Crowder's New Contract

46 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Rich Cimini

@RichCimini

Numbers on Jamison Crowder's restructured contract, per @Jason_OTC: 2021 base reduction from $10M to $5M, $4.5M of which is guaranteed --a 50% cut. Previously, had no guarantees. Cap charge drops from $11.375M to $6.35M. Still has his per-game roster bonus ($500K max). #Jets

1:10 PM · Jun 20, 2021

Basically what I expected to happen based on the Cole contract.  I had hoped that we would have converted his $10 million due this season into a two-year contract with the first year guaranteed at $5 million.  Instead we decided to let him walk after the season.  OK with me.  Glad to have him. 

PS - Note how the remaining portion of his signing bonus is still there mucking things up?  It is always better to front load deals if at all possible instead of giving signing bonuses imo.  If you must pay the player up front, then front load the deal.  Forget the signing bonus.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

You want to see Foley let go?

I'd keep him until we see how both Rankins (veteran, some injury history) and Marshall (that late round rookie from Arkansas) look.  Right now I'd suggest that Foley has the best risk/reward profile of those three.

If he goes the jets better get something decent for him imo.

Still a bit worried about the 'my guy' attitude at times in the NFL.   Saleh loves the latest guy they got from frisco because he has looked at him for a few years.  Does he really know some of our good dlineman?  Fatusaki, Phillips, etc.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, clayton163v said:

Basically what I expected to happen based on the Cole contract.  I had hoped that we would have converted his $10 million due this season into a two-year contract with the first year guaranteed at $5 million.  Instead we decided to let him walk after the season.  OK with me.  Glad to have him. 

PS - Note how the remaining portion of his signing bonus is still there mucking things up?  It is always better to front load deals if at all possible instead of giving signing bonuses imo.  If you must pay the player up front, then front load the deal.  Forget the signing bonus.

I don't understand this analysis of the signing bonus.  Do you have something against interest free loans?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

You want to see Foley let go?

I'd keep him until we see how both Rankins (veteran, some injury history) and Marshall (that late round rookie from Arkansas) look.  Right now I'd suggest that Foley has the best risk/reward profile of those three.

I don’t want anyone going who can help us dominate up front. If Shepherd, Rankins or Marshall can be equally good, maybe...just maybe JD puts another $2m in the bank or trades Fatukasi for a late round pick.

9 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Fantastic. No reason for Moses not to get what he’s looking for 

maybe it's not going to be moses.  seems to me players that are looking for teams after being cut are going to be gravitating to those teams that have money to spend.  douglas still has quite a bit left to throw around.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

I don’t want anyone going who can help us dominate up front. If Shepherd, Rankins or Marshall can be equally good, maybe...just maybe JD puts another $2m in the bank or trades Fatukasi for a late round pick.

DLine is one of the most interesting groups to monitor.  It is one place where they have a bunch of talent.   They added Lawson, Curry and Ronald Blair who they obviously liked from SF.  They drafted Marshall and seem to like Huff who I think is working at DE, while Zuniga is at OLB?  Even the UDFA from Michigan/Rutgers Dwumfour has gotten some write-up.  With Shepherd, Fatukasi, Philips, Franklin-Myers and guys like Tanzel Smart, I think they will pick the ones that fit best and hopefully roll someone that isn't as great a fit for 6th.  Maybe move more than one. 

I think Dwumfour and Tanzel Smart in particular are supposed to be good slashers that can't standup to double teams.  That wouldn't work for Rex, but seems like exactly what these guys want.  Some good players are going to be elsewhere.  I hope we get some value for them. Douglas seems to take getting value for these guys seriously. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

16 hours ago, Lurker89 said:

Saving 5 Mil and keeping Crowder while giving Crowder a a shot a decent contract at 28 y/o great for both sides. Hope he balls out and goes to a contender next year.

Really?  I hope he balls out and then plays for a contender here.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JerseyJoe67 said:

This restructure gives the Jets more flexibility to move him before the deadline if Elijah Moore keeps showing flashes he's ready to be the slot guy , opening day... I don't think Crowder is going to be here for the start of the season.

I think If anything, Crowder could be a guy that they trade before the deadline if anyone shows any interest for a sixth round pick or better as long as the rest of the WR corps is healthy and productive. Moore being ready for the slot has nothing to do with it, Joe Douglas will not want to be in the same situation the team was in last year at the position. Also, it’s pretty apparent that they see Moore as more than a slot. With Davis, Cole, and Moore on the field at the same time, it was Cole manning that spot. Between him and Berrios, they have the position covered, and it’s not even a position these guys really want to be featuring. I think they’d rather have two TEs or a FB on the field, but the talent at WR will dictate There being a lot of 3-WR sets this season. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

18 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Brilliant move by JD. $32m in Cap space   An additional $5m in savings with Fatukasi $2m and GVR $3m are available. Jets in a good position to pick up some LB talent from teams struggling with cap space, sign Moses and roll over a ton of $ for next year to sign some of our own talent in the next year or two

Don't forget Marcus Maye needs to get done and probably should be done before Moses.....

