Jun 21, 2021 at 08:30 AM

IMG_6717-greenberg-head

Ethan Greenberg

Team Reporter

•  
  •  
  •  

pff-lhf-wr-updated-SZ2_7059

Pro Football Focus recently published an article posting the five most improved WR units in the NFL and the Jets came in at No. 1.

"There have been times over the past two seasons when Jamison Crowder was the primary receiving option for the Jets," PFF NFL Analyst Ben Linsley wrote." Crowder is a solid complementary piece to have in the slot, but he's not exactly someone who will strike fear into defenses. And New York has added enough depth at wide receiver this offseason that Crowder could realistically be released in a move that would save the team over $10 million in 2021.

"Elijah Moore stands out as Crowder's potential replacement in the slot after the Jets spent the No. 34 overall pick on the Ole Miss wide receiver in the 2021 NFL Draft. Moore's combination of speed, quicks and toughness is ideal inside, but I wouldn't pigeonhole him in the slot just yet. Few receivers in college football were more productive than Moore in 2020. He put up over 80 receptions and nearly 1,200 receiving yards in just eight games with the Rebels.

"Free-agent acquisitions Corey Davis and Keelan Cole might not be true No. 1 options, but they can improve this passing offense. Davis was one of the top free-agent wide receivers on the market. He has come up big in contested catch situations these last few years and is coming off a career-high 85.3 PFF grade last season in Tennessee. Cole brings some inside-outside versatility, having played both roles in Jacksonville.

"Fourth-round running back selection Michael Carter is worth a mention, as well. Carter earned an 88.6 receiving grade with UNC in 2020, and as the PFF Draft Guide puts it, he's an accomplished receiver who can pants linebackers in coverage.

"Between those additions to the receiving corps and the Alijah Vera-Tucker pick to solidify the offensive line, New York is building around Zach Wilson the right way."

Linsley didn't mention second-year wideout Denzel Mims, who was selected in the second round in the 2020 draft. Mims, who missed most of training camp and the first eight games of the season with hamstring injuries, played in nine games (eight starts) in 2020 and had 23 catches and 357 yards (15.5 avg). He had at least 40 receiving yards in each of his first six games.

The Green & White have 14 WRs on the roster: Davis, Crowder, Cole, Moore, Vyncint Smith, Jeff Smith, Braxton Berrios, Josh Doctson, Josh Malone, Lawrence Cager, Jaleel Scott, D.J. Montgomery, Manasseh Bailey and Matt Cole.

• Upvote 3
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Our #1 Wr for about 3 games last year is playing in a pro lacrosse league now.

We also have the most improved coaching staff in the NFL.  And that's without really knowing a thing about the new coaching staff.

Not hard to upgrade from literally the worst unit in the NFL.

Posted Images

I mean we went from an F-minus to a C+. It's an improvement! If Mims/Moore can turn into big contributors then it'll probably be looked at as a B/B+ group by the end of the year. Not bad actually.

• Upvote 1
14 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Not hard to upgrade from literally the worst unit in the NFL.

Lol true and it definitely was. Assuming we stay healthy I think our WR corps will be at worst above average in the NFL which is a huge upgrade. If Moore is as good as it seems he might be our WR corps could be Top 10 or higher. No doubt Zach's weapons are like night and day compared to Sam's. 

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Lol true and it definitely was. Assuming we stay healthy I think our WR corps will be at worst above average in the NFL which is a huge upgrade. If Moore is as good as it seems he might be our WR corps could be Top 10 or higher. No doubt Zach's weapons are like night and day compared to Sam's. 

Davis, Cole, Crowder - is probably the best WR trio we've had since Marshall, Decker, Enunwa - if Moore and Mims can live up their draft billing, yeah, we could easily crack into the top 10 category...that said, those 2 are the key.  If either one of them emerge into a player you cant take off the field, this is a very strong unit.  

All that said, I dont think we have the dominant, always open guy so the running game is going to be key to keep the passing game healthy.

• Upvote 2
6 minutes ago, jgb said:

JD has done a good job with the WR corps but I do not understand the Cole love. 

