and his fine inline blocking.  The real battle is for the backup job(s).

3. Silent safety: Marcus Maye blew off the media in minicamp, certainly out of character for him (not to mention a violation of the NFL media policy). Clearly, he didn't want to answer questions about his ongoing contract negotiations. Players answer contract questions all the time, especially this time of year. His silence spoke volumes.

Maye, who attended the mandatory camp after skipping the voluntary portion of the offseason, will play for the franchise-tag tender ($10.6 million) if he doesn't agree to a long-term deal by the July 15 deadline. This is a tough one to predict. Like most negotiations, it probably will go down to the deadline.

"We did miss him, to be completely honest," Jets defensive coordinator Jeff Ulbrich said. "But he's a guy that, in my short time getting to know him, is super eager to get caught up and to get up to speed with what we're doing. I'm excited about moving forward in training camp with him because he definitely will elevate this group in every way."

The poor starting safeties of the NFL.  Teams are tagging them since their tag number is lower than their fair market value.  Which is ridiculous.  I do not blame Maye for being perturbed.  I would be too.  That goes double since the Jets really need his leadership and he is a great fit for the Saleh scheme since he is good at both strong and free safety.  His all around skill set is perfect for an interchangeable safety. 

4. Backup plan: It doesn't sound like the Jets are planning to add a veteran quarterback, at least not based on Saleh's comments.

"I don't know if there’s much value, aside from being comfortable that, if the crap hits the fan, you have a veteran who's played football," he said.

But that's precisely the reason to add a veteran. If Wilson gets hurt in the preseason, would the Jets really open with James Morgan or Mike White, neither of whom has taken a regular-season snap? What kind of message does that send?

It sends the message that if Wilson goes down, none of the available veteran QBs are going to turn us into a playoff team so we might as well find out about Morgan and White. 

Saleh should know this better than most because of what happened with his previous organization. When the San Francisco 49ers had to go to the bench in 2017 and 2018, they turned to C.J. Beathard and Nick Mullens, neither of whom had played before. The 49ers were 6-10 and 4-12 in those seasons. Jimmy Garoppolo got hurt again in 2020, and they went 6-10 with Beathard and Mullens.

Yeah, but the 49ers were a good team.  We are in full rebuilding mode complete with a tear down and a new offense and defense.  Why on earth would we bring in a veteran QB? 

Some coaches like to have an older quarterback in the mentor role, but the value in that is debatable. What's not debatable is having the benefit of an experienced backup in case ... you know, the starter gets hurt or slumps. It's admirable Saleh wants to give White and Morgan a chance to develop, but the bottom line is winning games.

As I've said before, the Chicago Bears' Nick Foles should be a trade target. There's not much left in the free-agent cupboard. Robert Griffin III is the biggest name, and he hasn't done anything in a few years. Brian Hoyer, who piqued the Jets' interest last month, could shake free from the New England Patriots, but he has lost 17 straight starts.

Yeah, that's the ticket.  Cough up draft picks to acquire a veteran retread who is not going to turn us into a playoff team if Zach Wilson goes down for the count.   Remember your Forrest Gump: "Stupid is as stupid does".  If we can get Foles for a sixth round pick, then perhaps depending on salary.  Otherwise, roll with Morgan and White.  If Morgan and White fail to impress in training camp, then cut deeply and pick up what gets let go.  Waiver wire stuff is cheap. 

image.jpeg.0240f53a7034960950053e2d6ec85b6d.jpeg

Unless they change course and make a run at Foles, it looks like White and Morgan. That would be nice QB insurance in 2022, but not now.

This is why you write for ESPN.

5. Gang's all here: You may recall the NFLPA, citing health concerns, encouraged players to skip voluntary workouts -- and yet the Jets averaged about 80 players per day. Why? Guard Greg Van Roten, the team's union rep, told teammates it was in their best interest to attend. He cited last season's disappointment, the new coaching staff and the roster turnover as reasons why they needed to be there. It worked.