2 hours ago, peebag said:

Really?  I hope he balls out and then plays for a contender here.

I'm more optimistic than usual and think we are on the right track. Just going temper expectations and not jump all over the idea we will be contenders by next season.

I've been vocal about liking Crowder and letting him make his money. My thinking is that of he was in the long term plans we would have reduced pay and extended not just reduced pay. It looks like we are going to let him play to his market next off-season. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

Don't forget Marcus Maye needs to get done and probably should be done before Moses.....

No he does not..... JD will be going right up to the July 15th deadline for a new contract. If Maye's team doen not agree to fair compenstaion on an extension, then he plays on the tag.

Moses on the other hand I would like to see taken care of ASAP. However, Moses may wait and see which team sustains and injury in camp to get a better offer or gives it a little more time to squeeze some extra coin out of teams. Hopefully he signs with the Jets.

47 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

I'm more optimistic than usual and think we are on the right track. Just going temper expectations and not jump all over the idea we will be contenders by next season.

I've been vocal about liking Crowder and letting him make his money. My thinking is that of he was in the long term plans we would have reduced pay and extended not just reduced pay. It looks like we are going to let him play to his market next off-season. 

The market must have been VERY weak for Crowder for him to take the pay cut AND be forced into a competition with so many WR's, with a rookie QB under center.  

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Brilliant move by JD. $32m in Cap space   An additional $5m in savings with Fatukasi $2m and GVR $3m are available. Jets in a good position to pick up some LB talent from teams struggling with cap space, sign Moses and roll over a ton of $ for next year to sign some of our own talent in the next year or two

Plus $16 million come off the cap next year in Mac dead money

28 minutes ago, undertow said:

I'm surprised he accepted that kind of salary cut with the Jets.. I would have taken my chances on the open market and signed with a contender....glad he did tho this fanbase severely underrates this guy.

The WR market is about to start experiencing a downturn similar to the downturn the RB market experienced. This past year was very weak, with Corey Davis’ deal being one of the biggest of the offseason. It won’t be as pronounced as for RBs, but I suspect that second contracts for non-superstars will be tough to come by as colleges continue to produce NFL ready players in large numbers every year. Crowder probably wouldn’t’ve gotten $5M back in March, no way he would’ve gotten anything close to that this time of year. That’s the leverage the Jets had and used. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, slats said:

The WR market is about to start experiencing a downturn similar to the downturn the RB market experienced. This past year was very weak, with Corey Davis’ deal being one of the biggest of the offseason. It won’t be as pronounced as for RBs, but I suspect that second contracts for non-superstars will be tough to come by as colleges continue to produce NFL ready players in large numbers every year. Crowder probably wouldn’t’ve gotten $5M back in March, no way he would’ve gotten anything close to that this time of year. That’s the leverage the Jets had and used. 

I get what you are saying but if Cole got 5M then Crowder would have got at least 5M he's a similar player if not better...also guys like Samuels and Davis both got 10M per in the offseason so I'm not so sure the WR free agent market is as weak as you think.  I don't disagree salary cap strategy wise I wouldn't be paying guys like Crowder much but if I were him I wouldn't be accepting 4.5 mil from a bad team going into free agency. ...I think it's more likely Crowder has bought into the system rather then thinking he can't get 4 or 5 mil from a good team.

44 minutes ago, undertow said:

I get what you are saying but if Cole got 5M then Crowder would have got at least 5M he's a similar player if not better...also guys like Samuels and Davis both got 10M per in the offseason so I'm not so sure the WR free agent market is as weak as you think.  I don't disagree salary cap strategy wise I wouldn't be paying guys like Crowder much but if I were him I wouldn't be accepting 4.5 mil from a bad team going into free agency. ...I think it's more likely Crowder has bought into the system rather then thinking he can't get 4 or 5 mil from a good team.

Cole can play outside, Crowder can’t. I like the player, but Cole’s contract kinda demonstrates my point; Crowder wasn’t worth $5M/year on the open market. He’ll be a free agent next year, so we’ll both get to see what he might actually be worth. 

• Upvote 2

On 6/20/2021 at 5:23 PM, clayton163v said:

It's not a signing bonus, it's a roster bonus. Two totally different things. 

2 hours ago, choon328 said:

I said right away this would be the case. Guarantee him some money but cut the base to save money. Win win for each side. 

But wouldn’t the entire amount have become due  anyway at beginning of season?

I think your call was extend a year at lower base but with a guarantee spread over 2 IIRC.

54 minutes ago, jgb said:

But wouldn’t the entire amount have become due  anyway at beginning of season?

I think your call was extend a year at lower base but with a guarantee spread over 2 IIRC.

The Jets would've released him before the season. That's why they had leverage.

This is what I said on June 4th

"Decrease his base salary but guarantee it. So instead of $11 million with no guaranteed money it decreases to $5-$6 million fully guaranteed.  Saves cap space for a guy like Morgan Moses and gives Crowder some financial stability

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1