Cole is a sneaky good weapon who's now being overrated by the fanbase....the same fanbase whos been dying to get rid of Crowder for 6 months who's a better player.

• Post of the Week 1
4 minutes ago, undertow said:

Cole is a sneaky good weapon who's now being overrated by the fanbase....the same fanbase whos been dying to get rid of Crowder for 6 months who's a better player.

The guy who fans should really be pulling for to emerge IMHO is Mims. Elite level athlete. If he can put it together (big if) he can be a bona fide star and game-winner.

Cole will never be a star. His ceiling is dependable contributor — don’t get me wrong those kind of guys form the meat of any team — but there are lots of them and they can be found in lots of places.

• Upvote 3

talent on paper doesn't win games.  let's see how this group performs on the field before calling them the most improved.  actually most improved isn't such a reach considering with the injuries and players they had last season but they still have to work as a team and make those catches.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
7 hours ago, jgb said:

The guy who fans should really be pulling for to emerge IMHO is Mims. Elite level athlete. If he can put it together (big if) he can be a bona fide star and game-winner.

Cole will never be a star. His ceiling is dependable contributor — don’t get me wrong those kind of guys form the meat of any team — but there are lots of them and they can be found in lots of places.

But the Jets weren't even finding THOSE types under Maccagnan.  The top, middle and bottom of the roster always sucked.  So at least getting the middle and/or bottom part of the roster right, maybe, is a big improvement from the prior regime.

• Upvote 2
14 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

But the Jets weren't even finding THOSE types under Maccagnan.  The top, middle and bottom of the roster always sucked.  So at least getting the middle and/or bottom part of the roster right, maybe, is a big improvement from the prior regime.

Macc sucked we know this. Doesn’t make me look at Cole any less objectively. Also even moron Macc found a guy like that.  (Only better). Robby. 

PS I’ve said it’s an improvement in this thread 

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, DJF71 said:

Its an upgrade if Wilson is better than Darnold. 

This is very true although there can only be one worst starting QB in the NFL.

• Upvote 1
14 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Mac’s rosters were good the problem was Sam

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2
17 hours ago, jgb said:

Macc sucked we know this. Doesn’t make me look at Cole any less objectively. Also even moron Macc found a guy like that.  (Only better). Robby. 

PS I’ve said it’s an improvement in this thread 

I liked Robby and wanted to keep him, but I don’t know if he has a role on this team. JD favors versatility, and Robby is strictly a Z. I think he’d be behind Mims and Moore in this offense at that position. Cole can line up at any WR spot, making him a valuable 4th WR. He had a couple good practices, which is better than bad ones, but I don’t see anyone anointing him. Just a solid depth piece on a unit that had none last year. 

3 hours ago, Albaniajet said:

Mac’s rosters were good the problem was Sam

Darnold was the biggest problem with the roster, yes.  But his rosters were not "good".  When the best player on your roster is an overrated Box Safety, and you have no LT, awful WR's, no pass rush and terrible Corners, you have the worst roster in the NFL.  Every other roster in the league at least contained 1-2 of those elements.  

Mike Maccagnan was the worst GM in NFL history, and its really not even close.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Darnold was the biggest problem with the roster, yes.  But his rosters were not "good".  When the best player on your roster is an overrated Box Safety, and you have no LT, awful WR's, no pass rush and terrible Corners, you have the worst roster in the NFL.  Every other roster in the league at least contained 1-2 of those elements.  

Mike Maccagnan was the worst GM in NFL history, and its really not even close.

Sorry, but Matt Millen retired that title. Macc can have a lock on 2nd worst.

32 minutes ago, Jethead said:

Sorry, but Matt Millen retired that title. Macc can have a lock on 2nd worst.

Nope!  Matt Millen drafted Calvin Johnson, Shaun Rogers, Jeff Backus, Dominic Raiola, Cliff Avril, Cory Redding, and Andre' Goodman.  

Mike Maccagnan, meanwhile, drafted DT's and Box Safeties.  And as bad as he was at drafting, the FA's and contracts he handed out were even worse.