"I didn't think [staying away] was a good recipe for the players to follow," Van Roten said.

Not if they want to make this roster it wasn't.  The Jets have a ton of young players and a lot of decisions to make.  Be there or be square.

6. Q factor: Quinnen Williams, who sat out the offseason as he recovered from foot surgery, is expected to be ready for training camp. This is a big season for Williams, who is eligible for a new contract in 2022. If he delivers an encore performance, it will be interesting to see if the Jets pony up.

If he has an encore performance, we had better pony up. 

"I'm taking the steps to become eventually that dominant defensive tackle in the NFL," Williams said.

Amen to that.

7. The last word: "It's like this is the world's greatest honeymoon. Whenever a new group comes in, there's the benefit of the doubt, but adversity will be the cement that solidifies everything that's been built, going through those tough times." -- Saleh.

The man is great with the quotes. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 3
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

It's actually ridiculous, all these proclamations.  I'm seeing some guys on Twitter saying Elijah Moore will be the best WR on the Jets in at least a decade.  Huh?  I have high hopes like anyone but none of these players have seen a single NFL snap.... in fact, not even a practice with pads against NFL talent.

This is how people set themselves up for disappointment.  Sorry Coach Saleh, I gotta pump the brakes just a little on some of these guys from an expectations standpoint before we get to All Gas, No Brake!  Again, very excited about guys like Moore, AVT, Dunn, etc. but let's not size up their gold jackets just yet, mmmkay?

What I think is crazy is the dichotomy between how the rookie class is viewed relative to the second year guys.  Moore, Carter, Wilson, AVT are all being talked about as sure things.  But a segment of the fanbase has already given up on Mims, Becton, Ashtyn Davis and Perine.

Give these guys a chance to develop.  There is a learning curve moving from college to the NFL.  I am excited about what some of the year two guys can do this season.  Especially Becton and Mims.  Health is a concern, but I think both guys can be really good NFL players this season.  As long as they can get/stay on the field.  Hopefully Becton and AVT can anchor the OL for the foreseeable future.  And Moore and Mims are the young WRs who will grow with Wilson.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, Larz said:

ESPN cimini is reasonable. It’s so funny how he changes his tone based on who he’s writing for lol

Or maybe he finally sees something positive to write about. Any reporter who hasn’t been basically universally critical of the Jets the last ten years has no integrity.

• Sympathy 1

35 minutes ago, Lith said:

What I think is crazy is the dichotomy between how the rookie class is viewed relative to the second year guys.  Moore, Carter, Wilson, AVT are all being talked about as sure things.  But a segment of the fanbase has already given up on Mims, Becton, Ashtyn Davis and Perine.

Give these guys a chance to develop.  There is a learning curve moving from college to the NFL.  I am excited about what some of the year two guys can do this season.  Especially Becton and Mims.  Health is a concern, but I think both guys can be really good NFL players this season.  As long as they can get/stay on the field.  Hopefully Becton and AVT can anchor the OL for the foreseeable future.  And Moore and Mims are the young WRs who will grow with Wilson.

Agreed 100% people bailing on mims and calling becton soft were sizing him for a gold jacket last year. Like WTF happened this off-season that would warrant that type of 180. I think people just get infatuated by new players and get tired of players they have seen already faster than they should 

• Upvote 4

17 hours ago, Jethead said:

sometimes you just know. The first time I saw John Abraham I just knew. Moore has my spidey sense tingling. 

Yep. 

I had the "I just know" feeling watching Moore in college. 

I have been saying since draft night he will be one of our favorite players very soon. 

• Upvote 2

On 6/20/2021 at 5:03 PM, Larz said:

It's funny how fan opinion of him vacillates wildly whether he's lauding or criticizing the Jets. Jets fans wouldn't just kill the messenger, we'd hang his horse for good measure.

• Haha 2